main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New DownTime - Pilot Fic Index and Discussion Thread - Third Challenge Up!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pilot_Fic_Index, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, I'm doing a little bit of that myself in "False Truths"...gotten some interesting reactions from people.

Doesn't change my mind, though...

2. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    I have a fic that centers around a pilot character. Her squadron (an original squadron) is in it too, and there's some space action, but that's all pretty secondary. Does that count as a pilot fic?

3. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Sure...there's at least one OC fic up in the index already. PM it to the sock and we'll add it. :)

Jes

4. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    Okay, thanks.

5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    My favourite character to write... I will always have a soft spot for Hobbie... especially after the first TLAP Day fic that Rani Veko and I wrote. Avast, Ye Rogues! but because of Last Chance, Myn Donos is definitely the easiest for me to write.

The most rewarding: Wedge. I'll be reposting the challenge entry that won the Bridges challenge a few months back, eventually. That is by far the piece of fiction I am the proudest of.

The hardest: Corran. I just... he just... gets under my skin. And not in a good way. Ew.

The challenge sounds interesting, but I don't have time to enter it: I've got eight posts left in Last Chance, and the next one is being re-written before the beta sees it, so... I'll be reading along with the challenge entries though. Can't wait!

*Derisa*

6. Pilot_Fic_Index

Pilot_Fic_Index Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    Added:
    • CommanderConrad's Hard Earned Vacation
    • Thumper09's Solid Ground

7. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    If you want that in here, Derisa, just PM the information to the sock. I'd add it anyway, but you don't have much introductory information there and I don't want to screw it up.

Do you mean you don't like Corran? Or that you don't understand him? I never used to be able to really grasp him, and that kept me from likeing his character. I actually kinda used to see him as a Gary Stu, but now that I've grown familiar with him, I know how dumb I was. ;)

That's why when people say that they see him that way, I just know they don't know enough about him.

Another Hobbs writer, eh? Why do you like him? Like I said, he's often eluded me. I'm only starting to be able to work with him.

Now, I haven't run this by Myri so hopefully she won't get mad at me for it, but what do you guys think about, say, each week having a discussion of a particular character. Maybe next week start with Wes, since he's the object of the first challenge?

Jes

8. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Myri's fine with that. ;)

In fact, as long as Wedge is discussed soon, she's very fine with that. ;) :p

9. Rowan_Jade

Rowan_Jade Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    YOU (two) ARE A FIEND!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so is this revenge on me for my last "review that was not a review"? You're gonna make ME???? kill my Wes???? Jes, you've gone above and beyond MASTER FIENDHOOD (yes ALL caps there sister!) you're reached new levels of malicious intent! YOU ARE EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!

Why can't we kill someone we all dislike? Can't we kill Cracken??? He's sorta part of Rogue & Wraith, isn't he???

Okay, I'm gonna go sulk and pout and whine and, and, and I'm NOT gonna give you anymore reviews! Yeah! that's it! I'm gonna boycott reviewing your fics until you tell everyone not to kill my poor sweet Wes! :p [face_devil] :p

10. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
  11. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Thanks, McEwok.

Ro, it was actually when we were discussing the format of the thread that Myri used Janson dying as an example of a challenge, and the idea kinda stuck in my head. So blame her. (Even though she did have an interesting reaction when I suggested it...I think it was something along the lines of uncontrollable wailing and mutterances about evil authors.)

Where would be the challenge in killing Cracken? Yeah, he's a part of Rogue and Wraith...as the thorn in Wedge's side....

You told me you'd still like me even if I killed Wes....

Of course, maybe that didn't pertain to making YOU kill him, huh?

Now go write.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for a title for a fic about Wes joining the Rebellion? A certain author and her associates are having difficulties with it.

Jes

12. Rowan_Jade

Nov 14, 2003
    Do you have something against me now Jes?

I can't BELIEVE you are so heartless as to want to make me kill poor Wes!

Cracken, yeah we've all got it in for him... Borsk too... but how can anyone (other than you) think about WANTING to kill Wes.

I mean, look at him over there, all sweet and cuddly looking. And look, he's got a stuffed Kettch, just for YOU Jes! Awwwwww! And.... what's that Kettch is holding???

Could it be????

It's your very own shiny Adumari Cape and matching Blastsword!!!!!

Now how could you possibly want to harm such a wonderful, cute, sweet, gorgeous, thoughtful man as that?

And LOOK!!!! there's MORE!!!!

He's pulling out from behind his back a HUGE box of chocolate X-Wing candies... all for YOU!

Oh, Jes. Can you feel the love in the room?

Can you smell the bribery????

Can I can the crap?????

Sheesh, still not buying it huh?

Okay, money, will that work?

If it was Spee and it was two weeks ago, a microwave would be all I needed... but you... money??? Not that I have any but I can offer to, um, make you some in my spare time?

Okay, I quit.... gonna go harrass McE for a title now.... and DUDE! he's not joining the rebellion YET... good grief, he's only like 14 so far... give him a few minutes....

