Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.
Thanks @Raissa Baiard & OC sock. PM to sock away!
Wow, thanks for sending that in so expeditiously, @Vek Talis ! So now, folks, I'm pleased to announce that Vek has provided us with our Spring 2019 Challenge:
Your OC is faced with a moral dilemma in the form of a crisis. Solving it the way her/his morals urge them to solve it will almost certainly alienate a close colleague (could be a lover, a platonic friend, someone your OC relies on in other ways, etc, but someone close). What will your OC do?
Stories are due in about four months, on Wednesday, May 29, at 11:59 pm PST.
Any questions, just ask. Happy writing to all!
Community by TheRynJedi
I like challenge but the due date seems like forever from now. Why so long between challenges. Not that I have taken part in recent months.
Well, considering how long it’s been taking me to finish stuff lately, and the story in particular I’m brainstorming that may fit this challenge... I might have it done by then?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Answering as myself since on mobile again:
Part of it is indeedto accommodate people who take a long time to plan and write stories on account of RL, as @TheRynJedi says. I am often one of those myself. But also, the challenge lengths are different for different threads and challenge types in order to keep the deadlines from conflicting with each other—that is, so the deadline for this challenge won’t be too close to that of the current OTP challenge or the current Fanon challenge, etc. (That helps me keep better track of them too.)
01. My oldest OC is the Mandalorian Jedi Kyber Acyk, who I created back in 2002
02. My newest OC is Jedi Initiate Tarlucuy Ornil-Nilim, born in 8107 CRC
03. I love all of my OCs - it is really hard to pick just one as my favourite
04. It definitely has to be Hirani, my Lethan Twi'lek Sith Lady; every inch of her body is covered in intricate Sith tattoos (which is why she often strips naked and poses on plinths as a living piece of art for her Master)
05. The main reason that I create my OCs is to allow my creativity to flow, along with having characters to place in the countless situations that my imagination comes up with
06. I design my OCs by following a simple process; I take a base sentient species and wonder what they would do in certain situations
07. Not at the moment
08. Kyber Acyk and Talik Acyk
09. It has to be Akiwjoce Ornil-Nilim, one of the family's Jedi Historians - she wears bright and vibrant robes, lives in a large treehouse, has a huge collection of exotic pets that she has found on her adventures across the galaxies and believes in love and attachment
10. I would say that the Light Sith branches of Clan Acyk and Clan Nilim are villains, but only towards those whom they deem undesirable and the incarnation of pure evil itself
11. Sometimes I am, but sometimes I put them through utter hell just to see how they react
12. I killed off four characters so far - Bal'boko Nilim and Zek'sovo Nilim (identical twins); Tasko Acyk (a Jedi Ace starfighter pilot) and Ovasu Eyan (an immortal Dark Lady of the Sith)
13. Nearly every OC of mine is a parent (whether the children are biological, adopted or foster)
14. I feel I have been neglecting the offspring of my OCs lately - I need to get back to writing the galaxy as it is seen by young children
15. It definitely has to be Jedi Master Tavrie Ubris Ornil-Nilim; being a Neti, she is over 6000 years old and an extremely powerful and skilled warrior, and I always have difficulty in using her in role-plays, due to the fact that she may be seen as overpowered
16. The tallest would have to be Tavrie (when she is in tree form she can grow to about 40ft) and the shortest is Jedi Historian Pawruja Ornil-Nilim (being 5ft and earning her the nickname of Pocket Rocket)
17. The oldest is Tavrie, being over 6000 years old, while the youngest is Tarlucuy (being eight years old)
18. I love all of my OCs to pieces
19. I am guilty as charged - Kyber shares all of my hobbies, interests and flaws
20. I really regret killing off Bal'boko and Zek'sovo - I was suffering from bad depression at the time and gave the twins a really gruesome and horrible death and now I wish I hadn't, so I may atone for this by rewriting their ambiguous ending and saying that they survived their ordeal
21. I did not expect Tavrie to become as popular as she has in my fan fiction - being as old as she is, she had countless adventures from one side of the galaxy to the other
22. I did not expect to love Akiwjoce - I really thought she would turn herself into a hippie, but she has shown herself to be a really good brawler and wielder of the Force
Hi, folks! Been a little while, hasn't it? A few announcements and the like
First, there's just under two weeks remaining on this thread's Spring 2019 challenge, which comes due on May 29! Looking forward to seeing what will come in.
Second, if anyone else is up for tackling the OC Meme, I invite you to continue to do so—I've been enjoying reading other people's commentary on their OCs! In fact, I may do a little mini-index of the responses within that post, just because it could be an interesting reference of sorts.
