main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE NEW AND IMPROVED SUPER-DUPER COSTUME AND PROPS THREAD !

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by darth_hair, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I pulled out the overskirt to work on it. I have all the pieces cut, though one section has to be re-cut since the grain was going the wrong way. I figured before I recut it and sewed the sections together, I would pin and give a rough fit. Which... it doesn't. Fit, that is. Top band is way too big. At first I wondered if it was just size difference over time, since I'd cut these 5 years ago. But then I measured the cut circumference and compared to my current measurements... and it should fit, or even be small. So I'm confused. Maybe the fabric is stretching when I try it on? There is a lot of it and it gets heavy all together. Maybe the weight is stretching it? I'm going to try pinning a bias tape band on the top to hold it together. :confused:

2. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Apparently I haven't really sewn much in the last year. I pulled my machine out to hem some jeans this morning, and my cats were all like "WTF is that thing???". Curious to to sniff and paw at the new thing out in the room, but then bolting when it starts making noise. I pause, they creep back, I start it again and they run.

FanForced likes this.
  3. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I believe I have tracked down the source of the skirt-fit problem.

The skirt is supposed to go up to just below the bra. Picture a roughly hour-glass shape figure, and imagine trying to fasten a skirt around the top half of the hourglass, half-way up. Now picture the skirt sliding down the top half of the hour-glass and coming to rest at the same circumference in the bottom half. Of course there is nothing to make it want to stay on the top half, and everything making it want to slide down. Curse you, gravity! :oops:

I'm going to have to fasten it to the corset in order to make it stay up. I just don't know if the corset is going to be enough to hold up all this weight. How the heck do women wear strapless long, heavy dresses, anyway?

I need a drink!

4. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Every. Single. Time. Somehow every single time I sew something, I manage to get a piece sewn with the wrong sides together. *sigh* Now I get to go and seam-rip a lot of tight zig-zag stitching. :rolleyes:

5. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I need to make two decisions regarding the skirts.

1) How do I attach them to the corset? It would be nice to do so in a detachable manner rather than permanently sewing them on. Plus, whatever I do, I have to attach to the corset inner lining without sewing through the outer corset fabric. So do I set up velcro all the way around? A series of snaps? Hooks? The advantage of the velcro would be that it distributes the weight pull evenly and continuously around the circumference, and is easy to put on and off. But would it be strong enough to hold the skirt weight? Snaps might be stronger, but will the weight make it droop in between snaps?

2) Where do I put the opening for the skirt? To pull this on and off I should have an opening. Should I put a slit in back? Or, given the skirt construction, keep the wrap-around nature of the design open and pull it on and off that way, ie un-wrapping it?

Any suggestions? (costume picture)

6. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I think the wrap might be easiest. I have no clue about the lining, and attachment, though.

7. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I've been chatting with someone on one of the Stargate costuming boards, and she said she actually made two corsets for this costume. She attached the skirts to the undercorset, giving that undercorset heavier boning. It handles the heavy weight and attachment issues, and then the decorative outer layer corset went on over this and didn't have to be burdened with all these problems. Clever. I think I will see if I can do something similar; it would avoid having to figure out how to add attachments to the existing corset without having stitching show through to the top material layer. My concern is that I'll have to see if I can fit a second layer under my existing corset. Hypothetically I think I could do either opening method with this, aside from having to fit it all under the outer corset.

8. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I am hearing S__C's voice in my head, saying "just cut the darn fabric!" [face_blush][face_nail_biting]

9. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    [face_laugh] She told me that story.

10. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Ha. I bet. Talk about infamous! Poor Kim, I drove her up the wall. :p

Just spent ages tracking down altered pattern pieces for this corset and trying to figure out what was what and how I did it first time around. My final modified pattern had some pieces on tissue paper and some as fabric from the last mock-up. Sadly I didn't label which of the latter were the right ones, so that took a bit of figuring. (I'm starting a manilla envelope organizing scheme...now.) Tomorrow I'll see if I have any heavy material appropriate for an under-corset squirreled away here, or if I'll have to pick some up.

The skirts are finally done cutting and panels are sewed together. Just need to attach them into waistband and finish the hem edges. I need to do a lettuce leaf finish, so I'll probably go over a friend's house to use her serger for that part.

11. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    Anyone interested in my Tusken? Helmet made from a kit by Jeff with aluminum doohikies, gaffi stick included, footwear size 10, I can get pictures later, let me know if you want and we can figure out a price and stuff.....

12. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
  13. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I think the real reason the Goa'uld conquered the galaxy was so they wouldn't have to do their own sewing.

14. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    So. My corset pattern doesn't call for boning at the back center where the closure goes. Should I add it anyway for more support? Or are you not supposed to have boning next to hook/eye or zipper or whatever?

15. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    From what I've heard, boning next to the closure is a good idea, and the corsets I have both have it there.

16. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks, QHM!

17. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    Who has what going on?

18. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm all costumed out for the moment... but I do find myself tempted to make a Tauriel costume for this Dec. Only one letter off, after all! :D

Katsu_MaRoy likes this.
  19. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
    I will have a Slappy Squirrel costume. Because of reasons.

20. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    What is slappy squirrel?

I was costumed out. Not going to do anything more for quite a while.

Then I went to a BBQ with my comic-con roommates. First, one of them said she was totally wanting to do a Stargate team costume. D'oh! I'd been thinking of one of these for ages, and I love doing things in groups. Second, another friend mentioned that two of them would have new Tardis dresses, and how popular Doctor Who would be this year with the 50th anniversary and all. D'oh again! Now I wanted to do a DW costume as well.

My first inclination was Clara's red dress. Upon a little research I discovered a side of costuming I'd never been on before - looking for "alternates" or "alts", commercially available items similar to the screen-worn ones. All my other costumes have been unique, not something you could buy at a store. Along the way, I read that there was a semi-ok "alt" dress for one of her other outfits, available at a local store for only $15. I feel that it's not as recognizable as the red dress, but local. $15. Hard to beat, so I got it.

I'd still like the red one, though. It was custom-made. One can find regular red dresses, but the asymmetrical fold across the neckline is unique. I don't have time to make one from scratch, so... the best potential alt people seem to have found online, as far as I can judge, is in the UK. Pretty reasonable price for both dress and shipping. I'm not sure if it is long enough, though. The real dress is short, but I can't tell if this might be even shorter. And then there is the question of whether I can fudge some alteration to mimic the look of that fold across the neckline. Working with just the material at hand (rather than cutting a new front panel), best I can think of is to cut a strip of material from somewhere else on the dress, fold it over, sew across where the fold goes, and then press it flat such that it centers over the attachment seam, hiding it. If that makes sense?

I think I was happier when I wasn't planning anything for comic con.

21. QueenHighMistress

May 8, 2005
  22. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Will start working on AL's Umbrella Corp outfit for Halloween. Does that count? :D

23. jedijaysin

jedijaysin Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 15, 2011
    How much are u asking?

24. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    Yesterday I finished 2 RSO style shirts, one X-Wing inspired. The X-Wing inspired one has a beret with an X-Wing pin and a garter belt with a QHM custom made rebel emblem on it. Today I am working on 2 long chemises, one with 3/4 sleeves, one with long sleeves. I am also working on several pairs of bloomers. And whatever else comes to mind.

25. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    Already spoken for sweetie, sorry!