main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

A&A The Official Daniel Wallace Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    Thanks Dan. :)

Having read you work many times before, I can honestly say I look forward to the Mon Cal entry.

--Adm. Nick

2. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    And Bastion?

The more I think about it, it's almost impossible to even get a taste of the Outer Rim, because practically every planet is located there. Its like the equivalent of China and the Eastern Hemisphere.

3. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    JediTrilobite, I don't know too much about the Clone Wars Sourcebook yet (well, other than content). I'm sure it's too early for a cover. The last I heard the book would be released in the months prior to Episode III.

KansasNavy, good point about the Outer Rim. Dozens of books could probably be made on OR planets. Geonosis and the Outer Rim should provide a pretty representative overview, however, from the metropolises (such as they are) to the real holes-in-the-wall.

Dan

4. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Is there any chance that the Mon Calamari entry in Geonosis and the Outer Rim will have some info on the newest Star Cruisers from the NJO?

Any chance?

--Adm. Nick

5. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Hey! Anyone interested in the new Wizards of the Coast sourcebook Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds should check out the excerpt available online [link=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/sw20040205geonosis]here[/link].

The excerpt is one of my contributions to the book and details the planet Makem Te and its natives, the toothy Swokes Swokes.

AdmiralNick, don't expect too much detail on the types of Mon Cal star cruisers, but expect plenty of info on Mon Calamari as an adventure setting, including new creatures, new cities, and new wrinkles in Mon Cal history.

Dan

6. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks Dan. :)

I would of bought it anyways, but knwoing that you were involved makes it all the better.

--Nick

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Looks very concise, that excerpt! Odd that the Swokes Swokes planetary population number only 2 billion, whereas as a water-wide world of Mon Cal have 27. The Calamarian entry should be very informative.

8. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    27 billion for Mon Calamari does sound high (though admittedly not impossible), but that bit of info was already established in earlier sources. (On the flip side, Coruscant's official population of 1 trillion is probably too low.)

I picked the figure of 2 billion for Makem Te by starting with Earth's current population of 6 billion and then applying the factor of Makem Te's general inhospitability. Plus, the Swokes Swokes don't seem to be all that common. (By that argument, the galactic population of Twi'leks should be about 700 gazillion.)

Dan

9. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    Hey Dan, good to talk to you!

I have a couple questions that hopefully you can answer for me (at least cryptically).

1) As to the Clone Wars Sourcebook: won't it be a bit incomplete as it is written well be before several of the Clone Wars novels are released? Also, do ya think you could give a page count on this book?

2) Do you know if Elrood is going to make it into G&ORW? I sure hope so :)

Thanks!

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Oh, I got the Calamarian population of 27 bilion from Force Heretic: Remant. Thought I'd misread at first. For a water world of floating cities, that's very high.

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Maybe not. Earth is only 1/3 land with population 6 billion. Since the Mon Cal inhabitants breath underwater and the planet is water covered, just by Earth's number it should be able to reach 18 billion. 27 billion seems reasonable to me.

12. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Hi,

[blockquote]Paul_Klein wrote:
    1) As to the Clone Wars Sourcebook: won't it be a bit incomplete as it is written well be before several of the Clone Wars novels are released? Also, do ya think you could give a page count on this book? [/blockquote]
    Don't know about the page count at this stage. Regarding the inclusion of "new" info, that's always a problem with projects of this nature. While I had access to advance materials (including the outlines for Jedi Trial and the Medstar duology), there will inevitably be some stories that will be left out due to the fact that different licensees are on different deadline schedules.

[blockquote]2) Do you know if Elrood is going to make it into G&ORW? [/blockquote]
    Actually I don't know offhand. It wasn't one of my batch.

[blockquote]Excellence wrote:
    Oh, I got the Calamarian population of 27 bilion from Force Heretic: Remant. [/blockquote]
    Good catch. I think it had appeared in print earlier than that, however, probably in rpg materials. The old West End Games sourcebooks were frequently coming up with stats like that.

Dan

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Dan:

Do you expect WotC to produce other RPG books on different areas of the galaxy? For instance, will we be see a "Kashyyyk and the Mid Rim worlds"?