YodaRo

13. Pilot_Fic_Index

Pilot_Fic_Index Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2005
    Added
    • Discussion Calendar
    • Clarification of what will be included in the index
    • KirneySlane22's I Never Meant to Lie
    • KirneySlane22's Thoughts and Letters

14. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Hey, why are you bribing HER??? :p

15. CarrKicksDoor

CarrKicksDoor Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Someone asked me why I liked writing Hobbie:

Well, I think it's exactly because he's been so ignored in the books and the only adjective that's been used to describe him was 'doleful.' It's one of those things that I think Hobbie can't be as bad as people think he is, and I think that we need to focus a bit more on him as a character. He's an unmined wealth of good writing, I suppose. And I think within his sensitive nature, you have a real opportunity for romance.

I think I was engaged to him in one of InyriForge's fics...if there's a girl named Amelie or something that reasonably sounds like Emily, and is Hobbie's girlfriend...yeah, that's meant to be me. :)

~Carr

16. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Ro - No bribery :p...and the whole point of a challenge is to have you write something you normally wouldn't...
    And I'm sorry if I rushed it a bit...it was the easiest way I could think of to describe it.
    Besides, 14 isn't that young...Gavin joined at 16... :D

Myri, she's bribing me because she likes me better than she likes you ;) :p

Carr - Very interesting...you've actually tapped into my reasons for enjoying writing him lately.
    He strikes me as quiet, sensitive...and I can definitely see the potential for romance :) I have (had) him and Inyri together in Shades of the Past...but I don't suggest you read that...[face_worried]
    My other fic, though, False Truths, focuses on him to a large degree, so I've been doing a lot of character study of him. I'd be flattered if you'd take a look at it :)

Jes

17. RogueMara

RogueMara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2005
    As much as the idea of killing Wes irks me (lol), I would actually consider writing something for this (even if it is killing poor Wes...) if my plate weren't already too full. Why do I have to write so many things at once? lol

18. Rowan_Jade

Nov 14, 2003
    Well, Mara, because you hang out in Jesina Land. It's kinda like a big amusement park, with lots of stuffed Ewoks to win and Pretty clothes and cool guns, and neat X-Wing Sim Rides.

The only drawback to it is the whole park is littered with rabid flesh eating plot bunnies... so careful where ya walk!!!

Myri, I can bribe you too if it means I don't have to kill my Wessie Pooh....

I figured it wouldn't work with Jes, nothing does, so how's about it? I'll find more fics for you (check your socks in box by the way) and you talk Jes out of makeing me kill Wes... deal???

19. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    How many things are you writing right now, Mara? I know of one...

I have four actual fics...False Truths and Shades of the Past are both up on the boards.

Then I have a very dark fic called Pain that will go up sometime soon after the move.

And then there's another one, that talkingbanana and Myri are beta'ing for me, titled Traitors' Honor...which is the one that Ro mentioned McEwok helped me title.

Jesina land, eh, Ro? No one's actually MAKING you do anything...though we'd like if there were responses other than me, Myri, and McEwok. :D

20. RogueMara

Jan 29, 2005
    Flesh eating? Whoa! Don't recall signing on for that, no siree!

And yet, somehow, I can't resist the little buggers...those cute snarling faces...the pointy little fangs...*sigh*

Edit: Well, there's the one you know about, then there is the original one I'm writing *cough*sig*cough*, then there is a GI Joe one (yeah, what of it? lol), then there are some challenges on my own board that I think will be fun to write as well (One of each: Star Wars, Harry Potter and LotR)...for some reason I think I'm forgetting something...

21. Rowan_Jade

Nov 14, 2003
    yup! that's them... close cousins of the Rancor-Ewok over in WJFC

I'm stuck Jes!!!!!!

Help Me Fiendy-Wan Kenobi, You're my only hope!!!!

I can't figure out how to off the man I love.....

GAH!!

22. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Fiendy-Wan Kenobi [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

*gasps for breath*

Myri's missing out, being away like this...

Well, you can do illness...you can do assassination...you can do execution (either because he's accused of some heinous crime that we all know he wouldn't have committed or because he's been captured and they're going to kill him)...you can have him with fatal injuries...you can have him sacrificing himself a la Bruce Willis in Armageddon...

Getting more specific...

You can have him throw himself in front of a blaster bolt...you can have him take a torp for one of the others...you could have him trade his life for a friend who's been captured...you can have him poisoned...you can have him blown out of space by a lucky shot...

There are a lot of different ways. If I thought for a bit I could probably come up with more...

Does it say something that I could come up with all these ways to kill Wessie with only about three minutes' thought?

23. RogueMara

Jan 29, 2005
    *shakes head* Geez, Jes...lol

24. SweetPea

SweetPea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 8, 2004
    Wow, Jes. If there was any doubt about you having an evil mind before...:p

25. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    SweetPea, did you just realize how evil Jes is? :p