main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    One of these original reports so long ago also had John Boyega character as potential Jedi (it says DR will play a scavenger, OI as a pilot but Han Solo type character, and AD as a wannabe Vader).so let's hope this is finally fulfilled! (Fingers crossed)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    DarthRosie and Neesh like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    This is shaping up to be a strange story. But for the anodyne ST, strange is much better than business as usual. I especially can’t wait for the Oracle and the monkey alien mask-forging. Go all out mythic with it.

3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Such a good point about the Sith home world in that Mizz TFA leak. Gotta say, a Rey Solo reveal is the one thing they could do that would get me to watch TLJ for a second time with a fresh set of eyes. Rey Skywalker wouldn’t even do that unless the back story was that cousins Rey and Ben had an especially close bond. Brother/sister is close enough to be assumed.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I might be smelling Terrio's influence on the script, because I feel this isn't how Kasdan would operate.

To me this is gonna sound strange but it would be if BvS was directed by JJ instead of Snyder....Though maybe I shouldn't say that and freak people out.

Regardless, JJ is fast, and always plays to the audience plus Mystery Box's ...Plus he's good with characters.

So his straightforwardness mixed with perhaps Terrio's...Whatever is going on, will make for a interesting mix.

But yeah, I like it....At least it will be different and not ...Return of the Jedi again...Except perhaps with a few things.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also and actual GOOD Skywalker/Solo descendant would make things far more palatable to many I suspect.

11-4D, DarthRosie, KSennia and 7 others like this.
  6. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    @Bor Mullet Yeah, I agree. I kind of want this to be the strangest and most bizarre ST film, but in a good way.

And I honestly don't hate the whole Rey Solo thing. I get that people want to protect Han's memory but...it would still be interesting to see how Rey would deal with that.

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    In season 2 (TLJ), Eleven (Rey) has a falling out with her mentor father figure Hopper (Luke) and travels to see the other but older kid with powers who went down a villainous path: Eight (Kylo).

Eight (Kylo) wants Eleven (Rey) to join her as they take deadly vengeance on the ones she feels has wronged them. Eleven (Rey) refuses.

Once Eleven (Rey) realizes Eight’s (Kylo’s) evil ways, she returns to save her friends from season 1 (TFA) from being killed by the demodogs (First Order) while trapped.

Then she’s reunited with Mike (Finn) who she hasn’t seen since last season (last film) and meets Max (Poe) for the first time.

I’d say @Ender_and_Bean ’s assessment is actually pretty good @Mila Lazarus

Bor Mullet and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  8. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    That's a great point. As we've gone along these 5 plus years, the earliest leak about a script has pretty much had every box checked as far as plot points in some form or another from TFA, TLJ to leaks about TROS. And the "beyond" could definitely qualify as the sith world Mizzlewump mentioned.

9. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    They said at Celebration that they are respecting Johnson's story that Reys parents were nobody, but there is more to the story. If she is a Solo, how is that respecting she is a nobody?

I mean I don't care if she is a Solo, as long as the story makes sense, but it seems a little late in the game, and going against what JJ said.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Neesh

Neesh Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 2, 2019
    JJ didnt say they were respecting the idea that Rey is a nobody, merely respecting the story in TLJ. Kylo misinterpreted what he saw. it will still be true from a certain point of view, but there is a lot of wiggle room for JJ to tell the story he wants to tell.

11-4D, DarthRosie, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  11. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    LMAO at you equating Eight with Kylo. Sure. I missed the episode where Eight appealed to Eleven by torturing her and murdering her father figure while Eleven watched. Also the part where Eight murdered all the other numbered children and Eleven knew it.

I love the Mike/Finn parallel though. Love is love <3

And again, Eleven got to meet her mom. Like a real protagonist.

12. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The Stranger Things creators even said that they purposely went for the Luke-Vader parallel, with Eight trying to bring Eleven to the darkside.

