main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New and Improved Video Game Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by BFett88, Jan 8, 2007.

1. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    So I was to lazy to go and see if I could find the old video game thread, so I made a new one.

So what video games are people playing?

I myself am in the middle of Resistance: Fall of Man for the PS3 and The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess for the Wii. Both are really fun, I am only through the third dungeon in Zelda and I am over 25 hours into it.

I have put a couple of games on hold until I am done with the two. I still need to play FF12 and Gears of War. I have them but no time to play; oh I also have Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I have also been playing Guitar Hero 2, that game rules.

I was also thinking, we have a large community of gamers out there and we can?t play all of the video games(but some of us try). I was thinking that maybe people could make game suggestions in this thread and say what type of game it is and why your recommend it.

I am always looking for a new great game. I myself will compile a list of games I recommend in the next couple of days.

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    The wife and I are currently playing Lego SW 2 (Original Trilogy). It's a lot of fun, and the kidses enjoy watching.

What are your thoughts about Marvel Ultimate Alliance? I was wondering if that might be one she would enjoy playing, seeing as she has enjoyed watching the Spider man and X-Men movies.

3. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    In the past month I have played and beat republic commando (beat that a few times), Fable, KOTOR 2 and simpsons hit and run.

4. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    I actually was trying yesterday and found that it was locked and Pimpbot is the author so it's just as well you did Bfett.

I have been playing the snot out of Justice League Heroes. Very much like the X-men legend engine and lots of fun if you like the RPG with heroes aspect.
    OBW, Marvel Alliance is very similar to this game and I have played that as well. It's really good and has super killer eye-candy graphics but requires some devotion to get the most out of the gameplay. Rent it at least if you can.

I jumped back onto SW Ep III for the Xbox. That is a seriously tough game and I need, like, an extra finger to do all the moves and use the force. Yikes!

I was also playing Destroy All Humans. That's just nutty! 8-}

5. BFett88

Dec 5, 2003
    Republic Commando was really cool. I got about half way through it and just never went back to it. Not sure why. I don't like many Star Wars games. There are some I love, but some just are not very fun.

Marvel Ultimate Allience is very much like X Men Legends. It is alot of fun if you like comic book characters. It is really cool to make a team out of Captin America, Iron Man, Spider Man and Wolverine. That is my group that I use.

It is very much like Guantlet Legends a hack and slash game with RPG elements thrown in.

I would recomend it, but if I was you I would rent it first.

I tried to get into Destroy All Humans, but I just started to get board with it. I love the idea, but the game just could not capture my interests.

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Right now, working on...

WoW -- Recently changed servers and moved to where half the people I know IRL play. Once the expansion comes out, that'll add tons more stuff to do, and everyone will be making new hottie Blood Elf toons to start over with. Can't wait to get my lvl 19 pvp twink Draenei, either. woot.

Other PC games -- I just picked up Bible Black and started working on that. I've seen the whole series, and had no idea it started with a game. Ummm...I can't say much, except that you should be 18+ to Google it. [face_whistling]

Consoles -- Lego Star Wars 2, and Metroid Prime (almost old skool) -- both on Gamecube. Working on them with the little girl.

Handhelds -- Working on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue on the DS with the little girl. I also picked up Metroid Pinball and Final Fantasy III. woot.

Sounds like I'm doing a lot, but 90% of my gaming happens after 11pm after everyone's asleep...soooo...it's not going too fast.

7. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Majority of my gametime goes to WoW, though. I have more PC games than I know what to do with, but games are funner with other people. If I had my choice, it'd be a different game, but we've all sort of compromised on a game where we can all spend time together since we're all so spread out.

It's a lot easier to be fanatical about something when there are other fanatics around. Just think if The Church started up it's own MMO where you got to fight heretics and burn witches -- it would turn all the world's nerds into the next army of the Crusades.

Thankfully, we're just plotting the demise of mankind and conjuring demons.

8. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Unfortunately, that have made that game: www.leftbehindgames.com

And I'll say that as a Christian, I find this game repulsive. Not exactly someting that generates good press, IMHO. I have no problem defending myself or my family, but to make a video game about this is just bad form. [face_plain]

9. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    *wHoOp WhOoP wHoOp WhOoP!!!*

Quick! Religious discussion coming! Somebody change the subject! Somebody talk about how cute "Nintendogs" is on the DS!

