main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Those Imperial/First Order bridges with no railings could do with burning...

whiskers and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Tino from MSCL in GFFA. YES.

3. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Sorry - did not see this the other day.

a) You have expectations from me?

b) Who said you were not good? That was not cool of them. :(

galactic-vagabond422 likes this.
  4. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Ewok Poet It's no one in particular just a feeling I get, like I'm screaming into a void. I know people read what I write but, no one likes, no one comments, so it must be one of those don't have anything nice to say sort of situations.

Also you just seem like an intelligent person or at least someone who thinks very differently, most of what I think of is at its core, derivative.

5. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    galactic-vagabond422

There is a definitely a feeling here of screaming into the void for a lot of us, here. But don't for one moment, think that you are not good enough to be here.

If the offscreen OC is a ship which the protagonists are on, I don't know how it fits with the "never physically present" part of the story.

The ship could be off on an errand, and the characters are waiting for it....mmm, inspiration has struck.

6. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    You can write one story for each challenge or just one story for one challenge. One that combines both is sure nice.
    I am very busy these weeks moving my things and I hope my mom will have internet by the time I move to her place. If not I have to wait until my new home is ready and that's somewhere in december.

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    One of the things I first noticed when I joined and started posting my first fic a long WIP that I have yet to take back up was that while I had followers and people that commented many of the comments while great were not what I was hoping for until several members clued me into the concrit rules which was really what I was looking for. I was looking for people to not so much rip my stories to pieces but to offer suggestions on what would work better here or maybe that I was continuing to change tense which is a problem area for me, little things that I use to improve my writing style and really finding my voice when I have a story I want to tell. So perhaps you need to make it known that you welcome any thoughts people might have and that you could discuss those ideas in a PM so they don't clash with board rules.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That, exactly that!

The only thing that I would add is that, when we take the time to review you so thoughtfully and with enthusiasm, you could have a looksie at each separate comment and address it. Essentially, feedback to feedback.

9. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    That can lend itself to some great discussion and debate which is awesome as well as some interesting collaboration. Part of the reason I started being less active in my fan fiction writing and my writing in general is the sort of debate and back and forth we are talking about is great on message boards and during football season(american football) I got more caught up in this type of exchange on an NFL message board and found myself spending more time on there. Although I did try to make a habit of answering any one who left a comment back since this is a way to build up your friendships and relationships with people on the board.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    *nods*

All of that and it leads to improvement. The social media kind of ruined it with the introduction of "like" buttons. People abuse that feature to just get somebody else to read what they wrote or get likes for likes, without even bothering to get to know other artists. I have seen a bunch of offenders on websites like Flickr and deviantART and one just has to suspect that it all happened when instagram got big...

Findswoman likes this.
  11. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Moving for me is done until december when I finally move to my new home.
    And with moving we have a new discussion:

Tell us about your OC and moving (place born, getting married, new job, war, refugee and whatever you come up with to have your OC moving from one place to another)
    What are the things travelling with every move?

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  12. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Interesting question! My two favorite OCs, Blue and Bree, moved a lot in their lives.

Blue grew up on Baroli, where he lived with his family in an upper-middle class, very comfortable home. He then went to university at a very good school on Baroli. Unfortunately he got into serious legal trouble, so he was removed from university and sent to jail for three years. After he was released on parole, he drifted around Baroli for a while before deciding he had no opportunities there at the time due to the restraining conditions of his parole, so he went spaceward. He went as far as his parole stipend took him and eventually found himself stranded, without any money left, in a busy spaceport. He lived on the street there for five months, scavenging and stealing food, begging if he had to. A chance encounter put him on the refugee transport ship Alisander as their medic and that became his home for the next five years. During that time he met Bree and they eventually wound up living together on Naboo. His final home came after his parole ended and he returned to his original district on Baroli.

Because his parole conditions required him to cut ties with his family and friends, he wouldn't have any mementos of that time in his life. The thing that he would have taken with him through each move would probably have been his medic's knapsack, which he received after he completed his war medic's training while he was in prison as part of his occupational training.

