main
side
curve

Fanclub The Official EUC Grey Jedi Fan Club - Unknown, unseen and unsung

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Kev-Mas_Colcha, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Force Ghost star 7

Apr 27, 2014
    There are many I shall have to research.

Those I know is:

Ahsoka Tano
    Bendu
    Jolee Bindo
    Revan
    Cade Skywalker
    Kyle Katarn
    Qui-Gon Jinn
    The Father

I an thrilled Revan is on this poster. I would love to have this put on a bedroom wall as examples of the Balance we seek as Grey.

2. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Force Ghost star 5

Nov 5, 2019
  3. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    Please continue, I would like to hear your thoughts on this. :qui:

4. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    Well, the amount of people he kills and the sort of powers he uses dont seem that grey to me.

5. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I’d respectfully disagree, Galen in The Force Unleashed novel (which is the Legends canon of his story) turns from the Dark Side and faces the Emperor to help give The Rebels time, he makes a sacrifice of himself. Kyle Katarn says, “Its not the powers that are good or bad, its how you use them.”

That being said, It would be interesting to determine what is criterium for a Grey or Balance, was it that they lived in both poles of the Light and Dark, thus tasting the fullness of the Force once they have? Revan used both Ashla and Bogan, while Kyle Katarn used both powers of the Light and Dark and choose to hold to Jedi philosophy while doing so. Revan embraced the Spectrum, and even found the Pure Force while fighting the Emperor.

But what in the end constitutes the balance, the Bendu? Does it matter if you are Jedi or Sith? Kanan was a Jedi who learned balance from Bendu. Can you say you walked the Grey if you’ve been a Jedi and then Sith and then a Prodigal? Or is it something else?

greyjedi125 and darthbernael like this.
  6. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    Yeah i suppose galen was good in the end it's just when you say starkiller grey isnt exactly what i think of first.

I think of this

[​IMG]

greyjedi125 and darthbernael like this.
  7. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I don't think of Galen as grey for a different reason: he doesn't match up philosophically. Being a Grey Jedi is more than just using "both sides" of the Force or going to the Darkside and back to the lightside or vice versa. It's a mindset and a way of life.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

8. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 7

Jan 8, 2005
    By that logic, Anakin Skywalker is Grey because he turned on the Dark Side in the last moments of his life.

I assume you guys are referring to Starkiller, correct?

9. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Had Anakin lived, he might have become Grey or Greyish.

Yes, Starkiller (Galen Marek).

10. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    So here's an exercise we can all participate in. Choose a Force User from the list above, or another you may favor, and state 'why' you see them as grey.

Sent from Dagobah System

11. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    The Father, in my opinion, is definitely grey. Despite the fact that he absolutely hates the term "Grey Jedi" with a concerning amount of vitriol behind it, Dave Filoni sure does like to write characters that are picture perfect Grey Force Users. Whether it be Bendu, Ahsoka or The Father, they all aren't necessarily called Grey Jedi explicitly but they emulate all the traits one might consider to be ascribed to a Grey Jedi.

The Father in particular, is a blatantly obvious "Grey Avatar". He represents the balance between his two children, which represent light and dark and it's really quite obvious. He doesn't favor one of his children over the other, and his primary focus is maintaining the balance of the Force.

12. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Agreed.

However, he does not inhabit a space like other jedi or sith, so his behavior in a common environment cannot be observed. I was thinking more in terms of force users that go through day-to-day challenges and how their 'grey approach' may differ from the established norms.

13. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Very well, I'll propose one that wasn't in that image then.

Vergere. Yes, while her actions were definitely malicious and manipulative, ultimately serving the Dark Side all along, Vergere's philosophy was definitely grey, but also an example of how the Grey way can be corrupted and imbalanced, because at it's core said philosophy is very Grey. Like us, she looked at the bigger picture. She saw the Force as one. But what she did with that knowledge is a different story.

That story is a cautionary tale for a Grey Jedi, but a story relevant to us nonetheless. A story that stresses how hard it is to balance one's self on the fine Grey line we walk each day, and what might happen if we cross it.

Alternatively, Kreia/Traya could be another example for the exact same reasons as Vergere.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    darthbernael and greyjedi125 like this.
  14. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Thank you for using Vergere, I was wondering if anyone was going to mention her. I agree with your comment regarding her story as a cautionary tale.

As for Darth Traya, I am not a fan of hers, nor of the lore surrounding her, ( a personal preference ) but to each his own.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Kev-Mas_Colcha and darthbernael like this.
  15. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    For those of you who relax or meditate with music, I would share this with you.
    Be at Peace, Light be with you.

16. Salem

Salem Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2021
    That's soothing. Thanks for the share.

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 6

Apr 25, 2004
    I feel like every single "grey Jedi" is really just a regular light-side Jedi. Take Jolee Bindo for instance, if you pick the dark side option at the Rakata temple he says, "I am a Jedi, and I will never bow before a Sith!'. So maybe he doesn't follow the Jedi Code to the letter, and for whatever reason his light/dark meter is right down the middle...but when push comes to shove, he's definitely a light-sider.

18. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I can see that for some, but mainly if you give them a binary choice. If you gave Qui-Gon a choice, he might choose the Grey, specifically because he looked for a larger view of the Force.

There are some notable people on the extremes. Obi-Wan on one hand. Palpatine on the other. It's interesting to note who was trained by both of them!

