main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga - PT Before the Saga The Negotiator (Obi-Wan Fanfiction Summer Olympics Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by devilinthedetails, Jul 7, 2020.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 19, 2019
    Title: The Negotiator

Author: devilinthedetails

Genre: A variety.

Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi; Qui-Gon Jinn.

Summary: A compilation of stories written for the Fanfiction Summer Olympics focusing on Obi-Wan Kenobi. An index of entries is found below.

Index:

Stuck in the Present. 110 Word Hurdle. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn. General; Friendship. Post #2.

Tragic Irony. Single Sentence Shotput. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. General; Angst; Drama. Post #5.

Peace and Wisdom. 400 Word Cross Country. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn. General; Friendship. Post #7.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  2. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Title: Stuck in the Present

Genre: General; Friendship

Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi; Qui-Gon Jinn.

Event: 110 Word Hurdle

Summary: Obi-Wan is stuck in the present though he remembers the past.

Stuck in the Present

He’d become a Master on the Council before he turned forty. Respected by Yoda and Mace Windu for his wisdom though he never thought of himself as wise. Praised for his patience, although he could remember being an impatient Padawan—eager to race through the stages of his life from Padawan to Knight to Master. His Master had tried to make him slow down—urged him to appreciate the space in between progressions—but he with the obstinacy and ambition of youth ignored this advice. Now he only wished he could be a Padawan again, but even a Jedi Master couldn’t turn back time and was stuck in the present.

Kahara likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host Who Loves Fanfics & RPGs star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful introspection and I can well imagine Obi-Wan wishes he could return to the innocence and "ease" of being a Padawan, particularly with Jinn. :) @};-

Kahara and devilinthedetails like this.
  4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    This was a great glimpse of introspection, and a fantastic way to open up this collection! It's true; Obi-Wan really is known and respected for all of the things he struggled with - and Qui-Gon patiently strove to teach him - as a Padawan. Of course he wants to go back in time and tell Qui-Gon as much, and it's painful that he can't. Yet, in his own way, Qui-Gon knew then, and still knows even now. [face_love]

Gorgeous work with this! I can't wait to read more. :D

5. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much for commenting!:) The length of the 110 Word Hurdle has so far invited me to become introspective with my characters. I'm so glad that you felt this was a wonderful bit of introspection and that you could imagine Obi-Wan looking back with longing on the innocence and "ease" of being a Padawan. It sometimes seems in life that when we are young, we want desperately to be older, and when we start getting older, we wish to be young again...Some more introspection might be ahead for Obi-Wan in this Pentathlon, so I hope you'll continue to enjoy it!

@Mira_Jade Thank you so much for commenting!:) I'm so flattered that you found this to be a great glimpse of introspection and a fantastic way to open this collection. I hope you'll continue to enjoy where this collection goes next. One of my favorite aspects of Obi-Wan's character arc in the Prequels is that we can see how he develops from someone who struggles with impatience in TPM to pretty much the Master of patience in ROTS. So you're right that I could imagine that he'd want to tell Qui-Gon about how much he has grown, but, of course, Qui-Gon is in a sense able to see how much Obi-Wan has grown and always did see that potential in Obi-Wan. So this piece was very poignant and nostalgic for me to write. I hope you'll enjoy where the Pentathlon goes next!

Title: Tragic Irony

Genre: General; Angst; Drama

Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi; Anakin Skywalker

Event: Single Sentence Shotput

Summary: Obi-Wan mourns Anakin's fall to the Dark Side.

Tragic Irony

Obi-Wan was known as the Negotiator, but he couldn’t negotiate Anakin—his best friend and brother—back from the Dark Side, and the tragic irony of that broke something inside him.

Kahara likes this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A "tragic irony" indeed. :( =D= Although Anakin's fall was part choice and part manipulation, I can understand Kenobi's sense of responsibility--thinking if only, at the very least, if only they'd seen the warning signs of a Sithly scheme. [face_thinking]

7. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much for commenting:) My heart broke for him as I wrote about him observing this tragic irony. I agree that Anakin's fall was part Anakin's own choice and part manipulation by the cunning Palpatine, but I can understand how Obi-Wan would blame himself and feel a sense of guilt and responsibility even though in my opinion he is not at fault for Anakin's downfall. I think it's natural that he would feel regret and think of how if only he could somehow have saved Anakin=(( But this story will be a more peaceful one for Obi-Wan to make up for the heartbreak of last one, I promise.

