main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Hi everyone!

It's been a while--traveled to Chicago Con--had a great time! Chi is always fun!!! Then took a few more days to head through Ohio and down to West Virginia and Virginia to see some caves and other sights. Then headed back north to Gettysburg through one of the most incredible lightning storms I've ever seen! The caves were amazing--visited Seneca Caverns in W.Va and Luray Caverns in Virginia. Climbed around at Nelsons Ledges in Ohio too.

Started to work on JEDI Dooku now. About 10 pages into it. This one is going to be major! Dan Parsons and I are trying out some new pencil and ink combos for this one--pencil, ink, washes, etc. I don't know quite how to describe it except to say that it is moody and dark--kind of a combo of 54 and 49.

Saw some of the color pages from Republic 59. Wow! Brad has outdone himself on this one! (Dan and I like to think we helped some though... ;) )

Gorkos--
    There should be some stories coming up about the types of characters you're talking about--at least they should be woven throughout the books. The way I figure it--the Jedi are a finite commodity. Regular folks will be around in the SW universe forever. And there is really so little time until Ep III!!

clonewarseu--
    Patience on the Obi and Bail storyline :) we'll get there!!!

Got to go over and read the piece on TCWUS about the Yoda comic! So much catching up to do!!!

2nd Quest--
    Tholme at Geonosis--that's still up for debate. We still haven't told how he got all racked up--except that he may be the SW universe's more accident prone Jedi.

Excellence--
    It's interesting what a difference computer color can make, isn't it. I think the older comcs you mentioned were done at a time when this option was either in it's beginning phases or not an option at all. having had many of my comics colored the 'old' way, I can say that the computer colors is what I always 'saw' when I was creating my art.

I'll catch up more tomorrow night!

kampilan--
    I can see where you might read the burst behind A'Sharad and Anakin as suns. They are on a desert world--not Tatooine though.

O B Gates--
    Killing off Jedi? Us? Could be... Certainly if they aren't in the film they could possibly be up for making the final jump in the comics or novels. Not really sure if they will be killed though. Got to be some Jedi around for Vader to 'hunt down' after III shouldn't there?

Apophis--
    Yes--Dooku marks the end of JEDI--for NOW--you never know what the future will bring!

kampilan--
    Wow! Dennis Budd is great!!! Nice battle scene! Amazing! Hope he goes professional--if he already isn't!

2. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Jan, great to hear that you had some well-deserved time off to enjoy the outdoors and "re-charge them batteries".

The new pen-ink-wash technique sounds great. I just read in John's thread that its really something. I'm sure you'll capture the mood of Jedi:Dooku and it'll be a great book. Its got Quin!

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Jan-- Great to hear from you. Just a quick question- why is there going to be only four Jedi one-shots?

4. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Jan,

Can't wait to read JEDI Dooku[/i]!!! :)

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
  6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm sure you'll capture the mood of Jedi:Dooku and it'll be a great book. Its got Quin!

It occurs to me that Quin is in EVERY Jedi book. In Mace he and Mace spar. In Shaak he helps Shaak infiltrate the base, In Aayla he is a hologram but still there and a flash back.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    In a way, it's almost a shame #54 wasn't somehow part of the Jedi series- because then the Jedi series would have told something of a complete story arc across the 4 stand alone issues.

At least it gets packaged in with half the Jedi series for CW: Volume 4, so I guess, in a way, that has already sorta happened...er...will happen [face_batting]

8. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Jan, about Republic 59.

Allow me to make a few educated guesses. ;)

We know Anakin and A'Sharad are defending a planet together.
    There is friction between the two because of the death of Anakin's mother, his hatred of Tuskens, and their difference in rank.
    The world they're defending makes the Jutland wastes seem tame.
    A'Sharad DOES find out about Anakin's descent into the darkside, (how much is unknown)
    The two come to blows.
    We'll see A'Sharad unmasked.
    Anakin is still, "Trying to do good but tainted by the darkside and scarred by war".

Here's my take.

Anakin and A'Sharad are fighting together against the Seperatists. From the start they don't get along for the reasons above. However, they get cut off and have to survive in the desert by themselves. This is the "Defiant Ones" part of the story. They work together to survive reluctantly. A'Sharad finds out something about Anakin's role in the Tusken slaughter and the two fight. Before the fight can end though, they're attacked by the main Seperatist attack thrust. Both abandon their fight and work together again. The Republic army shows up and saves the day, but not before A'Sharad is mortally wounded saving Anakin's life. Anakin removes A'Sharad's mask and really "sees" him for the first time. A'Sharad dies, taking Anakin's secret with him. Anakin is left with the lesson that things aren't always what they seem, and he now has to carry the additional guilt and shame of A'Sharad's death with him (we know Anakin also feels crushing guilt over his failure with the Tuskens). Anakin leaves...

9. O-B-GATES

O-B-GATES Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    masterskywalker,

That's a really good theory. I'm looking forward to what the real deal is.

10. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, masterskywalker, that was exactly one of the realistic scenarios I had in mind...if Hett were to actually die in the story.

Quin on the Jedi books: of course, why not include him if he fits into the story somewhere, somehow! Being in all 4 issues, what better way than that? :)

11. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Jan,

I finally got ahold of "SW Jedi: Aayla Secura" (it's nice to finally be in a big city where comics can be found easily - too bad I'm now a poor starving college student that can't afford comics...). I'll be honest and tell you that I haven't been too impressed with any of the Prequel era comics. I've enjoyed the art...but that's about it.

This comic totally redeemed everything. The story was great - I loved how so many of the previous comics were tied in. The flashbacks were a VERY nice touch - I finally really felt tuned in to the character's characters. Young Aayla was adorable - and prissy Tuulaa Doneeta was awesome. I enjoyed the tensions regarding attachment , and the Dark Woman's...guilt regarding Aurra. And Aayla vs. Aurra? KICK @SS!

My favorite illustrations are young Aayla's "headshot" on page 1, when Aurra is holding her knife-knuckles to Senator Sai'malloc's throat (page 13?), the close up of Aurra holding Master Tholme's saber, Aayla being hit by the blast of water with Aurra diving out of the way. Seeing Xiaan again was a nice touch - they grow up so fast! And I loved the panel where Aurra is realizing she does have a connection with Aayla, even if she doesn't want to admit it.

Great work, Jan, and the whole creative crew! This was the most enjoyable SW comic I've read in years (literally). The art was more than superb, the coloring supreme, and the story ingaging. I'm still waiting for the other SW comics to do that...

-Mazz

12. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Jan, do you ever talk to Barbara Kessel anymore?

13. KYP_DURRON85

KYP_DURRON85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2003
    She has really captured the essence of PT for me. She's numbre uno of the artist whos work I'v seen on my list.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a 5 page preview of the inked pencils for Republic #59 up on DH's website (http://www.darkhorse.com/news/previews/pg_prview/sku_12205/p_0/index.html)

Great looking stuff ::)

Though I'm curious about one detail, Jan- Hett is shown with a braid; is this a padawan braid (thus he is still a padawan now 10 years later) or just something he's let develop from that padawan braid?

Or was it there before he started his Jedi training and I'm just not remembering that detail from Outlander? [face_batting]

15. GodofDeath

GodofDeath Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    The2ndQuest, it actually looks like it's a Jedi's traditional long hair tied in a braid and not a Padawan braid (which is to the side and much smaller I think).

16. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    There was some debate about A'Sharad's braid. Was it a padawan braid or not? Would Sharad Hett who defied or even broken many of the conventional Jedi ways have kept this tradition for his son--or was this just A'Sharad's 'look'?

In the end we decided to keep the braid. Couple of reasons. Visually it set A'Sharad apart from other Tuskens and made him unique--also he just didn't look like A'Sharad without it! It is reasonable that even if the braid had represented his apprenticeship--enough time had passed to allow his hair grow long again.

Glad you all liked the preview of pages. That's just the warmup--from there the story just starts kicking and doesn't stop.

A'Sharad is one of the most interesting and , I think , compelling characters I've ever had the pleasure to draw! John wrote a good one here!

In answer to Darth Ludicrous--sure I talk to Barbara--she's a good friend. Why do you ask?

Still working along on Dooku. Talk about intense... I hope they put a preview of that up soon...

17. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    I was at the DH website Sunday and came across the surprise "Behind Enemy Lines" preview by "gates" who provided the first post about it.

I had always assumed A'Sharad's braids were padawan braids as well but also wondered why they were a bit too lenghty for traditional padawan braids? I am really glad you went for the decision to keep it, even though he is a full-fledged Knight already, and that DH agreed. It truly is the only distinction that would set him apart from other Tuskens. Especially if he is going back to his regular Tusken mask and headdress. And with going with the tradtional headdress, it really makes the story much more powerful. But, yeah, the braids were always a great visual and when I saw the incredible cover I was relieved it was still there even though John had remarked that he is a now Jedi Knight.

I agree, you have really captured Anakin's persona in the scenes. The young Nikto padawan dying in his arms , seeing A'Sharad I assume would be saying something compassionate about Nikto's passing, and then make a cold remark about death or something that seems to anger Anakin. When Anakin seems to grab A'Sharad's left arm I thought maybe he was tending to a wound but now it seems more like Hett not liking being touched and saying "touch me again padawan and you will wish you had not." Then the Dark Side anger building up in Anakin as he thinks only of his mother and doesn't even care if this Tusken in front of him is a General/Knight/Officer in Charge. And with no witnesses around, "why not take General Hett down now"?

General A'Sharad Hett...me likes the sound of that just as much as General Aayla Secura :D

I think it is the first time DH has allowed such previews? Other comic companies have been doing it online for fans so its about time DH did too! :)

>>>A'Sharad is one of the most interesting and , I think , compelling characters I've ever had the pleasure to draw! John wrote a good one here!<<<

;)

18. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    still haven't seen you do any fill in issues for CrossGen.
    I'd love to see you on Sojourn or Negation and would even buy a comic I didn't read if I had to.

19. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Mazzic-- Thanks for all the fine compliments on JEDI--Aayla Secura! As John and I were initially talking over the issue--we realized that so many elements tied in--the similar experiences of Aurra and Aayla and the rest. I think those elements give the story depth and bring Aayla forth with clarity as a character--and her own kind of Jedi--one who values the people around her and cares for them.

What do you all think--will she go after Quin someday and try to bring him back?

20. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    I would like to hope that Aayla does go after Quin. He helped her out of dark times, it would be fitting for her to do the same.

I've read over "Jedi: Aayla Secura" nearly 10 times now. She has really developed into a dynamic character from her first appearance years back. She is such a cool, caring young Jedi. I'd love to see what happens between her and Kit Fisto.

And as horrible as it sounds, I can't wait to see Aayla's last stand during the Jedi Purge. Jan, I hope you get to tell that tale. I have no doubt that when Aayla goes out, she'll go out in the blaze of glory.

I wonder who will be the one to fell her. Comments?

-Mazz

21. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    masterskywalker--interesting educated guesses--how do you feel about them now that you've (possibly) seen the preview?

JediTrilobite--Why are there only 4 issues of JEDI? The series was only planned to be 4 issues originally. At one point we talked about a fifth issue, but then along came Countdown and the rest. Things need to be set in place before Ep III. It doens't mean there won't ever be any more issues of JEDI--just no more for now.

2nd Quest--true--54 will be bound with Aayla and Dooku. So in the end it really seems like part of JEDI. Interesting too because the stories are all linked through Quin.

kamplian--pretty accurate guesses from the first couple pages. Do you want to tell John O that we don't need words or do you want me to break the news?? [face_devil]

I think it's really cool that DH put the preview up on their site! Hope it gets folks interested in the books!

Darth Ludicrous--Right now my dance card is full with Star Wars art! There's not a spare moment for anything else. :D

Mazzic--I think I must have read Aayla at least as many times...First day I got it I didn't get much else done workwise--kept going back and looking over sections and then reread it again and again...

Don't know who will be the one to kill Aayla--I try to concentrate on giving the Jedi life--worry about death later. Hope she goes down fighting when it happens though.

Whitey--Yes! The two Jedi on page one of Aayla standing just behind Quin and Aayla are Adi and Siri! Good eyes!

And Oovo IV was from the Podracer game. The prison there is a fun level to race! Always wanted to put it into a comic!

Excellence--Not sure about those starfighters--The only ref I was given was for the Starfighters like Obi Wan pilots in EPII. I'd be curious to know what the others are too.

22. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    A couple more things!!!

>>Is it really true we get to see how A'Sharad looks like in "Behind Enemy Lines"?<<

Yes.

Mr44-- Great to talk to you at Wizard World too! It was a fun con all the way--just not enough time--it seemed to go by faster than usual! You had a question--

>>As an artist, how much individualization are you able to put into an established story line like the Clone Wars? For example, you were a co-plotter with Fleisher on the early D&D comics, so I would assume it would be more open for you.. Which situation is more challanging? >>

The Star Wars stuff is definitely more challenging--but so much fun it hardly seems like work (though there is always that one panel in every story that gives fits...) The fun thing about the Clone Wars is that though much of it is established there is plenty of room to expand on what is there--characters, battles, events. It's a HUGE galaxy! So I guess the answer is that I get lots of input into these stories. That's half the fun! Sometimes I find myself wishing there was more time between Ep II and III. There are so many stories to tell.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>will (Aayla) go after Quin someday and try to bring him back?<<

Well, of course...someone has to claim his corpse, right? ;)

24. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    >>>pretty accurate guesses from the first couple pages. Do you want to tell John O that we don't need words or do you want me to break the news??<<<

Sure, it'll be like GI Joe Vol.1 #21 "Silent Interlude"! ;)
    [image=http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/35567357110.8.gif]

Nah, I need to hear A'Sharad speak his mind. What is it that makes him the most compelling character you've done so far and all...
    This page right here, A'Sharad looks incredible!
    [image=http://209.95.35.130/images/prev/swrep59/swrep59p2.jpg]

I am all for a story of Aayla attempting to rescue Quin. Not neccesarily succeeding to do so but yeah, it'll be a good story to tell.

imho, A'Sharad is Star Wars' answer to Snake Eyes.
    [image=http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/35584740016.1.gif]

25. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    2nd Quest-->>will (Aayla) go after Quin someday and try to bring him back?<<

>>Well, of course...someone has to claim his corpse, right?<<

Ah! You don't hold out much hope for the poor Kiffar Jedi do you? Any particular reason for that?

kamplian--Thanks! That's one of my favorite shots of A'Sharad. True--A'Sharad does have some important things to say. He's gained a lot of wisdom since we've last seen him. Guess he's really not that much older than Anakin--is he?

Well then--we need John after all--never doubted it for a moment...