main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The New Empire 4: A Powerful Ally (NJO AU, COMPLETED AT LAST 030704.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sebulba2179, Nov 11, 2002.

1. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    PLJ - Take your time, m'lady, take your time. Coruscant wasn't built in day. :p

Tych - Eh, even if they don't find trouble on Naboo, they're liable to walk right into it sooner or later - which they couldn't possibly do if Jerrica had won, you understand. ;)

RebelMom - No worries, as long as Gardulla's in on it, Luke will get his chance to have fun. [face_devil] And I'll reserve commentary about them finding romance on Naboo.

Saché - Yes, Naboo, I did say. Actually, I think we discussed it recently... ;) I'm glad, though, that it's enough for you that Jacen didn't just let Jerrica win no matter what.

2. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Upsy-daisy!

"The battle for the pod race is over. The battle with Gardulla... is just begun." ;)

3. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Having separated from the rest of the gathering, Luke headed straight for the betting parlours, and having reached the gambling avenue, he took his bearings. As he sidled and maneuvered around exiting bystanders, gamblers, and managers, he rubbed his front teeth with his tongue, brainstorming for a benign way to approach Sebrona without angering him. Luke wished he could identify with him, but that was going to be near impossible - had Gardulla lost her bet, it would have been much harder for Luke to accumulate what he needed to destroy her for good.

As he drew closer to the midpoint of the hallway, he peeked into each parlour as he passed it, waiting for Sebrona's presence in the Force to jump out at him from within. Upon peeking into the third parlour, he didn't need his Force senses; he spied Sebrona still standing by the window, conversing quietly with Elakie about what was going on. Luke stood back, waiting for the masses to pile out of the parlour before he made his presence known.

Eventually the parlour emptied out, and Luke leaned in the doorjamb, staring toward the window. Sebrona spotted him almost at once, and raising one eyeridge, he gave Luke a sidelong glance, advising Elakie to park herself and wait till he had done his business. Then he brachiated up the inclining floor to the doorway, folding his legs, and staring up at Luke with a look in his eyes that belied his bitterness.

"Did this have to happen?" he asked. His voice was impassive, but there was a definite undertone of fury. "Moreover, did it have to happen this way? Do you have any idea what in bloody hell he was thinking?"

"I don't think anything had to happen at all," Luke said, raising his hands. "Listen, I know you likely won't believe this at first. But Jacen doesn't like the outcome any better than you do. His job is no easier than yours now, and he was just about ready to throw it when he found a hydrospanner in the works. He honestly didn't want to win, for your sake."

"Then why in the Force's name did he do it?" Sebrona demanded. "Why couldn't he just leave well enough alone? Did he just change his mind at the last possible dwindling second and decide that his own status was more important to him than cleaning up this mess? I don't buy that, Master, not at all."

"And well you shouldn't, because I do know that that's not what was on Jacen's mind," Luke said firmly. "And I can tell you another thing, not as Jacen's uncle, but as a Jedi Master: He knows what he's doing. He knew what he was going to do no matter what the outcome, he just couldn't know how difficult it would be. I don't know exactly what happened out there, but I know Jacen's not the bad guy here. Right now we're working our way up through Gardulla's influence in the Malastare government to link her to what's going on. You know very well that it's her, Arks Piroe, Al-Rees Chool and Force knows who else that we're after. So have faith in Jacen and in the Force, okay? This will be over soon, just not as soon as we hoped."

"Well, the sooner the better." Reaching for his left side, Sebrona withdrew the holocam he had pilfered from his brother and held it aloft. "This should be of some help. I don't know what's on it, but I took it off my brother and his buddies. So it should give us a nice dirty back story."

"Let's hope so," Luke said, nudging the holocam back toward him. "Why don't you hook up with Jaina and Ray, since they're checking out the powers that be in Pixelito, and find out what's on that holocam. I don't think Jaina needs to be reminded that this is your fight."

"I'm certainly glad you realise that." Sebrona was tempted to add that Jaina was currently treating him with more compassion than Jacen, but wary of a dark-side spiel, he zipped his lip. Still, it just wouldn't stop bothering him. Jacen had to know that he was one of the Dug's four closest friends at the academy, but he had still gone ahead and blasted his way through the race to victory. Sebrona cursed his inborn knack for seeing the black-and-white aspects of the univer

4. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    *bounces* Methinks perhaps there was a list of all Gardulla's past slaves in that information.... ;)

**cough**

At any rate, wow... that last line was awesome. Sebrona's optimism is infectious. I can't wait to see the full reasoning behind it. ;)

5. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    That bit of info that produced such shock wouldn't have to do with a pair of slaves Gardulla lost betting on podraces, would it? :)

As for Sorveli and gang, if taking down the Gran Protectorate is what's required, so be it. Go to it, guys!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    This needs to go up ;)

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Some illegal accountant wasn't too smart to leave damaging information on their computer where somebody could hack it and use it against them.

