main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends The New Empire 4: A Powerful Ally (NJO AU, COMPLETED AT LAST 030704.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sebulba2179, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    *sigh* Well, looks like that's it for replies, so...

Sache: Oh yeah, he's got a lot of steps to watch. He definitely won't be able to please everybody. And if you check a few of your old PMs, you will probably find out who Elakie is. ;)

Tych: He might do well to be seen with them, as long as he's trying to stop them from making a bad situation worse...

RebelMom: Social strife, and the wrongfulness thereof, is exactly what I'm emphasising in this story. The angst might be a little harder to write, considering where things are headed, but I'll give it some cogitation.

I'm hoping to have the next post some time this weekend, gang--and it'll contain a nice surprise. :D Also, I've begun planning my next fanfic series for post-NJO: "Raiders of the Lost Jedi." It's not going to involve Jacen rescuing Han while searching for the Holy Lightsaber, but it'll be something along those lines. ;)

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    but that sounds so cool Sebby. ;)

3. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Awwww.... I have to go through old PM's? All.... seven pages of them. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

And the IJ tribute series sounds like fun, fun, fun! :)

4. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Hehehe..... I know now. [face_mischief]

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Yes, yes, I'm still here. *Surreptitiously sneaks into the thread and gives it a roller-coaster ride up to the top.* Nice post, Seb . Too tired to say anything other than that. *Yawns* People really should start thinking twice about waking teenagers up at 5:00 in the morning to go to school.

Aun

6. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Curse those genes, eh, Aunecah? ;) (Seriously, that genetic predisposition has been in the news a few times...)

Sebolla was just stepping out when Jaina and Anakin stepped in at the city courthouse, signing in for official business. Already they had gotten a line from Jacen via comlink on what to look for, so it didn't take them long to find what they were after: county records. These would include building permits and an office copy of the intent to cut. Without those, they could have the development suspended indefinitely while they investigated the matter, but neither of them was feeling quite that lucky.

"Bilganne Incorporated," Jaina said, handing the log-in pad to Anakin. "Ever hear of it?"

"Nope. Must be a local bunch." Anakin chicken-scratched his name on the pad and planted it on the front desk before the security droid on duty. "I'd like to see what other fast ones they've pulled, though, if they've developed most of Pixelito in the last few years," he continued as he and Jaina entered the county records office.

"Yeah, well, you better take a number if you know what's good for you."

Jaina and Anakin both stopped dead in their tracks, open-mouthed and dumbfounded at what they beheld. At one of the tables in the room sat an all-too-familiar face, twisting his chair sideways and staring morosely at them. The computer terminal in front of him was lit, and the print was too small for them to read at this distance, but the look on his face told them that they'd better watch their step.

"Ray?" Jaina said when she had gathered her thoughts. "What's got you all the way out here?"

"Keepin' an eye on you kids. What do you think I'd be doing in this neck of the woods, digging for old fossils?" Ray Sorveli answered sarcastically, shoving himself to his feet. "We've got enough of those back at headquarters. Anyway, I've got two barrels on this one. The other is official business. You two all about that tree thorp crud on the east side?" He started toward the tiers of county records at the back of the room, with Jaina and Anakin tagging along.

"That's what we're here for," Anakin said.

"Like I said, take a number. You guys aren't the only ones who see a pattern of conduct from the Gran Protectorate. The special envoy from Kinyen is the one who's under my blaster right now."

"The guy who represents the homeworld government on Malastare, you mean?" Anakin asked.

"Yeah, Arks Piroe," Sorveli said, pausing at one of the tiers to search for a data card. "The guy's as dirty as a Mos Eisley restroom. We've had him under unofficial investigation for over a year, but he's got so many senators under his belt that his pants are falling down. Now that the city of Pixelito has pulled this eviction out of their ass, now the investigation's official. If the city violated eminent domain and the Gran Protectorate is trying to cover it up, we start with Piroe and go on up the food chain."

"You wouldn't care for some extra hands, would you?" Jaina offered.

"Nah, you guys have to look into the eviction. Piroe's my problem. Maybe we'll hit each other head-on a couple of days down the pike, but let's burn that bridge when we get to it." Sorveli found the data card he was looking for and yanked it out of the tier with a flourish, turning to head back to his terminal.

"If we're hitting head-on later," Jaina said, falling into step beside him, "you sure you don't mind a little extra help?" She pulled her own data card out of her hip pocket, handing it over.

"What's this?" Sorveli asked quizzically, turning the data card in his hand.

