main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blazer-Smith, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I had no idea that's how MSW was coming up with stuff. I thought he was being told specific things off sources, no? If people were just coming up with theories based on concept art alone, then that is an incredibly risky move. A lot of concept art done for films is just nothing but the artist's brainstorms in visual form.

Myself656 and Darth Haggai like this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    With all respect, I think that's a bit of projection... when you say 'general public' I think you actually mean 'you'. As much as I'd like to see Luke Skywalker, and as much as I'll be personally disappointed not to see Luke and Han together again, as long as the general public are entertained by the film they won't care if Luke is in it or not. If the film disappoints, then that's when the headlines will start about 'JJ should have had more Luke Skywalker' etc. etc. I mean, I have serious worries about the film, but I'm pragmatic enough to acknowledge that if it's entertaining, then most people won't care about Han or Luke's screen time.

3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

If the film just ends with Rey giving Luke the lightsaber and there is no dialogue , we might not find out about what happened to Luke until episode viii

starocean90 likes this.
  4. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Lol If you are going to advertise we are going back to the OT, and we are bringing back the Original Cast then I dont think its weird that most moviegoers would go in with the assumption that they are going to get more then a post credit scene of Luke Skywalker. Especially if they open the movie with Luke's Lightsaber falling from the sky and sparking the quest.

nalkwan, Myself656 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anything new since yesterday or is all silent?

6. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002

They haven't really advertised that though. The involvement of the original cast was not something they revealed with much fanfare, it was alongside the rest of the cast.

The first teaser trailer doesn't feature any of the OT characters.

my kind of scum likes this.
  7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I really liked your possible plot outline and thought it fit things nicely with what we know or think we know. But with all due respect, I disagree wtih your assessment of quality vs quantity. Luke closing out the film is fine. But I truly feel that if they were to do that, then having either a short spliced segment where they don't necessarily show his face sometime during the film would make that closing scene much better and worthwhile. Also, in that closing scene, if they could make it longer and have some sort of verbal greeting from Luke, it would be a tad more celebratory and meaningful than having him just stand there. If Luke was held captive, in self imposed exile, guarding something, or otherwise forced to be there and Rey just simply walked up some stairs to greet him, a better explanation would be nice. We've waited the entire movie to see him and have to wait another 2-3 years to find out why this is all we got, why he was there, and to hear him speak.

The artistic value of giving the award for the plot as seeing Luke does have some cinematic value. However, they can make it a bit longer I think. They have time actually to improve this based on the apparent fan reaction that will certainly ensue when the scene description hits the internet tomorrow and all next week. JJ and Disney may actually respond and may work their magic to lessen the apparent trauma this will cause fans.

I disagree with you fully. This may be a great movie and I am sure it will be by its own virtue. However, that will still not take away the blow to fans who want to see the Big3 as they've been hyped for this film. Going forward, I am positive that bringing the Big3 together as advertised from day 1 will be one of the things Disney will use to really pump the movie up. It's hard to pump up the new people that nobody knows. And they've already been getting the nostalgia aspect out there with the Falcon, stormtroopers, Ti-Fighters, X-wings, and lightsabers. Now people who follow this film are hungry to see their heroes grace the big screen once again in all of their glory. It's been teased over and over again with the teaser, interviews, and Hamill in his huge fluffy beard. People are ready to see them again. Not having Luke AND the media buzz about not having Luke will make people feel like the carpet has been pulled out from under them. So for THIS movie, just having something entertaining is not enough to satisfy people who want very specific things like seeing what has been and will undoubtedly continue to be advertised. And NOW Disney and JJ have their hands tied if this (and it will next week) infest the internet waves. They can deny it the way Abrams denied Khan. They can admit it and then change the way they market the movie. They can pump it up that Luke will be in the next one, not something they want to do 10 months before this one comes out. Or (likely) they can just let it go as is and hope that it fizzles out just as Lucas' comments about his stories did.

nightangel likes this.
  8. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    But this will be the first film in which a fully trained Jedi won't do anything. And, Luke couldn't do anything with the force until Ben started to teach him, so it's odd if Finn and Rey can use the force with no training at all. Luke should be that Jedi who faces Kylo Ren in this film, just as Ben, not Luke, faced Vader in ANH.

nalkwan likes this.
  9. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Your not going to get parallels and "rhymes" for every single thing that happens in a star wars movie. Especially since Lucas isn't making this anymore.

Which I think should make you happy: That means Luke is dead if they kept with tradition. At least you get another film to have Luke.

10. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I think this is a perfectly valid concern. But my best guess is that it will be made very clear why Luke is missing much earlier on in the film (perhaps even at the beginning). By the time Rey walks up the hill/ into the hut/ whatever, that will no longer be a mystery. So such an explanation at the end of the film won't be necessary. At that point, we will know exactly why Luke is there, and exactly why Rey is going to see him. In that context, it could be very elegant storytelling to simply have Rey hand him his lightsaber. The visual and the moment sells it without dialogue. All we need to know at that point, without the filmmaker reinforcing the point, is: Rey is the new Jedi, and Luke is going to train her. Awesome. Black screen.

