main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New DownTime - Pilot Fic Index and Discussion Thread - Third Challenge Up!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pilot_Fic_Index, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    Umm, drinking, sex, and pranks

Um... duh... But how do you think a semi-mature NJO era Jedi pilot would act?

My main problem with my WIP is balancing the goofy and oddball nature of the X-wing books with the gritty realism and seriousness of the NJO.

2. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Well a jedi would probably be meditating, or honing his/her skills. Would this be a squad of Jedi, or a squad just with a Jedi? Because if there are non-Jedi, that would allow for lots of good pranks when they're meditating :p

3. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Oooh...whoever started this thread was a genious. Pilots just don't get enough appreciation in the SW books.

As for the semi-mature NJO-era Jedi pilot question...um... take a look at Kyp Durron if you're looking for unofficial, and I guess Jaina for official.

But my thinking is that durring the NJO, pilots (whether officially official or not) wouldn't have much free time.

4. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Like Wes Janson? ;)

5. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I PMed the Pilot_Fic_Index with one of my stories (to be added to the listing) and apparently the Index hasn't even read my PM yet. It's been over a week.

6. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    Well a jedi would probably be meditating, or honing his/her skills. Would this be a squad of Jedi, or a squad just with a Jedi? Because if there are non-Jedi, that would allow for lots of good pranks when they're meditating

Well the NJO Jedi are more like normal people, but they're still Jedi.*Shrug*

So, I'm trying to write for Jedi pilots and making them sound more like pilots than Jedi. And I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Bleh... Whatever...

7. Stars_Guitar

Stars_Guitar Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    Hmmmmm Making Jedi sound like pilots that are jedi...

Remove some of the arrogance, make it seem like they know whats happening before it happens, and there ya go...

8. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    Remove some of the arrogance, make it seem like they know whats happening before it happens, and there ya go...

Maybe, but it kinda sounds like over-simplification.

What I'm truely afraid of, is creating a Jedi pilot that sounds more like Han Solo than Corran Horn, Luke Skywalker or Anakin Skywalker. *Shrugs again*

9. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    That's not so bad, having a Jedi almost like Han. Because really, Corran is almost like Han, only with thinking a little bit more before he does something.

But it also depends on what type of Jedi your character will be. Is he/she going to be a full fledged Jedi, or just a Force sensitive who knows a few things? In that case, you can look at Tyria Sarkin from the X-Wing series.

10. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    But it also depends on what type of Jedi your character will be. Is he/she going to be a full fledged Jedi, or just a Force sensitive who knows a few things?

Several of my characters are Jedi pilots. Some are knights and others are aprentices. And I've made up personalities for most of them, but as I've said I find it hard to ballance the Jedi part of their personalities with the pilot part of their personalities.

For example one character is a bold rash, and reckless teenage Corellian Jedi.

Another is a more like Jack O'Neill from Stargate SG-1, a natural leader, with a bit of a sarcastic streak.

A third is a reluctant hero that hates that the war has made the Jedi little more than super-powered vigilantes.

Get my point?

11. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Yeah...but now I'm out of suggestions, except for the last personality. He sounds a little Jacen Soloish.

12. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    He sounds a little Jacen Soloish.

She.

She sounds a little Jacen Soloish. :p

Trust me they'll be different enough that there will be no possible way to confuse them. For example she will have a bit of a "wild-child" past that happened before her Jedi powers were decsovered.

13. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    [face_blush] Uh-oh, my bad. But she sounds like she's going to be an interesting character. Good luck on it!

14. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    But she sounds like she's going to be an interesting character. Good luck on it!

Thanks. I'm hoping fans will like her and my other characters, but I still have a lot of work to do on my fic before I can start posting it and start getting fans. :p

15. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    Maybe this is a stupid, but in writing space dogfights, saying that some one "climbed" or "dived", seems to be a bit odd since there is no true "up" or "down" in space.

How do you guys and girls deal with that?

I tend to think that in space "clibing" would mean heading "up" the lattitude of a planet while "diving" would mean going "down" the lattitude of a planet.

Or am I thinking about this way too much?

16. Iella

Iella Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    I consider up and down to be relative to the pilot's position, not to anything else. If s/he's climbing, s/he's pulling the ship basically in the direction his/her head is in relation to his/her body. When you have fights that occur in deep space, you often end up without any planets to use for reference, so I go by the pilot.

17. TheBothanJedi

May 16, 2004
    Iella, that was what I was gonna do originally, but it sounded almost too simple.

I guess I'll do it that way. No need to purposely make my life harder than it has to be, right? ;)

18. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Thought the new people might be interested in this board too...

19. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Thanks Jaya - this is a cool thread. I have kind of a crazy idea for a challenge if anyone's interested... Take any PT or OT movie scene and replace Anakin Skywalker (or Vader) with the personalities of one of the pilots. So you might have Wesakin Jaywalker, Wedgakin Skytilles or whatever. Surely, Wes would have more amusing lines to use on Padme for instance.

20. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I've really been enjoying the X-wing series (about 2/3 through Solo Command) and I love InyriForge's fics. I appologize for this being a bit off track for this thread, but I was wondering if any of you authors could explain about Wes's character. In some of the fanfics, he has this womanizing persona that I haven't really picked up in the books.
    Is it just an extension of the general pilot stereotype?
    Is it his PeterPan syndrome?
    Does it come from later books or the comics?
    This has puzzled me for a while and was hoping that someone might be able to provide and answer for me.

Thanks
    Jade

21. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    The womanizing thing I see as an extension of the flirt attitude he's often portrayed as having in the books. Being a flirt doesn't necessarily translate into being a womanizer, but some see it that way, and I think that's where it comes from. I don't think it's anything that's in later books any more than in the earlier books. I think it's just the way some people view his character as developed throughout. I don't agree with that characterization myself, and I don't particularly like seeing him characterized in that manner.

I, personally, see him more as a flirt who strikes out more often than not, and I also tend to see him (and write him) as a more serious character than most people do, so I may not be the best person to explain that approach to writing Wes, but that's my two credits.

I'm admin at a pilot-fic and discussion board, Jade, and if you'd like the link, let me know. :)

Jes

22. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Hi everyone, can i join this thread? Here's my fic:

Title: The Avengers
    Link to your story: The Avengers
    Link to your profile:My Profile
    Co-authors (if applicable):N/A
    Co-authors profiles (if applicable):N/A
    Summary : The story of what led Kyp Durron to found the Dozen and Two Avengers.
    Timeframe:post-Saga, Pre-NJO
    Characters: Kyp Durron, Miko Regalia (SP)
    Genre: squadron fic, action-adventure, space battles
    Notes: not finished yet

Um, and also, what is the current challenge?

23. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Thanks Jes :) I'd love that link.
    And thanks for the info. I haven't really seen him that way in the books either. I think he's more serious than he lets on to people in general, but knows that its important to enjoy life--probably including relationships with women. ;) Not necessarily in a womanizing fashion.

24. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Um, again, can i join, and if i can, what is the challenge?

25. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    There's actually not a current challenge... we're pretty busy at our own board and, admittedly, haven't been keeping this up as well as we should have. [face_blush]

If you're interested, I can send you the link to that board. :)

We'll work on getting challenges going again here though. Thanks for the interest!

Oh, and you're certainly welcome to join. We'll work on getting your story added to the index, along with others that have been waiting...

Jes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.