Just as Rian had Kylo-Rey went for the Vader-Luke parallel

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. RetropME

RetropME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2017
    Even Rian said that he wrote it as Kylo telling the truth... which means Kylo believed it. And then after that he said there is always a "certain point of view." I would say they knew that what Kylo said was not accurate even back when that scene was filmed.

Neesh and alwayslurking like this.
  14. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Yes and torture/murder by eight toward Eleven and people Eleven cared for wasn’t the seduction. Eleven had actual reason to care for Eight. I get the Luke/Vader parallel though. Rey/Kylo doesn’t have anything in common with either, but yeah those two are apt comparisons with each other.

11-4D, godisawesome and Bor Mullet like this.
  15. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    Did JJ say respecting the nobody part specifically?

Because even Rian said it was from a "certain point of view." And he said Kylo wasn't lying which I believe. I think Kylo saw what he saw but that wasn't her entire story. That was her from 5 to 7. Not from her origins and how she ended up with drunks who he may have assumed were her parents.

I kind of see it as an "Oliver" story to be honest where a kid has been passed from experiences and guardians along the way but the true background is surprising.

2Cleva, Neesh and alwayslurking like this.
  16. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
    JJ direct quote:

"I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen.”

11-4D, Bor Mullet and RetropME like this.
  17. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I remember JJ saying he respected it, while he also said that he had to tell the story in the context of the Skywalker Saga and the larger story and there’s more to it. He can respect the reveal in TLJ simply by not making Kylo a liar. Kylo was merely mistaken.

18. Darth Buzz

Jun 25, 2018
  19. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    I don't see why Kylo couldn't just be lying, straight up. In this section of the movie, he is clearly showing his talent for using deception and psychology against his opponents. He tricks Rey into being the catalyst he can use to deceive Snoke; all the while obviously keeping his intentions buried so very deep down, neither even saw a glimmer of them beyond what he wanted them to see.

The person who can and would do that would easily make up whatever story makes Rey feel more alone and like he is the only person she can trust in the whole galaxy....

20. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I mean, if by “honored that” you think he means that’s 100% the truth, then there isn’t more to the story. The statement itself is contradictory. We already know that’s not the whole story.

RetropME, 2Cleva, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  21. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    Absolutely the only thing that "honored that" means is that they aren't going to ignore the fact that the scene between Rey and Kylo happened in TLJ (side note: I somehow find it amusing that JJ just calls it "8" here). This could include:
    - Kylo lying
    - Kylo mistaken
    - Kylo kind of correct but those weren't here real parents
    - Kylo correct and those were her real parents but we'll learn more about them

RetropME, Neesh and AhsokaSolo like this.
  22. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I don't know how I feel about Kylo lying to her. It just seems like a giant retcon more than anything else. I would much rather that either he is simply wrong. He only knows because either A) saw Rey's repressed memories or B) received visions from Snoke.

If it's the first option, he's only going off of what five-year-old Rey saw her parents to be, not the complete picture of what they actually were or why they did what they did. However, if JJ wants to completely retcon the reveal in TLJ than the second option would be the only one that makes sense, but it would need some very sharp writing.

23. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I buy Kylo lying. It fits perfectly with the way he was degrading her. He was tearing her down for his benefit.

24. Knessa84

Aug 21, 2014
    I don't think Kylo was lying because (1) well, Rian said he wasn't although sure JJ could change that; but (2) he is definitely not cool/smooth/stable enough to see someone on his level (Skywalker, Kenobi, etc...) or better (Palps?) and pull it off like he wasn't freaking out on the inside.

I think for story purposes Kylo was put off the scent for IX drama. Or at least that's how it will play out.

RetropME and AhsokaSolo like this.
  25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    He basically tells her that she's worthless and has no place, EXCEPT for with him. Classica abusive behavior there. So yeah him lying about her background would fit into that, he's trying to give her nowhere to turn but to him essentially.

RetropME, 2Cleva, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.