main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The *Official* 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Omega, Nov 14, 2022.

?

Who will win the tournament?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2022.
  1. Argentina

15.6%
  2. Brazil

12.5%
  3. England

12.5%
  4. USA

6.3%
  5. France

12.5%
  6. Germany

18.8%
  7. Spain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Canada

9.4%
  9. Other

12.5%
  1. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to the FIFA World Cup 2022 thread.

This thread is for discussion of tournament events, human rights situation and workers deaths in Qatar. Any other football discussion, whether it be the Super League, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid or Unión Deportiva Ourense (who are they?) related should still go in The Beautiful Game thread.

The qualified teams:
    [​IMG]
    Some useful links:
    How has Qatar treated its foreign workers
    Football
    FIFA World Cup
    FIFA Official Website

Previous official world cup threads:

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Love the World Cup but have minimal interest this time round

I was dubious about Russia but watched some of it as although it was won under dubious circumstances, they do at least have a footballing heritage

Qatar however is a worse decision

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This thread is likely to be 80% of how I follow the World Cup this year. I've made the conscious decision to not watch a single minute on television, due to Qatar and and the surrounding human rights issues.

3sm1r, Blobofat and FatBurt like this.
  4. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    I'll keep track of the game, excited USA is in, though I know they do terribly.

Though I do hope the Qatar team tumbles very badly in play and is out in group

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    After 36 years, it is our time.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Omega like this.
  6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Wouldn't it be amusing if Canada or USA were to go on deep runs in the tournament...

And NO ONE is watching.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Dear friends,

Imagine being so desperate for work that you left your family behind to live in a squalid camp, toiling in the desert heat for as little as $1 an hour. Then you died, alone, and your family got nothing.

Imagine that those who treated you like a slave would rake in billions while the family you left behind spiraled down deeper into poverty.

FIFA decided to let Qatar’s despotic regime host the World Cup, and since then thousands of desperate and vulnerable migrant workers have reportedly died.

That’s 39 modern-day slaves who died for every goal expected to be scored.

FIFA is under pressure to set aside $440 million for these workers - the same amount that will be awarded to the competing teams. Rights groups, footballers, and even some of the World Cup’s top corporate sponsors are part of the push. But with less than two weeks until kickoff, we need to make this call massive to get FIFA to do the right thing. So sign now and we’ll deliver your voices straight to FIFA.

Despite warnings, FIFA chose a host country well known for using forced labor and for abusing poor and desperate migrant workers. FIFA helped create this problem, and now it has to help solve it.

Getting a huge organization like FIFA to do the right thing can feel like an uphill battle. But public pressure works, especially when it starts to hurt profits. Even four of the World Cup’s top corporate sponsors – Budweiser, McNasty's, Coca Cola, and Adidas – support compensating workers. And so do 84% of football fans who are likely to tune into the matches, according to a recent poll.

We only have days before the lights go up on the first game, shifting global attention to the matches, and not the people who worked - and died - in the sweltering heat and inhumane conditions to make the Qatar World Cup a reality. Don’t let FIFA profit off abuse. Sign now to demand that they set aside $440 million to compensate migrant workers.

Avaaz stands up for human rights and workers’ rights around the world. Already in 2015 Avaaz urged Qatar to end its modern slavery ahead of the World Cup, receiving almost a million signatures. In the years since, the Qatar government has taken steps to address these issues, but more can be done!

With hope and determination,
    Bieta, Nate, Christine, Miguel, Ahmed, Luis, Marta and the rest of the Avaaz team.

Please follow the link below. We’re reading fast approaching 100,000 signatures.
    Thank You
    YNWA

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/make_fifa_pay_locked/?cGrBtqb

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Blobofat likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    World Cup 2022: A desert World Cup blighted by a dust-storm of controversy':-

'Now is All' is the official Qatar World Cup slogan. A message, perhaps, to focus on the present - and the on-field action that is about to begin. To move on from the past. If only it were that simple.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63570556

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63674631 - with only days to go before the first match Qatar have banned beer sales in the stadiums. Only beer available will be Budweiser's no-alcohol version. Alcohol will be available for those in the hospitality suites but not those in normal seating. Needless to say Budweiser (a major sponsor) were not pleased.

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    They knew what they were doing. Too late for FIFA to do anything about it.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah. I doubt they'd have gotten the WC if they'd made that plain at the beginning. I don't see Qatar hosting any other similar events any time soon as a result though.

vin likes this.
  13. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    That just seems like an insane loss of revenue for them and doesn’t make any business sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Getting this one in before Diggy does

[​IMG]

15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Qatar aren't interested in getting the beer money. They're beyond wadded with cash already

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  17. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I haven't missed a world cup in 40 years. This is no world cup. It's a sick joke. **** it and **** Qatar.

vin and FatBurt like this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable articles about low viewership.

20. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Fanzones are apparently Fyre Festival levels of grim. What odds do we get on Woodstock '99 in Qatar?

solojones likes this.
  21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Incredible quantities of cringe right here

solojones likes this.
  22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Heard that earlier. Yeah, that's best avoided.

solojones likes this.
  23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    “Today I feel a migrant worker…”

…The old English teacher I me wants to point out the horrible syntax misunderstanding is just like rubbing salt in the wound - it makes it sound less like a statement of empathy, and more like announcing a depravity you’re looking forwards to…

Lowbacca_1977 and Glitterstimm like this.
  24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Why has Joe Lycett shredded £10,000? I mean how does it help or is it a stunt?

25. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Its a bit of both. He's calling out Beckham as being a gay icon and still taking Qatari money

He's basically shredded 10k of his own cash to highlight and increase awarenebss