Bree lived with her parents, Han and Leia, so she called Coruscant home for most of her early years. When the Vong war started she moved with them to Ossus. She attended university on Corellia, then, after meeting Blue, she settled in a refugee settlement on the chilly planet of Tanis. She lived on Tanis for three years while Blue served on the Alisander, but he visited as often as he could. Then she and Blue moved together to Naboo, and when he finished his parole she moved with him to Baroli, where she assimilated into his culture and homeworld. They raised their children as Barolian citizens, although they kept the ties to her family and visited them often.

Bree brought the usual personal items with her when she went to university, but when she left abruptly and abandoned her schooling she took nothing of personal value with her. Early in their relationship, Blue bought her a necklace - a simple crystal pendant on a leather cord - as his first gift to her. She treasured that necklace, even choosing to wear it on her wedding day over the heirloom Alderaanian jewels that her mom offered her to wear. That's probably the most significant thing that she kept with her on every move.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    My character Lil is on the run, so he moves A LOT. He fled Sacorria and found himself on the outskirts of Coronet City. He spent a year or so there, and then had to escape to Drall, where he lived close to the Boiling Sea. He did not like it there and he saved up to move to Aurea, where he was accepted by the Mardri Soulworks Collective. He thought he found himself a new purpose, but then he got separated from his Aurean friends Coovo and Sayran Ferry during a trip to Nubia. Narrowly escaping those chasing him once again, he turned up on Vagran. We'll see what happens next.

Anjie Mencuri was born in Keren, Naboo; but he moved to Coronet City at the age of five after his parents separated. He lived there for the bulk of the next ~35 years, when a strange series of events occurred.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

14. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    My main OC Darin lived his whole life in the same house and would happily have died of old age in his hometown. But then he became my character. I made him leave to join the Rebellion when he was almost 18 and his hometown turned into a not-so-nice place anymore. Even then, he still didn't really want to go. He gets homesick quite a bit.

Due to his state of mind at the time he left and his expectation that he'd have to travel light, Darin only brought a few things with him, but those few things mean the world to him and he's very protective of them. Everything fits inside a duffel bag that had been used to carry his gear for donri, which is a favorite sport he played in school and in recreational leagues. He's got a few sets of clothes, datacards full of holos and pictures of his family and friends, a ceremonial water flask from his parents' wedding, his younger sister's favorite Cracian thumper figurine, Darin's donri ball and scoop (the basics of donri gear, comparable to a baseball and glove), some ticket stubs of professional donri games he attended with his best friend, the pilot wings pin he received when he got his pilot's license, a sales ad for a transport ship he'd fantasized about buying someday, datacards with his favorite novels, a datapad from his best friend that was a collection of old stories of naval battles from worlds in the Republic, and his visored cap from his former school's donri team, the Smugglers.

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can I request a fanon thread entry on Darin's favourite sport, donri? Now I just have to know what it is. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I haven't worked out all the exact details (though I plan to eventually in later stories or chapters of stories), but Telfien and Glockel are both displaced in one way or another. Like many other Findsmen and Findswomen of her homeworld, Telfien was forced to leave when the Empire invaded her planet, scattered its sacred Mists, and boasted that it had made the Findsmen obsolete (events related in "Between the Porch and the Altar").

For Glockel Sternenkranz, the situation was probably similar, for the Empire also made it to her Outer-Rim homeworld of Nydringia (a planet of my own creation that I promise I'll eventually write up in the Fanon thread). She had taken part in the Junior Spacer Olympics in her youth, so the life of a spacer was a natural next step. Her move away from her homeworld probably took place not too long after the events of "There is no death!" (about which I won't say much here, since that would spoil the story, but they involve Glockel's uncle on her father's side, the Jedi Purge survivor Wym Sternenkranz).

During much of their career together, Telfien and Glockel are itinerant independent agents who move from one place to another as a matter of routine, though they do find at least part-time sojourn and employment at the court of Great Bonvika the Hutt (see, e.g., "In Search of a Hutt's Dinner Music"). There is a chance that one or both will, in future, have the opportunity to return to their respective homeworlds and take measures toward setting things (at least partially) right.

