main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Official ATP Discussion Thread - now discussing the U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Community' started by Anakin_Heartbreaker, Dec 28, 2007.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    http://i.imgur.com/K1Qjo.jpg

djokovic vs. tsonga on espn 3 starting right now.

2. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    dissapointing end to the match. I don't know why Tsonga retired.

Fish vs Djokovic now. Fish has been playing excellent but this is a bad matchup for him

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

Nothing like Hulk Hogan. :p

Like I said, this tournament is Djovokic's for the taking.

4. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Nadal just beat Verdasco 7-6(5) 6-7(4) 7-6(9) in easily the worst match of 2011. That was ugly ugly tennis. Errors from everywhere. Nadal is not looking good right now.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I saw Serena Williams retired from her last tournament...is she injured again?

6. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Monfils up a break on Djokovic early in the 2nd. On ESPN2 right now

Monfils wins set 6-3.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Please not Djokovic for another title. I dislike his style of play more and more as time goes by. If you look at the 2007 Wimbledon final highlights I posted right before this year's final, you'll see a breathtaking display of artistry from both Federer and Nadal. Djokovic doesn't bring anything like that to the table at all. I really want Nadal to have a breakthrough against Djokovic and finally put him in his place. He's more than capable of doing it. He just needs to evict Djokovic from his head.

8. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    US Open draw unveiled today. Federer in the Djokovic half once again.

Qualifiers have yet to be completed and placed but once they are I will do some analysis of the draw.

9. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Nadal getting tested by Golubev right now. The big hitting Kazahk leading 3-0 in the 2nd set Nadal won the 1st set 6-3

Dissapointed to see USC Trojan legend Robert Farah blow a 2 set lead vs Mahut. Current USc Trojan Steven Johnson plays Bogomolov tomorrow.

Djokovic beat Irishman Niland today 6-0 5-1 ret.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Nadal's battling back. 5-5 in the second.

11. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    jesus, 7 set points blown by Golubev. On only one of them did Nadal actually take the point.

Every point is on Golubev's racket. He either wins the point with a powerful stroke or loses it with an error

12. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Golubev blows the 2nd set terribly and is expected to fold in the 3rd. Now leads 5-2 in the 3rd. Can he actually finish a set this time?

13. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Edit: Apparently not, broken while serving for it.

I saw Gonzo went out in the first round, and Li as well; any other prominent players down?

Tomic won as well, hoping he can continue his good form from Wimbledon.

14. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Gonzalez is no longer a prominent player. May not even play one more year, he is near retirment. Highest ranked male to lose thus far was Troicki who was the 15 seed and lost to Falla in 5. Youzhny(16) also got straight setted by Gulbis

15. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I didn't actually realise Gonzalez was that old. Thought he was mid 20s and he got to the US Open final earlier in his career.

16. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Djokovic wins the first two sets vs Berlocq 6-0 6-0. Can we have our first tricycle since 1991?

17. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    A big comeback from Belocq to lose 6-2 in the 3rd. :p

A few top seeds from the women's side are going (Bartoli, Venus, Li), hoping Stosur can push on a bit as our other Aussies have gone (pretty comprehensively in Tomic and Gajdosova's case, unfortuntely).

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
  19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I've been watching Sock - Roddick. Andy's clearly better, but Sock has shown some good stuff, along with some not so good stuff.

I hope Sock continues to improve. His name is just too awesome. Jack Sock just sounds cool.

20. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    What a massive win for Donald Young today beating Wawrinka in 5 sets. Took control in the tiebreak and won it 7-1 in the 5th set tiebreak. He was down 4-1 in the 5th. The crowd was really into it on court 17. He gets to the 3rd round where he will face Chela.

Two USC Trojans Farah and Johnson both blew 2 set leads. Dissapointing but at leats it shows the strength of college tennis these days.

Murray drops the 1st two sets and then rallies to win. Just another crazy Murray match.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Court 17 seems to be a great addition to the USTA complex.

22. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Some great matches today.

Fish vs Tsonga- 50-50 match. Rough draw for both, that they must meet in teh round of 16

Djokovic vs Dolgopolov - This will be interesting. They have never played. I expect Dolgo will hit one of his patches where he is unbeatable but will also hit terrible patches. Djokovic will be too solid in the end but that won't stop it from being very interesting. Dolgopolov always provides the entertainment.

then the not so interesting matches.

Federer vs Monaco
    Ferrero vs Tipsarevic

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The draw opened up nicely for Stosur, if she can beat Zvonareva a very winnable semi is there.

24. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Djokovic and Dolgopolov played an epic 16-14 tiebreak in set one. Dolgo was slicing Djokovic to death and of course andom winners. He took a vacation in the early part of the 2nd set before regaining himself and making a set of it again.

Tipsarevic and Ferrero actually played a decent match with Tipsy coming out on top.

Fish and Tsonga was a intense affair. Fish took a 2-1 set lead but then Tsonga hit god mode. He is unplayable in god mode and Fish was brushed aside. There was some controversy when Fish apparently said "I don't speak French dumb***" to Tsonga when Tsonga told him to control one of Fish's camp members. Not the first time Fish has got into a fight with a French player.

25. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    It's amazing to see players keep winning being so defensive. Djokovic beat Tipsarevic yesterday, watched the 1st 2 sets. Tipsarevic controlled lietrally 90% of the rallies. But with the court speed getting slower every year, the defensive player usually wins. Djokovic was able just run around the court and retrieve until Tipsarevic either hit a winner or didn't. Tipsarevic is great when on his game, his contact point on each stroke is superb.

Today we have Isner vs Murray and Roddick vs Nadal.

I am really looking forward to the Roddick and Nadal match. First time they have EVER played in a grand slam. It's crazy because Roddick seems to play Federer every slam but has to play Nadal in one. Roddick played his best match in a long time yesterday as he beat Ferrer. Nadal still isn't looking that good. Roddick has a chance.