main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | 1Q 2024 Challenge: Results Are In!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    The OC Revolution Returns

An original character, or OC, is a character created by a fanfic author or roleplayer for an established canon storyline.
    —Wikipedia

For a reader, discovering a good OC can be akin to a surprise visit from a chatty Papa George who wants to explain the mysteries of GFFA, including how some of the Empire's best troops could be defeated by tribal teddy bears, why stormtrooper armor didn't work as effectively as clonetrooper armor or why Jedi Padawans wore mullets (business up front/party in the back). Sadly, a bad OC experience is comparable to being trapped in an elevator with your least favorite character in the Saga and no available weapons of mass destruction.

Undoubtedly, we've all had our share of bad OC experiences. Every one of us has stumbled across or has written (time to fess up, kiddos) one of those OCs who makes you want to stab your eyes out and renounce your literacy. However, we also have read or have written the ones who put a lump in your throat, make you snarf carbonated beverages, see the humanity in the bad guys, or think about the GFFA in a totally new light.

OC writers are a tough and often under-appreciated lot, yet we keep trudging back for more—we either like the abuse or have something important to say. This thread is an attempt to provide a forum for OC writers (I know there have been others in the distant past, but MODS this will be unique, I promise) to pull together, like our very own leper colony, and talk about what makes us tick as writers and why we tell the stories we do.
    —oqidaun (former Fanfic Moderator, founder of the OC Revolution, and quite the Original Character in her own right)

Welcome back, everyone, to the thread all of our OCs call home! It has been nearly nine months since we last convened, but all the more reason to get this rocking again. With the new boards, we will have some changes to the old system. A new day brings new excitements. [face_dancing]

The database, as it was, fell apart, as few people were submitting their stories or characters any more, so we will no longer be continuing with the database. The old database thread still exists here (though still in a truncated form). We will, however continue our fine tradition of OC discussions and challenges, reviving the OC dueling circle once again.

Note (1-8-2015): You are welcome to discuss your other fandom and original fiction OCs as well as Star Wars ones.

Note (1-25-2015): Linking to fics is currently allowed in this thread when they are relevant to an ongoing discussion (please don't just drop your story link into the conversation). See the new policy on linking for details before linking anything. The post may still be edited if it's deemed to be pimping/promoting, so exercise your best judgment.

The thread where you list your OC characters is not this one but the OC Index Thread.

NB: As of 9 September 2022, this thread and the OCDatabaseSock are run jointly by @Findswoman and @earlybird-obi-wan .

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  2. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Current Challenge: See OCDatabaseSock's signature.

Current Noncompetitive Challenges: See list at bottom of next post.

Recurring Challenge Rules
    (last updated 25 June 2018)
    Just so we're all clear how all of these challenges are going to work:

1. For your response to be accepted for voting, it must be OC-driven. This means that it features only OCs, or that any canon characters that appear only play a minor role.

2. You may write your responses in any era (Before/Saga/Beyond). Stories may be from either the Star Wars or the Non Star Wars Fan Fiction section.

3. Do not post your challenge responses or links to them in this thread. Instead, PM them to the OCDatabaseSock. NEW PROCEDURE as of 25 June 2018: You may post links to your challenge responses within this thread. When the time for voting comes, the thread hosts will post a list of links to stories that were entered into the challenge.

4. Each challenge will have a deadline (usually about four months eight weeks from the date the challenge was announced). In order to be qualified for voting, your story link must be PMed to the sock your story must be posted by that deadline. If you are late, we will still share it with the thread, but it is ineligible for voting.

5. The voting period will usually be about a week long. Each challenge will specify this length. Votes should be PMed to the sock within that period to count. Please do not post your vote publicly in the thread.

6. You may not vote for yourself. Also, please don't just vote for your friends. Read everyone's responses and chose the winner after you have read through them all. Let's be fair to everyone.

7. You may, however, vote for the person who provided the previous challenge.

8. The winner of each challenge gets to set the theme for the next challenge. The winner should PM the sock with their challenge idea after each challenge finishes.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2024 at 8:11 AM
  3. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Here we will list past challenges, entries, and winners.

October 2012 Challenge: OC Deathcoaster 2012!
    It's that time again! Kill your OC (or many OCs!) in a clever and unexpected way. Extra points for blunt trauma. I know you are attached to your OCs and their story lines, but I encourage you to take an AU turn from your personal universe and give your OC a sudden and untimely death that, for this challenge, has nothing to do with the end you originally planned for them. Let's keep this short: 2000 word limit.