I look forward to getting GatOR. It should be real fun. :)

--Adm. Nick

14. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    Will the Clone Wars sourcebook cover specific planets from the comics and books?

15. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Admiral_Nick, I'd love to see a Kashyyyk and the Mid-Rim Worlds but we'll have to see what comes down the pike from WOTC. Buying lots of copies of Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds would probably be a good start!

President_Sharkey, the Clone Wars Sourcebook will include a pretty hefty "history" section that will touch on planets that play a key role in the Wars (mostly as battlefronts). Given that I've finished the manuscript and Clone Wars fiction keeps rolling out, I suspect I'll have to go back at some point before publication and make updates to the material.

Dan

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Awesome!

I will definately buy a copy. :)

--Adm. Nick

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Dan:

Is it true that you are doing a New Essential Chronology? Can you give us any details?

I literally would pee myself if there was going to be a new EC. :)

--Adm. Nick

18. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    I would think that such a book would be released some time after Episode III, so it could incorporate practically EVERYTHING; Tales of the Jedi, Prequels, Clone Wars, the "Dark Times", CT, New Republic era, YJK, and finally NJO.

What I would really want to see is a New Essential Guide to Planets. The first one was released soooo long ago, and now it's quite outdated with all the new planets that have been introduced in the past years, as well as the brand new information on most older planets.

19. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    AdmiralNick22 wrote:
    [blockquote]Is it true that you are doing a New Essential Chronology? Can you give us any details?

I literally would pee myself if there was going to be a new EC.[/blockquote]
    Yes, I'm working on a new EC! (I hope that response didn't lead to incontinence.)

President_Sharkey wrote:
    [blockquote] I would think that such a book would be released some time after Episode III, so it could incorporate practically EVERYTHING; Tales of the Jedi, Prequels, Clone Wars, the "Dark Times", CT, New Republic era, YJK, and finally NJO. [/blockquote]
    That's the plan! The new EC will include all 6 movies, the Clone Wars, the New Jedi Order, Knights of the Old Republic, and all the other major timeline chunks that have been told since publication of the original. I think it will do a much better job than the original of feeling like a true "history book," since the original had to come up with a dodge for why Episode II, Episode III, and the Clone Wars didn't have history sections of their own.

[blockquote] What I would really want to see is a New Essential Guide to Planets. The first one was released soooo long ago, and now it's quite outdated with all the new planets that have been introduced in the past years, as well as the brand new information on most older planets. [/blockquote]
    Me too! If a new EGPM were to be released I think it could be a lot better than the original. Fusing the flavor of the original book with the info-heavy approach of something like Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds could give readers a lot more bang for their buck.

Dan

20. xoliver

xoliver Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2001
    Dan,

Coruscant and the Core Worlds is my favourite SWRPG book and the most substantial for new content, and I don't doubt the Outer Rim book will be likewise.

I wondered about Makem Te ever since reading it in the Episode I novelization. Might I ask when you consider the Makem Te rebellion to have taken place? Something like 50 BBY, I'd think.

The original Essential Chronology follows pretty strictly the volume of material that exists, so that its coverage of the New Republic era is excellent, that of the Republic sketchy. I hope you'll be able to supply some new substance to the Rise of the Empire era (I mean the whole era, 1000-0 BBY) and give Republic history believable shape. (Of course, if I was writing it, I'd find the paradox of taking a historical approach to a mythic setting rather tasking.) You see my interest in this era from my Makem Te question.

Star Wars Insider has listed The New Essential Chronology for October 2005, by the way.

21. MrNomAnor

MrNomAnor Jedi Master

Sep 17, 2001
    Regarding the New Essential Chronology:

Can you confirm that the images in the New Chronology will be coloured, following those in the New Character and Vehicles/Vessels Guides?

And as the New Chronology will have much new information to add, will this mean that what was in the original Chronology will be shortened/cut for the new edition?

And will you be working with anyone on the new version (as I'm sure it would be a very arduous task for one person to go through ALL those sources and history!)?

22. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    And as the New Chronology will have much new information to add, will this mean that what was in the original Chronology will be shortened/cut for the new edition?

I hope not. I would much rather see an all inclusive Essential Chronology, more a second edition than a complement to the original.

23. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Zaarin: Glory"

Glory
    the Imperial-I class Star Destroyer dispatched to Venzeiia 2 Prime, it was also the flagship sent to recover the mag pulse technology from Galactic Electronics, in the Corporate Sector. Under the command of Admiral Zaarin, the Glory was used to keep Darth Vader at bay until Zaarin could get to Coruscant to capture Emperor Palpatine. The Glory was Zaarin's escape vehicle from Coruscant when Vice Admiral Thrawn showed up with the Vanguard and the modified corvette Mescue. (TIE)

That Glory?

24. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    xoliver wrote:
    [blockquote] I wondered about Makem Te ever since reading it in the Episode I novelization. Might I ask when you consider the Makem Te rebellion to have taken place? Something like 50 BBY, I'd think. [/blockquote]
    Cool, I'm glad you picked up on the reference from the Episode I novelization! That reference was one of those offhanded things, making me think it would be cool to resurrect it and give it some context. (I did something similar in Coruscant and the Core Worlds with the planet Metellos, which had appeared years ago as a one-sentence mention in the great Dark Empire Sourcebook.)

[blockquote] The original Essential Chronology follows pretty strictly the volume of material that exists, so that its coverage of the New Republic era is excellent, that of the Republic sketchy. I hope you'll be able to supply some new substance to the Rise of the Empire era (I mean the whole era, 1000-0 BBY) and give Republic history believable shape. (Of course, if I was writing it, I'd find the paradox of taking a historical approach to a mythic setting rather tasking.) You see my interest in this era from my Makem Te question. [/blockquote]
    I agree with you on that and I hope to "fill in the blanks" a little better this go-around. The problem, as you can understand, is that, in-universe, this thing is a history book, but in the real world it's a summary of the major publishing projects that have appeared under the Lucasfilm banner. So you get weird bits like a section about Lando fighting Glottalphibs on Smugglers' Run (not really textbook material) but only a couple lines on the pre-Republic conqueror Xim the Despot. Lean too much in the opposite direction, however, and you've got a legion of readers wondering, "So what's this Xim novel they keep referring to?"

MrNomAnor wrote:
    [blockquote] Can you confirm that the images in the New Chronology will be coloured, following those in the New Character and Vehicles/Vessels Guides? [/blockquote]
    Yep, it will almost certainly be in color.

[blockquote] And as the New Chronology will have much new information to add, will this mean that what was in the original Chronology will be shortened/cut for the new edition? [/blockquote]
    Yes, to some degree, but I'll try to minimize the pain as much as possible. The New Rebellion will always have a place in the Chronology, but maybe we don't need to have that section on Lando and the Glottalphibs considering we'll also be including Episode II, Episode III, the Clone Wars, and the New Jedi Order.

[blockquote] And will you be working with anyone on the new version (as I'm sure it would be a very arduous task for one person to go through ALL those sources and history!)? [/blockquote]
    I'll be working on this one on my own, though I'll be using the original Chronology (co-written by Kevin J. Anderson) as a baseline. So in many ways Kevin's fingerprints will still be in the second edition.

Dan

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I just purchased a copy online Dan.

I have no doubt that this will be a good book, just like the others you have done in the past.

I do have a question about the New Essential Chronology, if that is alright.

Several months back a friend and I started a thread on these boards about Ackbar and Pellaeon's battles in the year before the Empire surrendered. You posted alot of neat stuff on that thread for us, explaining the set up of the situation.

Is there any chance that you will be including more about that major campaign, as you did in the well put together New Essential Guide to Characters? Since it was the campaign that no doubt convinced Pellaeon of the futility to still fighting the New Republic, I hope that you include it in the NEC. And, judging by your entry on Ackbar in the NEGTC, it seems that it may be his crowning achievement, with the possible exception of his victory at Ebaq Nine in Destiny's Way.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on for so long. :)

--Adm. Nick