main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Both seems good since we've got at least two entries for each challenge prompt. Though either way works for me.

Findswoman , Kit' and Sith-I-5 like this.
  2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I like the idea of two challenges, two votes but won't that mean we'll have the potential to have two winners again and then two challenges again?

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  3. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Yeah, that would be a side effect.

Kit' and Findswoman like this.
  4. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Right, this is exactly what I’m concerned about—it’s fine if the two-challenge thing happens now and again, but I don’t necessarily think it should be the norm for every single time.

So, if we go the two-separate-votes route (which seems to be how the majority is leaning right now), what would people think about having the respective winners do a (virtual) coin toss or “guess the random number” type thing to decide who provides the next challenge? Or collaborate to come up with something? Or just plain duke it out with each other? :p

Kahara likes this.
  5. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Oooo! 72 hour challenge where winner takes all?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    TheRynJedi, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  6. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Duke it out, duke it out! [face_devil] :greensaber::redsaber:

Well, actually I think it would be cool if the winners collaborate both their ideas to create one unique challenge.

7. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Some good ideas here. I suppose, too, when the comes, if there are two winners, I could offer them the option of collaborating, rolling for it, or even doing something like what @Kit' suggests.

Actually, @Kit', I’d be curious to hear more about what you have in mind; what would be the nature of such a 72-hour challenge ? :)

Kahara, gizkaspice and Kit' like this.
  8. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh no! Why do I let my big mouth run away with me?

So you pick a challenge or get a random one from a generator. The two winners have 72 hours to write a short story in any fandom that meets that challenge. Then another 72 hours for everyone to vote/comment. If you fail to meet the deadline then you’re out. If both people do it then it comes down to the votes again.

Kahara, gizkaspice and Findswoman like this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If I win my side, I don't want the responsibility of choosing the next challenge, so while the above is a possibility, it is not a certainty.

Kahara and Kit' like this.
  10. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    All right, everyone! It's VOTING TIME for our not one but TWO (2) Spring 2020 Challenges!!

As agreed on, we'll vote on these separately, so your voting PM to me this time may contain two choices, one for each challenge. (If you prefer to only vote in one of the challenges, that's fine too—just be sure to tell me which one.)

So, now, here are the three (3) stories we have in the running for the Change of Allegiance Challenge:

And here are the two (2) stories we have in the running for the Pets Challenge:

Here's what to do: PM your votes to this sock by 11:59 pm PST on June 23, 2020. (So you'll have about two weeks to read and vote.)

Here's what not to do: vote for yourself, vote using a sock as well as your normal account, vote for something that's not on this list or that is not votable, etc., etc.

Here's when the winners will be announced: on or about June 24 (barring all RL catastrophe).

And here's what will happen with the winners this time. Usually, in this thread, the winner of one season's challenge gets to come up with the topic of the next, but in the likely event that we will have two winners this time, they will get to choose how to come up with the next challenge, using one of the following options:
    • Collaborate on coming up with a challenge together.
    • Volunteer to let just one of them do it.
    • Roll or flip a virtual coin or die for it.
    • Compete for it in a short 72-hour winner-takes-all writing challenge as proposed by Kit'.
    Of course, if it turns out to be just a single winner (and there is a case where that could happen), that winner will simply choose the next challenge, as usual! As always, I'm glad to work with anyone on coming up with challenge ideas if it would be helpful—just shoot me a PM.

So, off we go! Happy reading and voting! :)

Kahara, Sith-I-5 and Kit' like this.
  11. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Hey everyone! Just letting you know there’s one week left to vote on our two Spring 2020 Challenges! (See the post just above for details.) The last day to vote is June 23. So far I have only received one vote for each of the two challenges—any more to come? :D

Kahara and Kit' like this.
  12. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    :eek: Oh no! :eek:

Edit: Vote! Vote people, vote! There are some terrific stories out there!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Findswoman likes this.
  13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Everything all right there, Kit’?

14. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Yeah, it's just been a long day full of marking terrible Year 9 short stories which has left me in a very silly mood. I was just despairing over the fact that there has only been one vote. I suppose the good point is that person (if it stays that way over the next week which I hope it doesn't) can declare themselves the king maker...

And..I'm taking myself to bed before I say/do anything else really stupid - which is likely

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  15. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    I'm going to vote, just need to do some reading first! :)

16. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Ok, finally got around to reading. Votes submitted!

