main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub The Official Darth Maul Fan Club

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Evil Incarnate, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Hi Erkan,

nice pictures. I like how the lightsabers are glowing, especially that of Savage in the last picture.

Erkan12 likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thread title edited at the request of Erkan.

Erkan12 and Sudooku like this.
  3. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Let's see how Filoni will deal with Maul in TCW S7, I don't have big expectations after he disrespected Maul at the Rebels Twin Suns though. [face_dunno] Let's see.

[​IMG]

cwustudent likes this.
  4. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    @Erkan12 My problem with Twin Suns isn't about how Maul himself was treated (I thought his actual end was fitting), but the fact that they felt the need to waste 15 minutes of the episode on Ezra and Chopper's misadventures in the desert.

One of my main gripes with the current state of Star Wars animation is how the plots of every show now have to revolve around a core group of characters who get the lion's share of the screen time to the detriment of everyone else. The anthology format that TCW did so well is dead. Ezra Bridger is the absolute worst part of Rebels for me, and it was made all the worse by the fact that he's in literally every single episode, taking up space from other characters who actually needed screen time and development (Sabine comes to mind especially). And now Clone Wars has been reduced to The Ahsoka and Rex Show with everything else being cast aside as "nonessential," likely to be forgotten by the fandom at large and never given to us in any form. Clone Wars was at its best when it got to explore parts of the galaxy that were detached from the main conflict and characters, but now those of us who were invested in those plotlines get no closure and we're told we should be satisfied by seeing the end of Ahsoka and Rex's stories. I, personally, am not.

cwustudent and Erkan12 like this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Best part about Ezra's scenes was when Maul saved Ezra from the Sand People, was better than Kenobi's version in ANH.

Filoni's BS and his commentary aside, I think in the actual cartoon it boiled down to two old masters. Both knew eachother's fighting styles, both at an age and time in their lives where there was no room for a drawn out battle like the old days, there was no audience there and nobody but themselves this duel mattered to. Maul's machine legs were obviously breaking down and he survived an un-survivable long trek in the Tatooine desert that only he could survive while Kenobi was fresh and overall healthy for this duel. Kenobi's wasnt fighting for himself, he was fighting to protect Luke from Maul potentially doing whatever he wanted to him. Maul thought he could use his hilt to-face-blow, he kinda forget that hilts dont stop lightsaber stikes cause and guys are supposed to be arrogant which somehow means stupid to Star Wars directors. It was just a dumb overall rushed and lazily contrived arc, but marginally better than "Old Wounds" which was its direct inspiration.

To me, the only way Maul's death in Twin Suns made sense is if Maul allowed himself to be killed like Kenobi did with Vader in ANH. Kenobi cradling a dying Maul would not of been something Kenobi would've done unless he knew Maul changed. Kenobi also gives him an honorable burial with Jedi's funeral pyre.

With Ray Park actually playing the role and with capacity we do not yet know, bit it should be fun and entertaining. Maul is using his old outfit in that clip and this was always supposed to have the Siege of Mandalore in it. That was not the updated Maul look we saw at Celebration that was to more align with SOLO. So am wondering if his role was expanded or they went back and updated the animation. But I think Park's casting had to do with his return in SOLO. So my guess Maul's role was expanded upon for the finale season.

Am more awaiting Park's Darth Maul movie return again which will be coming up.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  6. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    @The Shadow Emperor @Vorax
    I was talking about this actually, unfortunately he has no consistency.

Dave Filoni : ''To do it right, to make it exciting - that's a whole act, because the fans of Pre Vizsla, are gonna mob me at Celebration in the future if Vizsla goes down too easily.''

Dave Filoni : ''If you talk to a lot of people that sword fight they’ll tell you people that are very good don’t have long fights. It’s very quick. And so that scene is an homage to The Seven Samurai.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    cwustudent likes this.
  7. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah sure Dave. The damn Seven Samurai is totally real and people fight all the time with swords, every other day man.[face_rofl]

Neither Hollywood or Japanese cinema are real, nor are they are authentic. And I doubt either Maul or Kenobi are fighting for scored points with bamboo.

Moreover on top of that Maul is a skilled fighter of the highest elite caliber and was specially shown to be superior to the Jedi & he clearly defeated Kenobi in TPM. It was not like Maul lost the fight cause of being less- it was just Lucas telling the actor and actor to just stay and not act. Maul is not a novice or moron carrying a sword either like in those Japanese movies anytime the hero fights an enemy and nor was Kenobi in ANH ever shown to be the greatest swordsman that ever lived.

