main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Official Fan Art Challenge - Announcement 1/5

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I think in the future a mix of both the normal and the numbering would be good. Which is to say, some months do it the traditional way, some months do the numbering. That way both are more interesting and fresh.

Wow! The shading on that is really great. The robes especially pop out!

2. Ranil-Starwing

Ranil-Starwing Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2007
    Thank you! It's a photo of the piece, so the contrast isn't all that great, but I'm pleased with how it came out.

3. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    I think the numbering system makes it a better challenge for a broad category, so that you don't stay within your comfort zone of characters you like or know well.

4. FettFan79

FettFan79 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2005
    Nice Mace, Ranil! The robes look so real!

I agree with Gimer--the number system does take people out of their comfort zones to expand their talents. I probably wouldn't have drawn Aurra Sing if not for the challenge, even though I do like her character--just never though about drawing her out. The original way is fun as well--so I guess I do agree with Thrawn--kinda surprise us with what method will be used for that month's challenge.

5. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Mace looks a-mace-ing!

@};-

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Just to keep everyone in the loop, the new challenge is coming. We're just working out the final details. :)

7. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    Nice. [face_laugh] Hi-five for that one!

Cool--new challenge soon--yea!!

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The November challenge is now posted!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. :)

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    That was fun to do. I got Planet of the Apes and that got me into drawing this toon style Yoda having conquered the apes and rescuing the human.

Master of the apes I am

[image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/apes.jpg]

10. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    I hope it is fun to do.
    I had fun when we did parody posters like this.

11. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Great response so far, everyone! Let's keep it going! ;)

12. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    I picked: Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    Plot

Set in the fictional town of Santa Mira, California (actually shot in Sierra Madre), the plot centers on Dr. Miles Bennell (Kevin McCarthy), a local doctor, who finds a rash of patients accusing their loved ones of being impostors. Another patient is a former sweetheart of his; recent divorcee Becky Driscoll (Dana Wynter), who tells him that her cousin, Wilma, has this same strange fear about Uncle Ira.

Assured at first by the town psychiatrist Dr. Dan Kaufman (Larry Gates), that the cases are nothing but "epidemic mass hysteria", Bennell soon discovers, with the help of his friend Jack Belicec (King Donovan), that the townspeople are in fact being replaced by simulations grown from plantlike pods; perfect physical duplicates who kill and dispose of their human victims. The Pod People are indistinguishable from normal people, except for their utter lack of emotion. The pod people work together to secretly spread more pods ? which grew from "seeds drifting through space for years" ? in order to replace the entire human race.

The film climaxes with Bennell and Driscoll attempting to escape the pod people, intending to warn the rest of humanity. They hide; Driscoll falls asleep and is subverted. With the pod people close behind, a seemingly crazed Bennell runs onto the highway frantically screaming of the alien force which has overrun Santa Mira to the passing motorists and (in a moment that could almost be considered a breaking of the 4th wall) looks into the camera and yells, "They're here already! You're next!"

This time I chose to do a photoshop of an existing photo.
    I tried to match the lighting, angles and film grain to make it look realistic.
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/cvzdesign/freestyle/bodysnatchers.png]
    original

hope you enjoy.

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    LOL! That's great, GIMER!

And I love Jocasta Nu in the background. She definitely fits the description of that creepy old lady. ;)

14. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    Very interesting, Gimer! I think Obi-Wan looks the best in that scene ;)

15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely picture Gimer and scary with Nu in the background

16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    This is fun, Gimmer! Please come up with more in future!

17. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    Well I hope some more people picked a number and are working on their idea.
    Thanks all for the compliments as well.
    It looks like only 5 numbers have been chosen... get in on the fun people!

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    For those of you who missed the other thread, I plan to put the challenge on hiatus for the month of December and focus on a new activity to correspond with the holiday season. Please check out the Holiday Gift Exchange thread for more information and how to participate.

With that said, the voting page for the Fall challenges will be up shortly. :)

19. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    I'll check out the other thread. I apologize for my absence here, but I didn't have much time to work on my entry, though I still want to finish it.

20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    *is curious*

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey all,

I'm looking to get this restarted for the new year. Does anyone have any suggestions for a topic(s) for the month of January? I know there were some ideas being thrown around here earlier and I wanted everyone to have the opportunity to sound off.

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    something with snow

23. FettFan79

Nov 25, 2005
    Snow or winter scene sounds like a cool idea ;) Great opportunity for any Snowbunny Padme or Hoth fans lol

24. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    I also think a snow theme is a good idea

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I fourth that idea :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.