main
side
curve

The Official Celebration Horror Stories... post/complain here.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by sonofsidds, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Yeah, You'd think the SW Celebrations were all about toys. There were actors there too. And a famous director that was pretty accessable to see if you put a little effort into it.

2. Bruno_Fett

Bruno_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Ummmm, the Sagamore line problem that I was addressing had absolutely nothing to do with toys?

3. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    My biggest bitch was I went to enter the Tattoo contest at 3pm FRIDAY and was told..Sorry thats capped. WHAT its not even till Sunday?
    Then When I get there to watch it ,there was only like maybe 30 people in the thing. Thats my biggest compliant.

4. SuperClerk

SuperClerk Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    My little story starts on friday when many of the GenCon people told my cousin and I the the line for Lucas would start at midnight. They also said that if we were holding space in line for people that they needed to be there by 5 in the morning as they would be giving out the wristbands at 6. Anyone that didn't have one wouldn't get in. OK... no problem.
    My cousin and I saw that people were lining up as early as four or five in the afternoon so we thought we would jump in and save some spots for a couple friends. That's when the convention people started to tell us that we were lined up illeagaly and that the police would be called if we didn't leave. Well everyone in the line left except for us and a few others. We were staying put. As the night went on people came out and lined up behind us until there was a pretty healthy line going down the block. It was pouring rain and flashing lightning. My cousin and I were under our umbrella trying to keep dry and warm.
    At 11:30 all the folks who went in before came back out and wanted their spots in the front back due to the fact they had given each other "Numbers". Nobody wanted to move back to let these folks in and so the front of the line was crowded and we all had to stand. After a couple hours of this our friends showed up to hold the psace in line so that my cousin and I could get a couple hours of sleep and get some dry clothes on. We went to the room and rested.
    We woke up a couple hours later and went out to meet our friends back in line. This was at 4:10. We were gone for 2 hours only. When we got to the line it was gone. Moved to a different plae down the street. We called our friends and they told us thatthey were already inside. We talked to a security guard and told them the story and they told us we were out of luck. Go to the back of the line.
    We called our friends back and told them we couldn't get in. We went to go to the back of the line andfound that it was nearly four blocks long. Defeated we went to go to the convention line and forget seeing Lucas.
    Did we manage to see him anyway? Yes. But it wasn't very rule abiding and so I won't get into that here. But there is another horror story involving a line at the convention.

5. obi-going_to_cel_III

obi-going_to_cel_III Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    On the one hand, you can't blame Gen-Con for telling you to be there by 5, they had no idea that it would be moved in when it was or that it would be moved in period. And if they had listened to all the people that said they had people holding their place inside, about 1K or more people would have used that...the problem is, they had no way of knowing who was telling the truth and who was not. Sorry for your misfortune!

6. SuperClerk

SuperClerk Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    I wasn't really blaming anyone... it was just a series of events that seemed to get worse as the morning progressed. Except for that and something at the hotel I stayed at I really had a great time. The other lines I had to be in were fine and I met a lot of good people. Luckily I was able to get in and out of the store in about 30 min on the morning of the first day.

7. obi-going_to_cel_III

Feb 6, 2005
    I'm still typing up all my complaints against gencon, but just wanted to post something I just remembered...One of the 501st volunteers came by us in the GL line while the wind was blowin, it was raining, etc, and said something i thought was awesome.
    "You guys are the real troopers"

Unlike some of the volunteers who sneered at us (i think because of stuff gen con was telling the volunteers ;))

8. DarthPlageius

DarthPlageius Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2005
    I really hated how on Saturday they just closed the store out of nowhere. I got in to see George out of sheer luck on his second show and that was great, but the store was CRAZY! I think the line was capped pretty early in the day and they closed it which I thought was really stupid.

That would have to be my main complaint, however small. But I was really nice to meet a bunch of people (if there's a guy that was dressed as Qui-Gon that met two guys, one was dressed as Obi-Wan and Yours Truly dressed as Count Dooku, that's on here, drop a line!) that were really nice. It felt like an extended family of some sort.

9. IowaSabre

IowaSabre Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    They closed the store early everyday...except Sunday I think. And by then there wasn't anything left!

Sloppy sloppy sloppy!

Anyone who defends GenCon had to have been on their payroll at one time or had their way with them.

10. Palevox

Palevox Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    I defend them, I'm NOT on their payroll, and I'm not sleeping with any of them...

