main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Harry Potter Thread (For Movie News) New Trailer

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Nov 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah they really botched the Yule Ball as compared to the books, though I admit it was funny seeing Flitwick going crowd surfing. But seriously I hope the list gets better as it goes on.

As a random aside, I remember an acquaintance of mine being very shocked that Parvati and Padma Patil were Indian and complained the director was trying to be "multi-cultural" by switching their races, at least until I informed her that Parvati was a Hindu goddess and that Patil has always been an Indian name :rolleyes:

2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    The Yule Ball is... very embarrassing.

I still like Goblet of Fire. But that part is indefensible.

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    12. The Hippogriff

As seen in Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

"Surely one of Harry?s best ever lessons. Hagrid introduces the boy wiz to a Hippogriff (part eagle, part lion, part mare according to our book of beasts). The freaky creature ends up giving Potter a joyous tour of Hogwarts by air. Luckily the school has a lax health and safety policy."

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Probably the best "John Williams moment" of the last 10 years. One of them, anyway.

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    People said the same thing about Lee Jordan after TPS came out, until Rowling explained that she had told Chris Columbus during casting that Lee Jordan was SUPPOSED to be Black.

6. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
  7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Apparently Julie Walters does indeed get to deliver that line, which will be worth the price of admission alone.

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    A typical Potter trailer, way too long, gives away too much, and to compound it, they will issue 5 more, so that you can basically compile the film from them.

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Glad I'm not the only person who doesn't like the trailer. Phenomenally over the top, and I barely paid attention through much of it because there was too much going on.

10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Looks amazing, as expected! Lots of non-book events appear to be happening, such as Harry and Voldie's spill off the tower. [face_hypnotized]

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I would guess that's a dream sequence; and what's the point, unless the horcruxes are destroyed?

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I wondered what that was supposed to be. Maybe Harry tries to kill Voldemort, but Voldemort turns into giant bat or something?

13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    It isn't.

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Well, then, what earthly sense does it make? You can't kill Voldemort sans destroying the horcruxes.

15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    (then this would probably take place after all of his horcruxes are destroyed)

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    So, logically, that scene will be their final confrontation.

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Wow, apparently you two have not read the books! --Otherwise you would not be offering such facile (and dead wrong!) explanations for this movie-only scene.

One four-word sentence, extremely SPOILER-y, beginning with the word Harry and ending with the word horcrux, would explain all to you and elucidate the dumbness of your pronouncements. ;) But I'm just not gonna be that guy. [face_not_talking]

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Wow, that trailer is over the top! As I haven't read beyond the first half of Philosopher's Stone and a few wiki articles, it's informative. Though too overly dramatic for 2 mins of footage to be credible. I though DH I was incredibly dull. Despite knowing what will happen in the end, at least Part 2 looks interesting.

I'll likely even feel bad for both Tom and Severus. Not to mention Remus. I'll be impressed if any of the Golden Trio even make an impact. Never liked the kids. :rolleyes:

19. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYt1qirBWg
    New trailer. While for me Harry Potter and my childhood won?t end when the last movie arrives, for others they will at least go with a big bang.

Some thoughts:
    -Strong beginning, I like these mashups. Aaand another iconic building down, and this time it?s the Quiddich Field. So there?ll be action there as well. I had this visual of bludgers hitting Death Eaters? smoke thingys.
    -Do I sense a little distraction with having Snape?s ?We have kept him alive so he can die at the proper moment? scene like he?s talking to Voldemort?
    -Hopefully Minerva is as awesome in the movie as she is in the book. I want to see the desks scene.
    -Looks like we?ll finally have a movie with also side characters doing things. If in twenty years or so someone wants to make a new adaptation of the books (how many fans will grow up to be in movie industry?), I hope it?ll be a television series, just so they can show depth of the magical world and side characters
    -SNAPE! There will be crying.
    -According to my theory, the resurrection stone only shows dead people?s images, or memories that ?stick with us?. Movie seems like it goes with that, but hopefully they leave it as ambiguous as it was in the book.
    -Fiendfire looks like I imagined
    -I still like that they had Harry call Voldemort ?Tom?. I?m not sure how the ending confrontation will go (looks like it?s been extended very much), but as long as it keeps the spirit of the scene (Harry tells Voldemort his mistakes, gives him one last chance, and Voldemort doesn?t understand these things) I?ll be seriously happy. Unless I cry through the entire movie.
    -Lots of scenes I don?t have any idea where they?re from. Which is good, because we?re speaking about a movie. In a book, the greatest moments of the battle was when every character did something awesome and there were things from the entire series. But since they cut so much from the movies, they can just as well go all visual. The places are all familiar, and seeing them blow up is not going to be nice.

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm guessing that he's talking to Dumbledore there.

Trailer itself isn't great, but I like what I'm seeing. If you're finishing a 6, 7 film series, bombast and hugeness is the only way to go, something that eclipses everything seen in the previous films. Looks like they're doing that.

21. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm almost ashamed to say that I enjoyed the trailer, because it's almost purely fluff, completely over the top.

22. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    Not really related to the films, but since this is the most current active Potter thread I thought it was appropriate:

JK Rowling Announces 'Pottermore'

Sounds interesting. A type of virtual/online encyclopaedia perhaps?

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Interesting. It sounds like an interactive, digital book. Whatever it is, knowing JK Rowling, I bet it will be really creative.

24. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
  25. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    I'll be seeing the film tomorrow. Looking forward to it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.