main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New DownTime - Pilot Fic Index and Discussion Thread - Third Challenge Up!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pilot_Fic_Index, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilot_Fic_Index

Pilot_Fic_Index Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    Welcome to the New DownTime!!!

There used to be an index and discussion thread for writers and readers of pilot fics, here at <<The Downtime Pilots Lounge>> but it fell into disuse and the thread originator hasn?t been around for a while, so Jesina_Dreis and Myri_Antilles have decided to recreate it.

We have several goals in mind?

• An index of all Rogue, Wraith, and other squadron fics on the Jedi Council boards. We?re in the minority here (in case you haven?t noticed :p), so it?s just too blasted hard to find each other on the boards themselves.

• A discussion thread about the pilots, their characterizations, tips for writing a good squad fic?whatever you all want to talk about, provided it pertains to pilot writing.

• Once we get going, a challenge every month or so, with links to responses posted here as well

Submissions

If you have a pilot fic, or if you know of one we?ve missed (since there are likely some whose authors have left the boards) please PM the following to Pilot_Fic_Index (without markup, please):

Title
    Link to your story
    Link to your profile
    Co-authors
    (if applicable)
    Co-authors profiles (if applicable)
    Summary
    Timeframe
    Characters
    Genre
    Notes

A Note: Submissions do not have to be squadron-centric. They can focus on the characters themselves (for example, a story about Wedge?s life before his parents? death is perfectly includable). :D

Clarification: Yes, Jaina, Kyp, and Jag are pilots. But as these folks more or less have their own indexes here, we?re going to ask that submissions for this index that focus on these characters be limited to fics that focus on them in their pilot roles ? essentially, that ARE squadfics.

Okay, so we said that fics don?t have be squadron-centric, that they can be focusing on one of the pilots. But now we?re limiting the J/J/K fics to only squad ones. What gives?

The reason is that if people are coming in here, chances are that they?re looking to read fics about the people generally looked at as pilots.

So then why are OC fics okay? OC fics are includable if they are squadfics, because the other reason people will be coming in here is because they like reading about squadrons, no matter who is involved.

This is essentially a Pilot-fic/Squad-fic index. Does this all make sense now? ;) If not, feel free to PM.

Contents

Post 2: Index A - I
    Post 3: Index J - 0
    Post 4: Index P - Z
    Post 5: Challenges and Responses

Currently: 85 fics in the index

So, grab a barstool and a nice glass of synthehol ;) and... :D

~Jes and Myri~

2. Pilot_Fic_Index

Feb 21, 2005
    A ? I

Alion_Sangre (Profile)

Halberd Squadron, Part I: Unlikely to Survive
    Summary: Commander Keyan Farlander is forming an elite composite raiding squadron to keep up pressure on the Empire as the Rebel Alliance settles on Hoth. Training time ends, however, when the Empire crashes the party - and a unit dealing with its own internal pressures is sent into situations that even the gutsiest snubbie jock wouldn't mess with.
    Timeframe: Shortly before and during events of Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    Characters: Keyan Farlander, Misch'an, Naeco Casaras, Lynia Delline, Cal Omas, Ibitsam, Ton Phanan, OC's, cameo canon characters.

Arin_Atona (Profile)

This One's For You
    Summary: At a pivotal moment in the Battle of Endor, a hero of the Rebellion reflects on his past.
    Timeframe: ROTJ
    Characters: Wedge Antilles
    Notes: Just playing around with Wedge's character a bit and trying to get into his head.

For All That Is Sacred (To Still the Fates, Vol. II) Added 7/28!
    Summary: When Jev Atona leads Venom Squadron to join the Rebellion, he and his past are put onto a collision-course with the Empire.
    Timeframe: Classic Trilogy (ANH-ROTJ)
    Characters: OCs, Wedge, Wes, Hobbie, Vader, Mara, Artoo, Leia, Dodonna, and more...
    Genre: OC behind-the-scenes action adventure romance squadfic
    Notes: Canon in comparison to the movies and the most the EU (the parts I've read, anyway).