Kit', Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  17. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Just today and tomorrow left to vote, my friends! :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Kit' and Kahara like this.
  18. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Finally voted! :)

Findswoman and Kit' like this.
  19. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    All right, everyone! The votes are in, and it looks like we have two (2) winners, one in each challenge:
    A round of applause and hearty congratulations to both winning authors! [face_party] =D= And, as always, great work by all who took part! :)

Usually the winner of the OC Revolution challenges gets to come up with the thread's next challenge, but since we have two winners this time, we have to figure out how that will work. Here are some possible options the two of you could take:
    • Agree/offer to let just one person choose.
    • Collaborate on coming up with a challenge.
    • Roll a die, flip a coin, guess a number, or similar (random.org is a great place to do this sort of thing).
    • Compete for in a short 72-hour winner-takes-all writing challenge as proposed in this post.
    So, @TheRynJedi and @Kit', please let me know which of these you would like to do, and we'll get right to it! :)

Congratulations once again to the winners, and well done, all! Thanks for another successful and enjoyable challenge. =D=

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    divapilot, gizkaspice, Kit' and 5 others like this.
  20. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Thank you very much. I had been just glad I got a chance to write one of those stories that have been floating in the back of my mind for years. Knowing people liked it too makes me happy. It's great encouragement to remember when I'm feeling uninspired and discouraged.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

divapilot, Kit', Kahara and 1 other person like this.
  21. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, I definitely liked it very much, @TheRynJedi! Congratulations on your well-deserved win and thanks so much for being part of this challenge! =D=

Likewise, hearty congratulations to @Kit' for her well-deserved win! Thank you, too, for being part of this! =D=

Great job by all, and thanks for all you do to keep the OC Revolution alive. [face_dancing]

Kit', Kahara and TheRynJedi like this.
  22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Congratulations to @TheRynJedi and @Kit' for your well-deserved wins! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for our next challenge:D

And kudos to all the authors for this great crop of stories!

23. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Wooohoooo! Squee! That's so exciting and has really made my day. All the stories were so incredible and everyone deserves a round of applause for the amazing stories form this challenge. A massive congratulations to @TheRynJedi for your incredible story. It was terrific.

Kahara, TheRynJedi and Findswoman like this.
  24. Kahara

Mar 3, 2001
    Findswoman and Kit' like this.
  25. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    [face_dancing] WONDERFUL NEWS, FOLKS! NEW CHALLENGE TIME! [face_dancing]

Our two most recent winners, @Kit’ and @TheRynJedi, opted to collaborate on coming up with the next OC Revolution challenge, and what an amazing Summer 2020 Challenge they have devised! Take a look...

They have also provided some awesome “Helpful Hints” to assist you in getting started and perhaps lend some inspiration, and you can see them under this spoiler cut:
    Feel free to draw inspiration from your own experience with language or from the rich treasury of odd sayings from around the world (Just a word of warning from Kit’: googling “Aussie slang” will be very informative and probably inspirational but will also bring up lots of curse words as much of Australian slang is finding ways to show your appreciation of someone by swearing at them).

Remember that your colloquialism should confuse the other characters but should be somewhat possible to understand (i.e. not in another language entirely). As an native Australian English speaker, Kit’ has provided the following examples that go from relatively intelligible to downright confusing.

Probably intelligible:
    “Have a gander/squiz”
    “See you this arvo”
    "I hope your chooks turn to emus and kick your dunny door down."

Somewhat confusing without context:
    "You're just a bunch of sticky beaks"
    "Nah, that thing's cactus."
    "You flamin' galah!"

Nearly Unintelligible:
    "Righto mate it’s like this, you’re havin’ a sunday sesh getting drunk with the boys. Daveo and Steveo are settin up the barbie to cook some snags but ya gas bottle’s carked it! Bazza’s like who’s keen for a maccas run but you had maccas for brekky and Tommo had it this arvo. Then Archie, who’s as mad as a cut snake, goes hey boys I’ll be DD, piles us into the commodore and we all cruise down to Nandos for a feed."

Following our usual schedule, you’ll have eight (8) weeks to write, with stories due on Friday, August 21 at 11:59 PM PST. A voting period of two (2) weeks will follow.

Feel free to ask any questions about the challenge in this thread, though I will very likely be fielding them to @TheRynJedi and @Kit.

Have fun, and happy writing to all! Can’t wait to see what this will produce! :)

Challenge Index:
    The Rule Maker by Kit’ (featuring four original Jedi Masters)

Out-of-Competition:

The Plate by Kit’ (featuring members of the Family of Scoundrels)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020