-Disclaimer: I am not angry with anyone or am I trying to stir anything up- I am merely trying to present an alternate view. I love Star Wars too! :)

The constant here is that all complaints seemingly directed at Gen Con so far have been pretty weak. You do know that Lucasfilm was in charge, and that Gen Con was their operations only...right? If you don't, then maybe that is the source of all the confusion... Every move was co-ordinated with Lucasfilm. Steve (Sandsweet) & Mary (Franklin) were right there with us every step of the way.
    -A lot of people were there? Wow...must be Gen Con's fault... (it was sold to capacity you know...)
    -The lines got capped? It was full ...of some of those aforementioned Star Wars Fans.... Who got there before you did!
    -The store was closed? The Fire Marshals (who were there the whole time) shut it down when it was determined to be potentially unsafe. We don't control the law...
    I resent the implication that Obi said about "stuff that gen con was telling the volunteers" caused people to sneer at him... um... no. Hearing this kind of assumtion is annoying, it sounds like "Gen Con was out to get me!" and sorry, but that is just not the case. If you were treated badly, you should have noted the name of the person, then we could not use that person at another show again, right? We are always looking to improve!
    Gen Con has ONE goal when we all work a show, and that is to try to have the attendees to have a good time...we re-itterate this in EVERY pre-con meeting we have (and I've been to tons of them) It holds relevance at EVERY one... At this particular event, Mary (from Lucasfilm) was there to also give us her version of this speech...it was good, and we all tried to make the best of our workload. (And WHAT a workload!)
    I have said it earlier- There are complaints here...but not every post is a complaint- and not all are about Gen Con either...even so, if you compare numbers... there is less than one percent of complaint vs. attendees... so really, it was a good show when you think about it. (I had fun most of the time- I LOVE the costumes & the fan films!)
    This all being said- I would LOVE to complain from my side of things- but as I am a Senior Volunteer with Gen Con, I think it would be taken wrong with some of the attendees and just create arguments... Let me say this since It would be wrong to not present my view and 'hide' behind working with Gen Con.
    Here are my two Major complaints:
    1- Attendees who would get mad or irrational and blame the organizers ( Lucas or Gen Con) over things that were beyond our control. (For example- fire or safety regulations, the weather...amount of people who attended... )
    2- People who LOST their own children, then GOT MAD at them when we found them. ( I am speaking directly to a person who yelled at his 4 year old for getting lost you know who you are- HE'S 4 you idiot! )
    (I have a post about it in my Live Journal for those who care it is also user Palevox -warning offensive language)

So as a complaint from another P.O.V. those would be my major 2.

I like the community on this board, and I know that some of you have said no one is mad at the volunteers- but it's hard to see Gen Con attacked when they treat us like family. We know there are improvements to make...but EVERY show shows somewhere that can be improved...right?

11. obi-going_to_cel_III

Feb 6, 2005
    "I resent the implication that Obi said about "stuff that gen con was telling the volunteers" caused people to sneer at him... um... no. Hearing this kind of assumtion is annoying, it sounds like "Gen Con was out to get me!" and sorry, but that is just not the case. If you were treated badly, you should have noted the name of the person, then we could not use that person at another show again, right? We are always looking to improve!"

Uh, we asked the volunteers where they were getting there info...the answer was from Gen-Con!I was not gonna take the name of a volunteer (that where working their butts off) who was just telling us stuff that Gen-Con was telling them!

And the whole "fire marshall" cop-out is just that! A cop-out! Gen-Con ran the store and they should have had better trained cashiers (faster service) more cash registers (faster service) and to have used the fast path system like it was said was going to happen! It was totally ridicolous how sorry the store was!

If gen-con was in charge of operations, doesnt that include stuff like lines, the store (which Mary Franklin said herself that gen con was in charge of the store) etc where being run by gen con? Stop trying to put the blame on Ms Franklin and LFL!

12. Bruno_Fett

Mar 31, 2002
    Umm your not on their payroll or sleeping with one of them, however you do work for them. And how exactly does that then make you impartial? Did you pay to go to this event? Did you stand in lines with the average attendie or use the volunteer enterance? Not trying to be snooty but lets face it you may not have an objective opinion here.

-A lot of people were there? Wow...must be Gen Con's fault... (it was sold to capacity you know...)

Actually that does make it their fault, attendies bought the tickets, but not from fellow attendies, FROM GEN CON! They knew how many people would be there, we didn't.

Your basic defense is "there were alot of people there" Of course there were and they knew there would be alot of people. Other than locals they had a pretty good idea of the exact number. Poor planning on their part, that is the real problem. With bad planning how can you expect anythign more than bad execution.