Thirdly, and related, if anyone is up for a new discussion topic: What's it like for you to describe your OCs to other people who are unfamiliar with them? "Other people" can be other fanfic writers, readers, RL friends, relatives, or anyone else, really. Would love to hear anyone and everyone's perspectives (and anecdotes)!
I don;t do this much outside of comment/review replies. I don't how it would come about unless I am seeking a sounding board or trying to work through a challenging aspect of the character. The only other situation I could imagine is perhaps OC sharing. I have long wondered what another author would make of my OC Lens Eli, but OCs can be precious to their creators which makes such sharing difficult. It's totally understandable. I just don't have those kinds of inhibitions.Is it possible I would dislike of find fault with another author's version. Sure. But I know who Lens is. I also wouldn't put him into the hands of just anyone. Probably, off topic. I'll stop.
Huh, well, I intended to answer the Meme thing, but never got around to it. Working actively on the Challenge story, will have at least the first chapter posted this weekend probably.
That's great to hear, @TheRynJedi! Looking forward.
I've started drafting some responses to the OC meme. I'd forgotten how many questions there were—it's possible I may pick and choose.
Hi again, all. Just under a week left for our spring 2019 challenge, due on May 29! Let's see what you've got!
OK, I’m going to tackle this meme. I’m going to pick and choose a bit, since there are so many questions here and I don’t have good answers for all of them:
1. Oldest (I'm guessing that means "first OC created by me"): Telfien Viurraanvi, Gand Findswoman, onetime and apprentice and friend of Zuckuss.
2. Newest: Lualani’Draba’Takiil “Lua,” Drabatan seamstress living offworld, mother of Paodok’Draba’Takat “Pao” (the “Karabast! AT-AT!” fellow in Rogue One).
3. Favorite OC: Oh come on, don't ask me this—it's like being asked to name your favorite child.
5. Main reason for making OCs: It’s kind of a way of personalizing the GFFA, making my own little mark there.
10. Villain OCs: Some of my antagonists in no particular order: Fengor Ng’xvi-Ta’al-Lhúd (Zuckuss’s father), Rufozald and Porfozald Marballees, Moff Smodas Belphagor (who is really a joint OC with @Raissa Baiard), Moff Melvadora Waddsley. Also the Imperial guards in “Opus Sixty-Six,” the stormtroopers in “Between the Porch and the Altar,” and the Tusken warrior narrator in “Graceful as Water.”
11. Would you consider yourself nice to your OCs? Generally, yes, because I love them. <3
12. An OC I’ve killed: Shulma’s family members and shaman friends were all created with the understanding that they would eventually perish in the Siege of Lasan. ( ! ) Telfien’s parents are killed by their pocket colony governor’s henchmen in The Book of Gand. Also, the premises of “Opus Sixty-Six,” “Graceful as Water,” and “There is no death!” required that their OC protagonists (respectively the musicians Jefson and Miarla, the Tusken maiden, and the Human Jedi Wym Sternenkranz) be killed off.
13. Are any of my OCs parents? Yes, several: Lua (Pao’s mother), Ormgar and Yokheva (Shulma’s parents), Rufozald Marballees (Porfozald’s father), Fengor and Otila (Zuckuss’s parents), Viurraanvi and Lekli (Telfien’s parents), Diva Marquisha (Soozoo’s mother), and Stanislauff “Stann” Rzewanczkowski (AU!Female!Revan’s father).
14. OCs I find myself neglecting: Maybe Bonvika and some of the people who work for her, and some of the Gands. I could probably do more with Glockel, too.
15. An OC that's difficult to write: The villains and antagonists often are the hardest for me (see #10 above).
16. Tallest and shortest: The shortest would probably either my Squib sibs, Gleebaloola and Deebeeneebeedee Fhlaskhalhoosa, or my Ugnaught hardware store owner, Grug’ag’pyg’naq. Tallest from head to foot (!) is probably my mahvelous Hutt, Bonvika Deseradii Feolla.
17. Oldest and youngest: I'm not sure about the oldest; it may be Bonvika just by virtue of her being a Hutt. But the youngest is probably my preteen Theelin, Soozoo, daughter of Diva Marquisha (Bonvika's majordomo).
18. Do I dislike any of my OCs? Probably mainly the villains and antagonists (see #10 above).
19. Have I ever made a self-insert? Why, yes, that would be Shulma, of course: long-haired, cerebral woman who’s prone to headaches!
Okay, I'll give this meme a go...