"Profiles on a bunch of Gran workers we talked to at the job site. They tried to knock us over, and they failed miserably, but that means something ain't right. Any chance you can give us a hand checking them out? I mean, I'll lay you eight to five it's relevant."

Sorveli slowed his pace, gazing at the card for a long moment. Granted, his first thought was that any involvement by the Solo kids would lead to trouble as high as his prominent nose. However, he w

7. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Oh wow! That post really packed a punch!

First of all...

Yay, it's Ray! And Yes, I just realized that that rhymed :p

And the tension between Sebrona and Sebolla is even more intense than before, if that were possible. And I'm liking Elakie already :)

This is really such a unique and interesting fic all around. The setting and conflict are original, and hey... we've got a podrace yet to look forward to ;)

And I think the Dug should try out for the Summer Olympics ;) Or would that be overqualifying their team. :) I love the arboreal gymnastics though. They sounded like so much fun. **whistful sigh**

8. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    **grrrr** Get ye up there! :p

9. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Great post, Seb! I would have replied sooner, but I didn't have time to check my stories and finish up your post during lunch.

The tension between Sebolla and Sebrona is gettingn to the point where it can be seen! As for Ray showing up, somehow, I doubt it's a coincidence. And I have a feeling that he'll end up caught in the middle of the fight that's brewing between the Dug siblings, whether he wants to or not.

Please, don't keep us all waiting so long for the next post!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

10. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    It's Ray! I think Ray's knows the Solos well enough that he's probably positive they won't listen to him.

ah, Sebby has a girlfriend. I'm curious as to whether you have created the Dug society your self or if there is an official version? It's really fascinating.

the brothers' relationship is taking a beating. I hope they can mend it.

11. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Sache: I figured I probably ought to have *some* kind of action at this point in the story--hence the sibling rivalry and the canopy scene. There'll be plenty more later on. I'm glad you think what you think of the story, but may I suggest you save your breath as far as upping goes.

Tych: Ray's appearance is most definitely not a coincidence. I'll try not to keep you waiting long, but with feedback as scanty as it is, inspiration don't come easy.

RebelMom: I'm going by the official site and some EU sources to refer to Dug society. The tree thorps, the indentured servitude to the Gran, and the Dugs' resulting bitterness are all canon. Other than that, I'm creating a lot of the finer details in here.

::watches story get buried under unimaginable volumes of mush and be completely overlooked in the fanfic awards::

12. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    You bet. In an English class, we were studying Another Planet, and had to come up with ways to make the school a more enjoyable experience. I think I finally figured out (as I was doing my research) why so many people just want to close their eyes and forget that there is such a thing as school.

::clears throat:: You didn't want to hear that. Anyway, nice post. I barely finish the last one, and you're up with a six-paged next one. ::Sighs::

Aun

13. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    I too, love the insight to Dug society... and Dug mush... whoulda thought? I love it :-D Oh and Sebulby! He continued rapidly up in this fashion, reaching the thick limb before Jacen and Jerrica even reached the bottom of the ladder.

"See?" he called down. "Piece of cake!"
    You naughty boy... ;)

14. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Aunecah - Yeah, I know the feeling. No worries, I think this one is a tad shorter. ;)

Luney - Who's naughtier, me for writing it or you for implying it? :p

In dire circumstances, the instincts of any sentient being can include a private retreat, and that retreat is most likely to be at a secret place where the individual has found solitude. Sebrona had several around Pixelito, all in the surrounding tree thorps. Shortly before he started seeing Elakie, he had found one in the crotch of a black bougenna across the compound from her hut. He would make sure he was hidden, and he would watch as she gyrated hither and thither from branch to branch making her way to or from home. He now made his way to the place not long after Sebolla began his march, but this time, he faced away from the hut. He closed his eyes, burying himself in the Force.

Presently, a rustling of leaves from the branches above shook him out of his reverie. His Force senses indicated that it was neither Jacen nor Jerrica, and his first fleeting hope was that it was Sebolla seeking to apologise for the error of his ways. He had no such luck, but he was supremely satisfied when it turned out to be Elakie instead.

"You okay, Seb?" she asked, balancing just up the branch from him.

Sebrona's frustration had yet to leave him completely, and he hung his head. "I wish I could just make him see what he's doing," he sighed. "I mean, a difference of opinion is okay by me. But we've got two different ways to go about it--mine is to investigate to a logical conclusion, his is to declare civil war on the Gran. Now answer me this, El, which one do you think would get us further?"

"Okay, I think you've got a point. But I don't think the Gran will see it so clearly. The Gran Protectorate envoy here is actually a Malastare native who's spent most of his life on Kinyen, and he's got so much influence that he'll be hard to override."

