main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The New Jedi Order Fan Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The_Clone_of_Maul, Jul 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    hmm... it could be that she saw nothing at all. That would be surprising! :p Anyway, I have no idea what she saw. Something disappointing, but powerful enough to get the attention of Shimmra.

hopefully it'll be explained in detail :D

2. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
  3. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Okay, you asked for more posts, so I'll give it a whirl.
    I have a real love-hate relationship with the NJO. I'll admit that the death in Vector Prime threw me off at first, but when I went back and re-read the book I found it to be well-written and entertaining. I have no real love nor interest in the Vong characters, but on the other hand do we really want to read ANOTHER story about the Emperor coming back or the Empire trying to take over the galaxy with a couple of pitiful Star Destroyers? Uhhh, no, not really. The Agents of Chaos books were...well, a little too chaotic since I trouble following the battle scenes and such, so I was often confused. However, I found Balance Point to be really interesting (and I'm not just saying that since I'm a Jacen fan, which I am). I still don't know how I feel about Star by Star. I've read it once, and I'm holding off on reading it again since it's really an intense book. So, I guess the point of this long rant(?) is that in taking good with the bad, I'd have to say that I'd rather have however many NJO books there will be instead of no new stories in the EU (I'm getting really tired of all the focus on prequel stuff and not enough focus on the characters I've actually grown up with, but that's just my opinion).
    So, people, agree? Disagree? Don't care? Think I should leave? What?

4. Farmboy

Farmboy Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2002
    That's an interesting view. I'd like to join this club.

5. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    Welcome, you two.

Dark Journey is officially out now! Has anyone read it?

6. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Dec 6, 2001
    Hello, Farmboy! What do you like about the NJO? Just curious.

No, I haven't read Dark Journey yet. <Pouts>. I find it really interesting that people complain so much about the NJO, but what Star Wars books came out during the Bantam era that got so many people anxious enough to want to buy a book the DAY of its release? (Or even earlier, in some cases)

Just my two credits on the subject :).

7. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    Most of those people just can't stand death. But as Yoda put it, "That is the way of things... the way of the Force." Even though some of our heroes die young, they live their lives to the fullest :)

Anyway, I don't really care whether it's Bantam or Del Rey. Lots of the same authors write for both. :D I didn't really become a SW fan until after all the Bantam books were out :( so the NJO and prequel books are the only ones that've come out in my time.

8. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Over all I've enjoyed the Series. I especially liked what happened to Borsk in Star by Star.

9. Amithyst_Blade

Amithyst_Blade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    I second that! I'm reading DJ now, but I'm not that far in it.

I do have one thing I really believe.... Jaina can't end up with Kyp. Nor Jagged, or Zekk. Why?

1. Kyp is too old.

2. Jagged, he might be a possiblity but he is kidda stiff. Maybe if he is for her he should surprise her by being funny and catching her off guard... but if not, he's not for her.

3. Zekk is a good friend to her. If he can't have her he will protect her. That point has already been made in SBS and DJ, which I find cute.

As for me, I'm new to this thread. 16/f, and started reading the whole EU novel universe when I was 13.

10. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Dec 6, 2001
    Crimson_Jedi_Knight:"Over all I've enjoyed the Series. I especially liked what happened to Borsk in Star by Star."

Ehh, I guess SbS spoiler ahead for anyone who's waiting for the book to come out in paperback to read it (I'll save my opinion and just say you've been warned);

My question for you is did you like the whole noble sacrifice bit or the fact that Borsk finally got axed? :D

Amithyst_Blade: I couldn't have said it better myself :). Besides, as far as I can tell with the whole Jagged/Jaina thing is that she thinks he's really hot. Umm, that's not really a solid foundation for any kind of lasting relationship (IMO).

Let's remember that once we start discussing DJ to put a warning in our posts about DJ spoilers, please [face_plain](I'll get the book soon but until then...)