However, I would be open to a very short scene of dialogue. My favorite suggestion thus far is:

Luke: Rey?
    Rey: Father.

:)

P.S. And perhaps they needed three days to shoot because Hamill kept forgetting his line?

11. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012

I honestly never got that personally. It might have been because Luke had no idea what the force was and no real reason to be put in a situation where he had to try to save himself before the movie. After all, the Force is not a formal spellcasting system. It does not require u to chant Pseudo Latin, Draw Symbols, make symbols, etc. So it seems to me people would be able to tap into it subconsciously in live or death situations.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012

its the first trailer. They are dragging at least two of the Big 3 to Celebration. I am sure they will have them at Disney Expo. And they always talk about going back to the OT. Not to mention I am sure the opening crawl is going to say its been 20 years since the Battle of Endor and in that time frame your going to expect the Big 3 to still be alive unless otherwise noted.

Honestly, Luke disappearing reminds me of Avatar: The Last Airebender (not the movie). Powerful dude who could help randomly disappears, Aang had an excuse so lets hope Luke has a good one.

13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Ha! Hope that was a joke! ;)

As far as the reason for Luke's exile ,if it is made clear and there is no longer a reason, then I'd hope Luke would be involved with that. He had long been rumored to have exceptional powers to move mountains and do crazy stuff that he felt would put his friends and family in danger. This, too, seems to be null and void with this new revelation. I say seems because it could still be true but, of course, we won't see it. Personally, I still like the idea that Rey is Han's daughter. But I suppose if she's Luke's daughter, they can cast his wife who was inside at the time of the last scene. This plays out MUCH more like a part 1 of a 2 part opening to a trilogy they way they split HP, HG, and Twilight movies.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  14. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    They didn't split the opening books for those series. They split the last one. Except the Hobbit which they split 3 times.

15. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    This is why I keep swaying back and forth from imprisonment to self-imposed exile. The latter creates a number of questions about Luke's moral judgment that will not be comfortable for Luke fans, and perhaps, for the audience. He will be perceived as selfish and aloof, and heartless. If he's imprisoned, that's not an issue at all.

This raises the question: Are we getting helpless Luke or morally complicated Luke?

I admit to being more comfortable with the former.

16. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Now I found the inspiration for BB-8 and Luke marooned on a planet/island for 15 years. I guess soon we will have a movie called 'cast away by the force' starring Tom Hanks. It will be about Luke and his years on this island with BB-8. Here are already pictures: [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    That's still not a certainty. And I'm not getting him in this one, so if he dies in episode Viii, it's just about like having him die in episode VII, since he has no role at all in seven. Also, there don't seem to be any rhymes anymore, as everything seems to have changed. Frankly, I find it disappointing that so many people seem to think it's fine to have no Luke in seven, but that it makes sense to have Han in it instead, when Luke is the only one who could train the new characters. Since Luke won't be training them in tfa, he could very well be killed off between films, and they can just say that he already trained Rey or Finn or both offscreen. This film was supposed to be the last hurrah for the OT characters. I guess that lightsaber exchange was Luke' "last hurrah" :(

18. Sheev

Sheev Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 23, 2014
    Meanwhile at Bad Robot:
    [​IMG]

19. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    'Rumour Depository Island'!
    A never ending fly-on-the-palm tree documentary following shipwrecked Star Wars forum members.

Episode 20: The hungry survivors search the Island, seeking a cave rumoured to be filled with chocolates. A coconut rumored to contain Max von Sydow's character arc is swiftly cracked open.

20. -LordSkywalker-

-LordSkywalker- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Remeber the Darth Luke fiasco. He was adamant then that it was 100%. Berating people that we hadnt seen everthing he had seen. This is an exact replay of that lunacy.

21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Let me ask a question: do you think you can find it in yourself to like new characters?Pretend Luke wasn't going to be in this movie(or any of the original cast): Do you have the ability to like new characters? Do you think if the new characters "earn" it, could you like the new characters more than Luke(hypothetically)?

22. Darth Haggai

Darth Haggai Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 7, 2014
    We have no idea if any of this stuff is true guys! For the love if God. If they are they are right. Then the movie is Finn, Rey, and Pie running around. And then Han and chewie with them. What about Gleason's character? Serkis? Fisher? Lupita? Christie? MVS? We've heard next to no spoilers on them, but people think they know the plot of the movie? And Luke? Hell be in it for more than one scene. Bank on it...

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  23. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
  24. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Maybe it's for the best Bossk didn't get the chance to confront Han.

25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Yeah that one was probably way off, but MSW has had some home runs, too. He was spot on about what was going to be in the teaser trailer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.