main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD The OFFICIAL Comments, Complaints, and Suggestions Thread-(*Currently Discussing: Holiday Season*)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rox , May 31, 2002.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I just wanted to give you all a heads up that over the course of the next few days I will be reorganizing the Thread Index. I will be updating it with new info and replacing outdated links. :)

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, hopefully I won't continue to be talking to myself, but another point has been brought up that I think needs to be addressed:

Animation/Flash/Gif images.

It has been brought to my attention that there is an interest in starting an official thread here highlighting this type of work. Now, the only problem I have with this is it seems more like it should belong in Fan Films than in Fan Art. However, I can see where animation can fit in since you ARE drawing millions of individual drawings. I just wanted to get a feel for what you all think and if a specific thread for this topic would be well receieved.

3. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Well, speaking as a 2D (2D? Do people still do that? ;) ) animator, animation is more about the motion than the individual drawings, so I would think it would be more fitting in the Fan Films category. Then again, the side of me that sits behind a drawing desk for countless hours actually rendering each drawing says otherwise.

Would it be a problem with board policy if animation/flash animation was represented on both forums? Animated GIFs (animated icons and the like), being much simpler, would seem to be perfectly all right in the Fan Art section.

4. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    That's why I was torn. I'm planning to go into animation(or at least try my hand at it), and the process of coming up with all those drawings screams traditional art to me. But the rest of the process fits more into the Fan Films section. I can talk to the Fan Films mods and see what they think if that would help.

5. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    Well to be honest, the only drawings you'll want to pick out to frame will probably be they key drawings - the rest will look horribly distorted but work within the context of the movement. And since -as you said - animation includes things such as scripting, foley recording, shooting each drawing under the camera, and ultimately is released in a format other than paper, I'd have to side with Fan Films.

That's not to say that the traditional art side of it is discounted (without the characters or backgrounds, all you're left with is an audio drama), it's just one element within the greater scope of the project.

6. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Very good point. Then perhaps its best that this stay within Fan Films. Unless there is a very strong desire to have it here.

Like I said before, I have no problems with anyone posting concept art or whatnot. Just didn't see the actual animation fitting in here.

7. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I hate double posting, but I wanted to bring up some issues(and possible ways to spruce up the forum) that have been nagging me for the past couple of days.

First of all, a new banner. It's been a while since we've had our contest and I was thinking it may be time for something new to appear up there in the header. Now, I wasn't planning on holding a contest, but rather go with what many other forums are doing and have rotating banners. I know I've said in the past I'm totally against that, but I've since changed my mind and realized that they really do add something fresh to the forums. I think a single thread dedicated to this subject could work where you can submit banners at your own leisure with no deadline. I then can take banners freely from that thread and get them uploaded as they come in. Thoughts?

The end of summer is coming up and that means a lot of folks will be heading back to school. That usually means a new influx of members here on the boards and I was thinking that would be the prime time to start up the Artist of the Month thread. I mentioned this in the past and have since been toying with ideas on how to manage it. I think the best course would be to randomly(through a poll or elsewhere) pick an artist each month and let the userbase ask them questions in the thread throughout the month timeframe instead of asking all the questions ahead of time. This also helps keep the thread fresh throughout the entire month.

Finally, I would like to do some housecleaning. I noticed that the thread index sticky at the top of the forum is horribly out of date and a lot of the links are dead. A major rehaul is in store, and I plan to spend the next couple of months working on that. The "open" request thread also appears a bit cluttered with all of those requests not moving. Some go back a couple years and I'm wondering if some of the folks are even interested anymore. I considered purging some, but I don't think that would be the best course of action. I'm torn on how to get things moving in there again and make the thread appear "pretty."

If you have any other suggestions or concerns, ways to improve the Fan Art forum overall, please feel free to let me know! Your comments are always welcomed! :)

8. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    I like the idea of new banners, especially when handled as over the Lit. You're right, it's all fresher then, and in the different banners we could showcase different artstyles (ala: sketches, photomanips, collages, traditional paintings, digital paintings, etc...).

I also like the idea of a randomly picked AotM.

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have a suggestion to make about the forums. Can it be changed so that the new PM bit isn't highlighted in black? It's just a small detail but it's hard to see if there are any new PMs.

10. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Sounds all good to me!

