main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The Official Fan Art Challenge - May 2006

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Each month we will post up four topics on different themes that people can choose from. You can submit drawings, paintings, posters, collage, photo-manipulation... whatever you're inspired to do.

Here are the previous Fan Art Challenges:

April 2006
    March 2006
    February 2006
    January 2006
    December 2005
    November 2005
    October 2005
    July 2005
    June 2005
    April 2005

This is not a contest, and everyone is welcome to post responses to this thread, regardless of whether you've ever posted anything in this forum. Please don't be nervous or discouraged, because all of us would love to see your fanart!

Here are the topics for May:

MAY FAN ART CHALLENGE:
    (Special thanks go out AG88 and FalconFan for suggesting this month's topics!)

Characters:Lando Calrissian or Jacen Solo
    Scene:Luke and Mara's First Kiss (EU) or Yoda's Duel with Palpatine (ROTS)
    Thing: Draw a canon droid seen anywhere in the Saga or in the EU
    Fun:This month marks Mother's Day, so depict a SW mother(films or EU) doing something with their children.

[b][color=midnightblue]The Usual Few Notes:[/color][/b]

-Please post your images in this thread so we can have them all collected in one area, but of course you're also allowed to post them in your own artwork threads.

-You can submit fanart for one topic, or do all of them. It is up to you.

-Comments for everyone's artwork should also be posted in this thread. Even if you're not participating yourself, your comments are more than welcome.

-If you have suggestions for future topics, please PM them to me or post them in the Artist's Lounge Social Thread.

[hr]

That's it. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of great artwork and hopefully we'll see some amazing pieces. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post 'em here.

The deadline for this challenge is [b]May 31st[/b].

2. Ice_Ghost11

Ice_Ghost11 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    Whoo! Lando! Kandosii! :D

I'll definately be taking up that challenge. Nice selections you guys. :D

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooo....I may have to combine a few of these into one...

[face_mischief][face_thinking] :D **digs out scratch pad and begins to scribble madly**

FF

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea, I think I'm gonna have to participate in this one too. I finally got some free time on my hands! :D

5. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Just a quick sketch, for the Mothers' Day theme... (sad, I know... what can I say, SW doesn't have a whole lot of happy mother/child moments :p)

circa-ANH Leia, viewing a holocube of a pregnant Padmé in the senate. A bit AU, perhaps? I have a caption for it: "Would you be proud, Mother?"

[image=http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/3926/leia0wf.th.jpg]

Full Size

6. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    C3PO aboard Tantive IV.
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a86/SkyWookiee/C3PO.jpg]

7. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    Oooo! Nice stuff. I like the one with Leia, she looks so distraught. And of course Threepio. Gotta lov ehim. Good work everyone. :D

Lando Calrissian
    [image=http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5493/landocalrissianmayac1in.jpg]

I worked on it for a while, but couldn't seem to get a good feel. That and finding GOOD pictures of Lando was really hard. So I ended up only using one picture. And it was a bit awkward.

Not my best work, but Lando as the subject makes it all right. ;)

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Awesome work so far, everyone!

Shrunken_Jedi, that's a lovely portrait of a soulful Leia, staring at a holo of her mother! It really gave me a "heart-tug!"

And WOW SkyWookiee!! I have that picture of C3PO aboard the Tantive IV, and have struggled with whether or not to try to draw him--you've beat me to it, and with a superb rendering! This looks just great: fantastic details and shading (and in such a lovely, loose style, too!)!

Ice_Chost11, that's a fabulous pic of Lando (and it actually "feels" pretty good to me): the soft blue behind him reminds me of crinkled silk, which is so appropriate for our comfort-loving Lando--and the quote is great! I think, though, that the line is "Cardplayer, gambler, scoundrel--you'd like him!" Although "scum" fits him just as well! lol!

I've "combined" a couple categories for mine--and if you haven't read the Dark Nest trilogy of novels (and plan to) this is a major spoiler for them, so you may want to skip viewing it. I put together Mother's Day with character Jacen Solo...if you've read the novels, you'll know what it's about! ;)

"Introductions"

FF

9. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Thanks, guys!

