main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How about Aliens vs Predator

Oryx-I and christophero30 like this.
  2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    this is what it has come to

discussing the merits of movie criticism and listing successful movies and what constitutes as good movies...

SWleaks if you can read this...

please put ACT II of your supposed plot leaks up somewhere I IMPLORE YOU.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    CrazyOldJedi and christophero30 like this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    No. But Alien is just as good.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The trick is to find critics that reliably share your taste in movies. Finding such critics can save you a lot of money at the cinema.

zackm and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    critics are more concerned with originality than the average moviegoer, and usually have seen WAY more films than the average moviegoer.

6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    They excel at different things. Alien is a slower paced, super tense horror film. Aliens brings James Cameron storyboarding for action direction to the mix.

christophero30 likes this.
  7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    yup. Both nearly perfect films in their genre.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I actually remember a time when that film started out luke warm for folks...And I know some Star Wars fans who didn't like it...Still don't, preferred Solo more.

9. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    are you talking about Rogue One or Aliens lol.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Concensus. It’s the exact term for that.

It usually takes time to set in stone, and depends on a movie having a lasting impact and continued success with generations long after its first generation of audience members have aged and in some cases, even died.

Of course, there are different styles of concensus “great movies;” for instance, The Wizard Of Oz is easily a major pop culture and show business landmark, though for very different reasons than the movies on the above lists.

ESB, for instance, has slowly become the concensus best film of the OT. It took time to get there, but it’s impact can be measured as a higher than ROTJ, and it generally stands side by side with ANH, the the first movie being the landmark pop culture moment, while ESB became the more refined artistic landmark and franchise exploder.

However, it bears mentioning that while ROTJ tends to get dogged on, its also a film that acts to increase ESB’s effectiveness as art and pop culture, and ROTS manages to salvage some parts of AOTC well beyond their initial impact. TROS will likely have some kind of parallel impact on the other films in the ST; that’s part of the reason why there’s anxiety over the film, particularly among people who found TLJ damaging to TFA.

Obironsolo and christophero30 like this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Rogue One...Never been interested in Aliens.

12. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah I know ;). I was just refuting that a consensus needs to be based upon objective facts.

godisawesome and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think of Rogue One as the Alien of today, in terms of being a perfect genre film. No fat. Apart from a few knuckleheads here, I haven’t met anyone who dislikes it. ;)

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@godisawesome
    And anxiety for people who love TLJ made TFA stronger because they are nervous that it will hurt TLJ.

Sorta a lose-lose scenario here.

It's kinda the one thing TLJ haters and lovers can agree upon funny enough.

On here ...Nope....Outside the forums, I've met a few.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2019
    godisawesome likes this.
  15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    thanks for that.

Bor Mullet and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I know RedLetterMedia didn't like it.

17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

What Star Wars film HAVE they liked

Again something I have noticed is that....and I hate using these terms......But....Rogue One I feel does appeal to a ....Certain type of Star Wars....I've noticed the ST has maybe....IDK...broader appeal or something....Casual appeal....IDK...But i notice something here. But I wanna be careful on how i determine it without sounding gatekeepy

Glitterstimm likes this.
  18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    They liked TFA and Solo.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

True...Although that Mr.Pinkett review felt like a backtrack....Granted I don't like RLM ....At all.....So....I guess i don't care ;p

But, good to know.

20. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Oh I don't really like the Plinkett stuff, but often I like the perspective they give on their regular reviews.

21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Eh, hate to say this but my impression is that few people outside the SW fandom have an opinion on R1 either positive or negative. I like it but it's no Alien. It's not going to be held up as an example of great film making decades from now.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean....It hasn't been a decade yet :p

But I do somewhat agree with you, Rogue One felt like it didn't break the barrier in terms of it's liking by fans...Not saying casual audiences hated it....not saying it was a bomb...Since it was successful, but in terms of staying power beyond the what I guess online fandom...I don't see it....Now part of it might be the fact that Rogue One was so final in it's storytelling that any speculation or discussion eventually faded...But still we are what...2 years in...and we are STILL talking about Last Jedi to this day.

23. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    Alien, like Jaws, was a B film elevated to high art. Just look at how many bad imitators there have been.

Ender_and_Bean and Glitterstimm like this.
  24. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Great point. And for me, it's not just damaging to TFA. It's damaging to the OT as well. But ROS can fix a lot of the problems.

Unfortunately, part of the anxiety right now for me is that I'm not sensing the confidence coming out of Lucasfilm the way I did for TFA. Before TFA, I couldn't believe how confident everyone was...it was really unusual. There was just a vibe coming out of production that people were going to be happy. A lot of that may have had to do with Harrison Ford being back, along with Chewie and the Falcon. I think it almost felt like a sure thing. And while it's not perfect, IMO, it delivered what it had to at the time.

With TLJ, there was none of that. There was some talk of a brilliant script (pardon me while I vomit) but no one behind the scenes was saying, "fans are gonna love this."

Now, heading into ROS, it feels a lot more like TLJ than TFA. JJ having to assure fans RJ didn't really derail everything. That's doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

John Williams did have positive things to say, and I actually trust him.

25. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Who can dislike the vehicle that brought Admiral Raddus to us?

Bor Mullet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.