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    One of my reasons for taking a break from the Grey Way is that without sides, without the conflict between Light and Dark, it is a bore. We all if we are honest yearn to see Sith in black mantels draw the latest lightsaber weapon, whither staffsaber or crossguard blade; we also long to see a Jedi don their brown or black hood, and come to the rescue. We feel glee at the Duel of Fates in each holorecording (film)., if we are honest

The Sith are right that conflict is the axis of the Force, even Master Luke and Supreme Leader Snoke agree Paladins of the Light and Disciples of the Dark rise in response to each other:

“Darkness rises, Light to meet it.” -Snoke

“Powerful Light, Powerful Darkness.” -Luke, TLJ

We have to pick a side, even Qui-Gon agrees, and many claim him to be Grey:

It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness. Even if there can be no more joy in the galaxy than there is pain. For every action we undertake, for every word we speak, for every life we touch—it matters. I don’t turn toward the light because it means someday I’ll ‘win’ some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.” -Qui Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray

Balance I feel is impossible. We have to pick a side, “be a candle or be the dark.” (Master Yoda)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  20. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I respectfully disagree, my friend. And agree. I know that's a contradiction. I don't care.

RL example: I was talking to a coworker once about politics. (Mods, please bear with me.) I said if I was elected to Congress, I would never, ever vote for war. I don't care if the Russians are landing on our shores in mega-ships. I wouldn't do it. In one sense, I'm agreeing with you: I've chosen my side.

On the other, I'm disagreeing. I'm going against what my constituents would choose for personal belief: that I can't, in good conscience vote for agressive action. To be fair, I'm trusting in the majority to do the right thing an repel those nasty Russkies. So I'm going my own way... and disagreeing with your premise. I haven't gone with an expected choice.
    When the Gulf War broke out, some in Congress voted against it exactly as I've laid out. I very much respected ther position. They were called cowards.

Get it?

21. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I respect your views immensely. If I may, you are addressing personal convictions versus foreign policy that constituents want. My issue lies in nature of the cosmic poles of the Light and Dark Sides (moral and mystical), that while politics may be grey, we have seen that politics are swayed by the mystical, The Emperor or the Jedi influencing politics in the Force Wars.

I do agree convictions versus honoring your constituents is a difficult balance, hence why few can manage compartmentalizing in politics.

My claims are more geared towards the Conflict, there will always be Jedi and Sith (or at least agents of the dark) warring because of the Light and Dark, just as there is Democracy vs Fascism: freedom vs tyranny. I say no balance can be struck between these extremes, but that is my convictions, absolutes are real or we all go mad.

22. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    True, but you're quoting Qui-Gon saying the individual must choose the Jedi, because, otherwise, the Sith have won. I can't agree. I have to be myself. If the Sith win, then so be it. I trust in the majority to make sure that doesn't happen.

23. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    What I meant by Qui-Gon’s quote is you have to choose a side, his first words is “it matters what side we choose.” I used this to illustrate Qui-Gon is not Grey, he believes you must pick the Light or the Dark. I am not claiming the Jedi Path is the right choice, but rather we must choose a path, Light or Dark. As @Alpha-Red brought up, Grey when pushed and when it matters side with the Jedi Path. It is Dark Jedi, not Gray, who side with the Sith. He used Jolee Bindo as an example, which is apt, because most fans consider Bindo a true Gray Jedi.

I personally haven’t discovered to which side I yet belong. I know my creativity (prose) and agency thrives in the Passion of the Dark Side, but my heart sings with the Jedi anthem and The Village Bride (SW Visions). But I know I must one-day choose.

24. greyjedi125

Apr 29, 2002
    Most intriguing....

The above brings to mind why there are so few 'grey jedi' overall. The concept of balance is not as easily attained as most would think, for it is easier to think in extremes.

Who decided one had to pick one or the other? The 'side' you pick is a personal choice: Light or Dark, Both, Neither, Everything in Between. Balance.

Is the Bendu wrong? Are the Aing-Tii? Do we not accuse the Jedi and Sith of imposing their tenets on others? Is their understanding the final word on the Force?

The above quote for Qui Gon Jinn speaks of his choice. Yoda speaks of his own limitation. Only Snoke and Luke seem to agree. Yet balance is a state that is sought after, not only in science, but in life as well. A planet too far from the sun will freeze, one too close will burn, the one in balance will sustain life, with day and night and varying seasons.

Jolee Bindo eschewed the Jedi and the Sith, not the Light. He never called himself a 'grey jedi', his detractors did. No one has a monopoly on the Force, or a final word outside of their personal experience.

The Force is One, for all these gradients are part of the same Force. As Force Users, we may move to different points during our journey, some lighter or darker than others. These points are all connected, they are part of our continuing and transforming experience. To think them as disjointed could lead to inner conflict.

I do encourage you to continue in your journey, continue to seek truth and clarity and do not fear the unknown- it might just be the answer you seek the most.

25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The Great Schism definitely had a hand in the advent of choosing Light or Dark, when The Jed’aii Way (Balance) faded away except in certain circles. The loudest and largest circles are The Jedi and Sith, akin to Republicans and Democrats. Independents exist, just as the Grey do, but the President is always Blue or Red, the colors of the Jedi and Sith. I am using an analogy, not claiming Republicans or Democrats are Jedi or Sith, I mean to say the Jedi and Sith are largest Force organizations, just as Republicans and Democrats are largest political parties in the US. That is my comparison, numbers and influence, not a direct parallel.

To be clear I do not think the Grey or other Force factions are anathema, they choose a path I simply cannot tread at this time, that as you said Caretaker, few can. Most will circle in orbit of the poles, of Light and Dark, but there will always be those who see The Force in a different prism, purple.

darthbernael and greyjedi125 like this.