11. Farmboy

Farmboy Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2002
    I like the NJO because it's exciting. Maybe I'm gulliable, but Del Rey's "make them worry about the main characters" scheme is working on me :p.

Also, the Yuuzhan Vong are cool baddies, and the character developements are very interesting. It's also nice to see some characters we haven't seen much of lately, like Ta'a Chume, Thraken Sal Solo, Tahiri, Ikrit, etc.

The NJO adds not just to itsself, but to the big Star Wars storyframe.

12. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Dec 6, 2001
    I think perhaps one of the most surprising aspects of the NJO is the fact that instead of the Vong just being the "villians of the week", they're actually some really tenatious bad guys. I know that a lot of the pre-NJO books dealt with the Empire most of the time, but most of the cool Imperial villians only appear in maybe a couple of books (i.e. Thrawn, Isard, ummm can't think of any others right now).

I also have to agree that putting the characters in real danger adds much needed drama. How many other people were screaming "NOOOO!" when Corran Horn drifted off into "sleep" (in Ruin? I think) and started speed reading to be relieved to find that he was actually okay? (Seriously, I want to know)

BTW, Farmboy, thanks for posting! :) I thought I'd killed the thread (again)! :( :_|

13. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Dec 6, 2001
    A-HEM. I know there are other people out there with some opinion on the subject. Up, I say, UP!

BTW, as long as you're civil and have a logical arguement, you don't have to be a fan of the NJO to post, but it would help :D.

14. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    What did you guys think about the new character developements in the NJO?

I liked Jacen's dillema in BP... I feel it will become important later on. I think he will be one of the main heros in the NJO.

Jaina's going to the dark side was OK, but I don't think it was used to its full potential. She might have done something really dark. That would have made things interesting.

I am tired of people who say Anakin's death negated Chewie's sacrifice. If Chewie hadn't sacrificed himself, he would've died anyway, along with Han and Anakin. Han wouldn't have been alive to stop Elan. Mara wouldn't have gotten Vergere's tears, and might have died (if she hadn't already died on Dantooine). Ben certainly would have died. The entire Jedi academy would have been shaped and Talon Karrde might be dead. The voxyn would've wiped out the Jedi.

Basically, I like all the developements, but Jaina's might have been done better.

I can't wait for Rebel Dream to get out!

15. Farmboy

Farmboy Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2002
    Does anyone know when the next book comes out?

16. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Hi, L_J_C & others ;)

Just showing my support in here!
    How many other people were screaming "NOOOO!" when Corran Horn drifted off into "sleep" (in Ruin? I think) and started speed reading to be relieved to find that he was actually okay?
    Can't say I did. But of course I'm probably not the best person to ask this question to.
    What did you guys think about the new character developements in the NJO?
    I'm biased ;)
    Does anyone know when the next book comes out?
    Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream is slated to release March. I'm assuming towards the end of March. TFN has a book release schedule here

17. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    According to amazon.com, Rebel Dream is supposed to come out on March 26th.

18. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Dec 6, 2001
    Hello, -Vergere- and JediJSolo! It's always nice to see some familiar faces :D ;).

-Vergere-: "Can't say I did. But of course I'm probably not the best person to ask this question to."

<shrugs>

I was just curious. I'm actually rather quite fond of Corran for some reason :D. I guess I'll ask another question then:

I know that a lot of people thought Anakin was once of the most interesting EU characters, but I thought he was just acting like he was "Super-Jedi" which wasn't that interesting to me (oh I hope no super-obessive Anakin fans read this :D ). Did anyone else find Anakin's character...rather annoying? He and Tahiri as a couple were cute, but I didn't have much interest in him as a seperate character.

Well, let's see if any Anakin fans come in to flay me alive...

19. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    [WARNING: HEAVY ANAKIN RANT FOLLOWS]

You know L_J_C, for some reason, I could never connect with Anakin Solo's character. Even through the EoV books, I'm trying extremely hard to look for something in Anakin's character which interests me or which I could relate to. I just never found it.

