main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Obi-Wan and Siri Archive and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Obi-Wan_Siri_Index, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, I think the actor has a *huge* influence on our perceptions, but it's also funny how often that makes us see the character this totally opposite of the actor's perceived character.

I mean, Ewan is known for showing off his lightsaber whenever possible and Obi-Wan for using his lightsaber only as required. Ewan appears to be a bit over-the-top extroverted and Obi-Wan reserved. I'm not sure I'd want to hang out with Ewan, but maybe Obi-Wan.

I'm not sure where this "possible daddy" vibe comes from, actually. Sure, there's that melt-worthy scene in RoTS where he's holding baby Luke (sniff sniff) and that gentle concern in AoTC ("dreams of your mother?")...maybe I'll have to lay the blame for that on fanfiction.

Just like the very idea of a "good man" (Anakin) - sorry, not from the movies. Didn't SEE it, didn't FEEL it. Don't DENY it was meant, but it wasn't apparent.

2. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    If u ask me, Obi-Wan was more than capable of bringing out Siri's softer, tender and very guarded hidden side. IF the rules had been changed and it was up to Obi-Wan to have kids running about, there's no doubt in my mind that he would have had at least one with Siri (a little boy that they would name Ben :p;))

As far as the actor maybe influencing the character, i would say tha's very much possible for me in the case of Obi-Wan now, even though his personality is quite oppossite from Obi. I do think they both have this charm about them that just makes people gravitate toward them. Ewan in a more obvious manner and Obi in a much more reserved way.

After watching Ewan ride around the world in his two motorcycle trips, i must say he won me over forever. He's humble, funny, charming and very sweet, which are qualities i can also see in Obi-Wan. So yeah, to me George got it 110% right and i just cant see anyone else playing the part of the charming (although he doesnt realize it), reserved, sarcastic jedi master we all love so much.

In particular, Ewan's charity work just makes my heart melt, and i can easily see Obi-Wan's compassionate side in him. Is this due to the character or his own attributes? difficult to answer.

Ok i think i better stop myself now [face_blush], but i just cant help getting carried away when i speak about Obi and Ewan.

3. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Hi Veloz, long time no chat.

I guess I'll have to see that trip (I actually have it, just haven't watched it). I've really only seen Ewan on YouTube clips on a few shows, and he's always been so hyper in them.

I agree with the charm, and the degree to which it's seen in the character vs the actor.

I think GL had it right when he confused the two, "Hayden and Obi-Wan, uh, Ewan...."

I still see the Padawan Kenobi we really didn't get to see in TPM in the elephant scene in Moulin Rouge for some reason. The hair color, hair style, natty dressing, shy and yet impudent smile with the twinkling eyes...sigh. [face_love]

4. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Veloz Your post was like I wrote it. I agree with everything you said. Ewan very much gave us a vision of Obi-Wan I don't think anyone else could have. I also see similarities between Obi and Ewan...

I think his Obi would love children and be a great father. Ewan loves children and loves to talk to them. Did you read the Long Way Round book as well as see the show? The book shows out more about him and their trip..about the little girl he ended up adopting...she was going to die where she was, they didn't have the funds to get her proper treatment. He wouldn't leave the orphanage till he did something about it. With his own money he provided her with the care she needed, then later adopted her. That won my heart.

Then his talk in the book about how much he missed his wife and children just charmed me. In interviews he often mentions his girls...[face_love]. To me, he's a totally adorable, (with totally amazing eyes!) wonderful actor who loves his wife and children and doesn't have an ego shoved up his rear... in many ways Obi is like that also.

Also, one other think the book brought out that wasn't shown that much in the show was when they were surprising Charlie and Ewan with their wives. I call this Ewan's Obi moment. Ewan had no idea they had secretly brought their wives, but just before the wives were brought out..he felt her near. He looked around, expecting to see her, and said She's here, isn't she?" They tried to himhaw, but he knew she was there. When he saw her, he literally leaped over chairs, etc. to get to her. That was so sweet!!...

I haven't seen Long Way Down yet, (but read the book), but I want to. I love seeing Ewan and Eve together..they are so cute together (much like Obi and Siri)..[face_love]

5. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Hey, Val! You're here too!

I don't rememeber an elephant show in Moulin Rouge...I could be wrong, but wasn't there an elephant scene in Big Fish? Ewan was so adorable in that movie also, and I can easily see Obi in many of the scenes there..[face_love]

I just saw him in Angels and Demons...won't give anything away, but Ewan in it...[face_love]

6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Hi Deb,

During this wonderful duet where they're on top of the elephant singing love songs. She is startled by his suddenly showing up.

7. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    oh, yeah, you're right. I forgot about that..

8. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I wish someone who knew photoshopping could take a photo from that scene, add in a braid & Jedi tunics - and post the luscious result.

9. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Someone should be able to do that (and I too would love to see it..) as aften as people married scenes from SW together with scenes from The Island to create Siriwan videos..[face_love]

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    SOME people are just so talented...sigh.

And some are just darn delectable (Obi-Wan).

11. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    You're telling me, Val...so much eye candy...as well as mind's eye candy..[face_mischief]

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, who know, watching Sir Alec in ANH, we'd be drooling over the character - um, actor - um, both?

I liked Obi-Wan okay up to RoTS - but after that, sorry Luke, Obi-Wan became the man. And Jedi.

13. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    yeah, who knew? Obi-Wan was such an eccentric old hermit till Ewan came along....he changed everything (as well as Jude's characterization of Obi) She may have left out a lot of emotion and detail, but it was her portrayal of Obi-Wan in the JA books that got my attention first.

14. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    I know what you mean about the differences between the character and the person, Obi-Wan is someone I would want to fall in love with, Ewan is someone I would absolutely want to hang out with! You have to watch Long Way Round, it is one of the best shows, really, and it also shows what a great, loyal friend Ewan is, along with all the other things Veloz and obimom mentioned. Ewan is defintely extroverted, he's an actor! :D But I think he was a bit wilder in his youth, he's definitely matured from some of those hyper, foot-in-mouth, interviews he did when he was younger. He seems like such an easy going, down to earth, fun person.

I have not watched all of Long Way Down, I missed the last ep somehow, I hope they start re-running those, too. But I did read somewhere, from someone that was at the event when they got to South Africa, that Ewan was very rude and grumpy... bad day, I guess [face_plain]

When he's holding Luke... so good... it looks so natural and so tender and loving, and really that has to come from the fact that Ewan has much expereince with babies and children, of course he could've chosen to act uncomfortable, but I think it just comes naturally; although I think it would've been a lot harder for an actor that didn't have experience with babies to act comfortable, so... I think Obi-Wan must've spent a few afternoons visiting the creche, and I guess that's just something that is a part of who he is.

And the whole beginning part of AOTC was what I was thinking of, he does seem comfortable in his role of guiding Anakin, even if it turned out the method wasn't right.

I agree, Anakin just wasn't there yet, he seemed very immature in many ways, including everything about the way he handled things. From what I've seen, I don't think he really grew up until he was alone with himself in that suit and finally had to face real consequences for what he had done.

I agree, Obi-Wan would be the man for the job, I think he would be one of those people that was sure. I think Siri would still have an emotional up and down journey with it tho, and that would be interesting to explore.

My new absolute favorite movie. He just looks so darn good, especially at the end when he has his shirt unbuttoned a bit. [face_love][face_love] I can't get over it! I might faint one of these days. I guess I won't give anything away either, but I have a theory about the end, and I'm sticking to it!!!!

15. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    serendipityaey I know what you mean, I was stunned at the end. I would love to know what your theory is (maybe it's like mine?), PM me if you want to with what you think.

And oh,yes, I agree...he looked very good...

16. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    I forgot to mention, in Long Way Round, Ewan loves quoting Obi-Wan, and it's so cute, worth it just for that :)

17. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Serendipityaey Yes it is...I remember that. These shows are being shown on Current TV, with Ewan himself doing the little bridge between the show and commercial: "You are watching Long Way Round on Current tv."

And one other thing the book had that was not on the show...when they were (I think Canada, or it may have still been Alaska) they had stopped for the night and had gone to a bar or someplace to eat, and while waiting a guy approached Ewan, had recognized him, and found out they had been on the road for 3 months, away from their wives. The man offered to show Ewan where he could find some women to show him a good time. Ewan got really upset with the man, yes he was ...um...(trying to find a board friendly word here...well, you know), but he wanted his wife, not some strange woman (And this was several days before he expected to see his wife)...If I remember right, I think he got up and walked away from him because otherwise he was about ready to say some really unpleasant things...The man also met Charlie and invited him and Ewan to his ranch to ride some horses..Ewan at first didn't want to go, but ended up going and having a good time and concluded the guy wasn't so bad. I thought that was so cool, and it impressed me about Ewan. Then when he had his surprise visit from his wife, he says in the book they went up to their room, and when he crawled into bed next to his wife, he said he was back where he belonged...[face_love] I guess I do impart a lot of how I see Obi-Wan with how Ewan is (or seems to be). And when I'm writing Siriwan, I think often of Ewan and Eve and the love they have for each other...very sweet...I hope they stay that way...

18. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Indeed Obimom... i totally aree with ur post too. It's like we're sharin a brain here, spooookyyyy [face_worried]:p[face_laugh]

Long Way Down was good, but much more stressed than the first one i think. That's why i found it to be a bit tougher.

serendipityaey: yeah, Ewan's a bit more tame now. He was a bit crazier when he was youner, also due to him drinking a bit more back then. He's been very candid in the past about how he gave it up when he realized it was taking over a bit more than it should and he realized he didnt need doing that. See? another Obi trait right there: he's not perfect and is well aware of his flaws and limitations, and yet finds a way to push past them and give his best.

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Okay, you realize that if I sit down and start watching the DVDs, I WON'T be writing, don't you?

Ah ha! Your evil plan comes to light.

20. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    OH, No, Val!! :eek: You...must...write!!!

I'm hanging by a thread waiting for your next post!!!

But do watch the DVDs when you get a chance...and read the books, Too!! They give more insight into Ewan thoughts and feelings than the show does (he's writing his inner thoughts, feelings...how good is that??) ;) Plus as I said, the books show out things that happened that the show doesn't (like WHY Ewan said or did some of the things he did, and his feelings about Charlie, some of the crew members, his wife and children, etc. Very insightful (more so even than the show) for getting to know Ewan a little better.

21. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    ok, Val, I'm watching the Europe episode on Current right now, and I forgot how much fun he is to watch (along with Charlie adn the others)...have your drool bucket ready...=P~

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm at work, Deb, can't drool OR watch TV and have no idea if the Seattle stations are even showing the show.

You need to pop in at the Films>Community>Obi-Wan fan club board to help keep that thread "up" as well.

May the Obi-goodness be with us all.;)

23. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I was wondering if there was...if there wasn't i was going to suggest maybe starting one..I'll go check it out...thanks (after I read your update, which I'm almost giddy about...

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    (almost) Giddy? Whatever for? It's just a transition chapter; nothing much exciting.

25. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    yeah, says you...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.