main
side
curve

The Official Celebration Horror Stories... post/complain here.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by sonofsidds, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    You all realize they're only movies, right????

George Lucas said himself he only had 7 pages of notes regarding Episodes 1,2 and 3, during the final saturday morning session, and that about 60% of that was for Episode 3.

I honestly do hope Episode 3 is spectacular - it will be an apology for 1 and 2. Regardless, it will be excellent visually, if lacking in story.

Or do all you "Fans" just happily glaze over the plot inconsistencies between Episodes 4-6 and Episodes 1 and 2?

queenseamstress seems to have a Freudian fascination with pickles....odd, but mildly interesting

2. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    My only problem was the small bags in the store.That was stupid when I bought 200 worth of stuff.Who wants to pack all of that show to show.But enough complaints Im ready for a 30th anniversary bash.

3. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Should have bought lots of figures, they gave you a box when you did that. Saw several going out with a dozen figures, and of course no pass stamps.

Will definitely be a 30th anniversary con, but they should have it somewhere where people actually know how to organize an event. Do it in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Diego.

Has anyone been to the San Diego Comic Con? Is it worth going? Has to be better organized than Celebration 3. I thought busiest dealer in the Exhibitor's hall was the Tshirt guy, near the back of the hall - he seemed to have no problem handling crowds, should have put him in charge of the celebration store.

4. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    Don't feed the troll.

5. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I'm sure some of you "got" the pickle thing.

*laughing hysterically*

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I hear the San Diego con is a pretty good time too.

The only thing really worth complaining about at CIII were the lines to get in, and the lines for the store. Everything else was pretty darned peachy.

7. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I got the pickle thing, just found it quite retarded. Did Lucas write it?

I just find it hilarious that most of you think it was a well organized event??? Since this is a complaint forum, I will complain. Since there is no direct contact info I can find for Gen Con.

Because of people like you, future Celebrations will continue to suck because you just gloss over the long list of problems that could have been easily dealt with. The convention centre was an excellent venue. And Indianopolis a nice city.

They had such little time to plan the event, only 3 years....pretty tight on time.

And yes, the fans did make up for the retarded service, as everyone seemed very friendly and amazingly tolerant. Those same fans have to realize they have the power to set the venue for another Celebration.

The 501st could do it themselves, and do a damn good job.

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah, we will always be here to ensure you won't be enjoying a future SW convention. It's a good thing you caught on so early, you won't have to get caught up in the trap next time.

Everything is proceeding as I have forseen!

:)

Seriously, this is the right place to complain, it would just be nicer of you to refrain from insulting the rest of us here.

9. large_mammal

large_mammal Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2003
    Amen, Go-Mer_Tonic.
    It seems to me that the only real downer of the weekend were morons like Uber-Fetus here that stood in the middle of hallways and lines and made a point to complain loud enough for everyone to take notice that THEY WEREN'T HAVING A GOOD TIME and IT'S ALL GENCON'S FAULT.
    WTH? I'm not saying that most of these complaints aren't justified... but guys like this are just the perfect example of ridiculous complaining for the sake of complaining.
    If you didn't want to stand in long lines - you shouldn't have gone. What kind of idiot attends an event with thousands of people there and expects to breeze through lines?
    Maybe you could've made some new friends in line, but I imagine you were like many of the fatheads I was forced to wait with who would rather complain incessantly rather than trade names, shake hands, share food and jokes and just make the entire experience more pleasant in general.
    Aaaaaand... if you don't like the new films - you shouldn't have gone. This was a CELEBRATION of a PREQUEL FILM.

And honestly bashing the prequels and SE is just soooooooo old hat. Can't you think of something new to fuss about?

I... I just don't GET some people.

10. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    People: Don't. Feed. The. Troll.

11. large_mammal

large_mammal Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2003
    Yeah... my bad.
    I'm done.

12. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    You take it very personally when faced with any criticism about the Star Wars universe in general. Seems nothing can be wrong.

