main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The NJO planning thread; a massive round-robin; We don't need anymore authors, thanks!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by womp_rat208, Sep 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Hi gang.

What I'm hoping to do with this is create a very large story arc with a group of authors. I got the idea from Melyanna, who suggested people should start sharing original characters.

So, the plan is, to start after Rebirth, using Melyanna's story Of Pilots and Jedi as a spring board, and form our own version of the ending of the NJO. Each author would add their own story or stories, creating a story arc much the same way that the traditional EU is done.

So far, we have 7 authors: Melyanna, Rebecca191, DarthIshtar, padawan lunetta, Orion_Star, RebelMom, and myself. To join, please submit an idea for a plot or a short story synopsis. We want to avoid the total chaos that would result by just making it open to the public.

Many thanks go to Mel, who has helped a lot with this. She contacted the authors, and helped a lot with the general planning.

2. Orion_Star

Orion_Star Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    Wow. That was a fast edit job, Wompy. BTW, sorry I've been away. Great idea! Kudos to you and Mel! :D

3. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Wow, I've never seen my name in bold so many times.

Anyway, it might be good to mention that, along with the aforementioned OP+J, are the other two stories that go in my trilogy about the Solo kids, "Change of Heart" and "Clouded Memories". In addition, luney's story "Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten" fits in with "Clouded Memories". However, that story will be slightly AU since the Vong threat has ended before that one begins.

luney and I will also be writing a fic sometime in the near future dealing with the three original characters I've introduced in the Solo trilogy, Nadia, Cianna, and Julie. It will be about the new Jedi Academy, and will be introducing a few new characters as well.

Am I missing anything? Does anyone have comments on the above, or things to add?

4. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Orion, it's called AIM.

Oh, I forgot: I will begin work on the sequel to OP+J after I finish "Clouded Memories", and there will be a sequel to "Change of Heart" after that.

5. Orion_Star

Apr 10, 2001
    Good idea.

6. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Sounds good, Mel.

Orion, you want to "start" this thing? I mean, when Mel finishes Clouded Memories, you want to write the story that follows? Assuming you have time and want to...

7. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Mely, give me five minutes, and I bet I could find away to make Shadows fit in. ;)

8. Eldritch009

Eldritch009 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2001
    I'd love to participate. I have a story of my own but there's a problem....Mel is currently editting it. She would probably know better where to fit it than me. :)

(if you want to read what's been written so far, ask her version because that's the editted, ready for posting, version)

Part of the story takes place on the Chiss homeworld. After being stranded in the Unknown Regions at much the same way Luke Skywalker once was trapped by Thrawn (fighter goes out in mid-hyperspaceflight), Jag is picked up by the Chimaera under Pellaeon. He gives him the news of the ultimatum the Vong have given the NR: deliver the Jedi or die.

Jagged takes the news to the Chiss homeworld and plants the idea in his fathers head to form an alliance with the NR by offering refuge to the Jedi. His father misunderstands him and they get into an argument where Jag makes his father see the point. I think it's the political section of the story that might be interesting here.

Eld.

9. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Welcome aboard, Eldritch! That story sounds awesome. :)

10. Eldritch009

Apr 1, 2001
    Why thanks! :)

Ok...well, my idea was basically to take the 'political' part of my story, without the rest, and somehow work it in. I'd need a NR villain high up in the chain of command who would try to thwart the whole thing, preferrably someone from one of the other stories.

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I want in, but I need a few hours to think of a story, since I've never tried anything even vaguely EU except in Acts of Atonement Year 4 where I adapt the Zahn plotline to fit JediGaladriel's AU.

12. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Eldritch: Sounds good. The entire plot line is still very much in the planning stages.... that what this thread is for! :D

Ishy: You'll have more then a few hours.... this thing is still being planned. Don't know when the first story will get off the ground as of yet.... aren't even positive who's going to write it yet.

13. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Well, last night Orion asked me if we were going for stories about training, war, etc. I think that with the number of authors we have, we can have stories about lots of stuff. Orion, how would you feel about writing a piece about Rogue Squadron immediately after OP+J? That way you could start work on it immediately, since it wouldn't have much to do with Memories.

Okay, I'm off to class! I'll see you all later!
    Mel

14. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Count me in, wompy. I'm currently working on a Ganner story that takes place just before and during Balance Point, so if that counts, it'll be my first entry.

15. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Hiya Sticks! Welcome to the group. jainasolo2001 is also in. So that brings the author total up to ten, which is what we were going to cut it off at.

Hmm, we were going to start after Rebirth, Sticks... But I guess this will be like the EU in that stories can get stuck in anywhere. ;)

Oh, I just remembered I've got a short story that could go in towards the end of this arc.... but it's only a 3-page-long songfic, and it would also mean the death of a popular character.

16. RogueMonCalamari

RogueMonCalamari Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2001
    hey, i want to join. i have a NJO AU fic that ties in with Mel's solo kids trilogy that i started recently which i can contribute if it works with the timeline.

it's about Jaina, Jag, Gavin Darklighter, Ganner and a few others mostly.

Check my profile for a link to it.

TITLE: X-WING: DEPTHS OF DARKNESS

17. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    wompy, dear, we are NOT killing Corran. You can make it into a dream sequence if you like, but we are NOT killing Corran.

Is that clear?

:D

18. Eldritch009

Apr 1, 2001
    LOL!

Ok...I guess this is a legitimate question then...are there any characters that should live on? We need to set SOME boundaries, right?

(This is surreal...imagine the actual writers sitting at a table discussing the fate of fictional characters)

So...which characters from the known SW saga (and those some of you created) are allowed to be "removed" from the EU/AU and who is absolutely forbidden? And maybe this should be discussed through email, because we don't want to give any plot away, right? Maybe a messageboard? I can put one up on my site, if need be...guarded with password and all.

19. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
  20. Orion_Star

Apr 10, 2001
    Hi guys!

Wompy: Yeah, I can "start" this thing once Mel finishes "Clouded Memories".

Mel: Yeah, It can be a Rogue Squadron one. I'll have a few points that I may need to iron out with all of you before I get cracking on it, but I probably do it.

Okay, in general, is our focus gonna be on Jedi/Vong, or Whatever's-left-of-the NR/Vong, or Whatever's-left-of-the-galaxy/Vong? Like, would the focus character of every story, generally speaking, be a Jedi or just a main character, or will we bring the Imps into this?

Just some prelininary questions. I've already got a decent idea for how to go about writing the "kickoff" story. I'll introduce some originals and bring back some old favorites. :D

Let me know what you all think and l'll see what I can do about giving Darth Writer's Block a good ole backhand with a big lightsaber.

Later!

21. Eldritch009

Apr 1, 2001
    Ehm...most...no, probably ALL of you have posted stories before. I haven't. I'm currently in the process of writing one, which takes place right after RUIN.

I can imagine some of you would like to know the style I write in. If that's the case, give me an email or a private message with your email and I will send you the story, as far as it is, so you can get the general idea of my writing. Comments or critisism is always welcome and if any you can use parts of it for this effort, all for the better. Just let me know. :)

22. RogueMonCalamari

RogueMonCalamari Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2001
    am i in? not? ;)
    Yes, please do not kill corran.

23. Eldritch009

Apr 1, 2001
    Hmm....same here. Am I in. Am I not. We must be insecure. :).

Corran...some books I like him, some I don't. It's a hate/like kinda thing. No, I won't say love...that would be pushing it. I like him, sometimes. Other times.. :)

24. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Eldritch, I like the idea of having a message board that only we can get to for discussing plot details. Does anyone else think it's a good idea?

25. Eldritch009

Apr 1, 2001
    You will be taken to a board I've set up by clicking here. Nothing fancy at the moment, I'm afraid but that'll come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.