The fire marshal shut things down because of too many people. HMMMM perhaps if they used the quick path that we heard so much about there would not have been so many people in the store at one time. Instead of thinking, where can we put these people to cue them ask yourself what do we need to do to get these people in and out, happy and on their way. We are not talking rocket science here, simple common sence.

If your biggest complaint was some jacka$$ yelling at his 4 year old then you must have been at a different convention than I was.

The only thing you got right was that the weather was not GenCons fault. But I will take that up with the big man some other time!

13. IowaSabre

IowaSabre Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    Well, actually...I think we should blame GenCon for the weather too!
    I mean, really, had they scheduled Celebration III a couple of weeks later.... :)

And, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the Forum to "post/complain about Celebration 3", This is after all NOT the "I love GenCom" Forum. Wait, perhaps there should be a "I Love GenCom / Fans are the ones to blame" forum?

Seriously, had the fans not tried to go to the store, go to see lucas, or any of the exhibits then there would not have been any problems! Right?

GenCon screwed up by:
    1) The Store
    a)Understaffed

b)Under trained

c)Not enough paid workers/heavy dependence on "Volunteers"

d)Very poor line control

e)Not enough merchandise

f)No Fast Path

g)No seperate lines for cash or figures only

h)It took them 4 hours on day one to figure out that people were getting hungry and thirsty.
    $3 bottle of Water? BooShuda!
    2) Staff
    a) Rude

b) Delusions of grandeur

c) Clueless

d) Polite, knowledgeable BUT Overwhelmed!

3) Exhibits
    a)Improper use of facilities (Opening
    cermonies, Star Wars spectacular and a
    few otehrs should have been shown in the
    Sagamore.)

b)No Line control

c)Heavy dependence on volunteers.

I could go on, but I need to get back to work...
    Could somebody else finish this list?

14. JediXXL

JediXXL Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Unrelated, or related if you subscribe to conspiracy thoeries...
    I sense the Dark Side in this:
    I just went to access Hyperspace and was advised it was time to renew. My subscription (at 40 bucks for the year) is not up until January/Febuary 2007 since I paid the $39.95 last May to have it extended. It was my understanding that I would have access to Hyperspace until my subscription ran out by paying when I did... I even asked and had this verified before I paid and was assured all would be great! Little did I know the rules could be changed without notice! :eek:
    We were also promised special perks with membership in the "New" Fan Club, at C-III and at Star Wars Shop.com.
    Has anyone seen any of this materialize other than an orange lanyard at C-III? I never got any of the discounts from Star Wars Shop, and C-3 was a joke when it came to what the lanyard got you. I could have saved the $40 and used the rubberband the non Fan Club Members got! LOL!! The last few membership kits have been an envelope full of advertisements, and an obscure body part or two animation cell.
    I contacted customer service and was told if I wanted to access Hyperspace it would be another $39.95 even though my subscription had not run out and will not until 2007. If I wanted my 2005 Fan Club membership kit it would only be sent after I paid. Not happening! I only access Hyperspace for the online aspect of Insider, I don't think another 40 dollars is justified, do you?

Does anyone else think this is out of line? What are peoples thoughts on this?

15. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    ^The "envelope full of advertisements" you mention did contain coupons for C 3, and Master Replicas.

If you're a fan club member you get some percent off your first purchase at SW Shop.com. It's an online store.

16. JediXXL

JediXXL Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    I looked again, I still have mine in the same place near my desk since it came. Mine contained an expired $2 off coupon for the Unifying Force book, a Vader ID card, an advertisement for Code 3 that was also an expired calendar, A Xerox (not even hand signed) of a letter from George Lucas and Lisa Stevens (Whom I hope reads this) A poster for the Star Wars Trading Card Game, A tri fold "backdrop" one side Jabba, the other Geonosis. And the topper, an ear(?) foot(?) mouth(?) from a production animation cell from the Ewoks Cartoon (These are normally just thrown away)Some people got really nice full character cells, most got an odd body part. Did I miss something?? If there were coupons for C-3 and MR I did not see them in my envelope, and signing in to get your Star Wars Shop discount never took any money off for me! My assessment of an envelope full of ads, I feel is accurate.

How does this relate to C-3 you ask? I was under the impression we were supposed to get some perks for being in the Fan Club Since everyone at C-3 was in the Fan Club(?) what were the advantages I missed on? The Fan Club lounge, though exclusive had food that was more expensive than any other place in the Convention center...

