main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Daniel Wallace Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    To add to the air of general pluginess in my latest posts, and with Superman Returns opening worldwide this week, I want to mention my involvement with Superman Returns: The Visual Guide.

This photo book from DK features movie stills, publicity shots, and production diagrams providing a closer look at the movie, from settings (Metropolis, Smallville, the Fortress of Solitude, New Krypton), to characters (Lex Luthor, Lois, Jimmy, Clark, Lex's henchmen) to miscellaneous fan tidbits (Superman's powers, historical headlines of the Daily Planet, a cutaway look at Lex's luxury yacht).

Dan

2. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    The New Essential Guide to Droids is out now!

I've posted a detailed list of endnotes on my blog, which will explain all the book's in-jokes, references, and retcons. Click here to go to Part 1 of what will be a three-part series!

Dan

3. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Dan, could you please, please, please on Hyperspace add one more droid entry--the cute little Rolo Droids in Mos Espa in TPM?

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Which also appeared on Nar Shaddaa in one of the HoloNet News stories, and are the basis of the Naboo worker droids in Galactic Battlegrounds. And one is mentioned in the TPM-era childrens book "I Am a Droid (by C-3PO)":

Here are two examples of worker droids: Otoga 222 and Rolo. They perform heavy lifting and other jobs in spaceports and in Podrace hangars.

So, I'd guess its a Fifth Degree droid.

5. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Hmmm... it's a good idea, but I'd have to sell it through the Hyperspace folks first. The tricky thing would be illustrating it (which would require Ian Fulwood's involvement too), and making sure we were able to sync it up with sw.com's Database feature.

Dan

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

More future works on the horizon, Daniel?

7. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000
    I have a question that you (Mr. Wallace) may or may not be able to answer....

I know you've done a few end-note posts for the NEGD (and I'm looking forward to more), but I'm curious; do you know of any plans to make online supplements or addendums to any of these? Sorta like the Insider Supplement, is what I'm thinking.

I ask because the NEGtC and NEGtV&V (which I know you did write) came out before EpIII. While there weren't a lot of new characters, there were a LOT of cool new ships.

Ok, enough of my rant, back to my question: do you know of anything like this being considered, either online or even as a hard-copy "add-on" to the regular books?

Thanks for your time....

8. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    the worker droids in Galactic Battlegrounds wre actually a Royal Naboo variant of PK units with unipods

i was tempted to identify the Rolo Droid with the Rollarc Droid , mentioned as one of the Jawa monster uglies, due to similar name, size, and both on Tatooine, but Rollarcs have 4 wheels and Rolos ONLY one

9. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    your book states Luke established contact with Iron Knighst 9 ABY, but Abel in earlier sources stated this only happened c. 13 ABY after Luke got clues from Callista in 11 ABY

??

also, you state there are nine FX models, FX-1 to FX-9; however, CCG had the FX-7 for Rebels and for Empire the more advanced FX-10 (Effex-ten) unit.

??

:)

10. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    The Marvel Encyclopedia this fall. Future Star Wars books are TBD, though I'm definitely trying to line up more projects.

Dan

11. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    I'm not aware of anything like that being planned. The closest thing I can provide as an "extra" to readers of The New Essential Guide to Droids is my Endnotes feature, which should be wrapped up by the end of the week.

Dan

12. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    The timing I used was based on the following, from Abel's "Droids and the Force" article:

Approximately two years after the Jedi Praxeum on Yavin IV was established and using clues the Old Republic Jedi Callista Ming had provided in conversation with Master Skywalker, a group of his students successfully tracked the estranged metal defenders to their base on Dweem.

I think you might have me there. Is CCG the collectible card game, or Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns?

Dan

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Actually, the NEGtD says that Luke contacted them nine years after Endor, which puts it in the correct time bracket.
    That would be the Decipher collectable card game. Here's the FX-10 card. I miss the CCG---it created so much quirky EU backstory for those blink-and-you'll-miss-'em characters. :(

And I love their lore for C-3PO: "Has never been memory-wiped... as far as he knows." Rather prophetic, eh? [face_laugh] :D

14. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    ah, 9 years after Endor is 13 ABY--ok, no problem--my fault

still curious about FX-10 (I did indeed mean the CCG)

and today I figured out that the Alliance safeworld from Gambler's World, Fusai, finally named in NEGTD, is in--Fusai Sector (right next door to Endor), another Dan Wallace creation from Gamer 9!

15. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    I was discussing the timing of the Iron Knights discovery over in the Droids and the Force thread. Sadly I suggested it actually occured later than this, based on remarks made in The Crystal Star which is set in 14 ABY.

There, Han and Luke are investigating Crseih Station, looking for lost Jedi. The relevant quotes were:
    Han's doubt seemed unlikely to me if a large of group of Jedi, such as the Iron Knights, had already been discovered by Luke before 14 ABY. I was hoping to make it just after these events. The next major event chronologicly is Jedi Knight:Jedi Academy. It would have been cool if the IK were discovered by contemparies of Jaden...

16. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Dan: the DD-13 entry mentions the Ubrikkian medlifter transport. Is this meant to be the medical capsule Sid uses to take Vader from Mustafar?

17. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    You guys got me on FX-10. I should go back and add that info to my Endnotes feature.

Dan

18. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Yep, great catch! I also mentioned the Fusai origin in part one of my Endnotes, which you can read here.

Dan

19. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Because the "9 years after Endor" placement was pre-existing, I didn't think I could overrule it in the NEGD. But I think it can still fit... see below...

Okay, but remember that many Jedi had already been discovered by that point in the timeline, and that Han (or maybe even Luke) might not have considered the Iron Knights to be "real" Jedi. Both of those could potentially be used to explain these quotes.

In fact, you can cast all those quotes in a different light by adding some extra dialogue (my additions in italics):

Han to Luke: "And who knows what we'll find when we get where we're going? Maybe some more Jedi Knights to help with the school. Because we already have a whole bunch of new Jedi Knights that we've already discovered. So hey, the more the merrier."

Luke: "But if I do find other trained Jedi, it'll make a big difference. To the Academy. To the New Republic. Because a few more Jedi instructors would finally be enough to get the Academy running on its own, freeing me to save the galaxy more often."

Han did not believe a group of lost Jedi existed. Because, let's face it, Luke had already discovered Callista, Vima-Da-Boda, Beldorion, the Iron Knights, and the Jensaari ... how many more "lost Jedi" could there be?

Dan :)

20. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Crikey, you're right Dan! I don't know why Vonnda McIntyre edited their conversation like that, she really misrepresented what they were saying! ;) [face_shhh]

21. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Just wanted to let everybody know that I'll be appearing this weekend at San Diego Comic-Con International. Here's my schedule ... please stop by and say hi!

Friday 7/21:
    4:00-5:00: signing Superman Returns: The Visual Guide at the DK booth (#5449)
    5:00-6:00: signing The Art of Superman Returns at the Chronicle Books booth (#1019)

Saturday 7/22:
    3:00-4:00: signing The Art of Superman Returns at the Chronicle Books booth (#1019)
    4:00-5:00: signing Superman Returns: The Visual Guide at the DK booth (#5449)
    6:00-7:00: signing Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Droids at the Del Rey booth (#1228)

Sunday 7/23:
    10:00-11:00: signing Superman Returns: The Visual Guide at the DK booth (#5449)

Dan

22. Grand_Lord_Revan

Grand_Lord_Revan Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2006
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry for being late with my reply. I have the same problem with Revan. I also played the game with a female Revan and every time I think of Revan, it's a woman....Well, at least the exile is female ;-) . Do you have ever thought about to write a book about Revan or the past Revan time? It's a bid odd but I prefer the old Sith-Lords ;-) than the new ones, except Darth Vader.

BTW, does anybody know what happened to Jaden from Jedi Academy? Is a squel planned one day. Does she/he has a place in the SW literature? Is there also an official gender?

23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Jaden Korr, a he I believe, survived the Yuuzhan Vong War, and went looking for Kyle Katarn after war when he vanished on a mission to Roon, in the Cloak of the Sith.

24. DarthBroox

DarthBroox Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2003
    Yes, Jaden is male.

25. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    Sometimes. You have yer choice of avatars, in the game. i like the dishy Twi'lek, of course.o_O