Barefoot_XO (Profile)

Daddy Don?t Cry
    Summary: The story of Piggy?s creation
    Characters: Piggy, Tuzin Gast, Edda Gast, Zsinj

An Instant Family Added 7/28!
    Summary: Gavin and Inyri babysit Gavin's sister's kids.
    Characters: Gavin Darklighter, Inyri Forge

BlindMan (Profile)

Piggy and Slim
    Summary: Jek ?Piggy? Porkins becomes a detective
    Timeframe: Pre NJO
    Characters: Jek Porkins, Handmaiden Rabe, Slim Sleazebaggano
    Genre: Humor, Mystery

boady22 (Profile)

Chronicles of Corran
    Summary: Corran's adventures before joining the Rebellion
    Timeframe: Saga
    Characters: Corran Horn, Gil Bastra, Iella Wessiri, Deakon Rohan (OC), Zek (OC), Kirtan Loor

Calandria (Profile)

Sister Winter, Brother Hope
    Summary: Winter finds the love of her heart again.
    Timeframe: roughly during the X-Wing series
    Characters: Tycho and Winter
    Genre: Vignette, utter and complete romance

CodeName_Targeter (Profile)

I like his rear end Added 7/28!
    Summary: The wedding of Wes Janson has come.
    Timeframe: sometime post SoA
    Characters: Wes, Sh

3. Pilot_Fic_Index

Feb 21, 2005
    J ? O

Jade_Max (Profile)

The Worst Assignments Added 7/28!
    Timeframe: Set during the OC/Rogues Fic Angel_9 and I are writing, A Star Too Far, A/U and in the middle of the X-Wing book series
    Characters: Lance, Wes, Wedge, Face, Kell
    Genre: Humor, challenge
    Notes: I apologize in advance for the use of the word ?fracking? from Battlestar Gallactica ? it?s the best substitute I could find for the earthism

Jade_Max (Profile)
    and Angel_9 (Profile)

A Star Too Far, Part I
    A Star Too Far, Part II
    Characters: Rogues, OCs

JaersteinCysse (Profile)

Jaerstein Cysse: Reunion
    Summary: A chapter in the tale of Jaerstein Cysse a student who ran away from his home to become a pilot. He know finds a family member from his past thrust back into his life. During a heated battle from EU canon he makes a daring reunion.
    Timeframe: Can't recall exactly, but sometime during Thrawn's campaign
    Characters: Jaerstein Cysse, Dallows, Ryhen Kairs, Kiesthen Cysse and some canon characters
    Genre: an OC canon-melded chapter of a long-fic

JainaSticksSolo19 (Profile)

Searching for Her
    Timeframe: a few weeks after Starfighters of Adumar
    Characters: Wes, Inyri, Hobbie

A Day Off Added 7/28!
    Summary: Wes, Inyri, and Hobbie babysit Wes's sister's kids.
    Characters: Wes Janson, Inyri Forge, Hobbie Klivian
    Notes: Like the other baby-sitting stories popping up here, mine is also a response for the same challenge response. its been a wile since i posted anything here. i hope you guys like.

Jane Jinn (Profile)

We?re Doomed
    Summary: A lighthearted look at how Pash Cracken finds out what his squadron really thinks of him, when a practical joke goes awry.
    Timeframe: post-ROTJ, pre- Wedge's Gamble
    Characters: Pash Cracken, original characters

Jaya Solo (Profile)

Before There Were Ewoks
    Summary: This is a background story on Wes Janson explaining how he became the prankster that we all know and love.
    Timeframe: Before Wes leaves for the Rebellion.
    Characters: Wes Janson, some OCs
    Genre: Short Story