I'm glad Sebrona worked through his anger - I'd hate to see him loose his friendship with Jacen.

glad to see Luke again. :)

8. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    *reserves commentary on Luke's discovery* :p

Saché - Patience, young handmaiden, patience....just another two or three posts.....

Tych - Indeed, I think they will soon find that they have no other choice; if not in this fic, then maybe in another one.

PLJ - Thanks for the support. ;)

RebelMom - Shades of Enron, eh? ;) Jacen's pretty well kicking himself for the whole thing anyway, so I don't think we have to worry. Also, plenty more Luke (and Han) in store before the story's over. :D

9. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Page four? What is this doing languishing down here? Me thinks this needs to go up!

*Tacks the story to a vibroblade, and hurls it to the top.* Thats's better.

Tych_sel

10. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Well, I was going to try and post this weekend, but something just came up: specifically,

My Nephew.

He came into the world at 4:00 this afternoon, so we're going up to see him and my sister either tomorrow or Saturday. Personally, I can't wait. :D My sister called about an hour ago, and we were all like, "How the hell did he get here so early???" He wasn't premature - apparently his due date was a wee bit overestimated, but he's in perfect health and so is my sis. We couldn't believe it, natch. ;)

But anyway, there's my little nugget of happiness for the day. :D

11. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Congratulations Uncle Seb! ;) I love babies.

12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Congrats Uncle Sebby. I wonder if he'll feel the need for speed?

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I think this needs a Fall UP! :D

14. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    Uppage, in anticipation of a new post later today or tomorrow. :cool:

15. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    With a surefire look of skepticism in his eyes, and an air about him that was nothing short of cynical, the security sergeant on the ground level of the courthouse couldn't suppress a snort at the guard before him. "I told you before, Tork, they're only human," he said acidly. "You've got nothing to fear from them. Humans are all talk and no action!"

"Tell that to the one who mugged me on Geer Street a few years back," the guard protested, lifting his hands in earnest.

"You should have expected that if you were walking down the street in that part of town," the sergeant said. "Humans are the most populous race in the galaxy, and you're no use to anybody as a security guard if you can't handle them."

"But this one was a cop. How is building security supposed to stand up against police officers on legal investigations? I mean, maybe if you just - "

"What did you say?" the sergeant cut him off, inclining his head. Indeed, an officer of the law held considerable clout over a security guard; at least, that was what had been drummed into his head by his boss. And his boss wanted to know if any police officers showed up in the courthouse on active investigations for the next few days. His flaplike right ear stiffened, and again he pried, "Did you say that man was a cop?"

"An NRMP detective. Probably researching a case, but damned if I know what kind of research he was doing."

"Well," the sergeant said, taking a deep breath, "police business is police business, and security business is security business. As you said, it's not your place to stand up to him unless he's making a scene. Why don't you mind the detectors for a little while? I'll take your post until the shift change."

"I'll do that. And, thank you." The guard nodded, straightening up from the sergeant's desk and turning away. Pausing at his desk work, the sergeant waited until the guard was quite safely in the turbolift, door closed, before he reached for the comm unit to one side. Not only was this going to render him invaluable to the denizens of the courthouse, but there were one or two people around here whom he was positive would make it happen. Right now he was going to get a hold of one of them, no matter if he was in the middle of a sentencing hearing.

Jaina counted herself lucky that one of her companions wasn't talking out loud - thus, even if anybody was eavesdropping, they would be hard pressed to pick up on the subject. Sorveli was a little way down the aisle at the county-records bank, and Sebrona was still standing on the stool beside her, keying his observations into the translator. He had zeroed in on the image of one of the Gran in the back of Gardulla's viewing box, and the computer's access memory had lost no time identifying this one.

"Name's Whemek," Jaina read. "Anything on him?"

He's a deputy provincial attorney, low-profile. We won't get anything out of him unless the Gran Protectorate manages to skewer this case into his court.

"Well, we ain't gonna let that happen," Jaina promised.

I don't doubt it, but you'd better get out of that one before somebody sees it. We're checking the guy out in his own courthouse, for Force's sake. Sebrona punched the entry key with a flourish, casting a concerned look up at Jaina.

"Don't worry about it," she placated. "Who's going to get wise to somebody investigating them in their own basement? Besides, when we're done with this case, it'll be so far out of his league that he'll be on the witness stand."

"Hey, listen, kiddo, fifty years down the pike is gonna make this look like a petty theft!" Sorveli called from the archives, where he was poring over the background of the city planning committee.

