main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    ROTS has been in USA theatres for a week, for cryin' out loud.

In what world is five days a week? The work week maybe :p

Speaking of the Saleucamians though, I have a larger overall question Jan, how does LFL work stuff like that out?

Is it mostly up to the respective authors and artist to figure out what a Saleucmaian looks like? Or does LFL tell you or have you tweek it?
    If your Saleucmain looks like someone else's Wroonian is it then up to you to figure the work around or does some at LFL do that?

2. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Jan, that's great news that your awesome CIII print(and the others' work) was available for sale through starwarsshop.com. I still think(and agree with GodofDeath)that you could have easily sold out at CIII had there been more awareness that the Art Show was more than one day.

I picked up and read Republic #75 night before EPIII came out. I actually thought it was a great lead-up to EPIII! A better, more enjoyable read than SW:eek:bsession was. Loved seeing Bly and the other clones in thier EPIII gear. About Tholme---now I see what all the big commotion was, lol!

That was cool to see A'Sharad again too. :cool:

EPIII: the film rocked. It was awesome seeing Aayla in a couple of scenes. Wished they were a bit longer though! And the reference to Vos by Kenobi was pricless. Straight up ;)

3. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Are T'Ra Saa and Zao still alive just before Ep III ?

4. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    as of right now - they are still alive in theory - depending on what comics come out today.

due to obi-wan and yoda's "recalibrating" the jedi distress signal - any "stragglers" might have survived. and since JO and JD seem to have given up the opportunity to kill quin themselves -- i would be happy to see the demise of some of their other creations done by themselves at least.

5. Apophis

May 26, 2002
    Indeed, that would be nice ...

6. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    How is THAT C-level, 2nd?

Quinlan was in the Battle of Geonosis/Arena in the Episode II adaptation but undercover as a result of his lack of appearance in the movie. I think...

Oh for the ability to black text over... ;)

7. Apophis

May 26, 2002
    What specie is Astaal Vilbum, the Jedi from the Tower of First Knowledge, in Darkness ?

8. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Astaal Vilbum is a Baragwin.

Jan, looking back at Dreadnaughts of Rendili, the officer who leads the insurrection, Lieutenant Yago, reminds me a lot of the actor Steve Buscemi. Was he supposed to look lik Buscemi, or is it just my mind playing tricks on me?

9. Apophis

May 26, 2002
    And does anybody know what specie Mira is in Jedi : Mace Windu ?

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    ...and the Reversal of Fortune webstrip has a fairly horrific portrayal of Aayla's corpse. Wasn't expecting it to be so gruesome.

11. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Jan I have one request.

During one of the last issues, 81-83, can we see at least ONE Victory Class Star Destroyer? Just one.

12. Jon_Bidinger

Jon_Bidinger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2003
    Cant wait till 81-81....Behind the scenes on kashyyyk....just what everyone wanted.....hope this clears up quins death.

13. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Are T'Ra Saa and Zao still alive just before Ep III ?

Apophis- you gotta check out Republic #76! about 3 weeks before EPIII :D

I noticed one particular clone on pg.19 first panel that I remember seeing of a concept clone in the Making of ROTS book. When I first saw it in the Making of, I thought it was supposed to be a background Jedi wearing full clone armor in a Clone Wars scene. Guess Obi Wan(according to the CW cartoon)is the only Jedi known to have worn clone armor then? Luke in ANH doesn't count!

14. Apophis

May 26, 2002
    Well, I'm still waiting for the TPB's ... :(

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Jan- I checked out your online art gallery, had to comment that the uncropped version of the #43 cover was much better than the final version...that cover never came off right to me, and now I think it's a combination of the cropping/zoom and the color scheme becoming more purple.

The "full" version doesn't have those issues, and has that great detail in the costume and weaponry to boot.

16. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Dave McCaig had to color a version up for 43 quickly for solicitation, then worked on the one you see here some more. Somehow the wrong one got mistaken for the final version. Despite that, it's still one of my favorite covers.

Got some more art coming up on the site. Dug up some character sketches from the Darth Maul series of Sinya (well, that one's there already) Asa Naga, Grargachyyk (can never remember how to spell that one) and Master Lex.

17. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Aphophis asked if T'ra Saa and Zao are alive before Ep III. The answer is yes, they are.

There are so many questions here I did not answer when I was cracking the old deadline whip...I'm going to try to get to a couple every day.

For those who haven't seen it, I've got a bunch of penciled covers and pages of art in a new gallery up on my site-- janduursema.com --also some previously unseen sketches, pages from Darth Maul,etc. It's over at World Famous comics for those of you who might be interested. Lots of folks have been asking about it for a while including Justin who runs the WFC site so... I now no longer have the lamest website ever! :D

18. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Will K'kruhk survive these last issues of republic?I mean hes almost been killed seven times!!
    And who is that on the cover of SW Republic #78?

Jan you are my faveorite artist!!!!! :D

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They can't kill K'Kruhk- even if they tried, by this point, no one would believe he was actually dead ;)

That and the running joke of K'Kruhk as a survivor of multiple deaths is just too good to "kill" off ;)

20. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I hope K'kruhk is the star of the new TV show!!

21. Apophis

May 26, 2002
    He already was in the cartoon so it could be possible.

Now they just have to pronounce his name right ... :p

22. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    When I was at celebration III, Jan pronounced K'kruhk's name the same way Genndy Tartokovsky did on the comentary for the cartoon. That is to say she pronounced it kuh-kruk
    , therefore I now pronounce it that way instead of kuh-kruke like a used to.

23. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Heh. I hope poor ol K'Kruhk dies of old age in his sleep... He sure is one tough Whiphid.

FYI--Randy Stradley who created K'Kruhk pronouces it Kruk.

24. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Couple more thoughts--
    I agree with kampilan--thought Obi mentioning Quinlan Vos and Boz Pity in Ep III was very cool! A real nice nod to the EU. Yeah, Quin should have been in the movie, but the fact that he did not appear gives us a chance to tell the rest of his story.

I'm drawing the first part of the 3 part Kashyyyk arc right now and I've got to tell you that Wookies are the BEST to draw. I could draw Kashyyyk a long time and never get tired of Wookies. Tarful was my favorite (after Chewie of course) Loved the hair and his attitude! My kind of Wookie! :cool:

25. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Does Salporin the Wookiee make an appearance in this arc?