As for the sticky clean-ups, maybe it's time to purge the whole list and let people repopulate it. Kind of annoying maybe if your request is still wanted, but at least it would really weed out the ones that really weren't wanted. If someone really does want their request to remain, then they can repost. Maybe a little harsh, but I'm sure it would save on a lot of work... :)

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't believe there's anything I can do about that since that's a style sheet issue. I can take it up with the tech admin, but it may be a bit since we're currently in a transition period with gabe stepping down and all.

B24, that's an interesting idea on handling the requests. I think what I might do is create a whole separate thread to deal with the issue, allowing everyone to chime in and then take action from there.

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Just wanted to give everyone a head's up that there is a thread currently in Comms about the future of Fan Art and the possibility of allowing non-SW art and general art related threads in the forum. It would be great if all of you could take a moment to go check it out and post your thoughts:

http://boards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/31246095/p1/?7

13. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Hello everyone!

With the Festive Holiday Season coming up, I want to ask what would everyone like to do to celebrate it together? In the past we have done activities and I was wondering if anyone has ideas with what they would prefer to do.

14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Gifts making a painting for a fellow artist, a roulette

holiday themed art

15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I like the holiday-themed art idea. The gifts idea, though... Bit on the fence about that one. Hm...

Ooh, perhaps make ornaments? Or cookies? I dunno. I'm more into Halloween than Christmakwanzukkahtetamadonlifeen-mastivus.

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm all for the gift idea again. I've really enjoyed the Secret Santa thing the past two years. The only problem we had with that was a lack of interest. It would be a real smash if we had more than 2-3 people participating.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  17. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    The bird always get something from me because we live in the same country and are friends.

:D

No, but honest, I will participate this year. It is a fun idea. At present I just teach 7 lessons per week & have not found another job in addition yet. So I have some time left.

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I enjoyed the gift/art exchance with other artist though as HanSolo29 has pointed out, it be great if we had more people participate.

The Holiday-Themed arts, that be like creating a dedicated thread for holiday themed works to be posted in there, we critique and compliment each others works? Maybe we could do an annual thing with that and index the pieces?

19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Sound a jolly good idea.

*is already in a Christmas mood because she baked Halloween cookies with MsLanna/ Etain and had been given a lot of art presents by earlybord-Obi-Wan yesterday*

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh, you just got me thinking now...

The Holiday-themed thread could be expanded further by covering other major holiday events throughout the year, not just the Christmas/December period.

21. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    So like Halloween today? Or Easter? Or...

*diggs out the "Nightmare before Christmas" DVD to check out the American holidays*

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've never seen all the way through that film. From the top of my head:

New Years Eve/Day.... Australia Day.... Valentine's Day.... St. Patricks... International Speak Like A Pirate Day.... Velociraptor Appreciation Day... Life Day....

I'm probably forgetting a few and I can't think of any more but I know there are plenty more out there.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd participate in the gift idea, but it would come down to cost on my end. Fixed, budgeted income and all that. Groceries are expensive. [face_plain]

As for the thematic arts... I'm all for it. Though, do they have to be our Earthly holiday-centric? Perhaps a Life Day image, or a Feast Day pic as the characters are carving up the trickaloo, or a Galactic Moon Festival image with Sith-O-Lanterns.

I'm not a very Christmakwanzukkatetamadonlifeen-mastivus person. I'll be honest, the overmarketing and the festivities drive me nuts, and I ended up with bronchitis on Christmas Day, twice. Needless to say, I'm not very fond of the holiday. However, New Years is fine, St. Patrick's Day is fun, and I begrudgingly accept Valentine's Day (at least afterward when all the chocolate is on sale). I'll be sure to participate in the other holidays. In fact, I got an image in mind for Valentine's Day.

24. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    My interpretation of the gift idea is that we create an artwork for another person.

How we did it in the past was a number of us signed up with a short list of things the things they like, e.g.: Luke, Mara, Celebration...
    Like a roulette, we then are randomly assigned via PM someone's name and selection and we have till a certain time to create an artwork with those descriptions as a gift for that person. Then we post the artworks in the thread on that date and name the person that the gift is for.

I understand about budget constraints and postage/shipping at this time of year is pretty crazy and can be expensive.

For the thematic works, in universe pieces are great to do too. You got me curious and looking forward to seeing your Valentine's piece. :)

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah, here I was under the impression that we would actually be shipping the artwork out to people. If it's like any other "gift art" thing, then I'll bite. I haven't done gift art in ages.