Entries:
    Sacrifice by MasterGhandalf
    Crash Landing by SoA (ineligible for voting)
    Winner:

March 2013 Challenge: "Close Your Eyes"
    This is a two-part challenge. It's your choice if you want to do only one part (either one) or both in the same story. In many of our stories we rely heavily on the use of visuals and the sense of sight. In this challenge we're going to engage another of our senses…
    Part A: Write a story in which at least one scene is dominated by a sense (or senses) other than sight. Have us experience the scene through the character's hearing, smell, touch, taste, or even the Force.
    Part B: Music can evoke powerful feelings and can influence our writing in many ways. Write a story in which at least one scene has been somehow directly influenced by a song, and let us know what song it is. This is very open to interpretation. Did a powerful classical piece put you in the right frame of mind to write that big battle? Did a single line of lyrics from that soft love song give you an idea for a character's relationship?

Entries:
    The SONIM Threat (chapter 23, first scene) by earlybird-obi-wan
    Stargirl by leiamoody
    Winner:
    Stargirl by leiamoody

May 2013 Challenge: "The Worst Day of Your Life"
    Provided by leiamoody: "Write about the worst day of a character's life. If the character has experienced more than one "worst day", pick the one that has impacted their life the most. The 'worst day' doesn't have to be the standard tragic fare. It could be something that is really silly but awful to the character."

Entries:
    Complications by earlybird-obi-wan
    Nothing Good in Goodbye by Thumper09 (ineligible for voting)
    Winner:
    Complications by earlybird-obi-wan

August 2014 Challenge: The OCs Want a Vacation!
    Write about your overworked original characters on a vacation. Alternately, send your peacefully-living, relaxed OCs on a vacation. It’ll make things interesting for them.

Entry and winner:
    Respite by Mando-Man

Fall Challenge 2014
    Provided by Mando-Man: "Your original character(s) help someone through a difficult time. This does not have to mean a death or major tragedy, but also applies to any situation in which the other character could use their support."

Entries:
    Shattered by Mando-Man
    Reintegration by Ink.Knight
    Raissa Baiard Solves Them All by Raissa Baiard
    The Commander's Holo-com by Viridian-Maiden
    A tree-dweller in Imperial City by Chyntuck
    Winner:
    Raissa Baiard Solves Them All by Raissa Baiard

Winter Challenge 2014
    Provided by Raissa Baiard: "My idea was that your OC receives (or gives) an unexpected gift. (I don't know if it matters, but writers can interpret 'gift' however they want to, e.g. a Force ability, or a bounty)."

Entries:
    Festival of the Long Night by Ink.Knight
    All I Have to Give by divapilot
    If You Give Me the Chance by SabyneAmberle
    Not Exactly an Old-Fashioned Life Day by Raissa Baiard
    Unexpected Parenthood by Chyntuck
    Winner:
    Unexpected Parenthood by Chyntuck

Spring Challenge 2015
    Provided by Chyntuck: "Your OC grapples with the concept of family (which can mean having or not having a family, becoming part of a new family either literally or metaphorically, struggling to find one's place in a family, or basically whatever interpretation you want to give to the prompt as long as it involves family."

Entries:
    Ashes to Ashes by Ink.Knight
    Recovering Home by whiskers
    The Crib by Chyntuck
    Strength of Will by JadeLotus
    About a Boy by Ewok Poet
    Travelling with Children by MsLanna
    Winner:
    About a Boy by Ewok Poet

Summer Challenge 2015
    Provided by Ewok Poet: "Your character experiences walking in somebody else's shoes. You may interpret that in any way you like: they can fill in for somebody at work, read somebody's mind...or pretty much anything in between!"

Entries:
    The Pixelpuff Girls – Rescue of Lara Croft by Sith-I-5
    Mary Formal attends SMERSH interview by Sith-I-5
    Half the Battle by Thumper09
    Out From the Shadows by whiskers
    The Chronomaker and the Findsman by Findswoman
    Ain’t Me by Rau_Fang
    Destination: Anywhere (The Black Star, Chapter 4) by Ewok Poet
    Winners (2):
    Half the Battle by Thumper09
    The Chronomaker and the Findsman by Findswoman

Autumn Challenge 2015
    Provided by Findswoman: "Write a story in which your character's feelings, choices, and/or actions are influenced by the experience of either hearing or making music (e.g., singing, playing, etc.). Please note the following:
    - This is distinct from a songfic in that the music has to be taking place in-universe.
    - The influence has to come from the music itself, not just the words of a song, though lyrics and melody can work in tandem.
    - Descriptions of specific characteristics of the music (things like volume, instrumentation, tempo, etc.) are highly encouraged but not absolutely required."

