main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    I don't think I've ever written anything that long in my life! XD

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    That's where the problem is, then: you tell us more here than you do there...and you have the universe in your mind, the concept, but not much gets presented to us. Most of what we get to see sort of fits into many other universes.

I took an allergy pill some thirty minutes ago, so I probably don't make sense right now, but I guess I would just like a) to see it all come together in a form that could stand alone outside of this forum, like, anywhere, b) see what you like to read and how it would influence your subsequent work.

3. Ink.Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    I just have trouble figuring out the best way to approach their story. BECAUSE so much of it is worked out in my head. I don't know where to start or how I'll manage to write them without forgetting my audience doesn't know all the little bits and pieces I do and possibly leaving something out.

I've also never finished a multi-part story I've written so there's that.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If you ever need a beta, shout. ;) I am glad that things I said made sense.

5. Ink.Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    I'll definitely keep you in mind. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I know little about the Galactic Alliance, but if you like, I can do you an intro, landing a couple of my characters on your colony world, and you can take it from there.

Or you can replicate the beginning of Aliens, GA colonial marines drop-shipping to the site of your settlement, then go from there.

7. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Hello, everyone!
    In the name of Star Wars OC's specifically, I do have a few: one that lives in Roleplays, and three in a story...but my main trio hasn't been written with since the year I joined this forum! [face_blush] Erm...Does that count as long as I can say their backstories?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Go for it, tell us about them.

9. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    The new
    Autumn 2015 challenge is here and provided by Findswoman

Write a story in which your character's feelings, choices, and/or actions are influenced by the experience of either hearing or making music (e.g., singing, playing, etc.). Please note the following:
    - This is distinct from a songfic in that the music has to be taking place in-universe.
    - The influence has to come from the music itself, not just the words of a song, though lyrics and melody can work in tandem.
    - Descriptions of specific characteristics of the music (things like volume, instrumentation, tempo, etc.) are highly encouraged but not absolutely required.

Your story must be in before 01-01-2016 00.00 Pacific time
    Voting will be in the first week of 2016

10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Yay, new challenge! I'll participate this time, but first I need to catch up on the latest challenge's entries and everything that happened on this thread over the past, erm... three months? [face_blush]

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    - This is distinct from a songfic in that the music has to be taking place in-universe.

So, music happens in-universe in songfics, and you don't want that here; or music in songfics doesn't happen in-universe, and you do want want it to be in-universe here?

12. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    The latter, I think.

Palps rocking out to the Gungan drums in TPM, reflecting on how much he'll miss such things when he's all shriveled and Sithly, that would be acceptable. Interspersing the Falcon's escape from Mos Eisley with lines from NWA's **** tha Police would not be.

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Exeter pretty much nailed it: the latter is what I'm getting at here. A songfic, as I understand it, is a story someone writes that is inspired by a real-life song, but that real-life song isn't being sung within the story itself; it's just the inspiration for the action and plot of the story.

This challenge, in contrast, involves writing about music and song that's taking place within the universe of the story. Exeter's example about Palpatine hearing the Gungan drums is pretty much spot on.

(And hey, I just thought of another: Sly Moore, annoyed with Palps for kicking her out of his opera box to chat with Anakin, then plots some kind of dramatic revenge based on something from the plot of the opera they'd been watching. Bunny, anyone? :D)

EDIT: Of course, neither of those examples involve OCs. But they do illustrate the general idea.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, thank you. Makes sense now.

(And hey, I just thought of another: Sly Moore, annoyed with how Palps kicked her out of his opera box to chat with Anakin, then plots some kind of dramatic revenge based on something from the plot of the opera they'd been watching. Bunny, anyone? :D)

Speaking of which, Findswoman, I enjoyed your piece with the captured singers made to sing in front of Palpatine.

Findswoman likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

You missed MY challenge. Now start with MY stuff and launching me a satellite, since reading things is NOT going to make up for it, but building my ego in a Turkmenistan manner WILL. :p

I like green satellites.

That is the best short story written on this board in 2015, I think. I have it on my Evernote, so I can re-read it whenever the music I am listening to sort of...matches it. A crazy little masterpiece right there.

Sure it does. Just, if you want to write them, look at this and the last page to avoid the same "trap" I mentioned: you know them, but we don't, so make sure you get all that's in your head in that Word doc, write a story that can stand on its own, without posts from this thread and without giving an isolated feel.

Yup, I just implied that their backstories can be your fics. :)

Ooookieday! *catches a gross thing with a gigantic tongue*

Time to write the OC I hinted in The Black Star. The possessed one.

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    Let me make sure I've got this straight in my head...so, could an acceptable entry to this be something like, an OC hearing some familiar song and reminiscing about the last time he had heard it?

Or if not, how about an OC who starts thinking about a song's lyrics and realizes how similar they are to her situation as it starts playing in her head?

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I think the OC needs to change their actions based on the music.

Simultaneously destroys my idea, which was going to use Tarkin, except he is not an OC. Mm, got to think of something else.

Findswoman likes this.
  18. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    With the challenge being 'music' let's discuss your OC and music. Did he/she like Max Rebo? Or just anyone else? Classic, jizz, pop, house, lazy relax, whatever

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    One my npcs in the Star Wars: Intervention pairing of role-playing games, Nurse Ulrike, is a big fan of Athosian Pop Idol, and watches re-runs of Season Four, when she is off shift.

One of the Wookiees on her ship's hangar crew bought her the first season on holodisc for her birthday.

Findswoman likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Kaagi Adin likes relaxing music after a harrowing day in the ER-room. He followed in this his master during his days as a padawan and has stuck to his preferences. But sometimes he also likes what his son and daughter are showing him.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  22. Ink.Knight

Feb 2, 2013
    Sometimes Jake and Darra sing lullabies or festival songs from their childhood to each other. I imagine it as having a sort of Celtic feel. Always with that slightly mournful note to it, kinda. Like Heather Dale's stuff I figure, not exactly but she was the first one I came up with that wasn't Celtic Woman. Jake might even play the flutes, not sure. The only problem is that her stuff is very much based in Earth mythology so I couldn't cherry-pick a couple of her songs for the fic. My favorite album of hers is very much based in Arthurian mythology especially, but whatever.

23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    My daughter and father OC's, Nalieza and Paurilis Fejier, both like jatz (I simply cannot use the term "jizz" for obvious reasons o_O). They're also fans of traditional Ultraian music (from Paurilis and his wife Maiena's native planet), which I imagine as sounding like Brazilian music, with a particular subset that would sound like Bossa Nova from the 1960's.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  24. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    My OCs, Bree and Blue, like a harder edged music, which I've named urban-rise. (Like leiamoody, I can't handle "jizz." Just no.) Urbanrise would be analogous to a hip hop/ hard rock sound. Bree's Aunt Mara tried to get her interested in opera but it didn't stick. She also has no appreciation for Uncle Luke's 'Rim music - too twangy. Bree's cousin Ben likes Urbanrise too, and he is a little jealous that they got to meet one of the top performers.

They enjoy concerts, mostly popular music, but they will go to a symphony once in a while, though.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Most of my characters prefer classical and instrumental. My Hypno OCs don't really have any musical preference. Prof. Hypno listened to whatever his masters played. If left to his own devices, I can see him enjoying video game music. Maybe some heavy metal, too. Mostly, he'd listen to podcasts and stories.

Lavinnia doesn't have a preference aside from a few bands, specifically Hall & Oates and Rick Springfield.