main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Had a few excellent beers last night. The Rye Barrel Stout by Central Waters Brewing Company was fantastic, and subtly kicks your ass with the alcohol content (hooray, drinking at sea level), and the Dematerialize IPO from Finback was wonderful with some nice citrus notes. My favorite on the evening, though, was a Sour from Peekskill Brewery called "Walking Talking Paradise" - just a fantastic sour.

Healer_Leona and tom like this.
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    winter seasonals are back. :)

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    And they bring with them all the hops

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Ohhh you got the stout! Such a good one to end the night on :) Agreed on that Peekskill sour -- all of the flavors come through so well and the base beer itself isn't overly sour which could take away from the fruit. I'm so glad you were able to come drink some NY beers at my spot, just wish I could have hung around longer.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  5. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG] The BetterHalf was to sweet for me but I can understand why people would enjoy it. The Evil Twin Bible Belt was delicious . The Clown Shoes DIPA was good but a little to citrusy for me. The Clown Shoes stout with chiles was pretty dang tasty. Just wish it had more Chile flavor. And the Weyerbacher Molé Stout is one of my favs. [​IMG] and I had to try it...... has absolutely no whiskey flavor at all, sadly. Probably won’t even finish this glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That Bible Belt sounds amazing - I had to google it based on the imagine on the can. Need to find it.

7. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    Haha the can is hilarious ! Besides me loving evil twin , I only purchased this beer because of the can!

8. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Made the rounds today to stock up on a selection to last through the holiday weekend. First up, this year's limited holiday release of Duchesse de Bourgogne:

[​IMG]

The cherry is just how I like a cherry beer to taste; the flavor of dried cherries and not a hint of that candy-like, imitation cherry flavor. The chocolate though is incredibly subtle. Almost like the granular finish of a high cocoa, coarse ground chocolate on the beer's finish. It's so faint I'd consider this essentially a cherry beer. Got this in a four pack and I'll probably go back and try to pick up one or two more before it sells out. Definite recommend if you like cherry beers in general though it tastes nothing like the regular Duchesse if that's your jam.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  9. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Up next, it's down to the farm:

[​IMG]

It's been a long time since I've had a really great farmhouse ale. Not since my ability to get my hands on anything from Jolly Pumpkin way down here in NC pretty much dried up a few years ago. I really wish those guys were more prolific brewers. There's nothing quite like that Jolly Pumpkin funk. With Birds Fly South being relatively local I was hopeful they'd be somewhat in the same league.

Alas, they're not ... at all. On initial taste a pleasant funkyness is there but it turns biitter and almost metallic on the back end. Kinda reminiscent of licking a battery. I dunno maybe I got a bad bottle. I can hardly imagine that was what they were going for. I might give them a try again once I'm sure the current stock of where I got it has rotated out.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The lady ... She loves me

[​IMG]

Likely having this fun bottle with dinner tonight

11. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Still working through 'em. Next is colab from a couple more fairly local operations, Ponysaurus and Mystery Brewing:

[​IMG]

It was pretty subdued compared to a lot of saisons I've had, which I've found I actually prefer with lighter bodied beers. No funk, mostly banana and a little apple flavor, with a faint peppery spiciness on the end. And not too sweet. Good all around.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  12. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    Have you tried Epic’s Big Bad Bapiste Stout? It’s pretty dang tasty.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    According to the Untappd App, I have not.

14. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    The remainder of this weekend's fare:

Deschutes Fresh Haze:

[​IMG]

Mother Earth Fig & Raisin barrel-aged:

[​IMG]

and ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Need a review on this one because it looks and sounds incredible

16. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I'm not the biggest fan of barrel-aged beers so take it with the appropriate grains of salt.

It wasn't as sweet as I was mildly worried it might be. More apple in flavor than either fig or raisin to my tongue with a little caramel. Slight oakiness on the finish, but not too dry. I thought it was just OK. Seemed to be missing something to give a little more depth of flavor.

17. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    Dogfish Head makes a beer aged on dates and figs and it is one of my favorites. It’s called Old Skool.
    [​IMG] I haven’t tried the Tuesday beer yet. But I love any stout that DOESNT have coffee included . I’m sick of the coffee stout phase. The Guinness was surprisingly tasty . Subtle barrel flavor( I prefer more) but it was enough for most people. Great flavor of a nice stout without coffee and the head pours thick and creamy. Really enjoying the Guinness and recommend it for anyone loving a stout.

xblackout and DarthIntegral like this.
  18. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I've been enjoying Lagunitas Citrusinensis all through the spring and summer, but with autumn getting long in the tooth it's pretty much disappeared from the local shelves by now. I saw their Super Cluster for the first time a couple of weeks ago and its been a more-than-serviceable replacement. It has essentially the same flavor profile but the citrus of the hops doesn't burst across the taste buds with the same intensity right out of the gate that way it does with Citrusinensis, but as a reward it's has a slightly sweet rather than slightly bitter finish on the back end. It's what I imagine Citrusinensis mixed with a really good pilsner at about 3:1 would taste like.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    AplagueOnTheWise, xblackout and tom like this.
  19. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    My bar recently had a parade of some incredibly phenomenal stouts and it really helped my customers realize it wasn't that big of a deal that we didn't get Bourbon County this year (AB can go **** themselves :D). We kicked things off with our keg of Founders CBS which was just as beautiful as I remember. Followed that up with Prairie Double Dunk which I had been drooling over since seeing it posted in here. It didn't disappoint -- so much Oreo flavor! That was wild. And then we had an imperial stout from my favorite local brewery, Finback. Heinous, a 12% monster brewed with hazelnut, chocolate, and coffee. Maybe the best stout I've ever had. It was just so perfect. And then once that kicked I decided **** it and tapped our keg of Prairie Christmas Bomb from 2016. So basically living my best beer life over here right now :cool:

20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Got recommended these beauties in the local craft ale shop.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

21. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    [​IMG] My local Whole Foods keeps those rare craft brews on tap. This is Founders Lizard of Koz on draft. Slightly sweet and no coffee taste. Absolutely love this 10.5 % stout. And the wings were yummm

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Founders knows their way around an excellent stout. @Healer_Leona taught me that!

23. AplagueOnTheWise

Oct 27, 2013
    Founders knows all the beers! They are , IMHO, the best overall consistent brewery . Other breweries may make a better beer here and there but for quality and uniqueness , Founders takes the cake.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Totally agree about Founders, they are one of my fave breweries.

Spending some time in Austin with my daughter and hoping to find a beer store to get some good local brews.

Also anyone else on untapped? I will admit in order to not look like a lush (too late I know) I don’t post all my beers here, but I do there
    I’m Frieda H. with a Squirrel Girl avatar.

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Strilo likes this.