Entries:
    Evensong by leiamoody
    The Spacer’s Song by Findswoman
    Radiophonic Heart by Ewok Poet
    Winner:
    Evensong by leiamoody

Spring Challenge 2016
    Provided by leiamoody: "Write about a character who is normally always busy doing nothing (i.e. something that is essential for daily survival but not life-altering; ex. Doing laundry). This can be a brief moment of downtime during an otherwise busy day, or someone who is undergoing a long period of inactivity. The writer can decide if their character is happy/unhappy with this state."

Entries:
    Part 1 and Part 2 of Australian Adventure - Day Three (two-chapter entry) by Sith-I-5
    Champion by Chyntuck
    The Long Road to Recovery by whiskers
    Hard Time by Thumper09
    Between the Porch and the Altar by Findswoman
    After the Climb by Ewok Poet
    Winners (2):
    Between the Porch and the Altar by Findswoman
    The Long Road to Recovery by whiskers

Summer/Autumn/Winter Challenge 2016
    There were two challenge prompts because the last challenge had two winning entries:
    1. Provided by Findswoman: "Write a story featuring an OC who is never physically present in the story but still manages to influence the events and outcome in a pivotal way. The character can be absent from the scene for any reason the author chooses, including death. (NB: it's OK for the character to be perceived in some other way—e.g., heard over a comm call, heard through a nearby doorway, sensed in the Force, etc.—as long as the character is never actually seen in person 'onstage.')"
    2. Provided by whiskers: "One of the things I remember most about a favorite autobiography of mine was that the athlete recalling another person that trained with him. He had mostly nice things to say, but his main criticism has always stuck out: 'he has burned bridges that he should have just looked back at.' My challenge is this: your character burns the proverbial with someone and there is no turning back from it. They may regret it, or they may not, the choice is up to you."
    Entries:
    Don't Be Afraid of the Dark by divapilot
    Life, Death and Other Goals by Ewok Poet
    The Lost Artist by Chyntuck
    Winner:
    Don't Be Afraid of the Dark by divapilot

Spring Challenge 2017
    Provided by divapilot: "Write a story in which your OC forgets or remembers something important at a critical time."

Entries:
    Quite a Handful (links to Part II and Part III here) by Ewok Poet
    Mary Formal and E-Branch chapters by Sith-I-5: Australian Adventure - Day Three (1pm...ish), (later in the afternoon), and (afternoon, at the fishing boat)
    Winner:
    Quite a Handful (links to Part II and Part III here) by Ewok Poet

Summer Challenge 2017
    Provided by Ewok Poet: "Your character has lost something or somebody and needs to get it back. The story can be comical or serious."

Entries:
    Prophesy: The Rogues: a Star Wars Kingdom Hearts Crossover by Theodore Hawkwood
    Families by DARTH_MU
    The Dancer and the Thief by Chyntuck
    Keeping up with the Calrissians: Back Again by Mistress_Renata
    Winner:
    The Dancer and the Thief by Chyntuck

Autumn/Winter Challenge 2017
    Provided by Chyntuck: "Write a story or a chapter of an on-going story in which the reader is introduced to an OC protagonist entirely through the point of view of another, secondary character. To clarify:
    1) Your OC is the main character of the story/chapter, i.e. the story/chapter is primarily about this OC.
    2) Your OC is not the POV character, i.e. we never get inside your OC's head.
    3) The POV character may be another OC or an established character.
    4) The narrative POV in the story/chapter must be either first-person or third-person limited."

Entries:
    My Worst Student, the Young Comradette Vorr by Ewok Poet
    The Kyberkerk of Jedha by Chyntuck
    Winner:
    My Worst Student, the Young Comradette Vorr by Ewok Poet

Spring/Summer Challenge 2018
    Provided by Ewok Poet: "An event from your OC's childhood that influenced them and changed them, whether it was for better or worse." See list of stories here.
    Winner: A Freak Like Me by Raissa Baiard

Summer Challenge 2018
    Provided by Raissa Baiard: "Your character confesses a secret to another character (who can be either an OC or an EC). This can be anything from mildly embarrassing ("I still watch Brave Little Banthas"), to heartfelt ("I've always loved you"), to deep and dark ("I killed a man in the spice mines of Kessel"). How does the other character react and how does your character respond?" See list of stories here.
    Winner: Waterstories by Ewok Poet

Fall/Winter Challenge 2018
    Provided by Ewok Poet: "Write a story where one or more of your OCs are betrayed by other character(s). The betrayal must be justified from the latter's point of view, and it may be personal, professional (e.g., as in sports or politics), or a combination of both. Bonus points if the betrayal causes other characters to view the story’s events in more than one way." See list of stories here.
    Winner: With Friends Like These by Vek Talis