I would have thought, being the loyal fans that you claim to be, you would expect and demand more from Lucas. Maybe I expect too much.

I met tons of good people at the show and in Indianopolis. But none of them were too happy about the state of affairs at the show.

You're having delusions of grandeur about the Celebration and Star Wars in general.

Fun to see the reactions though when someone has a complaint.

13. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    GullyFoyle, nothing to say?
    Don't you feel sorry for the poor buggers who stood in line for hours and hours to see George Lucas - true fans no doubt, much more deserving than I of seeing Lucas, but ultimately got the shaft? While I was allowed in after waiting for only 45 minutes, and ushered into the Lucas presentation by Gen Con staff no less.

How is that fair to the real fans? What about kids who really wanted a Celebration 3 figure, not because they thought it would be worth a ton on ebay, but just because they were big fans of Star Wars and wanted the figure, but of course got srewed out of it?

I bought extra figures (because my passes weren't stamped) to give out (for free) to friends of mine who are diehard fans in Canada that couldn't make it to the celebration, who I knew would appreciate something from the show more than I would.

I don't know about you, but how many people did you pass by with a box full of figures, trying to sell them to people standing in line? Are these Star Wars fan??

14. jedimelis

jedimelis Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    AS an OfficialPix volunteer, I may have had a different experience than most of you.... I was denied access to the lines because of my volunteer schedule.. missed out on all the cool stuff too.... You guys are right Gen Con bites and Steve Sansweet knows it... hope he does something about it.

My complaint about GenCon may seem minor, but you can add it to the list of complaints.... the Celebrity/Guests had a little curtained area for refreshments and resting.... good idea right? Well they stopped serving coffee and tea at 2 pm on Thursday.... (and I was told specifically that the the refreshemtns for guests was provided by GenCOn) do you KNOW how many of the guests were British and have to have their tea????? like 75%. It was infuriating... I just wanted to buy an electric coffee pot and some tea bags and serve them hot water myself. Geeez.. these people needed some cheap *** tea!!!!

But overall the guests were nice, Billy Dee and teh rest fo the guests were nice enough to sign a get well card for a sick guy in the 501.

15. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I like jedimelis, thnx for the good line, Star Whores.

You boys should watch a show called Deadwood, but I fear the dialogue of the show may offend people in this forum, as various and opposite opinions are expressed, with a good deal of profanity, sexual content and enthusiasm.

And I still maintain Samuel Jackson having sex with Natalie Portman (probably did anyway) would indeed be the highlight of the prequels.....Samuel L's purple light sabre is indeed one of the highlights of the movies.

16. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    People should quit their bitching. I stood in line in the freezing rain for Lucas for 12 hrs. It sucked. But it is a memory I'll have forever. And it was worth it.
    Lines and SW go hand in hand, always have. I agree that much could've been handled better. Standing for a couple hours is one thing, standing for hours upon hours is another. GenCon wasn't prepared for it, which was surprising to me. But people need to quite crying. Meeting new fans, some that I've become good friends with was way worth it. Seeing what I saw, purchasing what I did, it was ALL worth it!!!!
    Oh yeah, and Lucas doesn't need an apology for Episodes I or II. What kind of fans come to a SW celebration only to complain about SW? How totally stupid.
    ROTS will be an incredible tragedy, which is exactly why you need the first two episodes. But why try and explain genius to a brick wall. If your a SW fan you appreciate all the films. Otherwise your just a wolf in sheeps clothing...

17. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    An incredible tragedy? That's funny. You make it sound like it's Shakespearean. Should really get out more, or at least read a book.

Something non-star wars.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    No seriously UberFetus, it's not the complaints, things did go seriously wrong in the C3 store. It was a mess. It's just the personal insults.

Look, my time wasn't perfect either. My horror story goes a little something like this...

