main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The *NEW* First Sentence Challenge -- New Sentence 10/07/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by FirstSentence, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSoloWan

JSoloWan Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2006
    Haven't written one of these in while!

Plan B (http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/29942363/p1/)

2. FirstSentence

FirstSentence Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2007
    Normally, I have some witty words or anecdotes for this spot, but I'm lacking time in a major way. As such, I've got a sentence that's from a book that appears to be lost in time. Enjoy!

Rarely is it given man to know the day or the hour when fate intervenes in his destiny, but, because he had checked his watch just before he saw the girl with the hips, he knew the day, the hour, and the minute.--The Last Starship from Earth by John Boyd

3. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    I know that it's been a horridly long time since I've pushed a sentence up here, but there's a reason for that, mainly the simple fact that I've been obscenely busy with work--to the point that I've not even written anyt fiction in nigh upon 3 months. But enough of my woes, you're here for the new sentence!

Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them.

4. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Ooh, I really like that sentence -- and the one before it. Can we use old sentences?

This just might start my SW muse going again...

5. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Sure, you can use old sentences. :)

6. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
  7. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    It worked wonderfully! Thanks for participating!

8. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    I have an on-going fic that the newest sentence would go perfectly into. Can I use it?

9. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    you can use the sentence (and there's no need to label the story "First Sentence" since technically, it's not the 1st sentence of the story), just if possible, note in that post that the sentence came from here and give us a bit of link love :D

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    It's been a while since I darkened these hallowed halls, but here I am. I chose an older sentence which produced a angsty little number titled:

Who Is More Foolish?

OC centric. Enjoy.

11. mujapple-juicey

mujapple-juicey Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2008
    Well, it was a first sentence challenge for a past sentence, I've just migrated away from this sentence thing for a while

12. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    Another two weeks have come and gone, much to my surprise, shock and awe... the utter surprise that came over me as I recieved the notification that it was now time to do this again was amazing.... which made picking this particular sentence all that much easier....

Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  14. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    You see, I was watching the Princess Bride last night instead of posting the First Sentence like I should have been. So, as I was reviewing the sentences that I've not used yet, I found this one, and just knew that it had to go up next.

So, get your proverbial pencils out, and generate me some mush ;)

"You call it madness, but I call it love."

15. BaronCoop

BaronCoop Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2006

Here you go:

Love or Madness

It's an exercise in brevity, and probably NOT what you were looking for. Still, enjoy!

16. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Finally got mine up. Not mushy. But funny. :p

I have no idea how I came up with this but it's the sentence's fault.

Involuntarily Uncooperative

17. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    I know I usually have pithy (at least to myself) text at the start of these things, but out of the past 100 hours, I've worked nearly 80 of them. And I still have more to go, so you'll have to forgive me for not being pithy.

So, without further ado (which means I can trudge back to work) here's the sentence

As the guests began to arrive, one member of the household was conspicuously absent.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I posted a nummy vig in the NSWFF board called What If...If Only; it uses a sentence from earlier this year. [face_dancing] Link: http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_fan_fiction/b10808/30307062/p1/

19. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Absent

I like this challenge - I'm going to keep track of it :D

20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    and I have one for this challenge

Cake disaster

21. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Do we get another sentence soon? [face_batting]

22. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    apparently, Google Calendar did NOT send me my EMAIL NOTIFICATION that this was due yesterday. I'll post it tonight.

23. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I didn't even know this was going by schedule. :p

I was mainly just wondering because I need something to jump-start the artistic part of my brain. ;)

24. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Yes, the schedule is every other week on Tuesday night.

These times where there's weeks between them, is when I fail to either get (or notice) the notification from my calendar.

New sentence in a bit!

25. FirstSentence

Dec 31, 2007
    Ah, the joy of reaching the END of a huge software development project. Specifically, one which the schedule is designed for a team of 3, and it ends up just being a lone programmer working on it. Therefore, I declare that this sentence must be the FINAL SENTENCE

Then couple that with the ComicCon FotJ panel and Mr. Denning's comments during it, I felt that this sentence just was the most.... relevant.

A kiss could change the world. -- The Killing of Worlds by Scott Westerfield

And remember, this is a FINAL SENTENCE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.