main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Official Fan Art Banner Contest **DEADLINE SEPT. 10TH**

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DarthMaul431, Aug 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Numanus

Darth_Numanus Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    now, i hate to sound snide, because Gabe your banner is very good, but i can only count about 3 of the nominated pieces of work....so im not qute sure if its deviated a little too far from the original purpose of the fan art forum banner.

am i being too hard?

-num

2. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Why limit the banner content to just the current forum contributors? The forum's focus is fan-art, and that's what the banner is made of, Star Wars artworks created by fans. All of the pieces I used found it's way in to this forum at one point in time. What's the big deal?

If you want to base the banner on artwork supplied and nominated solely by current visitors and contributors you might as well change the title to 'banner/popularity contest'.

3. Darth_Numanus

Feb 22, 2002
    ** sorry about the double post **

woah Gabe calm down, im not prosecuting you. i'm just trying to establish whether or not what you have done is acceptable. noone is arguing the fact that what you have used for your banner *is* fanart.

If you want to base the banner on artwork supplied and nominated solely by current visitors and contributors you might as well change the title to 'banner/popularity contest'.
    what makes using the nominated artworks a popularity contest?

-num

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Why limit the banner content to just the current forum contributors?

Because the entire original concept for this banner was to represent the artwork being produced by our forum community.

And I have not witnessed a single artist treat the concept or the nomination process as a popularity contest. Not at all.

5. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I agree.

I think the idea of the nominations was to prevent it from being a popularity contest. Everyone was asked to nominate one of their own images as well as another user's. That way, everyone who actively participates in the forum had at least one of their images set for inclusion in the banner.

6. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I am perfectly calm, friend, I can assure you. I actually hadn't even read you post when I typed up my reply to Dawn. :)

I simply didn't realize this banner contest had such strict limitations. I was asked to enter it by a friend, to fill up the contest some, and based my entry on HanSole29's post in communications. I didn't realize that when she said there was a list of nominated images that we could use, that list contained the only images allowed to use in the contest period. If I had known I would have oriented my banner more towards the selected images, rather than only pick a few. It is ironic though that the art forum of all boards here is the only one to ever limit a banner maker's artistic freedom in a contest -- not that I even remotely consider myself an 'artist'.

No harm done, I'll refrain from continueing work on my entry. I am certain one of the many talented artists here would have blown me out of the water soon enough any way. :)

7. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    The idea wasn't to limit what people can use, but instead to allow artists of all skill-levels the opportunity to have their images included in the banner. People who are new to drawing or are more into collage/etc. might not otherwise get that chance. At least, that was my interpretation.

I really like your banner, and I hope this doesn't discourage you from working on it.

8. Darth_Numanus

Feb 22, 2002
    I am perfectly calm, friend, I can assure you.

oh cool, i hate conflict!

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that's disappointing because I know you're a terrific banner artist, gabe. I do think the banner you made looks great and I'm sorry if it seemed like I came down on you at all. :)

I can see your point about how the guidelines seem limiting regarding what sources we'd like to see used. But I honestly don't think that was ever anyone's intent. Rather, I think we tried to use this as more of a community building exercise within our forum that could be inclusive of everyone here.

I think we just want a banner to reflect our mutual respect for all the art that gets shared in here. That's my take on it, anyway.

10. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    [image=http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2310/fanart8vl.jpg]

First draft, any and all opinions welcome. :)

11. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Very nice :) Both of you. Imus say that I'm like odj's a little better since there's a bit more variation in the artwork, and I like the colors better.

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I just want to jump in here and try to clarify some things if I can...

First of all, the idea of the nominated images is almost spot on to what Obi-Dawn has already been over. I feel that using the nominated images done soley by people in this forum gives the banner a more personal feel to it. It's kind of a preview of the actual work that is going on in here if not only a community building exercise.

However, I do see gabe's concerns with this particular method. At the time, I thought that nominating as many images as we did gave the artists the artistic freedom they needed, but now after seeing gabe's banner done soley from images other than those we nominated, I see that that is not the case. I do still wish to use the images we nominated to keep the banner personal, but at the same time I don't want to take anyone's artistic license away.

I would still like some of the nominated images to be used in the contest, but I'm considering not limiting it to them. Cause gabe, you're banner is awesome and I would hate to see you back out of the contest because of a rule like this.

And odj, excellent banner as well! I especially like the left side with Yoda popping out of the image and Obi-Wan fading into the landscapes of Tatooine. ;)

13. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Beautiful banner, ODJ. Very colourful! And I love what you did with the Yoda sculpture. The hanging sleeve is a perfect little curve for that area.