"Especially after all the flak the Jedi have been taking from the Senate in the last few years," Sebrona mused. "I can't stop being a Jedi and start being a Dug, for Force's sake. I have to show them that I'm both. Still, being a needle in a haystack isn't going to make it easy." He paused, earnestly looking up. "Can't you help me out here, El? Can't you spread the word that I'm back and that I'm trying to resolve this?"

"You know I can't do that, Seb," Elakie said with gentle honesty. "That's just going to split us into two separate camps and you know it. You of all people know how badly we'll be weakened if that happens." Seeing his downcast eyes and his noticeable slouch, she let her voice trail off, rethinking what she wanted to say. He had so much on his mind already that she didn't want to be the straw to break the eopie's back. If anything, she wanted to take any load off his mind that she possibly could.

"I mean, it's going to be a big enough job to overcome what's happened here in the last eight millennia," she continued.

"Tell me something I don't know. That's the next thing I have to worry about after we set things straight." Sebrona looked up, and Elakie was ready to offer some comforting thoughts if she heard any more despondency escape his lips. When his gaze met hers, she saw no such feeling. Instead, she saw deep thought, almost an epiphany. He was on to something.

"What did you say about the envoy from the Gran Protectorate?" he asked.

"I said he was a Malastare native, but he spent most of his life on Kinyen learning his way around politics and the subjugation that goes with it," Elakie repeated. "He's got influence up to ying-yang on Malastare, Kinyen and Coruscant."

"Then that's what you can do," Sebrona told her. "You've been around for the past few years and I haven't. Whatever you can tell me about this guy, I think I might have some leverage. Let's go get Jacen."

Data cards in hand, Jaina and Anakin had set up shop at two computer terminals across the desk from Sorveli's. They had been at it for the better part of an hour, and they could tell that

15. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    I really like Elakie. And I really like Jerrica, and I really like Sebrona. And I really like Ray, have I ever mentioned before that I really like Ray? ;) He is one fun dude. :p

Anyway, regarding the actual post.... ;)

Elakie must be a very strong Dug to be able to turn down a tough request like that when it comes from someone she loves like Sebrona. Wow.

Also, the description of the monorail's conditions led me to all sorts of mental images of possible final showdowns for this fic, ala Speed or Mission Impossible. Crazy stuff. We'll see if my impressions are correct or not later on, I guess.

And the back-and-forth across the office conversation between Anakin, Jaina, and Ray... too fun!

Gosh Seb, you think so much awesome detail into these political scandals and behind-the-scenes criminal things. You should go be a scriptwriter for a detective show! :)

16. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I think the Gran are in charge of the city of Seattle. they just had a close election regarding extending the monorail to be more than a tourist attraction. Public transportation is in the dark ages here.

I love how your plot is thickening. :)

17. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    *sigh* UP!!!!!!!!! :mad:

18. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    **Takes Naboo Royal Slingshot ® and propels fic to top of board**

19. Sebby_the_Snowdug

Sebby_the_Snowdug Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2002
    Oh, well, guess nobody's interested. I'll be off to work on some other projects now that are more worth the while.

20. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Excellent post, your Sebulbiness ;)

21. Sebby_the_Snowdug

Dec 17, 2002
    Sache: Don't think I haven't thought of it. ;) Never seen Mission Impossible, so I plead coincidence if there are any similarities to the final showdown therein.

RebelMom: Hehe. Do they also subjugate the citizens? I work for a public-transit system, so problems like that are easy to figure out.

Having resigned myself to the knowledge that you two are the only ones who aren't going to cast this story aside, I guess I'll keep it open just for your sake.

Luney: Thanks, but it's obviously not excellent enough or some people would actually be READING it.

22. Sebby_the_Snowdug

Dec 17, 2002
  23. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    **ROTFL at Sebby's Stocking**

That's good Sebbum's :p

Hmmn.... Maybe someday I'll have a sock of my own. ;)

24. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Seb dear, I'm still here. I just haven't realized that you posted. Now let me go and read your latest post and see what you've got in store for us.

EDIT: Hmm ... so the plot now thickens. I love Elakie (sp.?). I especially liked that part where she referred to Jace as "Sebulba Solo." ;) btw, if you ever actually *d0* end up writing a screenplay, be sure to let me know.

Aun

25. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Seb, sorry that it's taken this long for me to reply, but that was great. And having Sebrona and Maaizeh split up in my own fic was certainly inspired, in some way, by your ideas here. Going to be interesting to see what happens when Soreveli's, Sebrona's, and the Solo kids (Jaina and Anakin) all end up discovering that their lines of investigation are related.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel