main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official HoloNetNews Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Maybe she's Shira Brie?

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    According to the Heir sourcebook, Mara is the same age as Luke. I believe that yet another source places her two years younger.

I don't think it's Mara. But yes, it would be cool if it were.

3. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    i dont think it would be cool if it were. why are people always so ready to have everything interconnected and associated with something else. why cant we just have a baby taken into the Jedi order whose mother wants her back and she has nothing to do with any OT characters, PT characters, or EU characters. every other being in the galaxy cant be some relative of some main character

4. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Family is a theme of the Star Wars Saga. It's in the movies and is reflected in the EU. And we have plenty of characters with no generational ties.

But Mara is interesting because we have no idea who her parents are. And I was just thinking about that subject last night, wondering why there's been no answer...not even hints. Zahn must have some idea of it, if no concrete plans.

5. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Sturm- Zahn only hinted at Mara's age in HttE. It seems as if he deliberately left it open. When Kathy Tyers was writing BP, she mentioned that the notes given to her by Del Rey said that Mara was three years older than Luke.

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Best update yet! Zorba, Blob races. Tons of WEG stuff. Not to mention more AotC stuff. Fun.

7. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    A mention of the stone mites as well. I guess they weren't developed during the Clone Wars? Or were they refined during the Clone Wars?

8. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Sturm- Zahn only hinted at Mara's age in HttE. It seems as if he deliberately left it open. When Kathy Tyers was writing BP, she mentioned that the notes given to her by Del Rey said that Mara was three years older than Luke.

Well, Bill Slaviscek didn't leave it open.

Luke's and Mara's age in HTTE sourcebook : 28.

Oddly, they're using the "born 20 years before ANH" timeline, yet in various bios throughout the book, it erroneously says there's 3 years between ANH and ROTJ. Luke and Mara should really be 29 as of HTTE, if it's 5 years later.

The events in the novel must've taken place before their birthdays.

And as I've oft-mentioned before, alternate timekeeping is the explanation for Mara, Luke and Leia's different ages.

In Galactic Standard time they should be the same. By Luke using Tatooine time in most cases, she would be older than him.

A mention of the stone mites as well. I guess they weren't developed during the Clone Wars? Or were they refined during the Clone Wars?

Maybe developed during earlier Clone Wars. [face_mischief]

9. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Well, based on references made in the YJK books and Rebel Dawn, I've figured out that Leia's birthmonth (or at least her Alderaanian one) was in the 9th month of the 10 month year (15:9:?). You can figure some of that age stuff with that, perhaps.

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "A mention of the stone mites as well. I guess they weren't developed during the Clone Wars? Or were they refined during the Clone Wars?"

Perhaps there are naturaly occuring wild stone mites, that were later genetically altered into weapons during the clone wars. Notice how in HNN they were more worried about them carrying disease rather than any fear of destructive nature that the stone mites might incur. Perhaps before the clone wars stone mites were naturally evolved vermin and disease carriers. During the clone wars through genetic manipulation they were made into a destructive force that fed on metal and stone and whatever, produced and used as weapons during the war.

Think of anthrax(there are many naturally occuring strains, and there is the genetically altered weapon strains as well.)

11. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    That seems likely, Val. I'm thinking you're probably right on that.

12. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yeah, it's probably Mara. Cool !

Lot of clues that tend to make us think this way.

Ludi is a baby, I doubt people'd make the link between a baby and a full grown woman...

And Palpy just altered the records... Plus she's supposed to be hidden, as Emperor's Hand.

And remember, red haired force-sensitive girls are a common sight out there... :p

13. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
  14. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Bringing it up because the next issue should come today

15. ImperialFC

ImperialFC Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    In the newest issue the mention of the Sepan Civil War between the Dimok and the Ripoblus is a very cool reference to the TIE Fighter game (I wonder if Steele has been born yet).

16. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    New issue is up. Once again, tons of EU references and foreshadowing.

"I will not go down in history as the last Chancellor of the Republic," said a determined Palpatine.

17. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Regarding the "Most Popular Names" list...

Where's Mace? :)

There's two Mace Windu's ( the Jedi Master and Squib ), and Mace Towani.

As for the Sepan Civil War, it was also great to finally see material from TIE Fighter make it's way into the rest of the EU, as it is a rare occurance.

And the stuff from Battle for Endor! LOL! I was wondering why more info on Salek wasn't in the Moddell Sector article in Gamer 9...guess they wanted to save it for HoloNet News. [face_laugh]

18. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    And that poor boy addicted to death sticks...just tragic. ;)

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    And the Iska-whatsit raiders from the CSW comics! And there's a Jedi training conclave on Bpfassh, (obviously the site of the Dark Jedi Uprising six years before.) And Ikrit in the BiscutBaron happy meals! I live for Thursdays now. :p

TC

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I just realized something interesting. The site will be having an update the very day AotC opens...on a Thursday.

21. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    It's possible that "unfortunate slicer attacks" might take it offline on that date.

22. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    In this latest update they reference Noa Briqualon - from the Exok Movies. That's right, Wilford Brimley! :D

23. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Notice that Empatajoyos Brand was fighting in the Sepan war...

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Spiritualist Ch'been has been meditating on the subject of Baby Ludi for weeks, using his so-called "timestream" reading ability to predict the future of the infant's tale.
    <<

Could this be a River of Chaos reference?

25. Dev Sibwarra

Jun 4, 1999
    I hope we find out what these predictions are. Could help us find out if the baby is Mara or not.

Do the ads in Aurabesh on the left actually say anything? My attempts to translate them have all resulted in gibberish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.