1. Oldest: Raissa Baiard and Doran Blayne. There were probably a couple that came before them, but those stories are best lost to the mists of time
2. Newest: Noelani Syndulla-Jarrus and her Loth-wolf companion, Sashi
3. Favorite: Well, given that my user name is the same as hers, you can probably guess that it's Raissa
5: Reason for creating OCs: Because the story I want to tell requires them. I mean, you can't tell the story of Mara's parents without creating them, or write about Zeb's early life on Lasan without giving him a family.
8. Favorite OC ship: tie between Raissa and Doran and Ronen and Noemi.
9. Weirdest OC: hmmm....either Dudu the Wise, Bendu's hippy-dippy surfer dude twin, or Evie, the sentient caf-maker who falls in love with Chopper (and later Zeb)
10: Villain OCs: Moff Caius Cassius and his goons,; Verraro the Hutt; Gertris Magrivray, the "sweet old lady" who turns out to be an animal abusing slythmonger, Prefect Ari Renau, Raissa's amoral predecessor; Rominaria Winstar-Worplesdon, Mara's mean girl "best friend"; Dack Vinolo, prep school bully who torments Ronen, various stormtroopers, Hutt-goons and bounty hunters
11. Would you consider yourself nice to your OCs?
This. Also, I feel compelled to make it up to them when the story requires them to suffer
!2. An OC you've killed: I've never actually killed anyone "on-screen". The closest I've come is Linel Blye in Star Crossed whose first "on screen" appearance is as a dead body.
13. Are any of my OCs parents? Yep, Doran and Raissa have three children: Mara, Nick and Annina. Ronen and Noemi will have at least one child, Noelani, and the Loth-wolves, Rama and Raksha have Sashi, plus at least two other unnamed cubs.
14.OCs you find yourself neglecting: Shai Orrelios and the residents of Giaca in All Our Yesterdays
15. An OC you find difficult to write: Maximus Ordo is proving to be a challenge, because Mando, and because how Sabine sees him is different from how I know he is.
16. Tallest and shortest: The tallest is probably Shai Orrelios, the shortest...hmm, that's tough because I've written characters at different ages, so the shortest is probably infant Caleb Bridger, though Noelani is shortest in her original appearance (since Caleb was 18 in his first appearance).
17. Oldest and youngest. Oldest--Verraro the Hutt. Youngest--same as above for "shortest".
18: Do you dislike any of your OCs? In the sense that I wish I hadn't made them, no. As in, dislike them personally--Gertris Magrivray, Rominaria Winstar-Worplesdon, and Dack Vinolo are all horrible people that I'd hate to be trapped in an elevator with. Some of the others are more villainous, but at least they're honest about it.
22. An OC you didn't expect to love: Ronen! I didn't expect when I wrote the first little "introduce a new OC" short story that he would just take off and develop into such a distinct personality.
Last day to submit to the spring 2019 challenge, everyone!
And since that last day has come and gone with no submissions yet, I think I'll extend the deadline a week: you now have till 11:59 PM PST on June 5.
Ok, started posting my entry:
All right, everyone! Our spring 2019 challenge has now concluded, with a single entry: Community by @TheRynJedi. This means that TheRynJedi is by default the winner of this challenge! As such, she is invited to PM this sock to provide this thread with its next challenge (I'm glad to help in any way if needed).
Congratulations, Ryn, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Congratulations @TheRynJedi! This was another tough challenge!
Thank you. Now I just have to finish writing the end of the story, lol. Then I'll see what I come up with, probably something that I want to write about
1. My oldest OC is Helene Dupont, girlfriend to TinTin. Came up with her story back in 2008-ish.
2. Newest OCs are Rhiannon and Thrass Hektor, Thrawn and Minerva's children. At the moment, Rhiannon is three years old and Thrass is four months. (LilRebelArt drew them for me.)
3. Favorite OC is Minerva because over the course of "Ballad of the Winter Rose" I have developed her character nicely, considering that BOTWR was originally going to be a Thrawn/Clara story.
4. Favorite: Minerva because she's smart and a badass.
5. Fave OC shipping: Minerva and Thrawn obviously! Just look at my avatar!
1. Oldest OC I think is Mark Tantiss.
2. Newest OC is Taz from The Journal of Marcus Indupar.
3. Mark Tantiss is by far my favorite OC.
7. I have not shipped my OC' with anybody else's OC, but I have shipped them with canon characters.
8. My favorite OC ship is Mark Tantiss and Kira Starkos.
11. I am very nice to my OCs.
12. The only OC's I have killed off were Kira Starkos' parents and they were old.
13. Yes, Mark and Kira Tantiss are parents to Talon and Jaden Tantiss. Talon has fathered Marcus Indupar (with his first love Ema) and years later he married and had three children with his wife Zylie. Marcus (grandson of Mark Tantiss) got married and had a child. So I have four generations of OCs.
