main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [The Nightmare Before Christmas] The Accidental Christmas Gift

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Seldes_Katne, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    The Accidental Christmas Gift

The doorbell screamed at 13 Macabre Lane, Halloweentown. When Jack Skellington answered, he found, to his surprise, a plump bearded man dressed in an enormous black coat, red trousers, and a black fur hat. “Santa Claus?”

“Happy New Year, Jack!” exclaimed Santa. “I know it’s out of season for both of us, but I have something to deliver to you.”

“Oh! By all means, please come in!” Jack swung the door open. “I must say, I like the new look!”

Santa settled into the chair Jack offered him. “I thought it would fit in better with the color palate here.” He politely declined the offer of a beverage (“Not sure my constitution can handle that.”), then reached into a coat pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. He offered it to Jack.

“It’s a ‘thank you’ letter,” Santa replied. Jack looked puzzled, so Santa added, “I receive thousands of request letters every year from children, telling me what they want for Christmas. And sometimes those children will write to me after Christmas, thanking me for the gifts I left them. You don’t have anyone thanking you for something you did during Halloween?”

“Well, people here in Halloweentown thank me, but it’s usually in person.” Jack blinked at the envelope in his hand. “I’ve never gotten a letter like this before.”

No surprise there. Most folks would probably be too scared to write, Santa thought drily. Then he nodded to the letter. “So this is your first! Congratulations!”

“But it has your name on it!”

“Yes, it does. However, I think it was really intended for you, whether the sender realized it or not.” Seeing Jack hesitating, he gestured at the envelope. “Go on, read it!”

Jack peered at the envelope. “Santa Claus, Eee-squire?”

“Ess-squire,” Santa corrected. “It’s an old-fashioned, polite way of addressing a letter to a man.”

Nodding, Jack opened the envelope and pulled the letter out. He unfolded it. “’Dear Mr. Claus,’” he read. “’I imagine most of the letters you receive come from children, so I hope you don’t mind one from an adult.

“’First of all, I hope you and everyone else at the North Pole are well and enjoying a well-deserved rest after the events of last Christmas’,” Jack continued.

“We are, by the way,” Santa remarked. “I gave everyone some extra time off. Mrs. Claus and I are heading to the Bahamas for two weeks once I’m done here.” He reached down to the pat the floating sheet that had appeared beside his chair. “Hello, Zero!” Although Santa’s passed through him, Zero barked and his pumpkin nose glowed.

“I’m glad to hear it,” Jack said. “Please give her my regards.” He continued reading. “’I just wanted to thank you for the lovely witch’s hat you left under my tree last night’.” He cocked his head at Santa. “You left someone a witch’s hat?”

“No,” Santa replied, grinning. “I suspect you did. And that I missed it when I went back and, ah, cleaned up afterwards. Keep reading.”

“’I love Halloween’,” Jack continued. “’ I love being able to dress up and hand out candy and see people in costumes. Halloween is a chance to try out the idea of being someone else for a while, to take on a new persona and see how well it fits. (It’s also an excuse to indulge in some chocolate, and what’s not to love about that?)

“’P.S. I also enjoy Christmas, so please don’t be offended by my ode to Halloween’!”

Santa and Jack sat in silence for a few minutes. “Obviously someone outside Halloweentown likes your work, Jack,” Santa said finally.

Jack shook his head. “But Halloween is about being frightening. It’s about scaring people!”

“For some people, trying out a new experience or a new aspect of their personality is scary. But isn’t Halloween supposed to be fun, too? Lots of people enjoy being scared, as long as they know it’s not real or permanent. Halloween celebrations seem to get bigger and more elaborate every year.” Santa settled a little in the chair and pointed to the envelope in Jack’s hand. “Take a second look. I don’t think you took everything out of that.”

Jack opened the envelope again and drew out a photo. It showed a smiling, middle-aged woman wearing a dark purple pointed hat; the point bent sideways slightly. A lavender band ran around the base of the hat, with a buckle shaped like a bat. The woman’s hair was a poof of grey and black, and she wore a pair of round spectacles.

“Well, she could certainly pass for a witch,” Jack remarked. He looked up at Santa. “Should I write back?”

“That’s up to you,” Santa replied. “Most people don’t expect that, though. They just want you to know they’re happy with the gift and appreciate your effort. Although,” he added thoughtfully, “you might want to pay a visit to her house next Halloween. See what she’s done with the rest of her costume. And maybe get some chocolate!”

“I don’t believe I’ve ever had chocolate,” Jack murmured.

“This is your chance, then. As the writer said, Halloween can be a time for trying something new,” Santa told him, nodding at the letter. “Well, my job here is done. Off to someplace warm and sunny for a while. Stay well, and see you next Halloween!”

Tay Neir, Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  2. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I read this the other day and it made me smile! Love the idea of the thank you letter, and Santa and Mrs. Claus taking a nice, warm vacation!

Yes! That's why Halloween is the best holiday! :D

So true! And Halloween (and writing/reading/creating - any form of storytelling and art, really) is a good way to try those things.

Nice work on this! =D=

Tay Neir, Kahara and Seldes_Katne like this.
  3. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Thank you for reading and commenting, Amidalachick. It's always great to meet another Halloween fan. :) Hope all of your Halloweens are the best kind of scary fun!

Tay Neir, Kahara and amidalachick like this.
  4. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Aww, this was so much fun! :) I too love the idea that the Clauses are off to somewhere tropical and sunny for their vacation. And the lil ghost puppy -- good doggo! :D Haven't seen the film (strange since I do love Halloween!), but that isn't at all a detriment to enjoying this.

Yeah, the drinks menu is probably not for the faint of heart -- you might get an actual Bloody Mary popping out of your glass. :p

All of this! :D

No chocolate in Halloweentown? Perish the thought! [face_laugh] And I really like that he got a thank-you letter, and with it maybe the realization that even non-supernatural people actually do find joy in the spooky-season too, and appreciate the work he does even if they don't know who he is exactly. [face_pumpkin]

Tay Neir and Seldes_Katne like this.