I really wanted to like his character or discover something there which I could connect with, because like many others, I believed the EoV duology really set the stage for his ascension as the hero of the NJO.

L_J_C, I didn't even mind Anakin's super-Jedi status back there. Yes he was perfect and fought and killed more YV than any other Jedi, but that didn't bother me at all.

When it comes down to it, I suppose Anakin's reduced view of the Force really disrupted any connection I could possibly make with his character. In a Star Wars galaxy where we find the Force ubiquitous to all life, Anakin never really accepts the Force as a sentient & omnipotent entity in a plane above all Jedi. Anakin views the Force simply as a means to an end. But if we as Star Wars fans are to buy into this Star Wars myth of a bloodline strong in the Force, the Force has to transcend such means.

In Rebirth, Corran actually reminds Anakin that the Force is not a tool. In response, Anakin shrugs off an, "I know."

I suppose this is the aspect which most turned me off on Anakin's character.

[/END OF ANAKIN RANT]

20. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Did I find Anakin annoying? No.

Did I think he was the most interesting character in the NJO? No. I thought his character was rather straightforward. ?Attack the Vong, and don?t go to the Dark Side while doing it? seemed to be his philosophy. And it worked for him. He killed more Vong than any other Jedi, and he never came close to the Dark Side to do it. However, I didn?t find that to be as interesting as Jacen?s struggle to find his place in the Force. And I don?t think Anakin?s philosophy would have saved the galaxy, had he not died.

However, I enjoyed reading about him in Conquest and Rebirth. I had gotten used to reading about characters that were very straightforward from the Bantam books. I even learned to enjoy it. So reading about Anakin wasn?t disappointing to me, as much as it was going back to the way things were in the Bantam books (which weren?t all bad ;) ).

21. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Dec 6, 2001
    JediJSolo: "So reading about Anakin wasn?t disappointing to me, as much as it was going back to the way things were in the Bantam books (which weren?t all bad)."

I liked a lot of the Bantam books (with a few notable exceptions...*cough cough, Bounty Hunter Wars, cough cough*). I even read the JJK series, which are actually rather entertaining for so-called "children's books". I guess I'm just biased for Jacen since I was (am) a fan of the YJK series more so than the JJK series. :)

So how many more months (gasp) until Traitor comes out? :D

22. Alderaan_

Aug 14, 2001
    It was the same way with me. When I began the NJO, I didn't even know who Kyp, Corran, Skidder, Terrik, Gavin Darklighter, and a bunch of others were. I had wondered where all the YJ- and JJK characters were.

23. Shadow1

Shadow1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002
    I for one had a hard time figuring out why they killed off anakin in SBS. He was one character that was really growing on me and i think he could have been used better.

Any way that was my only disapointing moment out of the 10 books so far and i count the days 'till every new release (ive even given up on waiting for the paperpbacks and just go straight for the hardcovers).

If any of you are fans of X-wing:Alliance then check out the Vector Prime senario they are developing at: http://njoproject.skywalkeronline.net/ns/d_vectorprime.shtml

24. C-3PX

C-3PX Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    This was the farthest down postable thread!

25. JediMasterBigHungry

JediMasterBigHungry Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2001
    I actually liked the NJO at first. But by the third book it got really bad so I stopped buying them when they came out. So I went to the library and borrowed them just so I could read them and not have to pay for them. It got really bad. I would rather watch grass grow than read another NJO book. I mean it was not like Star Wars. The NJO was really bad until Star by Star came put then it gave hope to the rest of the NJO. So I started buying the books again. Dark Apprentice was a real disappointment. Then came Rebel Dream and Rebel Stand. They were really good they actually reaffirmed my faith that the NJO would get better. I am holding to my faith that the next book would continue to affirm my faith in the Star Wars Universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.