16. Mark Tantiss is my tallest OC. I am not sure who is the shortest.
19. I am not sure what you mean by self-insert. I have never put myself into a story, but my stories sometimes mirror my life. This is especially seen in my OCs Mark and Talon Tantiss. I had Mark's military training to copy mine with him going to the Star Wars version of Airborne school and Jungle school.
21. I didn't expect Mark Tantiss to be popular because he at first was a possible love interest for Mara Jade. L/M shippers didn't like that at all. Later they realized that Mark was the biggest L/M shipper of them all. He actively played matchmaker to our Star Wars power couple.
22. I didn't expect to love my Harch OC because I hate spiders. I really can't say I love him, but I don't hate him.
It gives me great pleasure to announce that @TheRynJedi has provided us with our Summer/Fall 2019 Challenge, which is as follows:
"Write your OC’s origin story. Doesn’t have to be their life story, maybe a story of how they became who they are now, or a step along the way, something that happened that greatly influenced who they are."
Per our usual schedule, stories will be due in about four months, on Wednesday, November 13, at 11:59 PM PST.
Any questions, just ask. Happy writing to all!
(ETA 10/8/2019: Going forward, I'll be putting the name of the featured OC of each story in the challenge indices, similar to the way pairings are listed in the indices in the OTP thread.)
Sparks by Findswoman (featuring Shulma Trilasha)—out of competition
I have an idea for this... or, rather, I should say that I can easily marry this challenge to an idea I already had. Thank you, @TheRynJedi ! Now DRL just has to cooperate...
I have all kinds of ideas, but the OC story I'm currently working on is non-SW and not TOS compliant, so might not have anything to submit for this competition. May finish the one I started for the last competition, maybe.
Just by way of reminder, we're now at the half way point for the Summer/Fall 2019 Challenge—two months left to write those origin stories, due November 13.
Also, since it's been a while and the thread's been quiet, I thought we could play a little game to get to know each other's OCs a little better. Welcome to...
The OC Revolution Ask Game!
Do you know those Tumblr and Pinterest "OC ask game" things where a person posts a numbered list of questions on their blog and their followers can send them a number and the name of one of their (the poster's) OCs and they'll answer that question about that OC?
Well, I thought we could try that out here in this thread, though in somewhat altered form, as a kind of round robin or chain. It would go like so:
A numbered list of twenty (20) questions will be posted below in this post.
Someone replies, in the thread, with: (a) the username of someone from this forum who's written OCs, (b) a number from the list, and (c) the name of one of the OC's written by the person tagged in (a).
The person tagged in (a) responds to the question, and then tags another user and gives that person a number and an OC.
And so on and so forth.
User A posts "@ User B, 9, Padawan McGillicuddy."*
User B responds with something like, "Oh yes, McGillicuddy is an excellent dancer, he won the Jedi Temple Ballroom Championship three years in a row!" and then goes, "@ User C, 8, Foofoo Scroggins."
User C responds, "Foofoo is a happily independent smugger who only sides with herself," then: "@ User D, 3, Q-H2O."
And so on and so forth.
*These are all just example names, of course—any resemblance to the OCs of anyone here is purely coincidental!
Some additional rules and guidelines (insert Captain Barbossa meme here):
People may ask the same question(s) more than once—questions aren't "out" once they get asked.
People may ask the same people more than once, though within reason (like, let a few other people have a go first).
If you are uncomfortable answering a given question, you may request that the asker pose a different one, or that the asker ask someone else (though they get to choose who).
ETA Oct. 13, 2019: If a user does not respond to the game within ten (10) days of being tagged, the user who originally tagged that person will be asked by the sock to tag someone else.
As always, be respectful and a good sport. But you all already know that, I know!
1. Are they more introverted or extroverted?
2. Are they more a morning person or an evening person?
3. What does their voice and/or accent sound like?
4. How do they feel about speaking in public?
5. What would bring them to tears?
6. What is their biggest fear?
7. What cheers them up when they're down?
8. Whom do they side with in the Galactic politics of their era?
9. Are they a good dancer?
10. Is their personal space neat or messy?
11. Do they have a high or low tolerance for pain?
12. Do they enjoy space travel?
13. What would be their perfect vacation?
14. Do they have any artistic talent (in any kind of art)?
15. What kind of family situation do they come from?
16. Are they interested in romance?
17. Are they interested in having kids?
18. Are they Force-sensitive in any way?
19. What is their attitude toward death (their own and/or other people's)?
20. Ask a question that's not on this list!