"Yeah, he hopes we'll keep it up for that long," Jaina whispered to Sebrona, grinning.

In the meantime, Sorveli, looking up the first individual they'd identified in Gardulla's viewing box, had found that he was a member of the city planning committee. He wasn't very well known, hence his ability to go unnoticed alongside Gardu

16. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    "I've got everything I need, so we're done here." Glancing at Sebrona, he pointedly continued, "Now we check in with your girlfriend and heal the broken arm of the law in this city."

Hehehe.... see, there's a reason I love Ray so much. :p

A forensic accountant! Oooh, pick me! Pick me! *waves hand wildly*

*looks at huge, gaping lack of experience* Er... then again, maybe not. ;)

17. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    gotta love Ray's attitude. Glad to see this alive again.

18. Tych_sel

Nov 29, 2001
    Great post Seb. You've got your usual brand of humor working again here, I see.

"Two million credits, or two million city weenies?" Sorveli said rhetorically.

"That's the two-million-credit question," Jerrica jibed, chortling.

Great line. Now let's see who's going to pay the credits to answer the question.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

19. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    I've been really bad with this story, eh? :( Months between posts...gah. Well, I finally had some time yesterday to brainstorm for a couple of new scenes that have been pre-written, and all I can do is hope they'll come out looking like something. Meanwhile...

Saché - Booyah, the accountant scene is coming very very soon...you don't have long to make up your mind... [face_devil] Whatcha say? Wanna help the gang take out another Hutt? :p

RebelMom - I've got plenty of great new Ray stuff planned for the rewrite of WIC... :D

Tych - Somebody's gonna pay, all right, but I shouldn't think it'll be any of our heroes or heroines. [face_devil]

20. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    "You're kidding," Jacen said, his eyes widening in shock.

"You know I never kid about history, Jacen," Luke dissented. "You understand, of course, that I'm going to have a very large bone to pick with Gardulla whenever we catch up with her."

"You've got dibs, Uncle Luke. You can pick a whole skeleton with her, for all I care. We'll handle Piroe and whoever else is in his pocket." Jacen glanced quickly around the courtyard in front of the city archives building, searching with both his eyes and his Force senses for potential eavesdroppers. Trust wasn't his strong suit right now, not until they had exposed every peon on the payroll.

"Much obliged. All right, Anakin and I are going to hop an airbus down to Garrath, see if we can figure out how to link Gardulla to the money discrepancy. Soon as we do that, I'll let you know when to meet us."

"Should be enough time for the rest of us to bring something to light," Jacen agreed.

"Okay," Luke said, patting him on the arm. "Let's get to it."

"Good luck," Jacen said. He wasted no time watching Luke shamble away to rejoin Anakin - there was none left to waste. He turned away, making briskly off for one of the benches at the edge of the courtyard, where Jerrica sat trimming the end of her Padawan braid.

"Where do you want to try first?" she asked, on her feet in an instant.

"Someplace where we can get a line on who the sponsor is."

As it turned out, only one such place made itself known.

Inconspicuously passing by the construction site, they regulated their pace to do so at workday's end. They kept their distance for several minutes, making sure that none of the workers now coming off the site were amongst the ones who had tried to jump them on their first visit. None of those workers caught their eye - the lot of them must still be on reduced duty to limit their contact with interested parties.

Jacen and Jerrica shrouded themselves in the Force before setting off, following the off-duty workers to their afternoon haunt: a medium-sized cantina on the fringes of downtown Pixelito. Be they hitting the bar or the green-tinted sabacc tables, listening in on them would hopefully be worth the risk. Jacen bit his lip thoughtfully, mustering as much trust in the Force as he could, praying that they would pick up what they were after as he and Jerrica strolled through the door.

"So a Bothan walks into a cantina?" he started.

"And the bartender says, 'Why the long face?'" Jerrica finished. "Nice try, Jacen. If you've heard one on Corellia, you've heard them all."

"Well, it's not for lack of trying," Jacen said, tossing up his hands in resignation. "It's not as if I'm brimming over with lousy jokes like when I was a kid, you know?"

"Yeah, lucky for you," Jerrica said smugly. "I've heard about those, and let me tell you now - first one I hear, your sudden lack of mobility will be due to my boot in your kidney."

Jacen snorted derisively, fighting back the urge to elbow her in the ribs. "Some Padawan you are," he gibed as they seated themselves at the bar. Neatly stowing a few shot glasses away in the rack, the bartender nearly flowed over to them in a matter of seconds. Jacen and Jerrica both found it a pleasant change to be greeting someone with less than three eyes - the bartender was a Hokkian. A good, long look around the cantina was enough to tell them that he worked for a living, that he wasn't interested in receiving any assistance under the table from the Gran. He could certainly give them a dispassionate opinion, if not a left-wing one.