FF, that's a lovely one of Jacen, Tenel Ka and their daughter (Can't remember the name....) No, I actually don't read the books, but I hang out enough with people who do :p Really, even with quick and simple stuff, you do great art :D

10. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    For all the years I've been a Star Wars fan I could have swore Han Solo said 'Scum'. But, I looked it up in Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays and you are 100% correct, FF. :eek:

And your drawing is absolutely amazing. You are very talented, though, I have to say I always kind of suspected that, what with previous books and all. ;) Nicely chosen and wonderfully rendered! :D

11. Todan

Todan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2006
    Hay Guys can i just put the pics i do on my web site for this am thinking about doing a yoda pic?

Todan[face_tired] [face_hypnotized] :oops: :confused: [face_thinking]

12. Ice_Ghost11

Mar 24, 2005
    You need to follow the Guidelines listed in the first post. Each month we get new subjects that we have to do Art about. If you read the first post you'll understand better what I'm trying to say. :)

Hope that helped. :D

13. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Great stuff, everyone! Hopefully I will have some time this weekend to finish mine up. It's pencilled right now, but I'd rather have a completely finished product to show (as my pencils can sometimes be really rough!)

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, all you guys continue to blow me away! These are all great so far, everyone! Keep up the great work and remember, there's still plenty of time to get your entry in for this month!

Oh, and if you all like, please don't hesitate to tackle another topic if another takes your interest. Remember, you can always do as many as you like. ;)

Todan,

I believe Ice_Ghost summed up the procedures for the monthly challenges, but in case you're still stumped, here are this month's topics again to get you started: :)

Characters:Lando Calrissian or Jacen Solo
    Scene:Luke and Mara's First Kiss (EU) or Yoda's Duel with Palpatine (ROTS)
    Thing: Draw a canon droid seen anywhere in the Saga or in the EU
    Fun:This month marks Mother's Day, so depict a SW mother(films or EU) doing something with their children.

15. Todan

Todan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2006
    [image=http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4021/ccpsdbmp8nu.jpg]

Hay guys hope this is ok

this pic is yoda vs Palpatine hope you like it?

Todan [face_monkey] :D [face_peace]

16. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Here's my Saga droid submission, the Buzz Droid! I love these little guys!

[image=http://www.basement24.com/galleries/starwars/2006/buzz-droid.jpg]

17. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Thank you!

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Todan: Glad you decided to try it out! Very nice montage depicting the crucial duel between Yoda and Palps. The "box" look reminds me of pop art and I think it works. Perhaps fooling with the brightness/contrast and sharpening of the images to bring them out a bit more next time would help it along. But other than that, very nice submission. ;)

Basement: Wow! Very nice work indeed! Your work is always very detailed and well handled in terms of craftsmanship. This droid is really something to be proud of. :D

19. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    [image=http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/23/lando8te.jpg]

Still trying to get the hang of my graphics tablet. :p

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Very nice collage piece, Todan! Some of the best pics of that duel, I think!

And I've already gushed about the "Buzz Droid" Basement24--that picture rocks!

And just a great big WOW!! odj for that wonderful painting of Lando!! I can almost hear his big whoop of triumph! You're just "getting the hang" of your tablet? I'd say you've got it pretty well figured out, my friend! Excellent!

FF

21. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    It was getting late in the month, so today I worked on a picture for the challenge. Luke and Mara's first kiss. Okay, this isn't really a pic of them kissing, but right before the first kiss. And I decided on doing the kiss that Luke stole while Mara was in a healing trance, not their first shared kiss after they blew up the reactor.

[image=http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/4740/nirauankiss16sf.jpg]

The figures I made with poser 6, but I rendered them in the nude and reluctantly painted on their clothes using Corel Painter IX. :p

AG88

22. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Heh I think I still have a pretty long way to go on figuring stuff out with it but thanks. :)

23. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I had this finished a week ago but didn't remember the theme for this month until last night.

Mama Jaina:

[image=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b157/sea102883/Art/MamaJaina2.jpg]

24. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Nice drawing, BigFatty. So who is the father of this little baby? Let me see, the baby has dark hair and there seems to be a bit of green in the baby's eyes. Okay, that doesn't narrow it down. Hasn't every guy she is linked with have dark hair and green eyes?

Okay, I give up, is the father Jag or Kyp?

AG88

25. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Thanks for the compliemnts AG88. And the baby's father is Jag. The artwork is for my story "The Family Album" (there's a link in my profile if you're interested in reading it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.