Pre Vizsla being played by a big time director that had a big interest in the franchise and could be good things for your own career am sure did not influence your thinking... just them Mando cosplayers - we all know Pre has a bigger fan base than Maul,lol.

I think Ray was being respectful to the brand and to Filoni cause they work together and all. But the way Ray explained it(SW:Insider) after talks with Filoni was that they were two master craftsmen that could not afford to make a mistake and Maul got arrogant and it was over. Primarily it was supposed to be sold as a homage to the old martial arts movies and for this subverted expectations and minimalist type duel.

When Filoni shot that episode he was clearly very lazy and arrogant. I think there was push back after the controversial episode and once Ray got cast in SOLO, things more than likely changed for the TCW revival fight scenes featuring Maul.

Do I trust Filoni handling Maul, absolutely not since he's been talking smack and upfront with his wishy washy handling and ideas featuring the character. he was against bringing him back, and he wanted him killed off again during The Lawless , Lucas overode him. Not sure of his "powers" without Lucas but he's still rather a strange bird. He killed off and brought back Ahsoka twice(Mortis arc and again in Rebels) and he favored Kanan surviving Season Two finale and was kinda for Maul getting killed then but came up the Kenobi angle for later - probably after lots of talks and cause the character is a major draw.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    The Shadow Emperor and Erkan12 like this.
  8. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Does this seem right? :D
    [​IMG]
    Does young Maul see the Jedi as evil?

Erkan12 likes this.
  9. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    This thread is deserving more attention. [​IMG]

10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Excerpt of 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark'

"Tell me, child, do you know who I am? Do they whisper my name in the classrooms of your academy, down the winding halls of your space station, in the hollows and fields of your farming planet, or across the dunes of your desert home? If they do, what do they say of me? That I was once a great Sith Lord, apprenticed to the most powerful being in the galaxy? That I killed the legendary Jedi named Qui-Gon Jinn at the Battle of Naboo? Do they remember my glory? My distinctive black-and-red skin and horns? My unmatched skill with the double-bladed lightsaber? Or do they just remember how I died?

Ah, I can see your confusion. Dead? If I am dead, then how am I here, telling you this tale? You are perceptive, a good listener. You would have made a promising Sith apprentice.

You are right, of course. I am not dead. I did not die that day when, after I had defeated Qui-Gon Jinn, his selfish and murderous apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, struck me down. Kenobi was maddened with rage, and in his rage he severed me in half, cut my legs from under me!

I know it is a gruesome image to contemplate, young friend, and I apologize if you are squeamish. But it is best you understand now what the Jedi are capable of. You have likely been lied to all your life about their nature, their goodness, but the truth is that . . . No, no, not yet. I get ahead of myself. We will come to the true nature of the Jedi soon enough. All you need to know is that I lived. I prefer to say only that I survived because it was not much of a life. I survived in darkness, lost to madness, discarded and forgotten . . . until my brother found me and set me on my path of revenge.

I do not remember how I came to be on the junk planet Lotho Minor. I must assume that after the Battle of Naboo my body was dumped there like so much trash. Through sheer will and driven by my hate of Obi-Wan Kenobi, I survived down in the darkest depths of the planet. I fashioned for myself out of discarded metal a lower body that resembled the abdomen and legs of a spider. It suited my circumstances. Creeping, creeping, small and broken, always waiting, I was. Until the most unlikely day.

I found someone else in my cave. A man, as I used to be. With markings like mine and horns, bearing a lightsaber. At first I thought him a vision, a symptom of my madness, but then he called me brother!

What could it mean? A . . . brother? Come to find me, to save me? You must understand that my mind was very broken. I had lived alone in the darkness for so long, years and years I could not remember, lost in my pain and grief, thinking only of what had been taken from me. And now to be found? To be given another chance at life? Well, I am ashamed to say that at first I could not comprehend it. I fought him. Tried to kill him. But he was too strong and drove me back. He said his name was Savage Opress, but his name meant nothing to me. I could not even remember my own.

Only one name did I remember between my mutterings and rantings and screaming howls, and I said it then to him.

Kenobi, Kenobi, Kenobi.

Savage Opress did not recognize the Jedi’s name, but he knew I needed help. So he lured me to his ship and took me back to our home planet Dathomir. Again, I do not remember much of our journey. My mind, so broken. So lost . . .

But I remember what came next.