Now, oddly enough, Telfien and Glockel first met each other before either of them became displaced—and that meeting will be recounted in a future story. :D

Ewok Poet and divapilot like this.
  17. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I can try. :) I'm not very familiar with the fanon thread so I'll check that out. The closest real-world comparison is probably lacrosse.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    It has been my habit to establish a base of operations for game and fic characters at the earliest opportunity, so I needed to stop and think about it, to realise that yes, there must have been periods when they moved location.

My three most notorious transplants, to me anyway, were the three characters that originated in the MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game), Everquest.

Yavinelf Dangerrescue was my first. A half-elf Rescue Ranger, he was born on the Eastern side of the Continent of Antonica, with the compact woods of Surefall Glades.
    He quickly outgrew areas that were close to him, and operated out of a Guard Tower out on the green plains at one time.
    The tower was big enough to house two Guard npcs, and if Yav was out hunting, and got over-powered to the point that he had to run away to survive, he either crossed into another zone (run to zone!) or legged it back to the Guard Tower, where the npcs would automatically cut down the pursuing lion or whatever.

I felt comfortable sitting Yav cross-legged in the tower and let him heal up, or "camp" when I had to go offline, till that one fateful day when I had him sitting crosslegged in the tower, facing the front opening, and looking out through his eyes, spotted a tiny yellow something, moving on the horizon.
    I had nothing else to do, and Yav was healing, too weak just now to safely leave the tower anyway, so I'm free to puzzle over what the heck it was.

Minutes pass, and it is clearly getting nearer, resolving in shape, till I realise that it is a Griffin, eagle-headed winged lion thing. Mm. I normally steer clear of those. That's why I sit here, and not out on the plains...mm, getting the distinct feeling that he is coming here. Uh, guys, that thing is on a collission course!

The blasted thing attacked my half-elf inside the Guard Tower whilst two npc Guards hacked at its flanks with broadswords. I don't know how many hit points it had, but one of them could kill a lion or frankly most other creatures with one sword strike, but two of the them were hacking at this thing; it's flapping wings blocked the only exit from the tower, so Yav was cornered, standing and fighting back with his sword.

I was a bit paranoid after that, and only lasted there for two more sessions, and soon after, he took on a dangerous journey to reach the newly discovered island of Kunark.

He crossed to the beaches of North Freeport, evading Sand Giants, ignoring crocodiles, and staying well clear of Desert Madmen, and these wierd black spirit things that preceded the Harry Potter Death Eaters by several years.

He passed an aerial city on several trees, where a species of elf lived. He and I were not good with heights, so we didn't touch that place with a sterilised bargepole.

Eventually reaching a set of docks, he waited for this broken down ghost ship called the Bloated Belly, all damp wood and tattered sails. It was a twenty minute voyage through mysterious mists - Core forbid you fell in the water and had to swim!
    On future such voyages, I commandeered the adjacent screen to the one I was playing on within the internet cafe, to do game research in order to assist players who had fallen into the water and were swimming aimlessly, and just helplessly shouting into the zone for assistance. The boat crossed through about three zones, so I had to be very quick to research and shout back an answer before the boat zoned away.

So, the boat docks at Kunark, but elves are KOS (Kill On Sight) there, so Yavinelf had to jump ship just before it docked, swim to the shoreline, and run at the bottom-most part of the sloping shore, just out of sight of the local npcs, and run through whatever that zone was called; through the middle of a geographical trench in the next zone; and then zone into Warslik Woods, a thickly wooded area inhabited by magically powered goblins and Bigfoot-type creatures, regarded by level 60 characters as highly dangerous, Yav was only level 9!

My half-elf basically had to swim around the shoreline, too dangerous to be on land.

Ah, just remembered, his soul was bound back in Freeport, so if he died on this mission, he would materialise in his birthday suit back in Freeport, have to run to the bank, get whatever backup second-rate armour and weapons I had stored there, and retrace the voyage to the point where his body was, to get his stuff back, before it disappeared.

Any of those poor souls that fell in the water and drowned, they were ******.

To be continued, as I have to get ready for work.

19. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    whiskers, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    So, since having written ^^ that, I guess I have two new OCs and I will add them to the discussion.