Spring Challenge 2019
    Provided by Vek Talis: "Your OC is faced with a moral dilemma in the form of a crisis. Solving it the way her/his morals urge them to solve it will almost certainly alienate a close colleague (could be a lover, a platonic friend, someone your OC relies on in other ways, etc, but someone close). What will your OC do?" See list of stories here.
    Winner: Community by TheRynJedi

Summer/Fall Challenge 2019
    Provided by TheRynJedi: "Write your OC’s origin story. Doesn’t have to be their life story, maybe a story of how they became who they are now, or a step along the way, something that happened that greatly influenced who they are." See list of stories here.
    Sole entry (out of competition): Sparks by Findswoman

Winter Challenge 2020
    "Search Your Feelings!" (provided by Findswoman)
    Winners: Sorrow by Anedon and The First Order Veterinarian by gizkaspice

Spring Challenges 2020
    Change of Allegiance (provided by Anedon)
    Winner: Journeys into Darkness by TheRynJedi

Pets (provided by gizkaspice)
    Winner: Snips and Snails and Bantha Tails by Kit'

Summer Challenge 2020
    Turns of Phrase (provided by Kit' and TheRynJedi)
    (no entries)

Fall Challenge 2020
    First-Line Edition (provided by Kit')
    Winner: Ice over Embers by Mechalich

Winter 2020–21: First Contact with Unknown Species (provided by Mechalich)
    Winner: Even Enemies by madman007

First Quarter 2021:
    The Comedy Challenge (provided by madman007)
    Winner: HK-47 and the Super Evil Chaos Twins of Evil by ViariSkywalker

Second Quarter 2021: The Fight Challenge (provided by ViariSkywalker)
    Winner: Skip of Breath by Mechalich

Third Quarter 2021: The Extreme Environment Challenge (provided by Mechalich)
    Winners: Earth Talker by Kit' and Killer Lake by earlybird-obi-wan

Fall 2021: The Background OC Challenge—Plus! (provided by Kit’ and earlybird-obi-wan)
    Winner: A Lesson in Death by Kit'

Winter 2022: The OC Weather Challenge (provided by Kit’)
    Winners: Time to Get Wet by earlybird-obi-wan and The Archivist’s Shadow by Kit'

Spring 2022: "Music Makes My Heart Sing!" (provided by Kit’ and earlybird-obi-wan)
    Winner: Leaping to Conclusions - Part 2 - Snips and Snails by Kit'

Spring–Summer 2022: The OC Comfort Challenge (provided by Kit')
    Winner: Comfort Food by Raissa Baiard

Late Summer 2022: Finding Your Path (provided by Raissa Baiard)
    Winner: Fathom by Thumper09

Fall 2022: OOC OC (provided by Thumper09)
    Winner: Imposters by Kit'

Fall–Winter 2022: When a Door Closes... (provided by Kit')
    Winner: A Sick One with a Smile by ViariSkywalker

Second Quarter 2023:
    Nightmares (provided by ViariSkywalker)
    Winner: Memory Fuel by Mechalich

Poll: Near-OCs and Gray Areas

Third Quarter 2023: Negotiations
    (provided by Mechalich)
    Winner: The Taking of the Firstborns by Chyntuck

Fourth Quarter 2023:
    Language Barriers (provided by Chyntuck)
    Sole entry (out of competition): Closed Borders by Thumper09

First Quarter 2024: The Inexplicable (provided by Thumper09)
    Winners: Lost in the Everywhere by Kit' and The Pipecleaner by Mechalich

Second Quarter 2024: Coming Soon!

PAST NONCOMPETITIVE CHALLENGES
    (always in effect—no deadline on these!)

Just-for-Fun Challenge: Festivities: This is a non-competition challenge. It can be done separate from or in addition to the Winter Challenge. Write a story that includes the word "festivities" and use 500 words or less.
    Entries:
    "Dearest Delphine!" by Findswoman
    Festival of the Long Night by Ink.Knight (challenge entry but incorporated the just-for-fun challenge as well)

February 2015: "Oh my darling Valentine": Provided by earlybird-obi-wan. Write a story based on this quote: Oh my darling Valentine
    Entries:
    Nuv by Ewok Poet

2018: Moving: Write a story about your OC and moving.
    2018: Create a New OC in 500–1500 Words: Provided by brodiew. Exactly what it says. See list of stories here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2024 at 8:15 AM
  4. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Let's get this discussion rolling! As we gather a critical mass, let's start with something small. I have a little interview for your OCs:

1. Please do introduce yourself.

2. Where did your writer leave you hanging during the board closure?

3. How did you feel being abandoned like that right there?

4. How do you think your writer would do, put in the same position?

SoA here, sad to say, my fantastic co-host Corellian_Ale has not made it back after the board shift. In the midst of the shift, I started grad school. As you can imagine, my spare time is much less than it was before. If anyone is interested in helping to co-host this thread do let me know. If I'm not running out of steam all the time, this will be way more exciting. :D

5. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    OC Revolutionaries unite! :D

Hey everyone, I'm Leiraya, resident barefoot Jedi.

