main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Darth Maul Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by whoblowsthere, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whoblowsthere

whoblowsthere Jedi Youngling

Jul 15, 2004
    Seriously how ****ing awesome is Maul? One of the coolest characters in the saga. Right up there with the Fetts. :D

WHO BLOWS THERE

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    Amen to that brother
    I remember between TPM and AOTC there was a rumor going around about Maul being a re-generative species and that he would be returning as the Sith villian in AOTC
    I was totally juiced to see him new and improved, and hopefully get more screen time and dialogue
    I also hoped they would pit Anakin against him
    I mean, you couldn't get a cooler saber duel than Maul vs. the would-be Vader!!
    obviously, I was disappointed to get an old crickety man in his place

but Maul will always live on as the coolest (and pretty much only cool) character in TPM, and probably the entire PT (so far...)

I still sit up straight in my seat every time one of his scenes comes up in TPM, it makes the film worth watching

3. Wrath_Mania

Wrath_Mania Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Maul was cool, and when watching the saga in chronological order he introduces us what the Sith are and what danger they represent. I like Tyranus more, but Maul was cool.

4. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    TPM had lots of cool characters, IMO. The two Jedi and Pamdé- who was more hot than cool.

5. Wrath_Mania

Jun 9, 2004
    I didn't think Padme was hot in TPM... although she had a lot more character, I thought, then she did in AOTC. She was hotter in AOTC though, so it balances itself out.

6. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    Maul is the coolest/baddest sith yet in the Star Wars movies. I thought they should have brought him back in some way...

7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Well, okay. Padmé's character wasn't hot in TPM but Natalie Portman is. :)

8. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I liked the idea from first seeing previews of THe Phantom Menace of a Ninja-esque Sith Lord to be in direct contrast to the Samurai-esque Jedi Knights. Darth Maul will go down as one of the best villains in cinema history. [face_devil]

His fluid grace, capabilities with a double-bladed lightsaber, his malevolent aura, his imposing and appearence that looks like something straight from the depths of hell, his voice, and his starship are all bad ass. :cool:

<[-]> Saber

9. JediPirate

JediPirate Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2004
    Darth Maul is one of the only things that makes TPM enjoyable.

10. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I like the contrasting styles of badguys from TPM to AotC. From total badass to refined gentleman. But I've always wanted to see how Dooku would've handled Maul (I think he'd do better than his old padawan ;) )

11. Wrath_Mania

Jun 9, 2004
    Maul is fire, Dooku is smoke.

Maul comes at you full force, he holds nothing back.

Dooku lets you on the offensive first, is patient, until finally he sees an opening and exploits it to devastating precision.

Dooku is precision, Maul is Overwhelmingness.

12. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Darth Maul is definitely the best thing about TPM, like people have said the contrast between him and the Jedi makes for an interesting confrontation. I always liked the fact that he is so good he uses a double sided lightsaber even though it is harder and riskier to use.

13. Marcus-Aurelius

Marcus-Aurelius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2004
    I think everyone would concur that Darth Maul was really one of the best villains to put in the opening chapter of the saga.

14. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I wouldn't.

15. Marcus-Aurelius

Jun 18, 2004
    I stand corrected.

16. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    I do agree with the author of this post and I've always viewed Maul as a ninja-esque sith. His fighting style is very Asian. Wushu to be specific so I guess that would be Chinese (trying to be PC).

I thought that Maul and Obi had alot in common actually. Their fighting styles were very similar, almost identical.

I also like Maul because he doesn't have the normal stature of an intimidating bad guy. Hes short, cut and strong. Hes also silent, which I think fits his character well. It keeps me wanting more, even though its a tragedy I shall recieve none.

17. Marcus-Aurelius

Jun 18, 2004
    He's an interesting villain because we would like to know more about his past. Tyranus was more interesting, I think, because his offer to Obi-Wan and his real motives are not clear yet. Dooku may actually hate Sidious becasue his last apprentice killed Qui-Gon, his former apprentice. That's depends on if he knows that, though.

18. Star-Raider

Star-Raider Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2004
    I fail to relize what makes Maul so great.

I'll take Assaj or Vader over Maul anyday.

;)

19. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I'll take Assaj or Vader over Maul anyday.

I agree.

A psycho bald chick, and a giant guy in Black Armor always trump and old man and a hyper-active clown.

20. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    Darth Maul was evil but for me Darth Vader is the most evil of them both.
    My opinion is based on the fact that I was 5 when ANH came out in '77 and seeing someone that big and scary not to mention the way he breathed and talked at the same time really put the fear in me. It was not explained at the time why and how he could do both of those actions, so hearing him was just as scary as seeing him. I still get goosebumps to this day whenever I see him step out onto the blockade runner when the smoke clears.
    Very imposing and very malignant Darth Vader is for me.

21. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    I agree that Vader may be more, imposing, but Maul is just Death ready to come after you. No "lack of faith disturbing", no "pray I don't alter it further" lines; just comes out ready to destroy, no discussion at all. BTW, I am extremely biased because I LOVE martial arts!

22. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    Maul is awesome, but Vader is just...evil. Vader seems to prefer to do things the much more interesting way, like when your admiral fails you in an attack against Rebels and you choke him from the other side of your ship without lifting a finger.

23. General_Kor

General_Kor Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2004
    I wish Maul had more of a speaking role, besides one line. Maul didn't seem very malevolent or evil, just the bad guy's flunkie with some awesome martial arts skills. Yoda vs. Maul would be a cool fight though.

24. SithHolocron

SithHolocron Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2003
    He had a bit of a speech about "Fear" in the "Duel of the Fates" music video of John WIlliams performing with his orchestra. That was really great, IMO.

25. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Maul didn't seem very malevolent or evil, just the bad guy's flunkie with some awesome martial arts skills

I've always thought Maul comes across as very evil, especially the way he kills Qui-Gon without any hesitation and then immediatly turns to Obi-Wan with just one thing on his mind. Its like he lives to kill Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.