main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Ewok Poet, probably pretty soon! The mods want a couple of weeks to hash out the forum rules that are under discussion. But after that, we're likely to get the index forum.

Edit: I am hopeless. Index thread.

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Now for the stupidest question ever: index forum? Unless that's a clear error...how would it work?

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Index thread, index thread!

4. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    No, I just screwed up. No mystery.

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Shows how clueless I (still) am on here. [face_blush]

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Ewok Poet, no way. That was my brain fart typo.

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    A name for an NPC for a Tumblr RP continuity bit me while I was in the bathroom: Agnes Huckleberry.

I really like how it sounds. Don't have a character to go with the name, yet, but I like the name.

Chyntuck, Kahara and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    It's serious and somewhat playful at the same time. :)

Also, best ideas and best writing happens in the bathroom, because there are no distractions.

Chyntuck, Kahara and TrakNar like this.
  9. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    How was I not alerted to all this posting? I have this thread on watch and yet somehow never got an email...*grumbles and goes to get started on the challenges*

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Ink.Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    For me it's always been when I'm washing dishes or walking the dog. Mindless physical tasks that allow me to let my thoughts wander.

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Your dog is probably 100% normal, then. :) Walking my dog is an adventure!

Chyntuck and Ink.Knight like this.
  12. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    New Discussion: Non-Star Wars OC's

Since it's now been clarified that we can talk about OC's from other fandoms and from original fiction, bring in a couple of non-SW OC's if you have any. Or make one!

Challenge Update/Reminder:

Challenge entries are due on the 20th, which is about two weeks from now.

We haven't received any entries for the challenge yet. This is close to normal, since challenge entries tend to flow in right around the due date. However, usually there are a couple of early ones. Not this time. Also, things have been kind of hectic lately with the awards and rules discussions. Would many of you benefit from a change of the challenge due date (say, to the 30th?)

Chyntuck and TrakNar like this.
  13. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Since it was clarified that a story chapter could work as an entry, I've got an entry coming soon. It will squeak close to the Jan 20 date so I am not adverse to scooting the deadline up to Jan 30.

As for nonSW OCs, sorry - I got nuthin'. But I would love to hear what others have come up with. :)

Kahara likes this.
  14. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I haven't seen one of these in a while, so I thought I would bring one of my 'true' OCs into the fold. 'Specially for those folks who don't remember her on the old boards.

1. Please do introduce yourself.

I am Jedi Knight Sabyne Rysur'Amberle, or just Sabyne Amberle. I lived in the time of what you now call the Old Republic, though for me it was just 'The Republic', so I existed quite a long time before Luke and Han and these other characters. Though they do remind me of men I knew...

2. Where did your writer leave you hanging during the board closure?

Truth be told, my author had been going through a rough time in her personal life, so I wasn't surprised she left me hanging the way she did. I *think* my author had assumed Revan was a woman who married Carth Onasi, so she gave me my own happily ever after with Mical, the Disciple who followed Meetra Surik.

3. How did you feel being abandoned like that right there?

Considering I had just been proposed to, I didn't mind one bit! Mical really is the sweetest gentleman, you know. And now that my author's been playing TOR more often, she's been going back and playing KotOR again. So I get new stories!

4. How do you think your writer would do, put in the same position?

I don't think she'd react any differently from me, though she is a bit more emotional than I am. Jedi training and all.

15. Ink.Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    *researches various midwinter and solstice celebrations to get ideas from for the challenge*

I'm thinking dancing and bonfires. And obviously gifts. Possibly traditionally handcrafted...why do I always make it harder for myself by creating a whole new culture for every incarnation of these two?

Kahara likes this.
  16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Wait, I have to introduce my OCs?

*Goes off to find Lavinnia, who had decided to hide.*

My non-SW OCs are currently used in RPs, and one of them has his own side-blog, but I can't link to it because it's very NSFW.

