main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Definitely Not Improved Even More Horrible Than The Last Two Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Actually, I think Rogue One is the best of the new crop of films in terms of giving us both imaginative and grounded locations. Jedha, Ring of Kafrene, Eadu, Lah’mu, etc. And West Virginia Awakens (Takodana, D’Qar, etc) had some of the least interesting environments of the new films, IMO, so you may be thinking of someone else.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, I was actually thinking of DarthLightlyBruise or Gigoran Monk.

3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Jakku I felt was unique enough with the junk freighters etc. I also really liked SKB’s interior and forest sets. but D’qar and Takodana felt bland and too similar.

dekaneas likes this.
  4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Or JabbaTheHumanBeing.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T580 mit Tapatalk

5. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Although i appreciated Jakku's junkyard vibe (could have gone further with that) and the snowy forest on SKB i agree that TFA had the least interesting environments of the new SW movies. R1 was very good in this department. TLJ was purposefully minimalistic in its approach but Crait, Ahch-To and, yes, Canto Bight were shot beautifully and each had their own vibe. I'm not specially worried by the leaked pictures of the different filming locations, i actually want to see a proper jungle in a SW movie and i'm curious about the grassland stuff. The more visually exciting stuff is probably shot in studio.I really don't know, JJ could surprise us with interesting new worlds or he could disappoint with bland environments, only time will tell.

Same thing for these re-write rumours...I admit that i don't trust JJ 100%, so then again i really don't know, but every big, or not so big, movie goes through script changes at some point, sometimes you get great ideas as you go along and why not use them?

To me, JJ's biggest challenge -beside delivering a great movie- is answering this question : Why did we need a sequel to the 6 episodes saga? From a storytelling perspective, what does it bring to the narrative? And i say this as someone who loves TFA and TLJ. But by the end of ep IX we have to be able to answer this. So far obviously the main theme of the ST is legacy and the repeating cycles of history, but they have to be taken to a satisfying and vital conclusion so when the credits roll we think "oh yes, now thanks to Rey's adventures something CHANGED in the galaxy for good, something that makes these movies important storywise in the SW canon". The problem i had with Thrawn's trilogy by Zahn was that back in the days it was commonly sold as the proper sequel to ROTJ, and though i enjoyed reading these books the story itself didn't change the post-ROTJ status quo at all. Once you read the 3 novels you didn't feel like the characters had changed, or the state of the galaxy or the way we saw the Force and the Jedi. It felt like a nice but minor story. It could have made it into the new canon and not affected the actual ST that much, except for a detail or two. Which means that it had little impact on the larger story. I want ep IX to be significant on that level. Something that doesn't make it look like an afterthought.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  6. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I’d take all three TBH!

7. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I resemble that remark.

In seriousness, though, TFA was three years ago now. Seeing elaborate but tangible exotic and imaginative environments, like twin cities perched on two asteroids facing each other (Ring of Kafene in Rogue One) changed my thinking on the subject. As did the benefits of sometimes having more of a sci-fi than a fantasy edge (I used to insist on the latter, and after Rogue One, very much disagree with my former self). In short, I got bored with my own preferences and perennially uniform declarations about what Star Wars should be. So I abandoned them.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  8. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I think Scariff was my favorite location. I'd like to see Rakata Prime in episode 9. If they make it look like it is in KOTOR it would be pretty cool. It actually kind of resembles Scariff in a way. Beaches, wooded area....it actually resembled the island on Lost.

9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I thought Jakku looked a little to much like Stargate but the desert wastes littered with the relics of the Empire's defeat was really cool and more than sufficient to hook the audience.

Since the OT

Naboo - peaceful world, never really sets things alight but doesn't have to when there's the Duel of Fates there
    Coruscant - the first really great world outside of the OT, still so much more to see there.
    Geonosis - seemed at times like a cheap substitute for Tatooine, I liked the Ancient Coliseum feel of the arena though.
    Kamino - I loved the originality not only of the geography but the clinical feel of a true water world
    Utapau - effective but not really a planet you'd be wishing to return
    Mustafar - fulfilled everything i'd imagined from reading that brief description back in the OT scripts
    D'Qar - feels like Yavin MKII, still manages to serve it's purpose well though
    Takodana - home to Maz' cantina, a fairy tale forest, Walt Disney couldn't do better
    SKB - really strange, bit Death Star and a bit Hoth but hey it works great for the film
    Ahch-To - take Luke out of it and it would feel bland, Dagobah it's not
    Jedha - the first desert world that steps out from the shadow of Tatooine
    Scariff - Wow what a rush, going to worlds like this is what SW is all about
    Crait - Ummmm, i'm not sure, it's original but is it used as well as it could've been?

That's just my opinion, just how they make me feel. If people love the ones I don't then they've seen something I've missed, may be it reminds them of places they love that I haven't experienced.

Darth Caliban and Max@TSWP like this.
  10. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    This is the biggest challenge this film faces. Given the state of our characters and of the story so far, especially at the conclusion of TLJ, I have little hopes that IX will be able to bring a satisfying conclusion to the saga, and answer the question of why the ST was exactly necessary. There is so much to resolve with our primary new characters in this film, and it just seems like there won't be enough room to properly conclude the journey of legacy characters and to tie all three trilogies together.

I'll of course wait to see the final product before making a judgement, but considering that JJ Abrams has never surprised me before in the past, I have little hope.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I heard there is going to be even more main characters.......gotta sell more toys I guess.

12. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
    well..its business as usual...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  13. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope Zuvio is in the movie this time!

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So it's funny that the "Palpatine in Episode IX" rumors are starting. I was watching a little of Collider Jedi Council where they addressed it. As a fun little check, I was looking at the Sequel trilogy message board and there were threads talking about Palpatine appearing back in TFA too. So I'm not surprised there isn't a thread about this as this rumor probably doesn't hold any weight. What do you guys think?

15. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    It's from Mike Zeroh...

cwustudent likes this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't know who that is.

17. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Zeroh probably took what happened in Battlefront 2 where Luke checks out one Palpatine's storage units and takes the force compass. Change up some names, create a video, and boom clicks.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Today he revealed huge changes by JJ and the release date of the 4th trilogy.

I liked the Rey's brother one.
    "....someone told me there was a boy standing next to Rey on the set...." => Rey's brother

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  19. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Oh sorry. Essentially not a very good source.

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks, I didn't know the source of the rumor so my gut feeling was right.

cwustudent likes this.
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm in the wrong business.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Collider Jedi Council is the same Jedi Council that immediately prior to TFA’s release insisted they had the scoop of the Star Wars century: Snoke is Plagueis.

Those guys and gals know nothing. And in this case, they’re reporting on a Mike Zeroh rumor. Which is worth...well...it’s in the name.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    While I do share similar opinions with Kristian Harloff from time to time, it's a shame how contradictory he is when it comes to Star Wars.

24. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Mike Zeroh: the king of clickbait. He throws any manner of crap against the wall in the hopes that something sticks that he can take credit for. Unfortunately some tertiary websites and facebook communities are using him as their authority on all things Star Wars.

Among the whoppers he has spun:

• Kylo and Rey would battle on Ahch-To where Kylo cuts off Rey's arm. He saw the green sock or something.
    • Snoke is is Plagueus
    • Rey is a Palpatine
    Essentially he weaves a a tapestry of absolute and complete BS.

25. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    Worst than that. Now some major publications are picking up his story from time to time. Just this past week had Esquire pick up this ridiculous story of Palps. It's the human centipede of Faux-Star-Wars-Speculation-Passed-As-Reporting for money. Because it's always about money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.