Birth of a Playboy
    Summary: This story explores Wes? life with the Tierfon Yellow Aces and his transfer to the Red Squadron at Yavin.
    Timeframe: Before and during the Battle of Yavin
    Characters: Wes Janson, Jek ?Piggy? Porkins
    Genre: Pilot Fic, Short Story
    Notes: This is the sequel to Before There Were Ewoks

Jaya Solo (

4. Pilot_Fic_Index

Feb 21, 2005
    P ? Z

padawan lunetta (Profile)

I, Rebel
    Summary: Hal Horn survives being shot and joins the Rebellion with Corran
    Timeframe: OT ? ESB and RotJ
    Characters: Hal Horn, Corran Horn, Luke Skywalker, Rogues
    Genre: Action, drama

I, the Jedi?s Daughter
    Summary: This is a story on Jysella Horn?s life.
    Timeframe: Post NJO
    Characters: Jysella Horn, Corran Horn, Luke Skywalker
    Notes: Well I was inspired to write this after having read "Onslaught" and finding out Corran had a daughter!! (It made no mention of looks or personality, so I gaver her one! ) This isn't my first fanfic, but it is my first attempt at writing in first person point of view, so please bear (sp?) with me and comment if you'd like!

I, the Jedi?s Daughter Special Edition
    Summary: This is the special edition of ?I, Jedi?s Daughter? and is follows Jysella Horn?s life.
    Timeframe: Post NJO
    Characters: Jysella Horn, Corran Horn, Luke Skywalker
    Notes: Yep in honor of the holidays, I am reposting the first Jysella fanfic. But like Mr Lucas, I've found somethings I thought were a little incomplete, not to mention it could use a good spell check. That's what makes this version SE (Special Edition) So to the old readers, there'll be new scenes, and editing. The new scene's will be marked with "*"s just so you know. And to any new readers I might pick up, Hope uou like it!

Ten Seconds
    Timeframe: post-NJO
    Characters: Corran, Jysella
    Genre: vignette

What Does It Want? Added 7/28!
    Summary: Wes and Luke babysit the Solo kids.
    Timeframe: Jaina and Jacen are babies
    Characters: Wes Janson, Luke Skywalker, Jaina and Jacen Solo, Inyri Forge
    Genre: vignette
    Notes: this was originally posted as a challenge for two babysitting pilots in another forum that I thought you guys would enjoy.

Perator (Profile)

X-Wing: Battle for the Unknown
    Summary: X-Wing: Battle for the Unkown is a story about Wedge Antilles, and several other pilots, including Tycho, Janson, Hobbie, and Kell and Tyria trom the Wraiths. I hope to post every few days.
    Timeframe: 14 Years After Endor
    Characters: Wedge, Wes, Tycho, Hobbie, Kell, Tyria, Iella, Cheriss, others

Qurinas (Profile)

Blastsword to Lightsaber Chapter 1
    Blastsword to Lightsaber Chapter 2
    Blastsword to Lightsaber Chapter 3
    Blastsword to Lightsaber Chapter 4

Blastsword to Lightsaber Chapter 5

Summary: This story is rated PG-13 for mild violent content. This story is based on characters and actions that take place in the X-Wing series. This story takes place immediately following Star Fighters of Adumar and contains spoilers for almost every book in the x-wing series and others.
    Timeframe

5. Pilot_Fic_Index

Feb 21, 2005
  6. Pilot_Fic_Index

Feb 21, 2005
    Now, in the interest of getting things started and so we have something to talk about when people actually come in here...let's have a topic.

Topic #1 Who is your favorite pilot character to write? Why? What about him/her makes him interesting to you?

7. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Umm probably Lukie, though I seem to write Corran more. I think it's because of I,Jedi, helped me understand him a lot better. :)

8. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    Oh, Wes by a landslide!

He's soooooo much fun to play with, nods to Elu's Wes Mood Challenge. He's go so many wonderful quirks and traits you can use most of them pretty easily.

