main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The *Official* 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth_Omega, Nov 14, 2022.

?

Who will win the tournament?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2022.
  1. Argentina

15.6%
  2. Brazil

12.5%
  3. England

12.5%
  4. USA

6.3%
  5. France

12.5%
  6. Germany

18.8%
  7. Spain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Canada

9.4%
  9. Other

12.5%
  1. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man if Senegal doesn’t figure out how to stop that Kane/Saka cross attempt quickly it’s going to connect before this is over.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I liked that had Lloris saved the 2nd penalty, it still would have been disallowed. STAY ON YOUR LINE!

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    HENDO!

Wait I wanted Senegal to win this.

… HENDO!

CairnsTony and darthbernael like this.
  5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Bellingham is a bit good

6. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Bellingham is a lot good. Considering England's slow start, I'll take 2-0 at half time.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Once again I miss two crucial goals when putting Her Ladyship to bed... :p But whatever, I'll take that!

solojones and CairnsTony like this.
  8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Phil Fodens a bit good

9. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Sakaaa!!!!

Mar17swgirl and solojones like this.
  10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    What a lovely, lovely goal. Perfect control.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If Southgate can resist his natural instinct to play a 9-1-0 and instead lets his squad play more like this, England - France should be terrific.

12. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Maddison isn't going to play a minute at this WC is he?

Grealish for his third match in a game thats won or bring on Maddison who's so far on a jolly [face_plain]

13. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    I thought he was coming back from injury but I could be wrong.

14. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Another game that has echoes of a past conflict, this time The Hundred Years War

The quarter finals are gonna be great

starfish and heels1785 like this.
  15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Mbappe v Maguire, it’s what we’ve all been waiting for really

SithLordDarthRichie and Ramza like this.
  16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

It's either going to be embarrassingly bad or Maguire will somehow channel his inner Rio/Terry/King/Adams and puts Mbappe in his pocket

I'm leaning towards the former.

I expected to go out in the quarters anyway, I just hope we don't get utterly embarrassed ala Brazil/Germany.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The upcoming France vs England clash will be its biggest since.....actually I can't think of any history they've shared.

dp4m, Darth_Omega, Bor Mullet and 2 others like this.
  18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Disagree. France are very much beatable, but we can't be cautious and allow Mbappé anywhere near a chance (i.e. play like the first 30 minutes of the Senegal game). Look how vulnerable they looked in the opening of their match against Poland. Be confident, go forward and they will seem a lot less threatening.

19. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    England can beat France, I don't disagree. My worry is really only Mbappe. The space he was given today against Poland was unforgiveable (his first goal was just offensively bad defending) and whilst I don't expect him to get that sort of space, I worry that Southgate will revert to type and nix the attacking intent like he did against the USA.

Mbappe can undo any defence and while I think Maguire is much maligned (massively out of form at club level but seems ok on the international stage). I do worry that Saturday is the day where Mbappe hits his next level and Maguire goes all United on us.

If we can keep Mbappe quiet we have a very good chance.

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm just happy the Netherlands don't have to go up against England and France.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    They'll have enough trouble with Messi.

The thing with France is they're great across the board. The defence is great, midfield is great and the forward line is great.

England have a great midfield & forward line but the back is suspect.
    I expect Giroud & Mbappe to have a much easier time against Maguire & Stones compared to Kane & Rashford against Varane & Upamecano/Kounde

Any really good attacking side with movement and good crossing like France will totally bulldoze England if they play like they did in the first half.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    as incredible as he is, the worst matchup for england isn't walker/mbappe, imo - it's shaw trying to keep pace with dembele.

england outclasses the french by a lot in the midfield. and as long as stones is with him, i don't really worry about maguire. i think foden will feast on an out-of-position kounde and saka/rashford should push theo harder than he's used to. varane is good, but can be gaffe-prone as shown at the euros. i like england to win.

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Disagree

Mbappe will be aces against ANY side in the World Cup

Giroud will come un stuck against a well martialled defence. Giroud doesn't bother me (within reason, still a great player who can cause issues) and line him up against Stones/Maguire and I's expect our defence to keep him quiet nine times out of ten.
    Ask them to do that with Mbappe and it drops to 50/50

Mbappe is (so far) the only real threat that France have. Giroud has scored against teams during concentration lapses but outside that, its all Mbappe. England will cause the French defence turmoil IF given licence to attack. The question is, will Southgate buck the trend of the last 2 tournaments and attack? I don't think he will and that will be our undoing. France sucker punch in the last 30mins is the likely outcome

@heels, Dembele so far has been all speed minimal end product. Granted I've not watched most of the matches (barely any in all honesty) but from the highlights I've seen, Dembele is full of running but not much at the end of it so far. Dangerous but not beyond containing with Shaw/Walker

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    dembele's speed and attacking run was what set up mbappe's first goal against poland, and he provided a brilliant assist. he's very good, in-form, and a lot faster than luke shaw.

southgate could try to move rice over to that side and play hendo in the middle, since jude isn't defensively-minded. but then you're moving your best defensive midfielder away from mbappe. somehow or way, i think shaw will need some help.

25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I can't hold back any longer - there were some dreadful haircuts.