main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD The OFFICIAL Comments, Complaints, and Suggestions Thread-(*Currently Discussing: Holiday Season*)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Rox , May 31, 2002.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Aww...thanks a lot, guys. [face_blush] I'm really honored.

As for the stickies - I'm currently working on the Welcome/Rules/Thread & Artist Index thread(trying to come up with a better name :p ), so look for that in the next few hours. ;)

2. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
  3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    First of all, thanks for the bump, SkyWookiee. :)

Now onto something I want to discuss: the request threads.

I've been getting a few complaints lately about the state of the request threads. Some are saying that they are not effective and it'll be a lot easier to just bring back individual threads. While others are just becoming frustrated that their requests are not being filled.

I think it may be time to rehaul them so that they're purpose is served more effectively. First of all - drawing interest so that more artists pick up on the requests we have listed. Not sure how to go about this exactly, but I just think it's a shame that requests sit there for months without a response.

Secondly, do you really think having seperate threads is effective? And if not, what do you suggest in making them better? Do you want to go back to individual threads are leave it as it is? I am open to suggestions so we can fix this problem together. :)

4. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I just want to up this again so we can get some conversation going in here. I'd really like to hear some feedback on this subject.

I also edited the thread title to reflect upon it - hopefully draw in some more people.

5. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey, HS29--I just wanted to drop in my 2 cents worth on this subject:

I, for one, like having all the requests in one (or two) thread(s)--it actually makes it easier for me if I go looking for a request--and yes, I do browse thru the entire thread to see who wants what (as we all have our "specialties," and our work wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for any request...). If people don't want their request in a combined request thread, perhaps they could peruse the forum, browse the threads and find an artist whose work seems to fit their need, then make a specific request of that artist in that artist's thread, rather than simply begin a separate thread for each request (which, I agree with you, tends to clutter the forum).

Anyway--those are my thoughts. I don't know if it helps at all, but there they are anyway! :)

FF

6. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for the response, FF. This is exactly what I was looking for. :)

As for the points you brought up - I agree with you entirely. It's just that I thought it was time to bring up the topic since I've been getting a few complaints regarding how they are run. If those people could step forward and explain to me why, that would be greatly appreciated.

Something else that caught my attention earlier - putting both of the request threads at the top of the page as sticky threads. This has been recommended by a few users and in all respects, it is a good idea. It would definitely be easy to find for new members and might even get more of our artists to respond. ;)

7. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Yes--"sticky-ing" the request threads to the top of the first page would be a great move, I think: keeps them at the forefront, so we all see them whenever we drop in, and makes them easier for new members to find. I, myself, will usually browse thru them when I see them at the top, and usually note when there's been an update to them, as well. I'll vote for that, too! **waves hand enthusiastically**
    I, too, wish those with a complaint would come forward--it's always easier to resolve an issue when all views/points are on the table...

FF

8. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Well, I was gonna post them as stickies as soon as the spoiler policy was lifted, but it appears a new situation has risen. For some reason, whenever a mod edits the first post of a sticky, it destickies it. There is no explanation as of yet, but we're working on it.

What I want to know is if I should go ahead and still do this? I can always update the second post like I have been doing, but the thread title can no longer reflect when there has been updates. Sticky threads do not allow that. What do you all think?

9. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Is it a hassle to resticky a thread?

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Just that you have to delete the old sticky and then create a whole new thread to resticky it. You can't sticky an existing thread.

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hmmm...sounds like a lot of extra work to do the stickies, then... I understand that a lot of the complaints about the single thread for requests is that it tends to get buried--would it be any less trouble just to bump it now and then, to make sure it stays on page 1? Or would that just be another big hassle...? I think I'm running out of ideas... [face_worried]

FF

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't mind bumping them up every now and then. In fact, I'm still all for the stickies as long as you guys are alright with the thread title not being updated. That's my only concern with this way at the moment. Then again, I can always post in the thread when it's updated.

13. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Actually, Han, that would probably be the best solution for now (until the thread title/editing/stickying thing gets resolved...): just to sticky them up at the top, and we can all see if they've been updated by simply checking the last post date. I really think that keeping them at the top of page 1 is important, if for nothing else than to make sure we all see them each time we stop in/post. By making them obvious that way, more people (particularly the newer artists, more of whom join our ranks every day! :D ) can see them, and hopefully more of the requests will be filled.

Guess that's all I have at the moment... :D

FF

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea, I'd think that would be our best course of action as well. I'm gonna go ahead and work on them tonight and get them started. :)

15. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Big complaint:

If there's one thing that makes me not want to spend time looking through this forum, it's that I always go to pages with a billion images that take until the end of time to load. I'm on dial-up, and I bet a lot of others are, too. So can't it be a forum-wide rule that images be posted as links only? I like to show off my work like anybody else, but I don't have the patience to wait for somebody's 20 1024x768 wallpapers to load.