When we get to the convention, we figured they would have a handle on the lines after the fiasco that happened at CII. But nothing had changed. It was still just two incredibly long lines, they just figured out better ways of making the lines weave in and out of cattle gates like you would have at an amusement park. Every time we thought we were getting closer to the end of the line, there would be another segment of winding cattle fences. When we finally got to the end, it took a while before we were pretty sure someone wasn't going to tap us on the shoulder and say "no, the end of the line is way over there buddy".

It was long and kept us from getting into the store that day, but we met a nice couple named Heather and Steve (I think, I am horrible with names), and right away we were all smiling and getting exited about the convention and the upcoming movie, it was like we all knew each other or something.

We get inside, consult our "to do" list and head over to get the store out of the way. We get over there and there is one of those volunteer women holding up the "This line is capped" sign, she tells us to come back in a couple of hours.

We wander over by the storm trooper Olympics, and checked out the Burger King thing where the Jedi Knight teaches a bunch of kids how to use a light saber, then Vader and a bunch of storm troopers come out and the Jedi guy has them all fight Vader. If they remembered the moves, they would defeat Vader. They had a guy making the sound effects of the sabers from back stage, and it was some great sound. Watching the kids faces was almost as good as being a kid again myself.

We wandered around the collecting area, and I found the Mace Windu cup topper I wanted. It was marked $5, but the guy gave me 2 dollars back.

We go back over to the store, and just barely manage to get in the next line, about 5 people before they capped it again. We wait there for about a half hour, when they tell us the store has closed for the day.

The next day we try to get there earlier and the line is already capped. That's when I snapped on the lady with the sign. I told her that I had spent $100 on my 4 day badge, just so I could get one of these figures, and at this rate, they would sell out before I ever got close to one. She explained how the fire marshal made them cap the lines and how they were trying to do everything they could to make the situation better. It turns out she was just volunteering. She wasn't even being paid to take my abuse, and on top of that, she had to buy a badge like everyone else just to hold a sign that attempted to keep the store situation from turning into a riot. I realized how much of a Jerk I had been and apologized to her, telling her it had to come out in some way or I would have exploded.

I went into the collector?s area and someone was already at a counter trying to sell their 4 figures to one of the collectors. He wanted $50 for one and I took it. I figured even if I can't get into the store at least I will have this one. I told others back home I would see what I could do about getting more for them, but oh well.

We finally got in line for the store on Saturday after we saw Lucas. We were met with a fork in the road, and for some reason, I wanted to go in the left one. There was a lady at the fork who told us to go in the right one, and that both were going to take the same amount of time. When we asked how long it would take, she prefaced her answer with, I have no idea really, but probably at least an hour. It turns out the right line was much longer than the left line, but oh well, at least we were in the store. I was in that line at least 5 hours, no kidding around. I kept lying down, falling asleep for 5 minutes, then the line would move another spot and I would move and fall back asleep. About 75% of

19. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I would have sold you a Celeb figure at cost, for $15.

I attended the Celebration 2 and had an awesome time, I guess what you guys are describing you had in Celeb 3, guess I was a rarity at Celeb 2??? I went with a hard core Star Wars fan to Celeb 2, who has spent the last 3 or 4 years building himself an R2D2, who wanted so bad to go to Celeb 3 (his wife had a baby a week before the celebration, premature). So I figure the least I can do is bring him back a figure and some free swag from the celebration.

And yes, the digital footage was spectacular, and I told everyone standing in the Store line to go and see the footage instead of lining up for the store, which some did. And held places in line for people, and fought (successfully) with security to let those people back in line - because what can security really do to you? NOTHING, unless they call the cops, and then what are they gonna charge you with?

I applaud the real fans' dedication, I would not have it (used to). But at the same time, I was able to get into everything with a bit of griping and good luck, so why shouldn't you real hard core fans get first opportunity at the stuff?????

20. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Well, this is my horror story:
    I was standing in line for the really hot Hayden look-a-like(if you are on the boards PM ME!!) and this one guy was taking random pictures. I was standing next to him and he then faced me, quickly snapping a photo. I was like WTH? when he turned around, he had one of those digital cameras where you can see the pic. IT WAS A PICTURE OF MY BOOBS!!!! ok so I am heavily endowed for my age, but I never expected someone to take a picture of my boobs. My brother went after the guy(which was hilarious since my brother is 14 and about 5'11 and the guy was about 5'5) and, hopefully, deleted it. From then on I wore a sweater.

