main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The NJO Critics Club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jades Fire, May 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hello, aleja2. Nice to meet you.

About 90% of the people I know, counting me, stopped reading the NJO. So to me, that sounds accurate. It did, after all, suck.

And Legacy's looking like it'll be even worse, proving there is no real bottom in this freefall known as the current EU.

2. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I even had the Marvel comic books.

Yeah, but everyone should have a set of the comic book stories...

I mean really, who wants to risk the wrath of Valance?

3. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Except for those of us who don't have much access to comic books.

And here's something that I did to make fun of LOTF Jacen:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39183494/

You might have to hit download to get the full thing.

4. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    I actually loved NJO but DN . . . um, bugged the heck out of me. So any whining by me in this thread will be about Dark Nest. Legacy of the Force is good so far.

Striker, I'd suggest reading Bloodlines if you think the EU is in freefall. It's actually excellent. Traviss may have something against aliens but she can tell one heck of a story. She is excellent with tension and everything falling apart. I didn't even mind the abundance of Mandos, she was that good.

Plus, it's in paperback, so that means eight bucks to spend. Not a lot of money compared to 26 dollars for the Betrayal hardcover.

5. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Except for those of us who don't have much access to comic books.

I mean the collected editions.

EXAMPLE

Dark Horse collected all the Marvel comics and published the entire run in 7 softcover volumes. Even if someone doesn't buy all 7, they could still get the edition with Jaxxon, or read abbout Lumiya's first appearance...

It's great for those who can't track down all of those individual comics!

6. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    You know Travis set up Jacen into becoming an cold blooded murdered, planning on murdering both Tenel Ka and Allana. We don't go for something like that, since Jacen/Tenel Ka is something we really like and we don't want it to end, and we were already turned off by Betrayal.

NP edit: Please be careful with spoilers!

7. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Hey, guys, if you're into fanfics, go look for Magehound on Beyond the Saga because his new anti-LOTF parody has arrived!

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Sorry, but no.

I was disappointd 21 straight times by the NJO and the first two DN books. That sets a precedent. Each one was bad, with special ones that sucked even worse.

Traitor.
    Star by Star
    Destiny's Way
    Vector Prime
    The Unseen Queen
    The Unifying force

I did not even finish DN, and from what I've heard of Betrayal and Bloodlines, I would loathe them even more if I read them.

SW is dead to me now. It should've ended at the end of the YJK, with a happy ending.

What the hell is wrong with a hapy ending in fiction?

Hell, what's wrong with it in real life?

Absolutely nothing.

Del Rey better get that fact, or they'll lose even more readers.

9. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    I agree wholeheartedly. I thought about things after Betrayal and decided to boycott Bloodlines. Turns out I made a good choice. Now I'm just thoroughly enjoying my canon, which some of you might refer to as fanon, but I call it canon and making fun of the stuff that I've heard about Bloodlines.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's okay. I consider Bloodlines and Betrayal to be rectifyhing the mistakes of post-Traitor NJO and onwards.

Since, y'know, I've been saying that for 3-4 years now... :p

11. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Major anti-DN rant here . . .

1. My first problem with this fic is the lack of Vong. There should be more aftereffects of the Yuuzhan Vong war. But it was like nothing had happened. The government was even back on Coruscant. I spent the first half of TJK basically scratching my head.

2. Jaina's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too smart to be suckered in like that. She can resist Raynar and Lomi. Neither of them are/were that strong. The Joiners should have resisted it completely, or at least take much longer to fall.

3. The end of J/J. :_| That made me want to scream. In fact, I threw The Unseen Queen down in disgust halfway through and didn't pick it back up again for about a month.

4. Corran's sudden regression into imbecility. Same with Kyp. Neither of them are that idiotic. More examples of questionable (at best) characterization by Troy Denning . . .

5. Crappy. Battles. Period.

6. Alema's fall makes no sense, is way too sudden, and seems to be for no reason. Also, if Luke knew about it why didn't he DO something? :confused: Still, it was satisfying to see her get chomped on at the end. (even if she got spat out . . .

7. The stretch to tie the PT to the NJO/post-NJO frails. It almost succeeds, but it reeks of desperation.

8. Why oh why did they make the YJK crew so pathetic? :_|

9. Killiks. Just the name . . . *shudders*

10. The stupid exile of Lowbacca, Tesar, and Tahiri. However, I don't blame Denning personally for this one, because it seemed forced. It was covered in the stench of DR/Lucasflim's orders.

I'll stop there.

12. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I found it really hard to believe all of the horrible things that I had read about Dark Nest because I loved Tatooine Ghost and, even though the NJO was barf, was able to enjoy Star by Star for what it was. Needless to say I was surprised when flipping through the first DN book. What happened?

13. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    I actually loved the end of J/J! Jaina belongs with Zekk!

14. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Please tell me you're kidding. o_O

Another complaint about DN: Chubba. Bloah. Enough said. :rolleyes:

Oh, and this was supposed to be a war. Then why did the whole trilogy feel like nothing was happening until the very end? o_O

Oh, and Squibs. Somebody reading Harry Potter much? o_O

I gotta stop before I drive myself crazy.

15. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    No, it's not a joke. I'm into NJO for the Yuuzhies, not the J/J. I'm a J/Z shipper.

16. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I know this might be back a few pages, but does anyone remember the total number of books that the NJO sold?

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I wanna say 4 million, but not 100% sure...

18. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Just wondered since I read that there are seventy million SW books in print when twenty is just the Thrawn Trilogy. Also read that the first BFC sold over 600,000 when the latter two each did about half a million.

19. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    I wholeheartedly agree. I've often thought all this myself.

20. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    LOTF is ruining J/Z for me. Bigtime.

21. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    How so? Is it the fear of J/Jness, the fear of Zekkicide, or both, or neither...please explain. :confused: I know I experience both of the above. [face_worried]

22. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Zekkicide and Jag coming back alive

23. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Gimme Zekkicide and Jag returning anyday. :)

24. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    But you see, I'm a die-hard YJK fan and Zekkicide is not an option for me.

25. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Ditto. And while I don't mind Jag per se, I just don't like him with Jaina.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.