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    DOTF, I completely understand where you are coming from. I sometimes bypass certain threads because of load times and I'm even on a DSL connection. I think putting a rule into effect that only allows images as links could work, but it would be hard to lock down. If this ends up going through, I can always create a sticky thread at the top of the forum for a week or two outlining the new rule and see where it goes.

Before I put anything into effect, however, I'd like to see where others stand. But I think you brought up an excellent point - one that really does need addressing.

17. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    I haven't read through all the other comments b/c i'm a little lazy. lol. but people how bout when you visit someones pictures leave a comment, cuz you know some of you guys are visiting and then aren't saying a word so just keep it in mind. The artist always appreciates feedback so help us out ok?
    -Arsnl

18. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    Linking to images instead of using thumbnails is cool with me. I like the convenience of seeing thumbs first, but I'm on a cable connection and don't have to deal with any of the aggravation of long downloads.

Concerning our system for handling requests, I understand that it's frustrating for people when their requests just aren't getting filled. Looking at the threads, nearly all of them are available (and I admit I was shocked at how many requests there were).

I'm not really sure what a solution would be. This might not be practical, but maybe we could set up some sort of lottery system? Fanartists who are willing to be in the lottery will sign up and every couple weeks, everyone is randomly assigned one piece of request art.

People who are making the requests could also sign up, so there would be a que for when their request goes into the lottery since I imagine there will be more requests than artists.

The advantage would be that obviously more requests would be filled, and people making requests would have a reasonable idea on when they might get their image.

The disadvantage, obviously, would be that fanartists might not be assigned something they're terribly interested in.

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Sorry about being slow in these responses...

I haven't read through all the other comments b/c i'm a little lazy. lol. but people how bout when you visit someones pictures leave a comment, cuz you know some of you guys are visiting and then aren't saying a word so just keep it in mind. The artist always appreciates feedback so help us out ok?

Well, there's not much I can do about this, but just continue to encourage people to post and hope that they do so. I can't make anyone post comments in artists' threads, they have to make that decision on their own. But I understand where you're coming from and to a certain degree, the artists to get 'fuel' to continue onward from comments and critique.

I'm not really sure what a solution would be. This might not be practical, but maybe we could set up some sort of lottery system? Fanartists who are willing to be in the lottery will sign up and every couple weeks, everyone is randomly assigned one piece of request art.

That's a very interesting solution. It would help to get rid of some of those older requests that date all the way back to January and Februrary, but then the problem arises of artists not wanting to draw/create what they recieve. And I can see you also mentioned that. Personally, I know it becomes tough when I'm assigned something at school that I don't really want to do. I can struggle over it for days before finally getting something down on the paper. But if we can find a good solution to this problem, I wouldn't mind giving this idea a go.

And to continue on the discussion about posting thumbnails in threads and not links - I am agreeing more and more with DotF on this issue as the weeks go by. I am now coming across threads where the first page of the thread is about 20 thumbnails and it's taking forever to load. I know the slow download time is what is preventing me from posting comments in certain threads. But like I said above, I would like to get more feedback on this issue before actually putting a new rule about this into effect.

20. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    I thought this should be bumped to the top again. Does anyone have any ideas for the request system? Come on now, we're a smart group. We should be able to figure something out.

21. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    Well, for the requests, you could reverse the process, show a list of willing artists, who have signed up and have details next to their name, like this

Darth_Arsnl--Specializes in sketches of ships, characters, does terrible with colored pencils and is willing to take on three requests at a time.To view this artist's work or to contact them click here. ect. ect.

And then A person requesting can just contact them based on what they're looking for.

22. Iryla

Iryla Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2005
    As to the thumbnails problem, having the pictures as links is a good idea and I don't see any real reasons why that wouldn't work.

As for the request threads, I like Darth ArsnL's idea because I am not a good drawer but I can do image manipulation and stuff like that. And some people may be really good at drawing, but they need a reference photo or other things. But having someone draw something they are not interested in isn't really a good idea I think. Because if you're interested in something you'll put more effort into it than if you're doing it because you were told to.

I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's my opinion.

23. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    That seems like pretty good idea to me. The only downside I can see is that people might get inundated with requests (there's a lot more requests than artists). But maybe we should give this a go as a sort of experiment and see how it works out?

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I also really like this idea and to be honest, I think we may even have a better turnout with this process. I'm willing to give this a try for a trial period of perhaps a month or something like that. During this time, I'll still keep the normal request threads opened, but I'd encourage everyone to give the new system a try.

25. Semi-DarkLord90

Semi-DarkLord90 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2004
    I like that idea. It would work better in my opinion.

-Semi