Let's see. I believe the crew and I were getting ourselves off Korriban.

With all due respect to my author, she had a habit of leaving me hanging a lot before the board closure, so I barely noticed the difference. I know, she has a busy schedule, and something about having a grown up job. I'm just saying, she found time for me during her worst semesters of college- heck, she started writing me when she wasn't even allowed to type.

But, you know, she's been writing more lately, so that's good. She's just on notice.

I mean, when you all left us, we were on a ship. It's not hard to be on a ship, so I'm sure she'd manage. Though she may have trouble keeping herself entertained that long... unless perhaps those three months were spent writing our continuing adventures? Is that what we have to do to get her to finish this story? Can we test the theory?

6. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    W00t!

Hi, everyone, I'm Quiver Yanilr, X-wing Starfighter Pilot Extraordinaire. My writer would probably say that my wingman Darin should be writing this instead, but trust me, you don't want that. He's way too quiet and would probably type all of two words before he runs out of things to say. I never quite figured out why my writer uses his callsign to post here. Why not mine? Better yet, why don't I have an account of my own? I should make one; it'd be a lot more fun than commandeering this one.

Luckily she didn't leave me hanging personally. She was messing with some groundpounders on these boards before they closed down. She continued to antagonize me during the downtime like she normally does, though not quite as often as before since she was concentrating on a story about Darin before I met him, so I was nowhere in it. At all. I was shoved off into a dark corner... all alone...

At first I liked the little vacation. Hey, who doesn't, right? I could sleep in, not get beat on, it was awesome. But by the second day I started to get really bored. I tried being a nuisance to get some attention, and she'd just mutter something about how she really wanted to finish this other story and she didn't want to be distracted by me until it was done. Can you believe that? How rude. Plus she'd never let me borrow the car to go to the beach, so I went a little stir-crazy.

Pfft, there's no way to know. I can't figure her out any more than I can figure Darin out. Like, for example, when my writer is in writing mode then she thinks and talks about us going to other planets like it's the most natural thing in the galaxy, but then when she's out of writing mode it's like there's some switch that gets flipped and suddenly making a short little flight to Earth's moon to pick up a few dirty ol' rocks is some huge accomplishment to aspire to. How do I deal with that? I never know which mindset she's in, and it drives me crazy!
    Oh, on a completely different topic though, when I was messing around on my writer's computer and rifling through things (don't tell her I did that), I noticed she has pre-move threads saved, so if anything from the old OC thread is needed in its non-truncated form, I'm sure she'll be happy to supply it. Hey, she volunteers me for things all the time. Payback is sweet.

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    YES!!!!

I am Jehna Er-San, surgeon and anaesthetist at Noranan General hospital on Moniron. I have recently joined the hospital after saving former Jedi healer Aaqu Maerhin. My writer had a story outlined for me (it had to be on the boards at the same time as the summer Olympics with the theme of running a marathon) and my colleagues Aaqu Maerhin and Marhin Adin - both recovering from an accident are writing a diary that would have them commenting on me and my adventures.

At the first unpublished part that reads like this

‘I hate you!’
    Flames – burning flames – were dancing on the black and red surface.
    ‘You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!’
    A hand was outstretched.
    A burning man tried to crawl away.
    He was trapped.
    Why?
    Why was no one coming?
    He tried to kick away the rubble with his legs.
    Arms were flailing.
    He was getting free.
    But…
    He was falling towards….
    “Oh nooh … someone help me…. darkness … I am trapped.”

Pretty scary I think and I recall something from years back when I was a kid having the same dream. I felt two Jedi fighting on Mustafar and had a nightmare (or vision) about that. My teacher Tarmenel Eled-Hir could comfort me and tell me that Anakin had some good in him.

That saved him and I had a nice dream when he returned to the light and the eternity that is the Force and was united with his wife Padmé

Scary. What will the writer do with me? She called the story Inferno.

She would be scared too. But maybe with a difference. I have midi-chlorians and some outlines of that story will have me loosing all of them.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/inferno.50003173/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/inferno.50003173/]inferno[/url]

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004

My name is Sevastra Strange. Strange by name *and* by nature, or so I'm told.

I was about to go to Hogwarts, a school of magic, though I doubt a muggle like you would understand. I'm not a muggle and I don't think I do, to be honest.