Mirany doesn't like moving. She is from a small city on the quiet planet of Marfa. She lived there until she met the love of her life, Kash. Once she fell in love with him, she did a brave thing and left everything she knew and moved away with him. Being a sentimental sort, she kept mementos of her life; a holoportrait of her family and a bracelet that her grandmother had given her in particular. She soon discovered that life with Kash, a Force sensitive always one step ahead of the Empire, was a life on the run. They traveled frequently, never quite putting down roots, saving only enough money to secure travel to the next place and start all over again. Because of the constant moving and the necessarily secretive nature of their life, Mirany could not keep in contact with her family or form any lasting friendships. This made her more dependent on Kash than she wanted to be.

[​IMG]

Kash was born a few years before the fall of the Republic. He was identified as a Force sensitive shortly after his birth on Dantooine and was brought to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant to begin his training. Unfortunately, he was not as skilled in the Force as others in his age group, and as such he did not become selected for further advancement as a padawan. Kash was assigned to the Agricultural Corps at age 13. By age 16, however, he had become disillusioned with what he perceived to be the Jedi's apparent hero worship of certain members of the Order while others like himself were considered less important, if not irrelevant. He made the bold move to step away from the only life he had ever known and resigned from the order. As it turned out, soon afterward the Jedi fell as the Empire arose. Kash made his way through odd jobs on different planets, eventually coming to work at a small factory in the same town where Mirany lived, on Marfa. They met, fell in love, and decided to try to build a life together as they evaded the Imperial Jedi hunters.

For all his moves, Kash took nothing with him but his clothes and essentials. He needed to be able to travel lightly as he was essentially living on the run.

[​IMG]

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Excited to know these two's backstories. Kash's is close to what I assumed for him and Mirany's, well, I had no expectations but what was told here shows how big the sacrifice she is making for Kash is.

Findswoman likes this.
  22. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Moving is for me a few weeks away. Internet will be there (I hope) on january 11 in the new year and the moving of my stuff will begin in the second or third week of januar.
    Moving is a lot of work.
    My OC's moved a lot during their treks and met difficulties too.
    Tell us more about new hopes for your OC after she/he has moved

Kahara likes this.
  23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Moving OCs, hmm? I am only just beginning my first Star Wars fanfic, though I've written somewhere in the neighborhood of two dozen Trek fics. That being said, moving is really no biggie for my OCs, as most of them are Starfleet officers or have otherwise ship-centric lives, and so are perpetually on the move.

24. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Still very busy with moving but it's New Year and time to vote
    We had the OC-challenge running and there are three great entries eligible for voting.
    With my internet getting tricky access after 01-10 you have just 6 days to vote; Deadline is sunday 01-08 00.00 pacific time

Write a story featuring an OC who is never physically present in the story but still manages to influence the events and outcome in a pivotal way. The character can be absent from the scene for any reason the author chooses, including death. (NB: it's OK for the character to be perceived in some other way—e.g., heard over a comm call, heard through a nearby doorway, sensed in the Force, etc.—as long as the character is never actually seen in person "onstage.")
    Thanks so much!
    Finds

From whiskers:
    One of the things I remember most about a favorite autobiography of mine was that the athlete recalling another person that trained with him. He had mostly nice things to say, but his main criticism has always stuck out: "he has burned bridges that he should have just looked back at."

My challenge is this: your character burns the proverbial with someone and there is no turning back from it. They may regret it, or they may not, the choice is up to you.

Challenge Stories:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark by divapilot

Life, Death and Other Goals by Ewok Poet

The Lost Artist by Chyntuck

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I was looking over the story board the other day, and it occurred to me that way back when, when I first came on, there weren't many OC centered stories, but there were a lot about the Canon Characters: Luke, Leia, Han, the Solo Twins, Anakin, Padme, etc. Now, there are lots of OC centric stories, and they aren't the dreaded Mary Sues, but interesting, well-thought out characters with interesting storylines.

I haven't had a chance to read everything properly, but I am amassing a long list of stories that I really need to sit down and pay attention to. When the cat stops walking in front of the keyboard & sticking his butt in my face.

So, YAY to the OC writers! It is wonderful to have such an embarassment of richness!=D=

Chyntuck, divapilot, Kahara and 3 others like this.