17. Palevox

Palevox Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    IowaSabre said:
    And, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the Forum to "post/complain about Celebration 3", This is after all NOT the "I love GenCom" Forum. Wait, perhaps there should be a "I Love GenCom / Fans are the ones to blame" forum?

-You are right, it is a complaint thread...I stand corrected, but I NEVER blamed the fans...
    Wait! I'm a fan...and I work with Gen Con... well, maybe you do blame me then. :) (This was a joke---unless you do blame me!)

GenCon screwed up by:
    1) The Store
    a)Understaffed

-Agreed and adressed in previous posts.

b)Under trained

-Agreed again, and also adressed in previous posts.

c)Not enough paid workers/heavy dependence on "Volunteers"

-While this will remain a point of contention, temps were hired...a lot of them, yet not all were useable. Unless you know of a hirable cashier task force that we do not...temps are the option of paid workers.

d)Very poor line control

-discussed. and Agreed to a point, however you have to give me the point that some fans were just screwing over other fans in order to get ahead by any means possible, and Human nature Gen Con can't control...

e)Not enough merchandise

-that is what 'exclusive' means...right?

f)No Fast Path

-I am not sure how this was to work, so I won't comment on it as it was not implemented in my area- I will have to concede this one...

g)No seperate lines for cash or figures only

-I Agree!!!!! I think this was a huge issue, and even if it was done after the overwhelming demand on Thursday it could have been actioned.

h)It took them 4 hours on day one to figure out that people were getting hungry and thirsty.
    $3 bottle of Water? BooShuda!

-Convention center controls concessions- I ate out.

2) Staff
    a) Rude
    b) Delusions of grandeur
    c) Clueless
    d) Polite, knowledgeable BUT Overwhelmed!

-Do you mean anyone with a black celebration shirt that said 'Staff'?
    ESG security? (blue shirts)
    or Gen Con Event team shirts (Senior Volunteers- black short sleeve with blue stripe) {I am hoping this one was a 'd' cause that was me!}

3) Exhibits
    a)Improper use of facilities (Opening cermonies, Star Wars spectacular and a few others should have been shown in the Sagamore.)

- I think I agree with the Archives... but the Sagamore was set up in a specific way for it's events.

b)No Line control
    c)Heavy dependence on volunteers.

-I got to agree as above.

Obi-going said:

"Stop trying to put the blame on Ms Franklin and LFL!"

-I am not shifting blame, I am stating facts, like the one where I said Mary (and Steve) was working with us every step of the way? Or the one where I said it was both Gen Con and Lucasfilm? (taken from the Celebration 3 site quick facts page: Produced by Gen Con, LLC, based in Seattle, Washington, in partnership with Lucasfilm, Ltd.)
    Besides- I LOVE Mary! Having worked with her for about 3 years I have nothing but the upmost respect for her.

Bruno_Fett Said:

Umm your not on their payroll or sleeping with one of them, however you do work for them. And how exactly does that then make you impartial? Did you pay to go to this event? Did you stand in lines with the average attendie or use the volunteer enterance? Not trying to be snooty but lets face it you may not have an objective opinion here.

- I agree with this Bruno...I was only putting things from my perspective so the view from 'my side of the fence' could be seen.
    As for what I got to see or do when on my 'own time' heh,...heh heh! I saw 2 and a half fan films (about 20 mins), and spent 30 mins in Celebration at Celebration 3. The rest of the time I was working. (75.5 hours from Tuesday set-up to Sunday tear down)
    While you have some good points- We will just have to agree to disagree I guess.

I guess my Disclaimer didn't go to far, as it seems to have stirred things up after all, but I do like debating the points with people- even if it ends at an impasse. (Especially you IowaSabre! We will have to get together if there is a C4- unless you go to Ge

18. obi-going_to_cel_III

Feb 6, 2005
    I noticed you didnt respond to my statements about that Gen-Con ran operations and the store and was therefore the major people to blame here ;)

19. Palevox

Palevox Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    I just figured it was covered in IowaSabre's response, (it is essentially the same thing said a different way) so no sense in responding twice...
    ;)

I worked the Exhibit hall 'D' so I see the store in the same way you did, except after my 12 hour shift, I worked a few more in the store...

20. IowaSabre

IowaSabre Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    Palevox-
    So I take it you agree with everything I said then?

And from the viewpoint of an average fan who doesn't know anybetter this is the way I saw the staff.