You've definately got to use Wes if you are writing a humor piece. He's got the awesome shooter skills so, that works well in an action piece. He's romanced TONS of women (whether they know it or not) so there's your romance angle. And being affiliated with both Rogues and Wraiths he's pretty interchangable for any pilot story you want to flesh out.

So.... most definately, 100%, no doubt in my mind...

WES!!!!!!

9. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    Hmmm. I think Wedge is the most "complex" or multi-faceted character and therefore the most interesting to write about. We also know a little bit more about his backround than the other pilots, so that gives one more to work with.

Which, I suppose on the other hand, could make things less interesting as far as having flexibility with backstory. For example, Jes wouldn't be able to do all the cool (and mean!) things she does with Hobbie in False Truths if his backstory were more clear.

P.S.: Myri, Jes, I don't know whether to hug you guys or strangle you. I never realized there were so many pilot fics out there...but sheesh! When am I going to find time to read them all?? :p

10. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Janson is my favorite to work with. They're all very complex, of course. But for most of them, their multiple sides are fairly thoroughly explored...well, as much as any of our pilots are.

Janson's in the unique position of, the vast majority of the time, being represented in a single way. You see hints of his more serious side, but those points are few and far between.

Too, I don't buy into Janson being immature. I don't think he is at all, really. I think he's a child at heart, which is good and refreshing. But if you think about his conversation with Donos, that's more or less the only time they really look at his nature, at why he is the way he is.

That's why I enjoy playing with him so much.

Jes

11. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Wes! He's so much fun to work with. I enjoy not just writing his fun/prankish side, but all of them. :) Yay! I'm in an index! :)

12. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Ooo... awesome topic here, you two! I've got a Round robin fic I'll submit later... have to go dig up the old thread with all the co-authors names. ;)

Personally, I like writing The Fab Four and then Face and Kell. The Fab Four are fun to work with, especially when you take in their prankster sides and also that they've been fighting in these darned wars for awhile. And for Face and Kell.... well, what can I say? They're Wraiths! ;)

I'll try and explain my thoughts here more coherantly tomorrow. ;)

~Jenn

13. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Spee - There are actually more coming, once Myri finds the information on them ;)
    And I didn't realize there were so many either.
    Did you notice that you're in there? :D

14. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Thanks for putting Of Rogues and Remnants up there. :) You all summarized it much better than I did. :)

I really like to write Wedge and Hobbie most of all. Wes is fun, but I have a hard time trying to do kind of an introspection piece with him. Wedge has been explored enough in the books that I can understand him a bit better, and Hobbie has always been my favorite. I like to write Gavin, too, because he's always growing, no matter which stage of his life you choose to write him in.

One pilot I have a lot of trouble writing is Tycho. Somehow, I just can't get into his head, and I think that was a deliberate action on the part of Stackpole. You don't want to be able to get into Tycho's head--because even though in the X-wing books you were pretty sure that he wasn't guilty of treason, you couldn't get inside his head to make sure.

Anyway, there's my two cents. :)

~Carr (or Rogue)

15. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Tycho's interesting...and my readers will probably tell you that I like getting into his head a bit too much. In one of my current fics, I'm writing him as depressed and suicidal.

It's gotten some interesting reactions...but the general consensus has been that it's believeable. Tycho just strikes me as being so close to the edge because of everything that he's been through. But at the same time he seems the strong, silent, stoic type...you can really go either way with him.

It's interesting to me that you like to write Hobbie. There aren't, at least that I've seen, a whole lot of fics that focus on him. He seems to be the least developed in the books, which is why I've tended to ignore him. Lately, though, I've started to write him more, basically creating his characterization from scratch.

16. SweetPea

Dec 8, 2004
    But if you think about his conversation with Donos, that's more or less the only time they really look at his nature, at why he is the way he is.
    Yes, that conversation is really telling, isn't it? One of my favorite parts.

