main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New Battlestar Galactica *Spoiler Free Edition*

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Thought since we have a spoiler thread might as well have a non-spoiler one so we don't have to worry about accidentally getting spoiled.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    In the season finale Tigh blows his brains out.

You better believe it.

:p

3. Honor_And_Liberty

Honor_And_Liberty Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2005
    Yay! I've been hoping for this. [face_mischief]

And [face_shame_on_you] @ sidious618.

:p

4. Grillbu_Fett

Grillbu_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2005
    Battlestar Galactica: Reimagined will be aired tonight for the first time in German free tv!:)
    Well, the first part of the pilot, at least. The second part follows Friday.

5. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Can you believe that I've never really seen this show?

I did watch the last two episodes, but I'm pretty much confused on what's going on.

6. Grillbu_Fett

Oct 6, 2005
    The first time I made contact with Galactica was "Mission Galactica: Attack of the Cylones". I guess that is the english title of that Galactica-Movie, I don't know if it was made for TV, back in 1977. I think it was 1986 when I saw it for the first time, and I liked it a lot. But as time goes by, effects improve, and you start to yawn or to shiver when you see it today. For my part, I am quite curious what the new Battlestar Scralatchtica looks like.;)

Allowedly, the original Galactica-TV-series bored me, but those movies still have some attraction...

[EDIT] Damn, they are showing "Attack of the Cylones" on another channel... nah, seen it already. I can switch during advertisement.:-B

7. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Thank you for bringing that up. What's a Cylone?

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    506, you have to start at the begining really, since it's only two seasons it's not hard to go back and play catch up. You can rent the mini series at your local Blockbuster and the whole of season one/first half of two at Netflix. I couldn't tell what was going on in season two with out having seen season one. Best show on TV so I would really reccomend getting the first season.

9. Grillbu_Fett

Oct 6, 2005
    Alrighty then!:D

[EDIT] Oh, BTW, is discussing the original series spoiling?o_O

[EDIT] Cylone: In the Original Series, they were like evil twin brothers of C3PO, just to describe them shortly. What they are like in Reimagined, well, I'll see tonight and tell you tomorrow...

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I suppose not, even though there are parallels between the shows they are different enough. Mainly concerned about spoilers for future episodes of the current show.

11. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Dajuan is correcto. Spoilers are considered to be anything within the first 72 hours of an aired episode. Anything after 72 hours is considered a non-spoiler. So really we can talk about anything besides speculation or rumors concerning this week's episode.

I am considering renting the first season on DVD. :D

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    You totally should! I'd offer to lend you mine but I am afraid to mail them anywhere. I would cry buckets if they got lost or damaged in the USPS.

13. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    No prob. I have Netflix so I can get started right away.

14. Grillbu_Fett

Oct 6, 2005
    Finally, I watched the devided pilot on Wednesday and Friday. I can approve that there are parallels, but I am so glad that there are more differences. I found the original series quite green and blue-eyed, but the new Galactica is unbelievable mature and stirring, I could feel the despair as the twelf colonies were destroyed in the nuclear holocaust.

I'm sorry to ask, but did the original series have the same background? It wasn't aired in German TV for a long time except those movies, and I missed the right order of the episodes and most of the episodes themselves so that I have completely no idea where the old Galactica came from and where it was going to.

Concerning Reimagined, I find it very felicitous to have the original series as a possible past. I'm quite curious if some of the old Cylone Centurions might show up as Number 6 mentioned them. Somehow, I find them more threatening than the new Cylone soldiers, but the Cylone starfighters and capital warships are great.

The whole design of Reimagined appeals me a lot, now they are more related to Babylon 5 and Space above and beyond. Now, the starships seem to be able to move and turn in any direction as it should be in free space, and I find it very appealing to see the Galactica jump into hyperspace, because in the original series (the movies in any case), the aspect of travel beyond the speed of light was completely left out.

I find it strange to see that the Cylones successfully copied humans so that they are hard to identify, but I guess it is a logical step to have spies that are hard to detect. Gladly, they found a way to cope with that. I would have found it very interesting to see wires coming out of that man on Ragnar, but I understand that it would have been inconsequent to see a steel skull. I think the idea disturbes me that the Cylones are close to being human, that you have no possibilty to tell whether you're Cylone or human without a spectrum analyses.

It is sinister to see Number 6, a robot, an artificial intelligence, hanker after Baltar's love. Is it a creation that longs for the love of its creator?

Well, those Cylone spies are said to look like humans, but why does Number 6's spine glow as she comes together with Gaius Baltar? She's not as human as she looks like, huh?

The character of Gaius Baltar pleases me much more than in the original series, because then my impressions were those of a cheap villain who was bad only because of the need for a bad guy. Now he is caught between two stools.
    If someone can tell me the reason why Baltar connived with the Cylones in the original series, please tell me.

Altogether I can say: Mission accomplished.

15. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Yay a non-spoiler thread. I hate seeing spoilers for this show and like being surprised every week.

Looks like more civilian turmoil is coming for this next week.

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    That's what this week was about, I couldn't remember. I wonder what's going to happen with Sharon in the long run? Will she be able to prove her self trustworthy?

17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    D'oh I forgot that I missed this last week's episode :(

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    You missed a great one too. Apollo and Starbuck, they almost made my dreams come true....

19. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Thank god for iTunes huh.

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Wait I saw the one w/ Starbuck nearly going over the edge - was that this past Fridays?

My sister TIVOs the episodes and I missed the rebroadcast at 11, but caught that episode when she was switching it over to DVD.

Isn't next week all about the crazy Cylon lovers revolting?

21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    No but thats getting a bit spoilery isn't it?

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Nah, that was on the preview to this week. Previews aren't considered spoilers I would think.

23. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Previews aren't spoilers. Unless they turn into speculation and rumors.

:)

24. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Meh. Not a big fan on the cylon lovers revolting concept. I'd much rather see them shot, but hopefully that'll happen in this episode.

The Starbuck one I enjoyed a lot and was even chanting with the rest of the crew when they were shouting STARBUCK STARBUCK STARBUCK et al.

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    But it isn't about cylon lovers revolting.

Its the opposite. People who hate the cylons finaly realizing that Galactica has a cylon on board that they are letting just hang out. They want her dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.