CSS (Blue shirt Security)
    Pathetic. Of all of them only two seemed to know what they were doing. The rest simply laughed or shrugged their shoulders.

Red Shirted Volunteers:
    Having a grand ol' time. They were fun, but not very helpfull. Most had no clue what was going on and were in the same boat as the rest of us.

Black Shirted SW Fanclub: (ie:Mary Franklin)
    Very ellusive. I would have liked to meet Mary. She seems nice from the emails we've sent back and forth.

Black Shirted "Event Staff" GenCom:
    aka in lines as the "Gestappo" or BSB's (Black shirted Bastards). All - except for one, seemed rude, ignorant, indifferent, out of their league, or thought their caca didn't stink. The One I met that actually was very helpfull, understanding and seemed to be trying to have a good time along with the fans was about in his late 30's with sandy blond hair and a bit pudgy.

The evil one was very short with a full reddish beard who liked to yell at old women and kids. Had I not feared getting tossed out I would have "accidently" stepped on the little BSB. (Didn't want to get my shoes dirty either)

The Imperial 501st:
    The best part of the convention. They didn't know much more than the average joe but they were great with kids and posed without complaint for pictures.

21. Palevox

Palevox Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    IowaSabre:
    "So I take it you agree with everything I said then?"

I never said that ;)

...but can see your side (which is probably why I enjoy debating with you...)
    I have heard similar issues with ESG- I can see your side there...

Red shirts and 501st rule! I love the way they are so helpful and make the event special... Really glad we had them again. (They help us with Gen Con too!)

Mary Rules- period.

Black Shirted "Event Staff" GenCon: (or BSB's) Dammit...that's me. (But I was in the Exhibit Hall 'D' for the show) The one you describe (if it is who I am thinking of) is a great guy, but the other I have not worked with...I will be on the look out if I do. On that, I can only offer an apology, although I am unaware of what happened. Regardless, we are instructed to not get in situations like this (yelling at anyone), by getting help, so it should not occur.

22. Bruno_Fett

Mar 31, 2002
    P- Agree to disagree? Come on admit it I gotcha!

If you were planning a wedding and had 200 people respond that they were coming you would not rent a hall out that only held 175 people thinking "some might not show". You would not order food for 150 thinking "some might not eat". And you would have more than a six pack in the cooler to drink. Planning. Planning, Planning, thats what Gen Con does for a living, LFL was using them for operation because of their experience PLANNING EVENTS. There were so many common sense answers to the problems at CIII that it is maddening.

Fast Path: You get in a line, volunteer walks along the line handing out tickets to the people in line. The tickets tells you what time to get back and get into the real line. You go and do what you want to. You come back at the time specified, you get in a nice short controlled line and zip through get your stuff, and enjoy the rest of your life with a smile instead of having to stand next to someone in a costume that smells like wet dog for 7 hours and miss everything going on at the con. They did something like this at CII for the concert ticket sales.

I do pity you on one account, you had to spend a whole half hour at the celebration at celebration. I would rather have worked a 12 hour shift than had to sit through that ever again.

23. IowaSabre

IowaSabre Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005

I think I stood by the guy who smelled like a wet dog too! Probably had his armour in storage too long. (Was he the one dressed like Bobba Fett wanabe?)

24. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    e)Not enough merchandise

-that is what 'exclusive' means...right?

No, that's what "limited edition" means. There should've been enough of every piece of C3 merchandise so that each attendee could purchase everything they wanted. "Exclusive" shouldn't mean "my husband goes to purchase a C3 onesie first thing Friday morning and there are no more left." I have heard from several sources that LFL repeatedly urged GenCon to order more merchandise, but that they did not, because they didn't want to be "stuck" with extras. Hell, there weren't any "extras" left after the first two days.

25. obi-going_to_cel_III

Feb 6, 2005
    Another problem with the store was even though they had the figures divided by the days, they didnt with the rest of the merchandise. They should have divided all merchandise by day so that the people who could only get their by saturday or sunday could get some stuff also.

Mary Franklin rocks, sorry you could not meet her! I didn't think she was elusive, busy, but not elusive. But then again our group had to wait for Pabs (pablo Hidalgo) after the opening ceremonies and she was in there so I talked to her briefly then, talked to her again at the Friday Fan Club breakfast, and then again when she was zipping by me on her very earthlike green speeder. I was pleasantly surprised that she knew who I was when I told her my name (from e-mailing) and I am always amazed at how fast she replies to my e-mails and semms SO concerned about the fan! Again, wish you could have met her :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.