Mother Talzin was a witch, the most powerful of the Nightsisters. She wielded great magicks and all the Dathomirians respected her as our leader. She was there to greet our ship and take me to her altar. There, she commanded me to sleep. I lay back on the cold stone and let her work.

First came the green smoke. It enveloped me, entering my eyes and ears and mouth, filling my senses. At the same time, she drew out the darkness that had infested my brain, a black miasma of pain and confusion. And slowly, as she worked her magicks on me, my mind began to return. First my name. And then my brother’s name. Then my planet, and my past as a Sith Lord, and all the details of my life came rushing back. Especially Kenobi.

I was whole in mind but was still attached to my spider body. I can see now that it was a grotesquerie, but it had served me well on Lotho Minor. Nevertheless, Mother Talzin knew it would not do. She tore it from my flesh and fashioned me powerful mechanical legs from the wreckage of droids, and armored bracers for my arms, and a plated collar for my neck. It was agony and I screamed out, but I had suffered so much already, had known suffering like you will never know, my young friend, and I endured.

And in the end. I was whole.

“Brother,” Savage said, and this time I could answer him.

I sat up, grabbing his jaw. I pulled his face to mine to stare into his eyes. The same golden eyes as mine. The eyes of the man who had saved me.

“Brother,” I growled."

https://ew.com/books/read-the-exclu...ocial&utm_content=link&utm_source=twitter.com

The Shadow Emperor and Erkan12 like this.
  11. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    Thoughts on Maul’s actions towards Ahsoka in the TCW Finale?

I found this particularly funny that Maul was willing to cost himself time to escape, by force throwing objects and force pushing Ahsoka.

It didn’t appear that Ahsoka was going to harm him at all, and was just looking to escape with Maul — yet Maul of course was having none of that after her refusal to join forces with him on Mandalore.

Erkan12 likes this.
  12. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    I posted this in the Sidious fanclub thread earlier but I'll post it here too, it's a picture I drew of young Siddy playing with plushies:
    [​IMG]

13. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
  14. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012
    That second image is the statue I'd want.

Erkan12 likes this.
  15. Fel Corvax

Fel Corvax Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2020
    May I join? I generally am not a fan of Disney, but I prefer canon maul over legends maul, except for the whole twin suns thing

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Erkan12, Sudooku and Vorax like this.
  16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I think Darth Maul comic series(2000) has to be still my favorite. I strongly recommend that, great art too.

Darth Maul: Lockdown was very good too, I enjoyed how he didn't use his Force powers and just overwhelmed all the deadly characters and monsters anyway. Also he expressed some affection towards Komari Vosa which was interesting. But what the EU and Canon both share is that Maul is deeply layered and multifaceted. Darth Maul's journal was interesting. Seems like a canon version of it exists since Maul narrates his own tales in his Marvel comics and now in "The Clone Wars Stories of Light and Dark."

Erkan12, E. L.Knight and Sudooku like this.
  17. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012
    Interesting. I need to read those.

Erkan12 and Vorax like this.
  18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, you should bud.

Also interesting that I had once thought in Season 8 teaser/trailers that Maul was using half of Savage's lightsaber. But it ended up being the hilt of Ventress's Dark Disciple's lightsaber, which is itself mysterious.

But on the new Sideshow statue, it is now indeed half of Maul's and the other half Savage's:

[​IMG]

Erkan12 likes this.
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Darth Maul has certenly become one of my favorite sith lords, have a tattoo of him on my arm.

teamhansolo and Erkan12 like this.
  20. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Welcome. I have to agree with ''twin suns thing'' even though they tried to explain it with the later interviews, if you are interested;

link removed upon request. /heels

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2020
    Fel Corvax likes this.
  21. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Behind Lord Vader and Emperor Palpatine he’s my favorite; that’s the list 3. All hail the prince of Dathomir

22. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul departs from the EU Sith philosophy that a Sith Lord should never lose their lightsaber found in the Book of the Sith since its acts as an extension of their own body and will, and even the Jedi's attachment and core dependence on the lightsaber in canon. To Sith, if one loses their lightsaber it was as if one has suffered an amputation. To Maul, he's just as dangerous unarmed as he is armed. To him the Force is both an ally and a weapon. Plus his speed and martial arts is often enough to overpower & kill otherwise potential formidable enemies,lol.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  23. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017

Even the Official account loves him

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Erkan12 and E. L.Knight like this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Darth Maul deserves his own show.

Erkan12 and Ben-Solo like this.