Kahara likes this.
  17. Ink.Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    I'm not really doing anything with non-SW OCs at the moment. I rp on tumblr but that's a Faith Lehane from Buffy and occasionally Jacen Solo. I also used to have a Myka from WH13 but the muse kinda died with the show. I had a few interesting OCs come and go but they don't really tend to stick around. I dunno, maybe Jake and Darra don't like to share.

18. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I have tons of original fiction OCs since nearly everything I wrote was original detective stories. My protagonists are usually these socially awkward/dysfunctional characters who end up solving a crime without really meaning to. The one I'm working on right now is called Aléxandros, but he insists that people call him Alessandro because he's a snob and he thinks that Italian sounds better :p He's a very tall, very fat, very gay and very talkative hairdresser who runs a luxury salon in Kolonaki, a posh neighbourhood of downtown Athens, and he's very good a picking up gossip about celebrities and politicians from the ladies who come for a hairdo. I'm still working on details of the plot, but the idea is that there's a spate of assassinations of members of parliament, and because his salon is on the way from parliament to Kolonaki square, the bodies are always found in his street. But of course Alessandro is a brilliant Miss Marple type, and he ends up solving the murders without ever leaving his salon.

This is a tricky character to write, because his endless gossip is the engine that makes the plot go forward, and he's supposed to convey the context of a posh neighbourhood that's completely out of touch with social reality, so there's a risk that the protagonist becomes a plot device rather than a character in his own right. I have him pretty well fleshed out on paper, but I need a sub-plot that mirrors the main plot to make sure that he comes across as a proper person in the narrative too, and right now I don't have one, so I haven't started writing the story yet.

-------------------------------------------------

OCDatabaseSock A suggestion, an answer and two questions.

I think we should update the opening post of this thread to reflect that all OCs can be discussed here (SWFF, NSWFF and non-FF) but I'm a bit confused about which OC fics fall under this thread. I understand that we can't post original fiction on this site, but do NSWFF stories now fall under this jurisdiction?

I'm still working on my challenge entry and I should have it ready by 20 January, but extending the deadline to 30 January would be nice.

For the "just for fun" challenge (500 words, including 'festivities') should we post links directly here or should we also PM the sock?

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  19. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Okay, one non-SW OC coming up...Eustace St. Cyr from an uncompleted story called Phantasmirrora. The story is about a bunch of people who wind up in a place called The Realms, and get there via mirrors and attempting to translate the Voynich Manuscript. He fell into The Realms back in 1929 while exploring caves in the Greek islands, and has set up a sort of immortal existence for himself. He takes in newly arrived Unfortunates (individuals who wind up falling through a mirror into The Realms) and shelters them at his home called Tacheron (which is modeled on the Villa of the Papyri at Herculaneum).
    He's become one of the leading magical sorts who have been trying for several hundred years to break the impenetrable barrier that separates The Realms from the "real world" (that is, the world on the other side of the mirror, which is ours). Basically, nothing special, just some dude stuck in another world...

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  20. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I would be totally cool with extending the challenge due date. Nothing I'm coming up with for it is working....and it's my prompt. D'oh! :oops:

21. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I'm working on a Challenge entry myself that keeps getting longer and longer. o_O

Extending the deadline would be nice, but isn't required. I'm good no matter what's decided.

22. Ink.Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    I managed to get one together but it took longer than it should have to shave it down to 500 words. XD

23. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    I'll update the first post later this week (please remind me if I don't.) Good idea!

OC stories for the competitions and fun challenges: still just Star Wars. If people are interested, I can ask the mods about including NSWFF entries in the challenges. But they may want that to stay on the NSWFF board. Does anyone know if NSWFF has an equivalent group to the OC thread?

PM the sock with all types of challenge entries. All the stories can be collected in one post that way. Hopefully that will make it easier for people to find them.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Chyntuck likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I want and I must read this. IF YOU DON'T GIVE IT TO ME AT SOME POINT, I WILL WRITE IN CAPS ALL MY LIFE.

My original characters are usually one-shots, but recently, I've planned to expand on my Square universe. I mentioned Square in my interview in December, not sure if I am allowed to re-link it, as it's original fiction.

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.