Title: Peace and Wisdom

Genre: General; Friendship

Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi; Qui-Gon Jinn

Event: 400 Word Cross-Country

Summary: Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon meditate on the Jedi Code in the Room of a Thousand Fountains.

Peace and Wisdom

Obi-Wan sat cross-legged and close-eyed with fingers folded together over his knees, meditating as he’d been taught since childhood. He was perched on a large, moss-covered stone. Behind him, one of the Room of a Thousand Fountains’ many waterfalls cascaded down rocks into a rippling pool, misting him as it descended.

Beside him, he could hear his Master’s breathing and heart beating in unison with his.

He was contemplating the Code as he often did during meditative sessions. That prompted him to ask Qui-Gon, “Master, what do you think is the most important part of being a Jedi?”

Obi-Wan expected his Master to reply with something about serving the galaxy or being in tune with the Living Force, two of his most common instructional refrains. Instead he turned the question back on Obi-Wan. “What I think doesn’t matter. What do you most want as a Jedi?”

Remembering a verse from the Code he’d recited since he could string a sentence together—there is no emotion; there is peace—and reflecting that he most wanted to feel that calm sensation of being in harmony with everyone and everything in the universe, he replied simply, “Peace.”

That one word seemed too small and humble to encapsulate all his ambitions and aspirations. He recalled another passage he’d memorized years ago: there is no ignorance; there is knowledge. That single declaration summed up the long hours he spent reading holobooks and listening to his Master and Yoda, trying to gain wisdom that could only come from experience he didn’t yet have.

With this whirling in his mind, he added, “Wisdom too, Master.”

“Which do you want most?” Qui-Gon pressed gently.

“Can’t it be both?” Obi-Wan’s forehead furrowed.

“No.” Qui-Gon chuckled softly, and Obi-Wan could feel his mentor’s amusement in the Force. “You can only want one thing most. You can’t have clarity of thought and purpose otherwise.”

Through the Living Force to which Qui-Gon was always urging him to become more connected, Obi-Wan attuned himself to the waterfall’s lulling music. Serenity flooded him like a river, and he said, “I want peace most, Master.”

“Very wise indeed.” Qui-Gon was smiling—Obi-Wan didn’t have to open his eyes to see that since he could hear it in his Master’s tone. “Maybe you can have both after all, my young apprentice.”

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent, I can definitely understand why he would want both, and yet settle on peace/serenity. The setting also inspires that tranquil mood. :)

9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much for commenting!:) Like you, I can definitely understand why Obi-Wan would want both wisdom and peace, since those tend to be the two things I want the most, but then when he has to choose picking peace, since admittedly that is what I would do as well. So I'm so glad that you felt you could understand Obi-Wan's thought process with regard to that. I was really hoping that the setting of the Room of a Thousand Fountains, which always sounds like such a beautiful, calming place, would add to that air of tranquility in the piece, so I'm so happy to hear that was the case for you!

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  10. Da'niel

Da'niel Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2020
    Excellent scene :) Turning the choice back around at the very end ("Maybe you can have both after all") is a classic Jedi move. You have a good ear for Qui-Gon.

11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Da'niel Thank you so much for commenting!:D I'm so flattered that you found this scene to be an excellent one, and I always love those sort of Jedi mind tricks and twists like "Maybe you can have both after all" so I couldn't resist including one in this story, and I'm so happy that you enjoyed it. Qui-Gon is one of my absolute favorite Star Wars characters and I always want to do him justice, so it makes me so happy that you felt I had a good ear for him.

12. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Stuck in the Present: Nice look at the small circle of life; wishing to grow and achieve until all that's left is the desire to return to our youth when life was much more simple. =D= I can well imagine Obi-Wan wishing for that.

Tragic Irony: You manage to convey so much in that single sentence regarding Obi-Wan feelings about Anakin's fall. Well done!^:)^

Peace and Wisdom: Lovely, peaceful scene. :) Such a wonderful setting for such reflections.