Weird, I guess. I'm not sure I like the idea of starting at a new school, and so far from home. Then again, it's exciting. The book on Hogwarts is fascinating and I can't wait to actually get there.

I think she'd be more excited than me. She obviously knows more about Hogwarts than she lets on. That said, she'd have to deal with my parents, and they're not the most amazing people at the best of times. She'd cope though, I hope.

9. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    *chooses txt file at random*

I'm Utu Rundess, head tech of the Yamay Rangers, an Outer Rim mercenary group. I hate sand, mud, rain, and anything else that doesn't belong in the controlled climate of a spacefaring vessel.

I'm presently on Tatooine. With Jabba dead, there's no reason to stick around and I'm waiting for the captain and first mate to return so they can tell us where we're headed.

I've had these . . . premonitions, I guess, about what's going to happen when he starts writing again. I don't want it to happen, but it will. So to be quite honest, I'm enjoying this quiet interlude while it lasts and, frankly, kind of hoping his attention turns to the dozen or so other half-written stories he has.

He'd fret for the first couple of days, then realize there's nothing he can do about the situation and ignore it until he can't. Probably.

10. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Look at all these OCs! Huzzah! I guess I should let one of mine in as well too.

My name is Kionee Rinnh and I'm a produce freighter pilot for Rinnh Imports.

Where she usually does when she leaves me alone for other more interesting characters. I just kept freighting all that fruit across the galaxy like I've always done, seeing interesting sites, meeting interesting people, watching lots of chick flicks on my holoprojector while I'm in hyperspace, you know.

It's just as well. Ev and the rest of them were off doing way more interesting things.

I'm pretty sure she'd get bored. She doesn't like chick flicks that much, and that's all I've got saved on my ship computer here. Plus, she has no idea how to fly, and I bet she'd get the munchies and go for some of my stock in the hold, and that is bad business.

While I'm here, I want to welcome Thumper as our new thread Co-host! Thanks so much for stepping up! The first real challenge of the thread will go up sometime soon this week.

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004

My name is Mark Tantiss. If my last name sounds familiar, it’s because I am named after Mount Tantiss on Wayland where I was discovered. I am a clone created by Joruus C’baoth. What most people don’t know is there were two Luuke Skywalker clones created by C’baoth. One was to be his apprentice and the other was mutated to become an Imperial Sentinel (that's me)—a chemically lobotomized 2.1 meter giant that would be an extension of C’baoth’s will. I was lucky enough to be saved by Han Solo and Luke Skywalker before the lobotomy was performed on me. Along with being much taller and muscular than Luke Skywalker, I have changed my looks by dying my hair, changing my eye color and growing a beard to look as different from Luke as possible. I am currently studying to be a Jedi. Here's a photo of me in my battle armor. I hate Jedi robes.

[​IMG]

I just lost my virginity. That is a pretty good place to be left hanging.

I was in bed with a beautiful woman…so I didn’t mind.

I don’t think she would like it. She would much prefer lying around in bed with a certain blue-eyed farmboy.

12. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010

Dr. Nivi Abrixin, Jal Shey, formerly of the Republic Bioterrorism Countermeasures Center. I am versed in a number of fields, but specialize in epidemiology, genetics, and pathology.

Oh, I was nothing more than a phantom fragment of quantum possibility at that point, concrete imagery has only emerged very recently. My author is a fickle one sometimes, he spent the move blowing up starships with Imperials and playing with sharks.

Hard to be abandoned when you don't yet exist, but in some ways, it sounds nice, right about now. I would be happy if time stopped and I could put everything aside and spend a few...years...reading. I think then I might feel ready to take on the present.

That is a deep and philosophical question that is entirely too meta for my taste. You should probably refer it to a Jedi instead.

13. Anime_Jedi

Anime_Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Keyo Soren, former Jedi, now Shadow Jedi.
    In a dark place with water and sand all alone.

I was waiting for my story to continue, he left me in such a cliffhanger.

He wouldn't really like the place for to long, being along isn't to much fun.

14. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Good to see all of these OCs back and that none of you abused them too badly over the break. Now we have our first challenge back on the new boards.

OC Deathcoaster 2012!

It's that time again! Kill your OC (or many OCs!) in a clever and unexpected way. Extra points for blunt trauma. I know you are attached to your OCs and their story lines, but I encourage you to take an AU turn from your personal universe and give your OC a sudden and untimely death that, for this challenge, has nothing to do with the end you originally planned for them.

Let's keep this short: 2000 word limit.

Deadline: October 31, 2012

PM links of your responses to the sock.

15. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    My name is Jane Mago. I'm a Corellian-born Jedi currently training on Coruscant under my godfather, Qui-Gon Jinn, alongside his other apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi. I'm not going to beat around the bush with saying this: I'm a genius. My head just stores and comprehends information better than others. I'm also a decent fighter, artist and mechanic, but my real love is music and singing. Even though I'm just a kid, I've got a lot of dark secrets hidden behind my hazel eyes. If I feel like I trust you enough, I may just tell you them. And if I particularly like you, I may just tell you my real name.

I was sitting beside my new best friend, Jace Solo, and he was playing piano and we were both singing. (Note from Writer: At this point, Jane was six standard years old and Jace was eight standard years old, the year being 37 BBY. Both get older as the story progresses)

I'm okay with it, because I was with friends. Jace is the best, and the only friend I have that's my age.

I think she'd be happy. I mean, who wouldn't want to be surrounded by good friends?

16. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    To get the creative juices flowing for the Deathcoaster challenge, let's look at character deaths for a moment.

Has the death of one of your OCs been particularly memorable for you? Whether it was due to the emotions involved (your own or your other characters'), the way you wrote it, the reactions from readers, or something else?

Do you have an OC whose death you've regretted writing? Would you change the outcome if you could do it all over again?

Do you have an OC (maybe a villain, maybe not!) whom you would like to kill off but can't yet? Maybe they're needed for something in the story down the road, maybe you've tried and they just won't stay dead.

When one of your characters has completed his/her role in your story, how do you decide whether to kill the character off or to send them away alive?

17. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I had to write the death of a character I really liked. It was kind of hard and I didn't want to do it, but it was important to the plot. The story was a three part thing that I wrote ages ago. The last part, which I still haven't written, involves a lot of death. I guess that's why I haven't written it yet. :(

18. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Has the death of one of your OCs been particularly memorable for you? Whether it was due to the emotions involved (your own or your other characters'), the way you wrote it, the reactions from readers, or something else?

The death of Lynne, in my Claymore fic Silver Gray, remains my most memorable, because it involved a character who was innocent of any real wrongdoing sacrificing herself to preserve the lives of others who didn't know her and in fact actively despised her. It was incredibly challenging to do, but it worked out to be everything I hoped for, and reader reaction was very positive.

Do you have an OC whose death you've regretted writing? Would you change the outcome if you could do it all over again?

I was obligated to kill a character in The People's Armor for reasons of plot necessity. I was not entirely happy with how I did it, overall.

Do you have an OC (maybe a villain, maybe not!) whom you would like to kill off but can't yet? Maybe they're needed for something in the story down the road, maybe you've tried and they just won't stay dead.

I don't really maintain a personal continuity in the way some fanficcers do, so this isn't really an issue. I take this sort of thing story by story, and generally figure out who will die well in advance.

When one of your characters has completed his/her role in your story, how do you decide whether to kill the character off or to send them away alive?

Would it be believable for the character to just leave? At that present time? Will whatever they go off to do prevent them from coming back later? Would that be a problem, or can that be worked with? This is particularly important in a high-tech reality like Star Wars, where a character cannot simply wander off into the wilderness and get lost for a decade or so in the way fantasy settings can often pull. I try not to kill a character frivolously, as I recall a sequence where I set a character away and the plot them moved in such a fashion that he was able to come back and play a significant role later without needing to create another random character.

19. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    There was a really long time where I didn't want to kill anyone, and then I set up a minor OC at the end of "Under the Shadow of the Builders" just so that you would love him for three chapters before I'd kill him, making the whole war a bit more 'real.' Trouble is, I loved him by the time I killed him. It really makes me want to go back and insert him into some earlier stories. :(

I had to write through the first Jedi purge to get to where I'm going with my bigger story arc, and it was really hard to start killing off some of my more prominent OCs. It stressed me out really badly. But now that I made it through the death of almost the entire order (I killed something like 300 Jedi in one chapter :_|), I am kind of excited to kill off other characters. I had originally only planned to kill one or two characters before the end of my main epic, but now I'm coming up with more and more reasons to kill off other characters. Bring on the drama!

Really, I kill off characters when canon demands it, and then some. We do write in Star Wars, and people die in war. Having a cast of invincible characters, untouched by death sometimes can feel a bit contrived. I also kill of characters, sometimes, to set up a certain mind-set for the other characters that survive them. If there isn't a particular reason for a character to die, I generally let them walk out of the story alive.

20. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I've killed off one OC. At first the readers wanted me to kill her because this OC was married to Luke Skywalker. In my story Mara turned Luke down when he proposed marriage, but later regretted it. So the readers wanted my OC DEAD! This would allow Luke (after grieving) to hook up with Mara. But her death saved the life of Luke and then everybody was all, "Oh I'm so sad you OC is dead." I think they wanted me to make her unlikeable before her demise.

