main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh no, there are people at Lucas Film who are very aware of this site, we've had tables at Celebrations/huge parties that LFL were aware of (we had to get permission for some things), some of our admins have had relationships with people at LFL. I've even met Mary Franklin who is the Sr. Events Manager for LFL, I was introduced to her as a mod here (she wouldn't remember who I am). They are great with fan groups/sites and are okay with fanfic and fanfilms.
    The rule has nothing to do with LFL, it's all from the owner of this site.

Anyway, we've pulled this a bit off topic, apologies! I'd be happy to talk about this further in the social thread or via PM.

2. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999

I guess my point is, if they wanted to, LFL/Haus of Maus could shut this site down in a second.

But yes, anyway...are we talking about LOVE! this month or what? :p

Chyntuck and mavjade like this.
  3. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Raissa and Doran are definitely a ship :) I don't plan to have them truly get together just yet, but they've always been intended as a couple. In fact, they are meant to be the parents of a prominent Legends character (and it's always surprised me that no one has noticed this when Doran gives his true name in the last scene).

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  4. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Raissa Baiard -- Oh, I noticed that! :) Wasn't sure if it was still intended to be who I think it is, but since the Clone Wars got smooshed time-wise and thus kind of changed the chronology from what we kind of thought it was (see how Corran's dad was like 10 when he had him by the canon dates -- which is hopefully not the case!) I wasn't sure if they were that same person's parents still.

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    *zooms over to re-read*

*zooms back*

I...

You...

Really??

Aww! :)

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I think the original topic was non-SW OCs, but eh, shipping is still fun to talk about! :p

My OC ships were shipped by someone else. Lavinnia, my nearly-blind feral female Hypno, was shipped with my RP partner's shapeshifter character. That was a crack!ship that became an OTP. Prof. Hypno's ship came from the same person and is shipped to the same RP partner's character. Another third-party ship that became an OTP.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Oh, topics aren't set in stone. Anything OC-related is cool. If people are taking off on tangents, it's fine as long as it stays within the thread's purpose. Though I'll suggest to earlybird (if I can remember) the shipping thing as a topic for February.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999

Two of my OC's became a full-blown 'ship thanks to ginchy. I made passing mention of an engagement in a holiday fic and it spawned a hearty 25K word tale that fleshed out the relationship. Unfortunately, it's a distant sequel to something I'm still currently working on (and because I hate seeing fic abandoned, I refuse to post before a fic is done), so it'll be a while before it sees the light of day.

ginchy likes this.
  9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Gotta love those ships by proxy. I don't think I've ever really shipped my OCs until other people started shipping them, either with other OCs of mine or with OCs of other people.

Kahara and taramidala like this.
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Hehe. I noticed, actually, but I was hoping it was only a coincidence, because it means that the sequel will have an unhappy end.

And yes, 'ships... I'm all for it :)

Back on topic. I'm working on transposing my original fic OC in the SW universe. Extravagant Greek hairdresser meets the GFFA. It's an interesting exercise. :p

Kahara likes this.
  11. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Sheesh. All I write is ships. I'm so boring. But I like to write ships between human/near-human just to play up the differences.

Kahara likes this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    My OC will be too young to be shipped with anybody, once I get to the story involving her...I think. Then again, you guys just gave me an.incredible.idea! OMG, if I didn't have this much work, I would be writing four stories at once, plus some poetry. I want a clone.

As for the topic discussed on the previous page - as an ace, I don't get sexuality the way most people do and therefore homoeroticism or any major eroticism for the sake of it, based on tension that doesn't exist is something I see as a grotesque parody. On the other hand, actual relationships are something where I'm gender-blind, both in real life and fiction. Love whomever you want, whoever completes you. <3

Kahara likes this.
  13. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Yeah, "Doran's Place" is based on a lot of assumptions from the pre-AotC novels (Jedi can marry, Jedi initiates can visit their families, becoming one with the Force is not unusual) and a timeline in "A Guide to the Star Wars Universe" which has the Clone Wars ending 35 BBY and Anakin's birthdate as 55 BBY. I had thought about ret-conning to make it more canon-compliant, but felt that it would change the story too much, particularly if I went with the non-attachment doctrine. Doran might cheerfully flout the rules, but Alyse never would :)

I actually have a canon (or rather Legends canon) version of their story that is pretty bittersweet, and and AU version where everyone gets to live happily ever after. :D

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  14. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Raissa Baiard, *Jedi handwave* You want to write the happily ever after one! [face_laugh]

Regarding OC ships, I have a few planned but none written yet. The closest I've come is to speculate a few non-canon pairings in an AU story, which isn't the same.

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    Ships will be the discussion topic next month with valentine's day and spring coming but we have with January about half way another discussion

Your OC and a diary.

For many years we have the dear diary challenge.
    Has your OC kept a diary?Will your OC write one this or next year?

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    My OC is a writer, so she is keeping a diary. I have to remember as I write it that my OC doesn't always see things clearly, though. Some of what she reports will be a bit inaccurate until she figures things out. Right now she is seeing some warning signs but she is choosing to ignore them.

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  17. Ink.Knight

Ink.Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Jake and Darra don't really have the spare resources to keep a diary. So no, not really. If I ever really explore the other characters I have in the story I think Dr. Ilesar will have a journal, as much to record treatments she's given in their travels as the travels themselves. Tobe, the pilot, might have one. He's young and excitable so I could see him keeping a diary of their adventures.

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    None of my characters keep a diary, though with how Prof. Hypno's depression will end up spiraling out of control once his boyfriend leaves Team Rocket, maybe he should keep a diary.

...It's not too late to start a DDC, is it? >.>

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    My primary OC is a historian of a sort, so it would be useful for her to keep a diary as she continues her training in that discipline, but she does not. Her mother, another OC of mine, did keep one for many years, and some of the entries are woven into the writing. Neither will ever be a formal DDC entry, however. I, as an author, could not possibly keep up.

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, I don't think I could keep up a proper DDC entry, either. I'm entertaining the thought of doing a diary-like story or a log or something, but I don't think I can do a proper DDC.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    One of my OC's, Palai Cerunna, kept several diaries about her life as a courtesan and her eventual escape from that life into something larger. She ultimately published an edited version of those diaries and got on the bestseller list.

There was another OC, Nellith Kaido, that kept a bunch of scribblings that were intended to be an instruction manual for Force users seeking knowledge of the ultimate truth about life and death in the GFFA. I started that as a DDC entry this year but quickly realized it was a dumb idea, so I stopped.

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Having a diary for one of my OCs -- either the protagonist or secondary characters -- is something I discussed at great length with friends here, but I finally settled against it because there's only so much one can tell about the same story. Nyota's Heart of course had a few great suggestions for spin-offs (listen to me, you'd think I'm LFL incarnate!) and I had an idea for a new OC who would be very peripherally related to my main fic, but then there's the issue of time. I'm not a seat-of-my-pants writer at all and I'm obsessed with having a good plot, so writing a diary twice a month in addition to my main fic felt just too much. I might do it next year when I'm done with my main fic though.

Ewok Poet, Kahara and taramidala like this.
  23. OCIndexSock

OCIndexSock Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2015
    Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll drop mine in once I get some stuff written and on here.

Findswoman likes this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Same-sex relationships hold zero appeal for me. The one I actively write are ships with large age gaps because I tire of the 'dirty old man' and 'gold digger' nonsense.