main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

You're so sweet. [face_love]

Want pics of a dog butt instead? And a bird cloaca?

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'll add my appreciation too:

Thanks so much, Renata. That is very kind of you, and I'm glad you are liking what you're seeing so far. @};-

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    He thinks I spend too much time staring at this glowing box when I could be providing a lap for his evening nap.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Sounds like my pets, then. The bird is likely to attack or yell out "You're stupid!" (I kid you not), the dog is likely to revenge-pee or revenge-poop when it happens.

5. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Congrats on a well-deserved win divapilot! That's really a superior fic. (Yes, I still need to review, but I'll get there eventually!)

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Congrats, divapilot!

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Congratulations to divapilot —wonderful news, and very well deserved!

And kudos to all who contributed to this fine crop of stories. =D=

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Congratulations, divapilot! And I enjoyed the rest of the stories as well; you all did an amazing job. :D

Findswoman likes this.
  10. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    [face_hypnotized]:)[:D]

Thanks, guys!! Tough challenge - Chyntuck and Ewok Poet wrote amazing stories, too.

11. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Congrats, Divapilot! I can't wait to see what you're able to come up with as a challenge.

Kahara likes this.
  12. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Hi everyone! :) This is Kahara, just letting you know that I'll be temporarily managing this sock until earlybird-obi-wan can get regular Internet access. There's been some encouraging news, so that may happen in weeks rather than months, but it's hard to say for certain at present.

Given that I'm also co-managing the Diary Thread (which probably needs updating, my bad [face_blush] ), it would really help to have someone help host here. Anyone who wants to volunteer for that can contact this sock or @Kahara's account.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    We had some very quick volunteers this time. Findswoman will be helping to manage the sock. Thanks so much to everyone who volunteered! :)

14. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Hello all!

divapilot, our winner from the previous challenge, has come up with a wonderful and thought-provoking new challenge for us for spring 2017:

Write a story in which your OC forgets or remembers something important at a critical time.

Stories for this challenge will be due Sunday, April 23, 2017, at 11:59 PM PST. Per usual rules, please do not post links to your completed story in this thread; PM them to this sock instead. And of course, if you have any questions, please let the sock know.

Many thanks, and happy writing! :)

15. OCIndexSock

OCIndexSock Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2015
    Just a reminder to OC writers old and new about the OC Index Thread -- it's the place to keep a list of your OCs, and it hasn't been upped/updated in forever (says the thread manager whose own entry is hopelessly out of date :p)

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, you wouldn't really know when the thing gets updated. Someone pops in to edit something, the thread doesn't get upped.

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Fair point, and I didn't check the last edit date on every single post. My comment was based on the fact that I haven't received an author PM saying "hey, I added more characters to my post" since July 2015 (!)

18. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Here's a random question: have any of you ever taken an OC and leaped them into an original fiction under a different name?

19. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Here's a random question: have any of you ever taken an OC and leaped them into an original fiction under a different name?

20. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    What do you mean, like took a SW OC and turned him/her into a non SW story character?

brodiew likes this.
  21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Yes, like that.

22. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    I've done that. I tried to re-imagine my Blue/Bree stories as outside of SW, but it wouldn't come together for me. And the new OCs I'm working with, I keep thinking of the story as historical fiction WWII story that happens to be currently set in the GFFA.

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I didn't do that yet, but I just might, once I've figured out how to tell my stories without the "magical" aspect. The storylines are just too good to throw away.

Kahara likes this.
  24. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I was thinking about my favorite oc. He is a Jedi but rarely uses the Force. This makes him a candidate for moving into stories of his own outside the GFFA. I think this possible for most ocs, but I've never considered it before.

Kahara likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Let's talk about...faceclaims. I thought I'd show some of mine. I'd totally cast these people as my characters, though I thiiink that only two of them can act.

Pretty Dadanna aka Dadanna Sarkle, the kitschy Sacorrian singer and double agent is supposed to look like the biggest Yugoslav star of the 1980s and early 1990s, Lepa Brena. She starred in a couple of action comedies and was kind of badass in them, and that was an atypical portrayal of women in ex-YU films back then, so I wanted a little tribute to that in my stories.

And if she looks like in the below video, then it's perfect. Big hair and all.

[​IMG]

The clumsy and awkward Vagranite doctor of archaeology Taide Lambrin did not have a faceclaim for a while, but last week, I decided that a perfect face to go along with his personality would be the one of a local journalist and theology/religion scholar, Aleksandar Gajšek. He's got some Bulgarian Greek blood and since Taide is, in a way, a Space!BulgarianGreek, that was fitting. Plus, I named my bird after his television show, Agape.

Other than their devotion to their field of study and the mild-mannered conversational style, they otherwise have nothing in common.

[​IMG]

Garko Garelbi, Dyeke's handsome Human friend from my Before stories, was modelled after some of the roles played by the Italian actor and model Dario Argento, who goes by the name Gabriel Garko. The name is a homage to him, too. He IS supposed to be ridiculously attractive to most women in the story as well, he's the "ladies' man" character, so this faceclaim is not unrealistic.

I have no idea what this man is like IRL, so there is nothing else that my character "inherits" from him.

[​IMG]

Code:Blue and Code:Red were vaguely based off the legendary Brazilian footballers Bebeto and Romário. I was a huge fan of Bebeto when I was a little girl, and as an adult, I noticed how these two were simply stuck with each other in the Brazilian team as polar opposites - everything from their skin colour to their life styles and temperament was the exact opposite of the other.

They do take some of their faceclaims' traits, e.g. one is obsessed with numbers and a party animal, the other is a homebody, fond of animals, sensitive and kind of hyperactive, and both are bumbling politicians after their limmie careers, but there's nothing more than that. :)

[​IMG]

And then, there are my bumbling Toydarians, Taggo and Maggo Gallagho, whose last name I added on the fly, and then asked my mom if those words together sound ridiculous. It was later on that I realised that they fit the media perception and stereotypisation of Noel and Liam Gallagher back in the 1990s, in Oasis' heyday.

(No way I'm photoshopping the Gallaghers on Toydarian faces and bodies, I don't want to scare people!)