main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    My OC Ivano Arvedai wouldn't even try to play a musical instrument. In his youth he was told to do something else when music was on the program at school because of his lack of rhythm and voice

Action: fight a fire

2. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    My OC Tyran Numeck probably wouldnt put out the fire because he probably started it to cover his escape

Action: steal a speeder bike

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My OC's would steal a speeder bike if they needed it for a mission. They wouldn't steal it for profit.

Action: Would your OC kill one innocent person to save hundreds of other innocents?

4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I object to that action, as you'd have to stretch the suspension of disbelief pretty darn far to get an OC (good or bad) to even be in that situation. Kill a guilty person to save innocents, or kill an innocent to free crime buddies? Those are more believable.

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Goodwood it could be as simple as an OC having to go to a mission to stop a bombing, but a cop stops you for speeding. You explain the situation, but he doesn't believe you. You try to escape, but the guy is big and is wrestling you to the ground and you realize the only way to get away is to use the vibroblade in your boot. You feel bad because this guy is just doing his job, but you can't be delayed. So you stab him knowing full well he could die.

But we can change the action to killing an innocent to save another innocent if you would like.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    My OC Jasir Ere-Dun didn't stop his sister Jedi-master Fay when she left his home to help Obi-Wan on his mission to Queyta. He knew that she would be killed by Asajj Ventress but that she would save Obi-Wan Kenobi and milions of innocents when Obi-wan returned to the Jedi with an anti-dote.

Action: have you OC meeting a healer

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  7. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Most of my OC's are Jedi so most likely they would meat a healer, and I have one OC who is a Wookiee healer. Her name is Myykalakkwen.

Action: Take someone hostage.

8. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    My OCs would probably be hired to rescue a hostage instead of take one

action: start a rebellion

9. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    All of my OC's are sympathetic to rebellion and opposed to tyranny, but Anicia Huranz is the only one who was willing to assassinate a corrupt Supreme Chancellor. It didn't work, but she never regretted her actions.

Action: Leave a generous tip at a restaurant

10. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    These have been great to read!

Dee Kannon would leave a generous tip. He grew up in a poor community and I believe I read somewhere that folks in poor communities are more generous with their money (especially if they're sharing within their own community).

Action: go on a blind date set up by his/her best friend

11. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Civriel Giropos went on a couple of blind dates set up by his friends after his girlfriend Ena dumped him. But he wasn't really interested in those girls.

Action: Summons evil spirits and keeps them in a bottle/container to use for their own nefarious purposes

12. Rau_Fang

Rau_Fang Jedi Master star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Wouldn't touch a bottle of evil spirits with a ten foot pole, suspicious lot the Kannons are!

Action: Keep a cat as a pet?

13. Mando-Man

Dec 1, 2008
    Probably wouldnt keep a cat as a pet, Mandos need something a little more ferocious

Action: run for office

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    None of my OCs would run for office.

Action: Would your OC do something silly or stupid for a charity (like a bachelor auction or shave his head for donations...anything the OC wouldn't normally do except for a charitable cause)?

15. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Just a reminder, challenge entries are due Wednesday, May 15th!

Carry on, carry on. :cool:

16. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Nalieza Fejier is/was an actress, and once had to appear in a music vid as part of a charity PR stunt on the part of her studio. Dancing on camera was embarrassing to say the least, but she's a pro and did her job.

Action: Pawn their most precious possession(s) to pay the rent

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    None of my Oc's have anything that would give them enough credits to pay the rent!

Action: Tell the truth even if it got them in serious trouble.

18. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Our challenge has concluded with two entries:

Complications by earlybird-obi-wan

Nothing Good in Goodbye by Thumper09 (ineligible for voting)

Our winner is Earlybird-obi-wan! Congratulations! =D=

We're going to hold off on doing a new challenge for a bit, but when they start up again then Earlybird will be able to choose the first topic.

19. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    We have lots of discussions about our OC protagonists, but let's give some attention to our OC antagonists. Pick an antagonist you've written and tell us about him/her.

Who are they? Why are they in conflict with your protagonist?

Is the antagonist easier or harder for you to develop and characterize?

How do you balance the antagonist's skills or resources against the protagonist's to make them a good match for each other?

How much do you develop your antagonist over the course of the story? How relatable do you try to make him/her for the reader? If it's a "villain", do you keep their characterization relatively simple compared to your protagonist, or do you take the "Wreck-It Ralph" approach of "Just because you a Bad Guy, it doesn't mean that you are a bad guy"?

Tell us about the thorns in your OC protagonist's side!

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I find antagonists to be easier to develop, as it's simply much more fun to delve into one's darker side. One of my antagonists partakes in anthropophagy--eating of sentient (or human-like, as the literal definition says) species. It was really fun to get into his head and rationalize his crimes. It also lent to a bit of squick for the reader with just how comfortable Pepan Manja was with eating another being.

21. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    The only antagonist I've ever developed is one called The Summoner. He started out as some notes in my fanfic, but I've pulled him out and developed him a little bit further in some original fic. His backstory has been developed more in this format to be the creator of a pocket universe where no one can escape...and he's the offspring of some primordial god-figure and a temple priestess, etc.

When it comes to balancing his skills against the protagonist, I've made him a demigod figure who controls his own universe and can change anything on a whim, or even destroy everything if he wants. Usually he just makes it impossible for people to escape back into their own universes by ensuring the exit process doesn't work and splits their personalities into two or more seperate individuals, leaving the original person rather empty. The protagonist's skills are limited to figuring out how to cast spells that prevent their souls from being split apart and maybe avoiding the creation of exit mirrors. It's not a good balance, but I wanted to explore the concept of a vengeful creator figure who cannot be easily thwarted versus individuals who live under the creator's power and must find ways to cope.

The Summoner's characterization is pretty simple: he likes creating and destroying things because he can. He likes inflicting suffering because he likes experimentation on individuals.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Oh my beloved Kay'leb. Luke's brother-in-law, Jedi healer, and my favorite 'bad boy'. He's not a traditional 'antagonist' in the sense that he sets out to be 'evil' but he's definitely a bit of a self centered ***hole at times, and just doesn't see things in black and white all the time - many of my friends and readers either wantt o smack him, or out right hate him, but he's my adore....

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I love to develop antagonists. They are the reason why my protagonists are getting in trouble. One - Anka Dynarsk - was a Jedihealer falling to the dark side after discovering something on Korriban and craving for power. She made the life for Kaagi Adin - my main protagonist - very interesting.
    Others - Direux and Bargony - were modelled after a real life figure having trouble with his factory and causing fire.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    You know, I don't think I ever wrote a fleshed out antagonist. I have bad guys but they are one-dimensional. Maybe that is what I should work on.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've written more than a few antagonists who were not evil, per se. They were a thorn in the protagonist's side, but many times, the characters are merely doing their jobs. Captain Liem Bencar, a warden in Bedlam, was an antagonist, but he was just doing his job. When your protagonist is a criminal, the roles become reversed and you have good guys in the position of bad guys.