One pilot I have a lot of trouble writing is Tycho. Somehow, I just can't get into his head, and I think that was a deliberate action on the part of Stackpole. You don't want to be able to get into Tycho's head--because even though in the X-wing books you were pretty sure that he wasn't guilty of treason, you couldn't get inside his head to make sure.
    Yeah, Tycho is sort of a mystery to me too. But...does that make writing him more interesting or less so? Not quite sure.

Jes-- More??? Dear me... Oh, and I sure did notice I was in there! Did a little happy dance [face_dancing] Very exciting. There's something about being in an index that...I dunno...legitimizes the story or something.

Myri and Jes-- I've decided to go with hugging instead of strangulation-- mostly because there is no [face_strangle]. [:D] [:D]

17. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Wedge, of course! :p

Wes is fun, yes, but only if I can write him with Hobbie, Tycho, and Wedge around... Wedge is fun no matter what. Plus, he's just an intriguing character to me...

edit: I'm very glad you're not strangling us... :p

18. Pilot_Fic_Index

Feb 21, 2005
    Keep the discussion going, but we're going to start our first challenge.

[color=#dd0000][b]Challenge #1:[/b] Write a single post vignette or short story depicting the death of Wes Janson.

Sounds relatively simple, if majorly tearjerker-ish, right?

Well, not so much. There's a catch.

Recall Janson's conversation with Myn Donos in Solo Command:

[blockquote][i]"If you're not having fun, you're not enjoying your life. If you're not enjoying your life, why even bother being alive? If I wait until some imaginary distant point in my life to start enjoying it, I'll be dead before I get there. But if I get killed tomorrow, at least I can be pretty sure that I enjoyed myself more than whoever's killing me."[/i][/blockquote]

The catch is, Janson must know he's going to die, whether facing execution at the hands of a captor, facing terminal illness, dealing with fatal injuries...however is up to you. But he must know he's going to die.[/color]

[hr]

The challenge ends on March 15.

Post your responses on your own, but once you've posted, give us the link - either in this thread or by PM (or both, if you like [face_grin]).

19. Myri_Antilles

Aug 3, 2004
    <decides to hide from irate crowd>

<whispers to Jes>

Maybe we should have something around to console them...

20. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    *runs around setting out cookies, hot chocolate, blue milk...and tissues*

Lots and lots of tissues.

The last time I killed Wes in a fic I would have started crying except I was at work. As it was, I almost started crying.

But then, I've always loved reading things that made me cry...I think that's why I'm so awful to my characters. I like putting them in situations that will create some kind of emotional reaction in the readers - even if it means death.

21. SweetPea

Dec 8, 2004
    Well, if there's cookies...

Jes, you are too funny. I think that only you could write "the last time I killed Wes in a fic..."

I dunno guys, this challenge sounds tough...*starts thinking*

22. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Awww, you can do it, Spee.

Actually, I think I've only killed Wes once. Wes, Hobbie, Corran (sort of)... *brightens* I've killed Wedge twice

*runs and hides, ducking thrown objects*

23. Myri_Antilles

Aug 3, 2004
    I have never killed a pilot before, to my knowledge... <sighs> I'm breaking my record... what if it's addictive? [face_worried] <hides from readers>

I was actually thinking of this to console them...

<opens door and the young versions of Wedge, Tycho, Hobbie, Face, Kell, Phanan, Corran, and Luke walk out> Here ya go! :p

<grabs Wedge>

24. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    I think we've already done this in my thread, LOL

It is addictive, Myri...really, it is...the shocked reactions from readers, all the crying faces...it's just so touching.

Actually, though, I'm only half-joking. Getting that kind of honest reaction from your readers is really encouraging...it's nice to provoke an emotional response. :)

25. Myri_Antilles

Aug 3, 2004
    Yeah... I tend to go for shocking them in less permanent ways, though... messing up love lives is my specialty. [face_mischief] :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.