If I didn't kill off the above OC, Luke wouldn't be with Mara...so no I don't regret it. She died a hero.

No, I don't have one I want to kill.

I really don't want to kill off my character. I want him alive when the story is done. My OC story was originally planned to be an angst filled plot where the OC dies tragically, but then I decided to go the opposite direction and he is very happy now.

21. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I know this isn't what you had in mind, but:

In one AU where the Empire won the Battle of Yavin, I killed everyone who wasn't airborne when the Death Star fired, and probably most of the pilots as well. I don't regret having killed them, but I do regret not having written their deaths except as a line or two of exposition. If I could do it over again, I'd kill them - alas, the premise of the AU demands it - but I think I'd put in a scene or two just so I can remember that they were living until I decided otherwise.

22. MasterGhandalf

MasterGhandalf Jedi Master star 3

Oct 25, 2009

Hmm... from a Star Wars fic, probably the Master, aka the Yuuzhan Vong-created clone of Anakin Solo, from I, Warrior, though this is more from writing Tahiri's own thoughts on emotions on having to kill someone who looked just like Anakin rather than anything about the Master himself (dude deserved it, honestly). From a non- Star Wars fic, I think the death of Wei Ming, a tragic villain from an Avatar: Last Airbender story, is probably the best OC death I've written.

Not really; I generally don't kill a major character unless I feel like it's the best way to resolve the story, or at least their part of it. I've written deaths I've felt sad about, but never that I regretted writing.

Not currently, but Jadek Hunner and Akhi Lian (both from I, Warrior as well) were bad guys who certainly had their fates coming to them. Hunner, never more than a side villain, I got to kill off quickly, but Akhi Lian stubbornly stuck around until he finally caught a fatal case of Jaina's lightsaber-to-the-neck.

I mostly go with my gut for what feels right for the character and the story- and this can change as the story and characters develop. To use another I, Warrior example, Captain Hassk, a Trandoshan mercenary working for the real villains, was originally slated to die, but I ended up liking the character enough that he got arrested instead. Maybe he'll show up again someday...

EDIT: And here's the first round of questions, too:

My name is Keenah, Yuuzhan Vong priestess of the goddess Yun-Ne'shel and, so far as I am aware, the only member of my race to possess the power of the Force. Does this satisfy you?

He left me just as I had realized that my Master, who I had trusted to teach me to use my abilities, was perhaps not the true servant of the gods I had believed him to be following a confrontation with a specter that called itself Darth Sidious. I would prefer not to speak of this further.

Extremely uncomfortable.

My writer is an infidel. I cannot imagine how he could have ended up in my position. Are we done here?

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  23. SoA

SoA Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2008
    Haha. Well, we won't be bothering Keenah any more now.

Let's extend the deadline for the current OC challenge through this Sunday night, in case there are some OC writers without power now in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. I hope everyone is doing alright!

24. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    To get the creative juices flowing for the Deathcoaster challenge, let's look at character deaths for a moment.

I would think that the most memorable would be my first OC and my first kill: Jorec Merridon. He was a Jedi who somehow managed to survive the Purge, so he was always slated to die. Thing is, as I kept getting closer and closer to the end, I began to really doubt that I could actually go through with it. Thing is, the death wasn't that much of a downer: he saved his family and got to go all blue ghosty, but I won't forget it.

I haven't really racked up that large of a body count of original characters, but I certainly regret killing off the OC wife of another one of my OCs. At the very least, I probably should have given her a bit more characterization before offing her. I guess that was a side-effect of having that group of OCs being in a "limited series" if you will.

I would love to write the final fate of Ardon'iloet, a fallen Twi'lek Jedi that I played in an RPG game a couple of years back. The last anyone saw of him was fleeing into the Almas wilderness after the mission that saw him kill a fellow party member and nearly killing another. I imagine that he could be a major thorn in the side of some pre-Alliance rebel cells as an Inquisitor.

I generally look at the character and say: what would be the best way to write him or her off? Put them on a bus or relegate them to mere background cameos? Or I can kill them. What would either option do to the other characters in the story. How would they react to either scenario and what would come across as best in the narrative?

25. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    [face_skull] And the entries for the Deathcoaster challenge are in! [face_skull]

Crash Landing by SoA (ineligible for voting)

MasterGhandalf is the winner of this challenge! Congratulations! =D=

Everyone, pop on over to those stories and enjoy some good old-fashioned character death!

MasterGhandalf, as the winner you get to come up with the next challenge prompt. Just PM your challenge idea to the Sock.