main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~The Official FanFiction and Writer's Resource Handbook and FAQ version 2.5~~ (READ THIS)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    *See next post*

2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    MODIFIED 12/14/2002 by JediGaladriel, following discussion of forum standards. Modified text appears in red. TSL's original post follows, and still contains valid information.

Board wide standards

Language & Profanity: The Jedi Council forums aren't a free-for-all on language, including things that fictional characters say to one another. The general rule of thumb is that curses used in the Star Wars movies ("hell" and "damn") are allowed, as well as curses from the books. This subject comes up periodically from other parts of the boards, and certain words may be debated again in the future. Because there may be different standards elsewhere, this will usually meet either with a request to edit or simply an involuntary edit with a PM explaining the action. If it becomes a repeat, pattern behavior, then disciplinary actions may be called for.

The following have been agreed to on a board-wide basis:

Allowable:
    • hell

• damn

• crap

• ass/arse and derivatives (when not being used as an insult at a person)

• bitch (true dictionary definition and verb useage)

• bastard (dictionary definition and some verb useage)

• penis/vagina/any proper term for genetalia (only in a sheer biological sense and discussion)

• bloody

• sod

• bugger

These words won't be edited (if used as indicated). It should be noted that as far as language goes, characters are people, too.

Not Allowed:
    • **** (and any term/anacronym that implies it)

• c*nt

• n*gger/ch*nk/g**k/any racial slur
      gay/gh*y/h*mo/d*ke (used in derogitory fashion)

• c*ck

• p*ssy (when referring to anything other than in the feline sense)

• bitch (referencing a person)

• bastard (when used as an insult to any person)

• slut/whore/ho

• a**hole/ar**hole

• God damn

• Jesus Christ (when not referring to Jesus himself)

These words have been "starred out" in the list, but are still recognizable as a reference point. Starring them out in practice in stories will be treated the same as using them without covering them up. Note that some questionable words may not yet have been questioned, and this list is subject to change.
    --Added March 9, 2003

Sex and violence: The Jedi Council forums are rated PG, by the standard of American movies, and fanfic writers, like other board members, agree to uphold the site's Family-Friendly rating upon registration. The line can be fuzzy and hard to define, but there is a point at which it is passed, and in fanfic it can be particularly difficult. The following two excerpts, donated graciously by their authors, have been chosen as the "high water" marks for violence and sex respectively. Anything that goes beyond these in explicitness of description will result in a request to edit.

Violence
    "[That may be so, but you have been gone for hours. And that is still an offense.]" Slightly calmer, the small floating man pulled a strip of flexi-steel ribbing from a shelf behind him. His hand moved down to the controller, once again activating the impulse. Obi-Wan was rendered immobile as waves of torment crashed through him. A new agony ignited as the strip landed across his shoulders. Quickly and efficiently, Watto flogged the boy. Fifteen lashes in total were dealt but they were enough to make the suffering child cry out in protest. After the last stroke fell, Watto spat down at the imp, ?[You?re lucky you?re getting off light. Now close up.]? The Toydarian flew away without another thought. Curled in on himself, Obi-Wan wallowed in his wretchedness. Hugging himself to fend off the anguished remonstration of his body. Tears streaked his dusty cheeks, leaving distinguishable trails. He remained on the floor waiting for the distress to abate enough to allow movement.[/

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Bravo Kit!

[face_love]

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Thank you, Kit!

5. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Very nice, Kit'. I'm not usually a fan of sticky threads, but this is a good place for a thread like this.

6. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I found this to be very informative. Thanks for taking the time to set down the ground rules for the fanfiction forum. It will prove useful for any fanfiction that I may post later on in time.

7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Why is this not a sticky?

8. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    This isn't even the current version of the FAQ.

I was mildly surprised to log in and see the stickies were gone.

9. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Yeah, that happened last night: I looked around and couldn't find them, either... did something go horribly awry last night?

*Derisa*

10. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I will see if I can find my copy of the one that went missing.

Kithera

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.