Unless we want to change the subject to "why we hate FotF...and why Rachel's mom and her littlest brother don't like me." [face_devil]

BTW -- Nintendogs is really cute. Isabel loves it. It's like a real dog...without the mess, noise, expenditure on food, smell, mess, noise, and smell.

And you can make them wear silly hats.

10. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I love putting the disguises on during Lego SW. What's even funnier is when they put on a Graucho Marx disguise on an X-Wing or the Mellenium Falcon. [face_laugh]

11. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I got to rebuild my Mon Calamari Jedi from SWG in LSW2. I'm so happy.

12. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I like mixing a Boba Fett with a Sith. It gives you both thermal detonators and lightsaber and force powers. The best of all worlds. [face_devil]

13. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Currently Playing:

PS2
    Kingdom Hearts - I picked it up after it hit the Greatist Hits list years ago. Got to the boss level on/in Monstro the Whale, couldn't beat it and left it to pursue other games. Recently, I popped it back in, beat the level and have since carried on. I think that KH is a fine, fine game. Plan on getting both Chain of Memories (GBA) and KH2 when I beat this one.

Star Wars Lego 2 - playing it with the kids, but mostly just watching them play. They had a blast with the first one.

Battlefront 2

Game Boy Advance
    Mario Golf - on again/off again. It's such a fun game.

Wario Ware Twisted - again, on again/off again.

And I'm looking to pick up Mario/Luigi Superstars in the next week or so...

14. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I just beat Twilight Princess a couple weeks ago and I'm currently trying to find all the heart pieces and Poes (found all the golden bugs and wind-rock things without a strategy guide!). Of course I throw in Wii Sports every now and then as well.

On the PC, I play Madden 07 (a crappy port of 06, not anything like the 360 version) every now that then as well. Though, after D-Will passed away, I haven't been able to bring myself to play as the Broncos. I'm also eagerly awaiting KOTOR 3 but who knows when that will be out for the PC.

For the GameCube, I found Metroid Prime 2 at a thrift store for $6, so I'll have to get that one beat before the new one comes out. I also want to go back and play Windwaker again to see how I like it compared to TP.

15. BFett88

Dec 5, 2003
    So how many hours did you put into Twilight Princess?

Did you like it. I just got the Master Sword and I am about 25 hours in. I have every heart piece that you can get so far.

16. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I loved it. At the end I was kind of wishing it was longer, but looking back at my play time, I guess 70 hours is long enough! I could have gotten through it a little faster, but I spent (wasted) a good 4 hours on the sky dungeon after not being able to figure out how to get through a couple of rooms (the strategy guide would've come in handy for those but I wanted to get through it without one).

17. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Before I'm out...

I picked up Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis for the DS today.

Awesome. New twist on the Mario/DK games...made into a puzzle game very similar to Sega's Chu Chu Rocket (which I also own for the GBA and became addicted to for a short period of time). It's close to "Lemmings" as well. If I had to describe it, it would be a mixture of the original Mario Bros. + Chu Chu Rocket + Lemmings.

18. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    the gf and I have been playing the minigames on Madden '07 for the Wii a lot lately. I also downloaded Gunstar Heroes from the Wii Shop and have been playing that here and there. Good times. It's like Contra on crack. I downloaded Super Mario Bros too, but after getting schooled by my gf it lost its nostalgic appeal (yes, I hang my head in shame).

I want to get Zelda Twilight Princess, but I've forbidden myself from buying it until after this semester. I'm afraid I'll spend too much time playing that and not enough time doing homework...*shrug*

I also need to go back and finish KOTOR and HALO so I can pick up their sequels and catch up...

19. BFett88

Dec 5, 2003
    I was playing Metroid Prime 2 for a while I got about a third of the way into it and I got a little board. I know it is a good game but I would say Metroid Prime is a much better game. But they are both alot of fun.

If you get a chance you should pick up Resident Evil 4. That game is really good and really freaky. I think you can get it used on the Cube for like 15 bucks, not bad.

So I have been seeing PS3's everywhere lately but I have yet to see a Wii in the store since I got mine on day one. I wonder if Sony is going to slip a little this generation??

20. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Yeah I'm pretty surprised that Wiis are in such higher demand than PS3s. In a way I'm sort of pulling for the PS3 because I want Blu-Ray to win over HD-DVD, simply because Blu-Ray is better quality and has higher disc capacity. Anyway, I guess I'm not the only one around here playing Wii in the middle of the night. Last night after I turned off my TV and was heading to bed, I could hear the faint sound of Link taking on multiple adversaries from the apartment above me.

Hey JD, how do you and your gf like the controls on Madden? How fun is it compared to using a regular controller?

21. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Blu-ray will definitely take over, but right now only people willing to buy a PS3 care about it.

Stats from NexGenWars for today...

360: 9,885,303
    PS3: 1,081,620
    Wii: 3,734,702

The 360's been out forever, though, and it's almost reasonably priced. Microsoft has also been able to muscle a few developers to make games only for their system (Gears of War...blah blah blah). The Wii is new (in the sense that the concept itself is more interactive than getting fat on a couch), innovative, and fun. You can buy a 360 + Wii for the same price as a decked out PS3, and you get more fun (if you have the time...which I don't).

The PS3 is just...the PS2...only faster and considerably more expensive than anything out there. Not surprised at all that it's getting buried. [face_plain] Sony has a tendency to ruin anything they touch -- they host almost a dozen MMOs and they haven't even captured a fraction of the marketshare that WoW has. I'll have to dig up stats for that, too -- Sony's usually secretive about subscriptions -- their games usually have less than 50,000 subscribers. LOL.

At one point, just going off the Star Wars brand, Star Wars Galaxies was in the hundreds of thousands of subscriptions, and none of us wanted to even try out WoW. Then, after a series of horrible updates, nerfs, and complete game re-designs, everyone left. You can see the jump in WoW subscriptions at the same time, though -- it went from 6.5 million to 7.5 million in just a few months.

22. Sith_Lord_Draco

Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    one game i play on pc that is some what fun is Silkroad online(MMORPG), and i just got my character up to lvl 30, let's just say it is a free verison of world of warcraft.:D

-Donovan

23. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Interesting...

Silkroad

Downloading the client to check it out. I have fears that it will be a classic Asian grinder, though. We'll see.

24. Sith_Lord_Draco

Sith_Lord_Draco Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    it is in a way in my veiw, and i'm amazed you found the website for it. plus i'm on the xian server which is a pain to get on, only times i can is in the afternoon or at night.

i also play Navyfield that is a MMO Tactics Simulation Game that is pretty cool of world war II ships that you own a ship and lvl up and get bigger ships. www.navyfield.com, also free :D , a friend got me to play this game.

and does any one here have xfire?

-Donovan

25. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    LOL. All I had to do was Google "silkroad online." :)

I dunno. Wasn't for me. It's pretty, though -- it looks like somebody copied the code, interface, and game right out of GuildWars (another free MMO) and made everything look Asian.

The draw in MMOs for me is people -- not necessarily the game, which is where I can see why you like SRO. A lot of my friends play WoW on 3 different servers, and yeah -- I know the argument "Gosh, it's $15/month" -- but think about it -- how much money do you waste every month on eating out...movies...toys...stuff you don't need? Rachel and I saved enough for a down payment on a house when we started playing Galaxies together.

The article linked in my sig is an interesting read...and all too true. It's not that WoW is addicting -- I won't play by myself. It's not fun. WoW...in and of itself...is not fun. Video games to me are not fun unless I have someone to play with. I haven't leveled in 2 weeks because we found something funner in-game to do than run around doing quests. It's not the game -- it's getting to hang out with friends.

On the off-chance someone's in town and they drop by, it's easy to walk away and hang out...do whatever. But since the vast majority of my friends are more than 2 hours away from me, WoW is a place where we can all meet and play. Once I have everyone in bed for the night, my social life is WoW. That's just how it is.

We haven't turned into introverted hermits afraid of the light -- it's the other way around -- we need people.

Which...on a really bizarre note...that thought just made me wonder...

Housetard never leaves his computer. Could he really be that popular? All things considered -- I'd almost have to say..."yes." It's not that he doesn't have a life -- it could be that he has too many friends.

I think I just gave myself the heebie jeebies.