Solo

21. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Oh come on, it's not like he ran off with your actual boobs. ;)

$15 would have been a lot better than $50 UberFetus, but I made that choice at the time, because the piece of mind alone was worth $50 bucks. It sort of relieved the pressure buildup I had accumulated over the store situation at that point.

Once I got that figure, I was able to enjoy the rest of my weekend without the angry feelings. Even in that horrendous store line, I had prioritized my list and chose to wait in that line, because most of the really important stuff was later on like the C@C party.

22. Jealously_Guarded

Jealously_Guarded Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2004
    I can tell that certain people here are under the mistaken impression that Lucas "owes" them, and how dare he not respond to his multiple emails on how to improve the trilogy.
    Uber, are you explaining a headache or looking to start one? No one will apologize for Gen Con and that is their problem anyway. I personally was able to get into everything I wanted to see with only an hour wait. I did not try to buy the figure as I do not base my own personal fandom on how much income I can spend. My priorities were meeting other people and showing my costumes off. Both were a complete success.
    Uber, if your own personal priority is to make sure you are the number one malcontent whiner of C3, congrats, I hereby award it to you.

BTW, for the others...
    The Hayden look-alike is from Provo, Utah, and in my own 501st garrison, the Alpine Garrison. Find their website and you find him. He is the son of one of the moderators.

23. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I was really disgusted with the people trying to re-sell their figures a few minutes after buying them.

Had the same problem in Celebration 2, we were standing in line, waiting patiently (only waited 2hr total for our figures, bought them on a friday afternoon), and watched this guy cycling through the line - within the store, not the line in general, buying figures again and again. Once he bought them, he would take them over to his wife/girlfriend, who had a large box, deposit them, and get back in line somehow, because most people wouldn't boot him back out!!! So of course we caused a big stink, got the guy kicked out of the store, and were called the Crazy Canadians.

I lined up for a figure because I wanted one, but not to sell on Ebay. I have my figures from both Celeb 2 and 3 and will hold on to them. And yes, I would have sold you a figure for the real price, because if you paid $50 at the show, you obviously wanted a figure for yourself and not to re-sell, and I respect that.

Dealers at toy shows and conventions in Toronto seem to actively price fix their merchandise, so there is no variation in prices throughout the show. There are always a few dealers that sell for less, and they almost seem to get blacklisted from future shows. Don't know if that happens in the U.S.??? Doesn't seem to.

Guess I was an exception that had a really good experience at Celebration 2, but really bad at Celebration 3???? #2 brought me back to #3...

24. Darth_Bootsy

Darth_Bootsy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2004
    Is there an "ignore" function on this board? Just curious.

I heard one guy complaining about the lengths of the lines for autographs. It was kind of funny what he was complaining about.Of course, in a tone that EVERYONE could hear...

"These idiots get up to Ray and want to take a picture and **** and hold up the line."

Nice. Criticize the fans because Ray Park is willing to actually talk to them rather then wave them along like they mean nothing to him.
    Hypocrites.

If it's not one thing it's another.

I'm glad I won't be seeing the nay-sayers at the next event.

---
    And solo. I caught some pervs while I was in the autograph line taking video of Amy Allen as she was bending over for some photos. It was kind of disturbing to see three or four 50 somethings drooling as they stared down at the LED screen. I should mention that they were about 30 feet away and she was NOT posing for them.

25. UberFetus

UberFetus Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    Jealously_Guarded, couldn't open your site, is it still up???

What did George Lucas read? I would hazard a guess at the following:

Orwell - 1984 and Animal Farm
    Chronicles of Narnia
    Lord of the Rings
    Brave New World
    Catcher in the Rye
    Probably Hemingway

Just guesses...let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.