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    odj_310388,
    I see that after all my bitching you have put two of my pictures in the banner, while excluding work by FalconFan, wicktone and HanSolo29. If you were trying to make a point, point taken; please remove at least one of my pictures and replace it with someone else's.

Other than that, you were right about that Yoda sculpture in the corner, it does look good.

Edit: You did put one of wick's pictures in, I just wasn't familiar with it. [face_blush]

15. Darth_Numanus

Feb 22, 2002
    after seeing OJD's banner (which im loving by the way) ive decided to start again with mine!

the problem i had was that i got myself into such a wound up paranoid state that i ended up cramming waaay too much into it due to fear of being flammed by any artist who i leave out![face_worried]

(yes i know how silly that is, everyone here is lovely)

if i could get some constructive critisizm on this one it'd help me with the next one!

[image=http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2107/banner7sd.jpg]

-num

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Darth_Numanus,
    I think that looks great. I can't believe how many pictures you managed to put in the banner - I've had a go, and I've been struggling to get half that many in.

I think the thing I like best is the way you've included Kenu's Bananas pic, complete with word-balloon! I love that.

17. Darth_Numanus

Feb 22, 2002
    yeah im definately using the "b-a-n-a-n-a-s!" i love it!
    :p
    -num

18. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    I'm sorry if anyone is feeling limited when I ask to only use nominated images. It's just that this way, like wicktone said earlier, it prevent this from being a popularity contest, and it also gave everyone a say in what would be in the banner, even if they didn't make it. If someone just used pictures that they liked, other people might not like the selection of images as much.
    But like I said earlier, if you'd like, make space for one image that was not nominated to put in your banner submission.

odj_310388, Darth_Numanus - Great banners!

19. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    odj_310388,
    I see that after all my bitching you have put two of my pictures in the banner, while excluding work by FalconFan, wicktone and HanSolo29. If you were trying to make a point, point taken; please remove at least one of my pictures and replace it with someone else's.

I did? Hounestly, I wasnt looking at who's I was using, I was simply going with the flow of the banner and those two images fitted perfectly. If you want me to remove one of yours thats fine but I was only going with what I thought fitted the layout I was going for, heck theres 2 of wick's pieces in there but only because they fit with that part of the banner, and as I said, only the first draft. ;)

And odj, excellent banner as well! I especially like the left side with Yoda popping out of the image and Obi-Wan fading into the landscapes of Tatooine. ;)

Thanks, the Obi-Wan picture was realy great for use in the tatooine part of the banner. :D

Beautiful banner, ODJ. Very colourful! And I love what you did with the Yoda sculpture. The hanging sleeve is a perfect little curve for that area.

Thanks for the kind words wick.

after seeing OJD's banner (which im loving by the way) ive decided to start again with mine!

Ha ha great to see I inspired someone, your banner looks great although as you said it does look a bit cluttered now since you tried to include everyone. :p

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow! Great entries you guys! :)

odj, the banner looks fantastic. I really like the way you incorporated the Yoda sculpture into the corner. He fits perfectly right there and has great dimension. I also like how you used both traditional and digital pieces. wick's landscapes blend in really nicely too. Looks really good! :)

Darth_Numanus, your banner is wonderful too. I see that you really did incorporate a lot of images, but it doesn't look cluttered because I think you did a good job arranging them. I especially like the corner with the pencil sketch and then the framed Amidala painting. Very pretty.
    And I dig the way you placed the banana guy because it makes me chuckle when I see him there. Looks really nice! :)

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Darth_Numanus, I think your banner really looks great. Like you have said yourself, you did incorporate a lot of images in it and managed to pretty much include everyone but it doesn't look cluttered at all. Not by a long shot. Great job!

22. Darth_Numanus

Feb 22, 2002
    Obi-Dawn,HanSolo29 im realy glad that you like my banner.:) im chuffed. im gonna work on another (more simple) one anyway just to see if it works better and then i'll submit the one that feels most appropriate.

-num

23. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    [image=http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigs/sad/sorry.gif]

Well not everybody........

man why do they have to post the images in this format....kinds looks silly now...[face_laugh]

Good job on the banners folks...Hoefully it will be a rotating banner like the other forums and they can all be used.[:D]

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I'm sorry gatodama. :( I didn't even realize it and I didn't want to single anyone out. That's one reason why I say I don't want to limit the entire contest to the nominated images, but rather use the nominated images along with a little extra(like odj has done).

As for rotating banners, I personally don't like them but we'll see.

25. Darth_Numanus

Feb 22, 2002
    gatodama love im soo sorry! this is what i was getting really parraniod and scared about - hurting peoples feelings!

for the record i do like that picture of Chewie but i simply ran out of space. its only a draft tho. im working on another banner.

love
    -num

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.