main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards & Contests The Non Star Wars Fanfiction - Role Playing Forum Writing Challenge - VOTE TIME

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by The_Writing_Olympics, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Writing_Olympics

The_Writing_Olympics FF-RPF Contest Sock VIP - Game Host

May 9, 2008
    ***The Non Star Wars Fanfiction - Role Playing Forum Writing Challenge***

[image=http://www.gildedquill.net/Graphics/Gilded_Quill.gif]

Greetings writers from around the boards! It is the distinct pleasure of the Roleplaying and Fanfiction Moderating Teams to offer to our communities, and the Jedi Council Forums, the Non Star Wars Trans-forum Writing Challenge. It is our profound hope that this friendly competition increases the dialog between writers here, bringing our mutual hobbies closer together and inspiring a feeling of excellence among us.

Fanficcers and RPers alike, step right up and show us your talents!

Act I: The Challenge

The challenge will take the form of a collaborative vignette challenge (RPF: equivalent to a combine post). Contestants will be assigned a random partner from the other forum (that is, forming RPF-FF pairs), and together they will write a story of 2000-8000 words. Teams may do it in any way they choose (round-robin, co-writing, etc) but ideally each member of a team should contribute equally.

The prompt will be given out after signups are complete. Any fandoms permitted in the NSWFF are allowed, which means no original fiction - sorry! Star Wars crossovers are also not allowed, as this is a non-Star Wars competition.

There will be one week alloted for sign-ups, four weeks for writing the entry, and two weeks for the JC to vote on the winner.

Act II: The Participants

Anyone interested may participate, with one unfortunate caveat: by the nature of this contest the participants from FF and RPF must be of an equal number. Thus if there are more participants from one forum than another, the corresponding last few signups will not be able to participate. We will do our best to get even numbers to ensure that nobody misses out, but we can't guarantee anything, so sign up early!

You do not actually need to be a RPF or FF regular to participate. Simply pick a side, sign up, and you're in. :D

Signups will last until 28 January 2010. At the end of the signup week, we will randomise the signup lists and inform the participants of their partners.

Act III: The Submission

The teams will have four weeks to write their entries - until 25 February 2010. At the end of the writing period, all teams are to PM their entries to the competition sock, The_Writing_Olympics, to allow for their writings to be randomized and anonymous to achieve complete impartiality. (Please have only 1 person submit for each team, or it'll be confusing.) Their entries will then be posted in the neutral, 3rd party "Census and Games" board.

Act IV: The Judgment

The winner will be decided by a popular vote to the competition sock, The_Writing_Olympics. Everyone (RPFers, FFers, non-affliated JCers) are all allowed to vote, though sock checking will be strictly enforced. Users will PM to us their top three candidates - the one awarded first will get 3 points, the one awarded second will get 2, and the one awarded third will get one. The voting period will last two weeks, until 11 March 2010.

At the end of the voting period, the contestant with the highest amount of points wins!

ACT V: The Reward

Both members of the winning team will get colours for 1 week. If there are many participants, there may also be rewards for 2nd and maybe 3rd places. The winners will also receive the title of "Best Writers in the JC" and The Golden Quill Award!. The title and award will last until the next competition between the boards, a minimum of three months. Further rewards to the writers themselves will be granted by their respective mods. Ticker-tape parades, holidays, it's all possible here.

ACT VI: The Epilogue

And that's it, good users! Hopefully this explains all you need to know about the contest. Feel free to PM any of the Mods associated with this if you have any questions. And we hope you'll consider writing for thi

2. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    5. Trimaj

just so you don't have to pester me xani.:p

3. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    4. Spycoder9
    5. Trimaj

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, hey, wow, signup order is irrelevant since the pairings are random, and sign-ups must begin from 1? I'd better fix the list.

1. Trimaj
    2. Spycoder9
    3. darthramza

5. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    1. Trimaj
    2. Spycoder9
    3. darthramza
    4. Winged_Jedi

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    1. Trimaj
    2. Spycoder9
    3. darthramza
    4. Winged_Jedi
    5. Sinrebirth

7. bad_feeling_haver

bad_feeling_haver Jedi Master star 1

Oct 5, 2008
    1. Trimaj
    2. Spycoder9
    3. darthramza
    4. Winged_Jedi
    5. Sinrebirth
    6. bad_feeling_haver

8. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    1. Trimaj
    2. Spycoder9
    3. darthramza
    4. Winged_Jedi
    5. Sinrebirth
    6. bad_feeling_haver
    7. Penguinator-176

9. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    1. Trimaj
    2. Spycoder9
    3. darthramza
    4. Winged_Jedi
    5. Sinrebirth
    6. bad_feeling_haver
    7. Chukles38

10. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    eh might as well

1. Trimaj
    2. Spycoder9
    3. darthramza
    4. Winged_Jedi
    5. Sinrebirth
    6. bad_feeling_haver
    7. Penguinator-176
    8. Chukles38
    9. Kahn_Iceay

11. bmwgurl17

bmwgurl17 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2005
    1. Trimaj
    2. Spycoder9
    3. darthramza
    4. Winged_Jedi
    5. Sinrebirth
    6. bad_feeling_haver
    7. Penguinator-176
    8. Chukles38
    9. Kahn_Iceay
    10. Bmwgurl17

12. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Just a quick note - signups are nearly over, and if we get 1 more person to sign up we'll have completely even teams ... :D [face_batting]

13. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    I may have time Issues coming up with a new job, soooo, I could step out, and you could move LW over here and it'd be even :p

14. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    sorry for the DP but yeah I got a call back from the job and I'm going in for a second interview on Wednesday so its looking like I'll have to drop out cause I won't have much in the way of free time if I get the job.

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    As you guys have noticed, signups are closed. We'll announce teams asap.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, with Kahn dropping out, everyone is playing. Your teammate's name is being PMed to you.

Get crackin'!

17. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    What's the prompt?

18. The_Writing_Olympics

May 9, 2008
    The prompt is "Write about an excursion to a market/trading establishment of your choice".

That is, a trip to a mall.

Enjoy, people. :D

19. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    so we don't get a list of teams i take it? be interesting to see that, but *shrugs*

definitely better than the last prompt i had to deal with.:p @ sinre

20. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Correct! We're trying to minimise friend-voting-ism as much as we can with these things. You'll see who wrote what, and with whom, at the end of the challenge. ;)

21. bad_feeling_haver

bad_feeling_haver Jedi Master star 1

Oct 5, 2008
    Is the due date going to be changed? Because the announcement of partners was delayed by about four days I think. ...I'm not terribly concerned about it, but I was wondering and I'd like to know. I'm trying to work out a timetable for completion. Thanks in advance.

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I know! It's a horrible prompt for someone who writes like I do. [face_laugh]

23. The_Writing_Olympics

May 9, 2008
    Sure. Since the pairs were announced on 1 Feb, we'll push the deadline to 1 March so you guys still get a full 4 weeks to write.

How's everyone doing so far? :D

24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Don't forget, stories are due Monday! How's everyone doing?

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Thank the Force. I need those extra days. PARTNER! PM ME!!!!!! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.