"What'll it be?" he asked, resting one hand on the drink dispenser.

"Vinta Harvest Ale, straight up," Jacen said.

"Irido punch for me," Jerrica added.

The bartender had two medium-sized glasses in his hands in a second, placing one under the dispenser and spiriting the other one away to the fountain. Giving Jerrica a sidelong glance, Jacen had to smile, remembering the first time he'd bought her a drink. Not only had she ordered the same thing, but the two of them had gotten to know each other

21. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    High fuel prices? that hits close to home. I love all the skullduggery going on. Half the government locked up? Good place for them in this case.

22. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Ah, the good ol' good cop, bad cop. :p

I do so love Ray ;)

23. Captain_Tych

Captain_Tych Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2002
    Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, but things look like they're tightening up around the Hutts. I think it's only a matter of time now before the Hutts find themselves in deeper poodoo than they though possible.

Somehow, I expected Jaina to react a little more to that "Miss Jedi" comment. Then again, maybe it's better she didn't. We don't need her any closer to the Dark Side than she's been.

Can't wait to see where this is going, Sebby. Keep it coming!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

24. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
  25. Sebulba2179

Feb 5, 2002
    RebelMom - Yeah, for some reason I just feel like bringing a whole government to justice today. Of course, in our society I'd be accused of treason and/or terrorism, so I'll have to make do with fanfic. :p

Saché - Heehee, yeah, Ray just becomes more and more lovable with each passing post, doesn't he? ;)

Tych - Well, if Jaina had gone postal on the guy for the "Miss Jedi" remark, she wouldn't want to subject Ray to all that nasty time-consuming paperwork. :p

PLJ - Heyhey! Perfect timing for an up - a nice new post is ready and waitin'! :D

Jaina and Sebrona didn't even speak to the air-taxi driver on their way to the transportation center, for fear that he was in on it as well. Jaina was sorely tempted not to pay him, painfully aware of where her money might end up, but she would never get away with it - the driver had charged her extra just for having a Dug along. Jaina included a fittingly dirty look with the fare, subtly impressing on him that what went around would come around. She had little love for Dugs on the whole one time, but having seen their side of the credit chip, her opinion had almost made a full 180-degree turn just within the last three days. She could see now why Jacen had gone all out to befriend Sebrona when he first came to the academy. Yet it wasn't just for his sake that she wanted more than ever to play her part.

Without a word to the cabbie, she and Sebrona entered the main rotunda and made tracks toward the first Force signatures they felt, which led them to the west side. There lurked Jacen and Jerrica, leaning unobtrusively against the wall a few meters away from the monorail concourse. She couldn't help noting with amusement that they were unknowingly striking the exact same pose, arms folded and legs crossed. They did, however, straighten up the instant they saw their cronies approaching, leaving Jaina little time to speculate on just why they were in such unison today.

"Okay, we're here," Jaina announced, clapping her hands. "Now does somebody want to tell me why the hell we're all so tense?"

"Other than the obvious?" Jacen said, looking at his chronometer and noting with concern that they had just over two hours left. "Well, suffice it to say Uncle Luke has taken a bit more personal interest in this case."

"Oh, great," Jaina chortled. "I remember the last time he took a personal interest in something, he as good as took out - "

It was here that Jacen interrupted by clearing his throat loudly, and only now did Jaina become wise to the new Force signature she felt - it was uncomfortably close, and behind her. Squeezing her eyes shut in embarrassment, she turned around, feeling herself flush as she opened them and beheld the topic of conversation standing behind her with a raised brow. He and Anakin had just returned via airbus from Garrath, arriving in the nick of time to hear Jaina's almost-remark.

"?Hi, unk," she said stiffly.

"Hi," Luke replied. "You were saying?"

"I'll tell you later," Jaina said.

"Yes, indeed you will. Is Ray here?"

"Not yet," Sebrona jumped in. "He had a little extra work to do at the capitol, but we won't need any more time thanks to him."

"Good, because we don't have any left," Luke commented, cocking his head to steal his own short glance at Jacen's chronometer. "As it is, we'll be lucky if we're able to get our eggs in order and hatch them within the next couple of hours." He paused as he saw Jacen's head snap up abruptly, his gaze shooting off to the left. Luke turned, feeling his pulse quicken as he saw Ray Sorveli hastening onto the rotunda, radiating success and striding with eagerness.

"Sorry I'm late," Sorveli announced as he broke into the ring. "Had to bring one of those lofty ninnies back down to our level."

"I bet he'll have fun being surrounded by Dugs a helluva lot more foul-tempered than yours truly," Sebrona said, grinning sardonically.

"All right, since we're all present, let's start at the end and work our way back to the beginning," Luke said. "Here's where we stand now: the embas